Start by marking “Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films” as Want to Read:

Completely updated to include the entire twentieth century, this new fourth edition covers all the latest directors, stars, and films including Summer of Sam, Jackie Brown, The Best Man, and The Hurricane. From The Birth of a Nation--the groundbreaking work of independent filmmaker Oscar Micheaux--and Gone with the Wind to the latest work by Spike Lee, John Singleton, Denz ...more
Paperback, Fourth Edition, 480 pages
Published October 24th 2001 by Bloomsbury Academic (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks

Resa Boydston
Mar 05, 2015 Resa Boydston rated it liked it
“Toms, Coons, Mulattoes, Mammies, and Bucks: An Interpretive History of Blacks in American Films” by: Donald Bogle. While I liked looking at the many photographs from the plethora of movies, it made me hungry to view all the movies I have missed along the way. I think Bogle was very harsh on the actors. I believe the actors tried to make best out of a horrible situation. I also believe Bogle was not very fair to the directors of recent days—just because he could not see their vision—not the dire ...more
Jeffrey Sheppard
Sep 09, 2015 Jeffrey Sheppard rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Charles Barkley once said "I am not a role model." However, when your actions are seen by millions you are most definitely influential. This book is a great example of how media develops not only our perception of ourselves, but our perception of each other. When there are only a handful of stereotypical roles, these perceptions of ourselves and each other get narrowed severely.

Media literacy is a subject that is ignored in high schools and colleges. From advertising to race relations, media lit
Jim
Nov 05, 2007 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A solid interesting introduction to the use of stereotypes in American film. I was lucky enough to meet Bogle and listen to him lecture to a small class of students (my prof was a friend). He was a delight to listen to. I would recommend this book heartily. As an aside, I got to meet Butterly McQueen (who played Prisy in GWTW) not long after. I have to confess that the reason I read the book in the first place was because I took a class on using black film as a teaching tool.
Serenity
Apr 11, 2007 Serenity rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Must have for anyone who is in entertainment.

Donald Bogle is a film historian who gives you an inside look at the stereotypes of African Americans in film from Birth of a Nation until the present.

This is a MUST have!!!

I am always referring and quoting this book!

Mar 12, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
This book has changed the way I watch and critically analyze films even today. I find myself watching a movie, TV show, or a trailer and immediately able to spot the stereotypes - much more subtle than you'd think - storylines, race relations, and plot devices that have existed for over a hundred years. This book is extremely insightful and has given me perspective on many actors, both known (Will Smith, Denzel, Morgan Freeman, Chris Rock, Chris Tucker, Eddie Murphy) and unknown to me (Dandridge ...more
Caroline
Apr 14, 2013 Caroline rated it really liked it
A really good historical outline of different common roles for black characters in film, as well as some information on the lives of many black stars. Very thorough and straightforward, and interesting as well. Bogle also does a good job of showing how some of the stereotypical roles have continued in different ways over the years, and ways that each category of role has been adapted to fit sentiments during given decades. Definitely recommended if you're interested in learning more about black ...more
samuel johnson
Bogle loves movies. I mean this guy breaks them down. He puts up a good argument. I may have to agree that hollywood will not cast a Black person in a big budget film outside of these established roles.
Braden Scott
Jan 11, 2014 Braden Scott rated it really liked it
Excellent and thorough documentation of american cinéma, however, i would have enjoyed a cross-textual analysis with theoretical and political writings from the times of the filmic releases. The book would have been too big for this, i fear. For an historical text read, it is superbe.
Erica Freeman
Donald Bogle taught a class I took on African-Americans in film and television in grad school...wasn't crazy about him, personally, but he did some valuable work especially where the late Dorothy Dandridge is concerned.
Bryanna Drake
Sep 11, 2012 Bryanna Drake rated it really liked it
Great insight on the typecasting of African American actors
Janelle
Jan 31, 2008 Janelle rated it it was amazing
The atrocities and stereotypes that still exist today in Hollywood in relation to African-American actors and actresses. The struggle still continues and is veiled by blockbuster dreams.
Jim Pauls
Mar 04, 2015 Jim Pauls rated it liked it
Shelves: textbooks
Read this book for a class in University about racism against blacks in America through film. This book is well written and is a great reference for the influence of colored people on American film
A.C.
Jun 06, 2011 A.C. rated it it was amazing
An excellent book on African American Film. Highly recommended for anyone who needs to teach on the topic and has a greater than general interest in the topic.
Dennis Greene
Jun 19, 2015 Dennis Greene rated it really liked it
An early, but still important history of African American films.
Sonja Williams
Feb 19, 2015 Sonja Williams rated it it was amazing
Great reference book
Stephen Masson
Stephen Masson rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2016
Kyle
Kyle rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2012
James
James rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2010
Jonathan Brantley
Jonathan Brantley rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2012
Kimberly Fisher
Kimberly Fisher rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2007
Olga Bourlin
Olga Bourlin rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Z.
Z. rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2008
Jeff
Jeff rated it really liked it
May 20, 2012
J
J rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2011
LB Johnson
LB Johnson rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2012
Kathryn Kreyenbuhl-gardner
Kathryn Kreyenbuhl-gardner rated it it was amazing
Sep 03, 2014
Michael Hoskin
Michael Hoskin rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2014
Nagat
Nagat rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2007
  • From Reverence to Rape: The Treatment of Women in the Movies
  • The Death of Rhythm and Blues
  • From Caligari to Hitler: A Psychological History of German Film
  • A Woman's View: How Hollywood Spoke to Women, 1930-1960
  • Blues People: Negro Music in White America
  • Love and Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class
  • Midnight Movies
  • The Hip Hop Wars: What We Talk About When We Talk About Hip Hop--and Why It Matters
  • Everything But the Burden: What White People Are Taking from Black Culture