Start by marking “Burial to Follow” as Want to Read:
Burial to Follow

Burial to Follow

Published (first published April 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Burial to Follow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Burial to Follow

Richard Derus
Mar 08, 2012 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: 3.5* of five

The Publisher Says: When Jacob Ridgehorn dies, it's up to Roby Snow to help his soul move along to its proper reward. Roby can only accomplish this through the means of a very special pie. And Roby must complete his mission, or face down Johnny Divine, with his own soul at stake.

My Review: Roby Snow tends to the grieving families of Barkersville's newly departed. His job, it seems, is to insert himself into the survivors and influence the outcome of their grieving process to
Bandit
Jan 20, 2016 Bandit rated it it was ok
Scott Nicholson never really did it for me back when I used to love and almost exclusively read horror. Now I don't so much, but I had an hour to pass and this was free and around, so why not. It seems like my opinion of Nicholson's work remains the same. Just not my thing. He can write decently enough, but there is a something of a blandness to his storytelling and the Appalachian yokel tales just really hold no interest for me. This novella does have an original idea at heart, it's readable, i ...more
Dave Pope
Jun 08, 2014 Dave Pope rated it did not like it
This was a pointless exercise for me. I enjoy my horror upfront and 'in my face'. Because I'm a completionist I had to finish the story and thankfully it was not a long read and for the most part it just kind of lulled me into a state of lethargy. Not one of Scott Nicholson's best I'm afraid. Subtle doesn't scare me at all. It is well written but there was simply no shock factor or adrenalin boost as far as I'm concerned. I like my horror to hit me like a shot of nitroglycerine, not like a cool ...more
Stacy
Jan 10, 2014 Stacy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so pointless. I am still not sure why he even wrote it. It seemed like it started and ended in the middle of a book. I hope all of his shorter books/stories are not like this one. Nothing ever happened...pointless!
Byron  'Giggsy' Paul
Oct 08, 2011 Byron 'Giggsy' Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Stephen King, southern gothic/horror
This was my second Nicholson read, the first being the short story collection Scattered Ashes. Both have reminded me of Stephen King's grasp of true human fears and Hemingway's ability to make the mundane a riveting read.

Nicholson is clearly one of America's most undervalued writers.
Scott Nicholson
Oct 31, 2010 Scott Nicholson rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
interesting story...but I knew how it would end
Matt Schiariti
Nov 15, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing
This isn't really a horror novella. I wouldn't say it's suspense either. As with many other Nicholson works it's hard to put it in any one category.

Roby Snow is helping the Ridgehorn family through the loss of their recently lost patriarch Jacob. Roby is a distant relation you see and that's what family does right? Being such a distant relation to the deceased how can he be of much help though? He can be thoughtful and help clean up the kitchen during the sitting...offer a shoulder to cry on...a
Jan Strnad
Aug 13, 2010 Jan Strnad rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: general readers, not just genre fans.
I know Scott Nicholson as a horror writer so I had an inkling of what was coming with Burial to Follow. I was surprised, though, at the relatively lengthy opening where nothing apparently horrific was happening. Instead, I was enthralled by a human drama that unfolded carefully and deliciously. The characters were sharp and interesting and I was quickly drawn into their world.

As the supernatural element emerged, I realized that the story wasn't really "horror" per se, though it was certainly un
Katy
Dec 20, 2011 Katy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
Roby Snow has a job to do – he spends his time going from viewing to funeral and back again, helping families deal with the loss of their loved one, and coaxing them to eat. Especially he coaxes them to eat the special pie that Beverly Parsons makes. However, what happens if someone in the family has no appetite, or is dieting, or otherwise refuses to eat?

This was a bizarre little story, and I really enjoyed it. We learn, slowly, exactly what is going on as the story progresses, and the characte
Christa
Aug 29, 2010 Christa rated it it was amazing
Burial to Follow is the kind of fascinating story I have come to expect from Scott Nicholson: intriguing, suspenseful plot, vivid details, and an insightful depiction of human motives, yearnings, and desires. The perfect blend of real and surreal elements, of the macabre and the humorous makes for a delightful read. Scott's stories and novels have a local, Southern flair (and if you are interested in delicious Southern food, this is the story for you) but speak to readers everywhere. The mixture ...more
Linda Acaster
Mar 08, 2011 Linda Acaster rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a cracking novella. Scott Nicholson can articulate the language and understands human nature and he knows how to meld the two for the benefit of readers. This is a slow-burn but riveting story of observing the rituals of grief and familial duty in a US rural community - with all concerned desperate to break their self-imposed bonds. Despite being a contemporary story, echoes of a time before seeped through its open pores. Roby Snow narrates in a quiet, unrushed, yet poignant tone, that a ...more
Kat
Jun 15, 2011 Kat rated it liked it
A ridiculously quick read.
I guess this is really a short story.
And I couldn't write much about it or else it'll just give the whole plot away.
I was expecting this to be more spooky than it really was, so now I'm a little bummed by the non-spookiness.
But it's interesting to read about death, sittings and the food served in these sittings. The funerals and the sittings I've been to have no food involved...
The ending, or when the whole interconnectness of things happening were revealed, then it ra
Elizabeth Noah Astle
A very short read. Scott Nicholson is known for his horror books. I don't think this one quite falls into tbis category as it was not a scared beyond words type book for me.

Without spoiling it the book is about Roby Snow who goes around to families to make sure the are eating the death pie baked for them after a family member has passed. This stor centers around jacob Ridgehorn who has recenter passed away. Roby is doing what he can to make sure his soul goes forward.

This book has a lot of Sou
Claudia
Jan 16, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing
Somehow I stumbled upon Scott Nicholson and thought I would buy one of his books. I didn't realize this was a novella, but it did not dissapoint! It was well crafted and Scott did an amazing job of creating a character in Roby Snow that I wanted to get to know better...It had all the elements of the macabre with just a touch of horror. The only thing bad I can say about the book is that it made me hungry (all that talk of pie) and I gorged after reading! I will definitely be reading more books b ...more
Rob Errera
Jul 03, 2012 Rob Errera rated it liked it
Scott Nicholson often writes about the strange burgs and creepy backwaters found along the Appalachian Trail, and Burial to Follow is no exception. I'll admit, I didn't understand everything that was going on in this novella - something about helping recently departed souls cross over by eating memorial pies - but Nicholson's ability to create a genuine Southern Gothic atmosphere tinged with dread keep you engaged until the final page.

Scott Collins
Apr 29, 2012 Scott Collins rated it liked it
Well written though I found the concept to be pretty bizarre. I couldn't really get into the story and found that I didn't really connect with any of the characters, though I finished the book due to a combination of morbid curiosity and a desire to figure out just what the h*ll was going on.
Lori Henrich
This was a strange story. It took forever to get to the point. I kept thinking that the story seemed to go nowhere. Well it did go somewhere, I guess I just didn't like where it went. It was a quick read so thankfully I didn't waste alot of time on it.
Lauralynn Elliott
Sep 27, 2010 Lauralynn Elliott rated it really liked it
Another good book by Scott Nicholson. My favorite is still The Red Church, but Burial to Follow is also a good read. I'll have to say, I'm really glad I found this author. I'll be reading more Nicholson books.
Gef
Jun 25, 2010 Gef rated it liked it
Shelves: southern-gothic
A southern-fried novella about a rural family's heartache and hardship in the wake of the patriarch's death. It's a story that is more than a little off the beaten path, but it's worth given a chance if you feel so inclined.
Marie
Jul 25, 2013 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The concept is strong, but the story might have benefited from just a little tightening. I saw it coming a little too early and some of the vividness is drowned by the details.
Scot
Jul 15, 2012 Scot rated it really liked it
A well written atmospheric story about a man who helps the recently departed on their way by having their families eat a special pie. I am looking forward to reading more from this author.
Michell
Mar 27, 2011 Michell rated it liked it
While I liked the concept of the story, and (with growing revulsion) realized exactly what was going on, it was kind of flat. Could've used more suspense.
Sandra Gilbert
May 23, 2012 Sandra Gilbert rated it really liked it
Interesting story and gives an odd look at funerals and the rites that surround them. Then again, Scott is know for his unique look at topics. :P
Melanti
Like his collection Ashes, this falls on the eerie side of horror rather than slasher film fear. (This is a good thing!)
Deb Wakolee
Interesting, thought provoking..but not exactly what I was looking for..I like his more "horror".Great 99 cent Kindle read!
Dinah
Jan 16, 2012 Dinah rated it it was ok
An interesting little story. I liked the subject, but I felt like it was trying too hard to be mysterious. At the end, it did not all "come together" for me.
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was ok
Jun 03, 2012
Heather
Feb 21, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it
Shelves: kindle-fire
i just couldn't finish this one....
Eden Renda
Sep 05, 2013 Eden Renda rated it it was amazing
I liked it a lot. kept my interest and good story line
Xim
Xim rated it did not like it
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Vampire Club
  • Loss
  • Dismember
  • The Witch Stones : Gathering Of The Covens
  • The Cadaver Client (Markhat, #4)
  • Shadow Stations: Unseen
  • Deadly Night (Ghosthunters 101, #1)
  • Under the Scotch Broom
  • Pagan
  • Moonlight
  • Halestorm
  • Call Each River Jordan (Abel Jones, #3)
  • Specimen 313
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy
  • The High-Wizard’s Hunt
  • See Mommy Run
  • The Witch's Stone
  • The Perfect Game (The Perfect Game, #1)
With more than 500,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an
More about Scott Nicholson...