Start by marking “Burial to Follow” as Want to Read:
Burial to Follow

Burial to Follow

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  34 reviews

To ask other readers questions about Burial to Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burial to Follow

Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: When Jacob Ridgehorn dies, it's up to Roby Snow to help his soul move along to its proper reward. Roby can only accomplish this through the means of a very special pie. And Roby must complete his mission, or face down Johnny Divine, with his own soul at stake.

My Review: Roby Snow tends to the grieving families of Barkersville's newly departed. His job, it seems, is to insert himself into the survivors and influence the outcome of their grieving process to
Dave Pope
This was a pointless exercise for me. I enjoy my horror upfront and 'in my face'. Because I'm a completionist I had to finish the story and thankfully it was not a long read and for the most part it just kind of lulled me into a state of lethargy. Not one of Scott Nicholson's best I'm afraid. Subtle doesn't scare me at all. It is well written but there was simply no shock factor or adrenalin boost as far as I'm concerned. I like my horror to hit me like a shot of nitroglycerine, not like a cool ...more
Stacy
This book was so pointless. I am still not sure why he even wrote it. It seemed like it started and ended in the middle of a book. I hope all of his shorter books/stories are not like this one. Nothing ever happened...pointless!
Scott Nicholson
Oct 31, 2010 Scott Nicholson rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
interesting story...but I knew how it would end
Matt Schiariti
This isn't really a horror novella. I wouldn't say it's suspense either. As with many other Nicholson works it's hard to put it in any one category.

Roby Snow is helping the Ridgehorn family through the loss of their recently lost patriarch Jacob. Roby is a distant relation you see and that's what family does right? Being such a distant relation to the deceased how can he be of much help though? He can be thoughtful and help clean up the kitchen during the sitting...offer a shoulder to cry on...a
Jan Strnad
Aug 13, 2010 Jan Strnad rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: general readers, not just genre fans.
I know Scott Nicholson as a horror writer so I had an inkling of what was coming with Burial to Follow. I was surprised, though, at the relatively lengthy opening where nothing apparently horrific was happening. Instead, I was enthralled by a human drama that unfolded carefully and deliciously. The characters were sharp and interesting and I was quickly drawn into their world.

As the supernatural element emerged, I realized that the story wasn't really "horror" per se, though it was certainly un
Christa
Burial to Follow is the kind of fascinating story I have come to expect from Scott Nicholson: intriguing, suspenseful plot, vivid details, and an insightful depiction of human motives, yearnings, and desires. The perfect blend of real and surreal elements, of the macabre and the humorous makes for a delightful read. Scott's stories and novels have a local, Southern flair (and if you are interested in delicious Southern food, this is the story for you) but speak to readers everywhere. The mixture ...more
Katy
Roby Snow has a job to do – he spends his time going from viewing to funeral and back again, helping families deal with the loss of their loved one, and coaxing them to eat. Especially he coaxes them to eat the special pie that Beverly Parsons makes. However, what happens if someone in the family has no appetite, or is dieting, or otherwise refuses to eat?

This was a bizarre little story, and I really enjoyed it. We learn, slowly, exactly what is going on as the story progresses, and the characte
Kat
A ridiculously quick read.
I guess this is really a short story.
And I couldn't write much about it or else it'll just give the whole plot away.
I was expecting this to be more spooky than it really was, so now I'm a little bummed by the non-spookiness.
But it's interesting to read about death, sittings and the food served in these sittings. The funerals and the sittings I've been to have no food involved...
The ending, or when the whole interconnectness of things happening were revealed, then it ra
Linda Acaster
This is a cracking novella. Scott Nicholson can articulate the language and understands human nature and he knows how to meld the two for the benefit of readers. This is a slow-burn but riveting story of observing the rituals of grief and familial duty in a US rural community - with all concerned desperate to break their self-imposed bonds. Despite being a contemporary story, echoes of a time before seeped through its open pores. Roby Snow narrates in a quiet, unrushed, yet poignant tone, that a ...more
Claudia
Somehow I stumbled upon Scott Nicholson and thought I would buy one of his books. I didn't realize this was a novella, but it did not dissapoint! It was well crafted and Scott did an amazing job of creating a character in Roby Snow that I wanted to get to know better...It had all the elements of the macabre with just a touch of horror. The only thing bad I can say about the book is that it made me hungry (all that talk of pie) and I gorged after reading! I will definitely be reading more books b ...more
Lynne Chabot
I saw the ending a mile away...Thinner anyone?
Rob Errera
Scott Nicholson often writes about the strange burgs and creepy backwaters found along the Appalachian Trail, and Burial to Follow is no exception. I'll admit, I didn't understand everything that was going on in this novella - something about helping recently departed souls cross over by eating memorial pies - but Nicholson's ability to create a genuine Southern Gothic atmosphere tinged with dread keep you engaged until the final page.

Scott Collins
Well written though I found the concept to be pretty bizarre. I couldn't really get into the story and found that I didn't really connect with any of the characters, though I finished the book due to a combination of morbid curiosity and a desire to figure out just what the h*ll was going on.
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Dec 31, 2011 Byron 'Giggsy' Paul rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Stephen King, southern gothic/horror
This was my second Nicholson read, the first being the short story collection Scattered Ashes. Both have reminded me of Stephen King's grasp of true human fears and Hemingway's ability to make the mundane a riveting read.

Nicholson is clearly one of America's most undervalued writers.
Lori Henrich
This was a strange story. It took forever to get to the point. I kept thinking that the story seemed to go nowhere. Well it did go somewhere, I guess I just didn't like where it went. It was a quick read so thankfully I didn't waste alot of time on it.
Gef
A southern-fried novella about a rural family's heartache and hardship in the wake of the patriarch's death. It's a story that is more than a little off the beaten path, but it's worth given a chance if you feel so inclined.
Lauralynn Elliott
Another good book by Scott Nicholson. My favorite is still The Red Church, but Burial to Follow is also a good read. I'll have to say, I'm really glad I found this author. I'll be reading more Nicholson books.
Scot
A well written atmospheric story about a man who helps the recently departed on their way by having their families eat a special pie. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Marie
The concept is strong, but the story might have benefited from just a little tightening. I saw it coming a little too early and some of the vividness is drowned by the details.
Dinah
An interesting little story. I liked the subject, but I felt like it was trying too hard to be mysterious. At the end, it did not all "come together" for me.
Sandra Gilbert
Interesting story and gives an odd look at funerals and the rites that surround them. Then again, Scott is know for his unique look at topics. :P
Deb Coy
Interesting, thought provoking..but not exactly what I was looking for..I like his more "horror".Great 99 cent Kindle read!
Melanti
Like his collection Ashes, this falls on the eerie side of horror rather than slasher film fear. (This is a good thing!)
Ingrid
This was an interesting read, but not as captivating as some of Mr. Nicholson's other reads.
Denise
I did enjoy the book. At times it was hard to follow. But over all was a great read.
Jeremy Poole
I found this book difficult to finish. In the end I asked myself why? I had no answer.
Bethica
This book was a little confusing towards the end but really full of suspense throughout.
Candy
This was a fantastic tale I will never think of funeral's in same way again
Holly Stouffer
Great short story. Loved it! Reminded me of Stephen Kings style a little bit.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Bone Factory
  • Horror Stories
  • Aberrations
  • Pagan
  • Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3)
  • Dark Passage
  • The Mister Trophy (Markhat, #1)
  • First Chosen (Tears of Rage, #1)
  • The High-Wizard’s Hunt
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...
The Red Church (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #1) Write Good or Die Speed Dating with the Dead Ashes Liquid Fear