Start by marking “America: A Narrative History” as Want to Read:
America: A Narrative History

America: A Narrative History

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  24 reviews
America, now in its twenty-fifth year, has sold more 1.2 million copies over the past seven editions and remains the most affordable history text on the market. The Brief Eighth Edition offers the attractive features of the full-length text lively and accessible narrative style, a keen balance of political with social and cultural history, a full-color layout, and exceptio ...more
Paperback, Brief Eighth Edition, 1406 pages
Published November 1st 2009 by W.W. Norton & Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about America

Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
First off, let me clear something up: I AM A HISTORY BUFF. I ADORE HISTORY. I have been known to read history textbooks FOR FUN. So when I say I hated this... it's not just cuz it's a) history or b) a textbook.

It's because it was a HORRIBLY written, unclear, confusing, History Textbook, riddled with historical mistakes and oversights. This is basic history. My time period. It goes up to Lincoln's assassination. I have been studying the 1700's-1900's my entire life. That's my favorite time perio
Mike Hankins
This is a fairly basic undergrad textbook on American History. I focused on volume 1, so I'm not sure about the second half. But it was not great but not bad. It gives a solid overview of major events in a very easy-to-read narrative fashion. It's perfect for someone who wants to quickly gloss through major events of American history. the problem with this, of course, is that it doesn't (and can't) devote time to really exploring certain things or discussing alternate views historians may have. ...more
This is the eighth edition of America: A Narrative History.

Do you know what I really don't like about history books? They are so long yet they still count as one book. And this one is required reading for my AP US History class. Let me say this first: Oh, my gosh. It is so boring in the beginning. I just can't even open my eyes to let those words in. I just can't, but I do promise you that it does get better... and worse.

Where should I even start? Quotes, Quotes.

Quotes are great, but they don
Nostalgia Reader
Nope, nope, nope. I probably should give it another chance, now that I'm years past my APUSH class. But I doubt I will. It definitely didn't help my understanding of anything that was "taught" in the class. The narrative is broad--it tries to focus, but doesn't really succeed--and is biased as HELL.

If you want to learn American history with the idea that "white men have done absolutely NOTHING wrong in the history of our country, no, srsly, absolutely nothing," then this is great. But I don't th
Sylvia McIvers
This book covers American history from the aftermath of the Civil War until the 2000 presidential elections, which is about as close to ‘the present time’ as a history book can reach. (Volume 2 does not start with page 1, but picks up where Vol. 1 left off.)

I did not go forth and choose to read this book, as I did with other history overviews and biographies. Instead, I found it on the desk in the tutoring room, where someone else must have used it and abandoned it. I had no intention of reading
The entire One-Volume is online as a PDF that pops up once one searches "Tindall America ninth" (link:

The textbook is filled with the usual egalitarian, feminist twist on everything. But I gained a lot from it (and am decidedly anti-American--it's official), in terms of it allowing me to extend my principles into new territory. America truly was an "experiment" of, ultimately, democratic imperialism, and the first nation to ever found itself on ideolog
As someone who likes history but hates studying it, this textbook was a gem. It is very brief and to the point, but it's the little things that really make this textbook shine.

The first great bit that I loved was the free website that they offer with the book. Most other companies charge for this, so this was like having a little extra help for free. The next part that I liked was that there were plenty of little questions peppered throughout the book (usually under one of the many pictures) th
Bill Polson
I started reading this book along with 3 others when I was selecting a textbook for my AP classes and as I disliked one it was dropped from the rotation. I'd read one chapter from one book and the next from another. When I finished the process I ended with this one, a great text for US History.
Jeffrey Warner
I use this as my AP US History textbook. It is highly readable and does a fairly good job overall of laying a foundation for primary source engagement, more detailed supplementary material and further in-depth instruction. It is the only textbook I've read cover to cover and not felt it to be consistently more of a chore than a pleasure. The timelines at the beginning of chapters are great overview tools but as a teaching text there aren't any "review sets" and terms to just simply assign. Solid ...more
A complete history of America, from the earliest migrations to the continent, through the Vikings, and everything from the 1400's through the Clinton presidency. Well written and flowing, it reads like a good novel full of history rather than a list of dates, names, and places.

Additionally, at the end of every chapter, there's a Further Reading section with references to books that cover subjects of that chapter in further detail.
A thorough and comprehensive overview of American History from Pre-Colonial through the last presidential election. The free online tests and gradebook were also helpful in using this as a homeschool text. Unlike many texts, it didn't ignore our spiritual heritage and wasn't as liberal in its bias as most. In fact, the authors seemed to be equally cynical about the left and the right!
My husband had to read this book for his history classes. I read it for my own edification. It just seemed biased and abbreivated from other history books I've read. It was interesting to read a history book for no educational purpose. It was a good introduction to dig deeper into other topics for other points of view.
Fredrick Danysh
This is volume two of a revisionist history of America. He attempts political correctness over actual facts. While forced to use this as a text for a college history class I found many glaring errors and twisting of facts. However, some of the history portrayed is factual.
It's a textbook so it's definitely not something you pick up for fun. However, I liked the format and it wasn't completely dull. It gives a good overview of American history so if you are looking for something like that, then this is the book for you.
Jan 07, 2010 Jessica is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book is an amazing source for learning about our counrty's history. Although it is indeed dificult to memorize all i need to know from this book for my AP exams, it is a thrill to read this informational work of literature
This book on the history of the United States is an indepth look at the very start to just after the civil war. Enjoyed the authors ability to bring you into the history.
It was OK for a textbook and easy to read, but he skimmed over a lot, and he had an awkward way of integrating unrelated or unimportant quotes into the text.
A different take on American history; truly a narrative history of America. I'm enjoying this book! Too bad I only own volume 1 :)
weirdly, I had this assigned in both high school history and university political science. gah.
Wonderful capture of our country. Loved studying in the class particularly due to this book!
Mike Anderson
Volume 1. Thorough telling of American history through reconstruction.
Aug 28, 2012 Anette is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Among textbooks, its a gem. But fun reading it is not.
Wisteria Leigh
American history,narrative,UNH,
good reference, boring, lacks sources
Tyler marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Monica added it
Nov 21, 2015
Michelle Scalzo
Michelle Scalzo marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
  • Andrew Jackson and His Indian Wars
  • After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection
  • In Bluebeard's Castle: Some Notes Towards the Redefinition of Culture
  • Notes on the Death of Culture: Essays on Spectacle and Society
  • What Ever Happened to Modernism?
  • Pleasure Bound: Victorian Sex Rebels and the New Eroticism