Start by marking “Halley's Bible Handbook” as Want to Read:
Halley's Bible Handbook

Halley's Bible Handbook

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  694 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Clear . . . Simple . . . Easy to read -- This world-renowned Bible handbook is updated and revised to provide even greater clarity, insight, and usefulness. Now with NIV text! Do you need help understanding the Bible? Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version makes the Bible's wisdom and message accessible to you. Whether you've never read the Bible before...more
Published May 7th 2002 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1924)

To ask other readers questions about Halley's Bible Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halley's Bible Handbook

Wayne S.
Henry Hampton Halley (1874-1965) was born in Kentucky, graduated from Transylvania College and the College of the Bible in 1895, and became a minister associated with Christian Churches in 1898. When he presented his well known “Bible Recitals” in which he quoted lengthy portions of Scripture and explained them, he would first reveal the historical background and contextual information of each passage. People began asking him for some of this information, so he decided to write his own introduct...more
John
I bought this book because it was free in the Kindle store for a spell. I'm glad I didn't pay anything for it.

Overall, my problem with this book is twofold: 1) it takes an unquestioning literalist view of the entire Bible, and 2) it demonstrates a severe lack of intellectual curiosity throughout.

I maintain that the result is worse than no study guide whatsoever.

The fact that Christianity is a broad tent, and that the Bible has been read in various ways over the centuries and today, is lost to Ha...more
Orpiment99
The version of this book I am reviewing is the 24th edition, with the 28th printing in 1978.

First, the good:

1. Black-and-white photos of ruins, artifacts, and drawn maps. I know many people don't like these old layouts but I think the non-colored maps are easy to view. They are not hard on my eyes and while modern, geographical colored maps would be nice, these maps are good for general comprehension.

2. Incorporated archaeological notes and insights. While this book may be dated and it's archaeo...more
Sara
This popped up in my Recommendations and I realized I had read it in the 80's - maybe not every word, but I used it quite a bit as a good reference.
Mikey
I was disappointed with the updated version. I also have the 22nd edition published in 1959/
Lillie
I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started this. I had given up secular reading for Lent and intended to read several Christian books during that time. But this overwhelmed me and kept me reading far beyond Lent. The other books I planned to read are still waiting.

Halley's Bible Handbook began in 1922 as a 16-page hand-printed pamphlet that Henry Halley gave out to encourage people to read and understand the Bible. Halley started as a clergyman but was told by his doctor that he ha...more
Marian Brown
Aug 01, 2009 Marian Brown rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Marian by: 21st Century Christian Booksellers
I have been reading this book all summer. I agree with Mr. Halley that every well educated person should study the Bible on a regular basis. Just the history that is taught in the Bible is a great study in itself. The way that the author writes gives me the feeling that he is talking in a down to earth friendly way about this fabulous piece of literature. He gives Christians a picture of what the Bible is about from start to finish so that we can see the whole picture of why things happened the...more
Kathleen Dixon
I can see how this book made it into my 100 Christian Books That Changed the Century list. It seems extraordinarily comprehensive and authoritative, and it prefaces itself with "the Bible is the inerring Word of God."

I have to say I'm very pleased that I re-read my beginnings of the "100 Christian Books ...." challenge, and I didn't say I'd actually READ every page of every book. So I wasn't cheating when I whipped through this at a breakneck scan.
Kev Chambers
Read the most important chapter of this book
Trinity Knight
I think its an amazing book
Matthew
I used to love this handbook but I've since found better ones (baker illustrated) and since finding a better one this sits on the shelf more and more. Often it's very brief contextual and even historical background compared to the Baker is illustrated handbook I have. I still like it better than other handbooks I've looked at so I say it's a three star review.
Linda
I learned about who was believed to author the gospels and the rest of the new testament. This is a great reference book that descries the modern day area of the land where the disciples and Jesus lived. Plenty of histoy is included in this author's writing. I will use this book more than once and I am glad to have a copy of it when I have questions.
Dante Ferrigno
Mar 27, 2013 Dante Ferrigno rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dante by: Terry Dickie
Really it's not bad, though three stars makes it look so, it's just that Unger's Bible Handbook is so much better. I was going to give it 2 stars because "It was OK" better describes my thoughts on the book than "I liked it" which is what 3 stars stands for, but 2 stars just makes it look worse than my true opinion of the book.
Dave Jones
Supposedly this is taught in seminary courses. I was not overly impressed. So-so survey of the bible but not an overly scholarly treatment. I don't understand why this book is as popular as it its.
Rick
The issue for me is that this is a bit too concise. It does provide a broad outline of the biblical storyline, but you will need something more comprehensive for any details.
Skylar Burris
I used an older version of this when I first began studying the Bible. It was quite helpful if slightly limited in its perspective.
Kimberly McRae
A good book by book synopsis of the topical information contained in the Bible.
Kevin
I read this when i was in middle school...not worth your time.
Ed
How can i read this book?for free. Can anyone help me please,!
Chris
Oct 07, 2009 Chris is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Awsome historical account of the Bible!
David
Classic reference book.
Prpl
Dec 07, 2012 Prpl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Great resource!
James
good overview
Cathrine
Cathrine marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
  • The New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible
  • Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words: With Topical Index
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible: Complete and Unabridged in One Volume
  • What the Bible Is All About Bible Handbook NIV Edition
  • The Apologetics Study Bible: Understand Why You Believe
  • An Introduction to the New Testament
  • How to Read the Bible Book by Book: A Guided Tour
  • Grasping God's Word: A Hands-On Approach to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the Bible
  • The Book of the Acts, Revised
  • Where To Find It In The Bible The Ultimate A To Z Resource Series
  • The Message of Acts: The Spirit, the Church, and the World (Bible Speaks Today NT)
  • 30 Days to Understanding the Bible in 15 Minutes in a Day
  • How to Pray
  • Peace with God: The Secret Happiness
  • Basics of Biblical Greek Workbook
  • Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia
  • HarperCollins Study Bible - Student Edition: Fully Revised & Updated (New Revised Standard Version)
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
Halley's Bible Handbook with the New International Version---Deluxe Edition Respuestas a Las Dificultades de La Vida The Jewish People and the Holy Land: A Zondervan Digital Short An Illustrated Introduction to Jesus's Life and Ministry: A Zondervan Digital Short Finding Jesus in the Old Testament: A Zondervan Digital Short