Start by marking “The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #3)

The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya #3)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  1,196 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This third volume in the Haruhi Suzumiya series is a collection of four exciting short stories that chronologically take place before The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya.

The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya:
In her latest attempt to give the S.O.S. Brigade more public exposure, Haruhi signs the group up for the city-wide baseball tournament.

Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody:
It's like Back To the Fut
Published July 1st 2010 by Yen On (first published December 27th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya

Kenchiin
Oct 12, 2015 Kenchiin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-novel
Mystery, time-travel, and some action. A wonderful mix for this third volume.
Timothy Stone
Sep 16, 2015 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya is the third volume in the series, and takes a slightly different approach to relating the further adventures of Kyon's life dealing with Haruhi's annoying reality-warping abilities. Instead of one, unified story, we have four short stories.

These stories are a mix of short works for magazines and just something the author wrote that was too long for being published in a magazine, but too short for a full book. Thus, it was put here.

The stories take place around the
Chibineko
I'll admit that I was a little bored with the previous volume in the series. It was good but not great & felt just a little well, stale in comparison to how fun the first volume was. This is a big improvement although I have to say that I just didn't get into it as much as I wanted to.

This volume is comprised of several short stories, some of which I loved & some I didn't. I have to admit that I liked the time travel story as well as the one concerning the computer club president. Those
Alex
Jul 07, 2015 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: light-novels
Three stars seems a little bit unfair but damn if I can't be allowed to be a little unfair on occasion. The truth is that I thoroughly enjoyed this third outing of the SOS Club and particularly appreciated the shift from longer adventures to short and succinct stories. The trouble is, as an artform we all know that the short story is the hardest art to master and, as entertaining as these stories are on one level, each and every one of them just falls short of achieve the level of idea or grace ...more
Remy
Feb 08, 2014 Remy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a break
I just love this series. Every time my life gets crazy, and the last thing I want to think about is reading some dense tome, I just pop open another one of these babies. That's not to say they are intellectually void, of course. However, all of the interesting contemplative features of this series lie in the premise, not the execution. It's as if the author has proposed a very interesting thought experiment, and is merely exploring the intriguing consequences through each short story. The reader ...more
Josef Hare
Jul 27, 2015 Josef Hare rated it really liked it
The third entry in the Haruhi Suzumiya series is a mixed bag quite literally, it is the first novel by Tanigawa that is composed of short stories stitched together for the purpose of publishing. Each story has it's own values and reasosn for existing, the first one for example is a simple narrative about the SOS Brigade getting involved in a baseball tournament, and whilst there is some further observances into the main conflict of the series, that is, Haruhi's effect on the world, it exists sol ...more
Marty Preslar
Dec 15, 2010 Marty Preslar rated it liked it
Arielle
Mar 17, 2011 Arielle rated it it was amazing
I love this book! This series is one of my favorites ever, I have to say. To describe the plot is kind of hard, but I'll try to sum up the first book first.

An ordinary boy who goes by the unfortunate nickname of Kyon used to believe in aliens, time travelers, and espers, until one day he decided that they were illogical and couldn't exist. Now a high school freshman, his world and logic is turned upside down when he meets Haruhi Suzumiya, a girl who is convinced that supernatural things like ali
Theresa ♫
To my fellow review readers:
Please note that this review will be filled with not only my review, but there will DEFINITELY be spoilers, rambling, and babbling about other topics because that's just how random I am.
If you are not ready to endure the awesomeness of the randomness of this review, I advise that you locate away from this page.

Let me state something first before I start this review:

I AM SOOOO EXTREMELY GRATEFUL THAT THERE IS A PARANORMAL STORY IN THIS WORLD WITHOUT VAMPIRES.

Or werewol
Sean O'Hara
The third volume of the Haruhi Suzumiya series turns out to be a collection of short stories set between the first two novels. This is a bit confusing as the events of some of these stories were referenced in Sigh , so really you should read this first -- except that Kyon is telling these tales retrospectively sometime after the Cultural Festival, and makes reference to the events of Sigh. So, yeah, anachronic order is a bitch.

Anyway, the stories:

The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya: Haruhi decides t
James
In the third instalment of the frenetic and unpredictable adventures of Haruhi Suzumiya and the SOS Brigade, there are four short stories that cover various adventures from baseball to travelling to alternate dimensions.

In "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya", Haruhi signs the SOS Brigade up for a baseball tournament, which they must win lest Haruhi get bored and create disastrous closed space. Thanks to Kyon, Yuki, and Itsuki the SOS brigade team win their first game, only owing to supernatural aid
Nathanael Booth
Dec 04, 2010 Nathanael Booth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Boredom," unlike its two predecessors, is a collection of shorter adventures. This proves to be a strength; where "Sigh" felt padded, each story here fills exactly the space it needs, without needless re-iteration of who’s who. The strongest stories are, no doubt, “Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody” and “Remote Island Syndrome”—the former of which plays with time travel in a way that may not be exactly original, but which is nonetheless fun and interesting, while the latter gives a terrific send-up of Golde ...more
Deadwish
Reseña completa en mi blog:

El libro recopila cuatro historias. Cada una es diferente y tiene sus puntos fuertes y débiles. En particular me han gustado las dos primeras, sobre todo Rapsodia de la hoja de bambú, por ser tan importante en la saga. La de béisbol es divertida y tiene sus momentos de peligro.
Mysterique Sign nunca me llamó la atención. No es mala, pero más que entretenida me resulta curiosa.
El síndrome de la isla remota es el que menos me gusta.
Jeffrey
Dec 13, 2010 Jeffrey rated it liked it
Easily the best entry in the Haruhi Suzumiya series so far, Boredom is four short stories, mostly published in other places first, as opposed to a single novel.

The characters are well served by this shorter format. Most of the stories are around 40 pages and it suits Tanigawa's writing style. Additionally, this book, while it never turns away from its usual focus on Kyon and Haruhi, subtly increases bookworm Yuki Nagato's involvement, making for a more entertaining read as her personality isn't
Rene Signoret
Dec 04, 2014 Rene Signoret rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, it was nice all the stories, specially the island story.
Mateo Sánchez
Jun 14, 2016 Mateo Sánchez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Muy buenas historias, algunas de ellas utilizadas como relleno en el anime, pero el libro las cuenta con más detalle haciéndolas más envolventes.
Ashley Will
Apr 02, 2014 Ashley Will rated it really liked it
Fun collection of four different stories in the Haruhi Suzumiya series
Adrian
May 29, 2016 Adrian rated it really liked it
Another great entry into the Haruhi Light novel series!
D.M. Dutcher
Mar 07, 2013 D.M. Dutcher rated it it was ok
This is more a collection of short stories than a full light novel, and they generally aren't that good because there really isn't any growth to the S.O.S. brigade. They just get put into a slightly weird situation that seem to fizzle out or resolve too easily. The best one is the first, in which crazy Haruhi gets the team to do baseball. Some are just weird; why a cave cricket?

There are better volumes in the series.

Cristián
May 15, 2013 Cristián rated it liked it
I was probably a little harsh on criticizing the previous book. I gave it a bad review because I'm used to reading more "adult" books instead of these (young adult I suppose). They're not bad, but you can't expect a complex story if it's aimed for a younger audience. I will review the rest of the books (if I read them) considering that.

This third book tells 4 short stories. They're enjoyable, original and fun to read.
Karlota
Haruhi sigue con sus locuras XD, me encanta esta chica :P
Vanesa
Entretenida colección de historias cortas que nos adentra un poco más en el universo de Suzumiya. Narradas como siempre desde el punto de vista del cínico Kyon, son una lectura "juvenil" bastante fresca. De entre los cuatro relatos, desataca "Rapsodia de la hoja de bambú" con la problemática de viajar en el tiempo y no liarla demasiado. Ja, ja, ja.
Leif
Nov 24, 2012 Leif rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this one. The light novel format gives way to a collection of short stories and I appreciate the variety of it. My favorite is "Remote Island Syndrome" where we see just how hard Kazumi is working in the background to mitigate the potential damage of having an unaware god in the world. ...more
Feather Mista
No me aburrió pero sí se me hizo un poquito larga. Después me explayo en cada relato.
Chibixio
It wouldn't have even deserved two stars if it wasn't for the second story. The others were uninteresting. I don't know if the writing was so bad indeed or it was just the translation, but I couldn't stand it. Neither I could stand Mikuru. Or Kyon's comments about her.
Lucas Suárez
Oct 28, 2013 Lucas Suárez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Creo que ya se notan más claramente diferencias entre algunas partes de la historia de HZ. Aunque no importen tanto en la trama, estos dan a conocer más facetas de la melancólica. Como siempre una historia fácil de digerir para la lectura de paso.
Nia
Aug 01, 2011 Nia rated it really liked it
If you've seen the anime, you've pretty much got the story. But I am not a fan of the Island, so even this book was a little boring. BUT IT IS STILL Haruhi and worth the read.
Diego
Oct 20, 2013 Diego rated it liked it
An enjoyable read. I find it interesting to compare the anime to the novels. Excited that the next book in the series is the Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
Kevin
Jul 18, 2011 Kevin rated it liked it
Some of the stories in this volume are better then others, but my favorite Mysterique Sign. I perfer the novel length over the short story.
Bailey
Jan 21, 2013 Bailey rated it it was amazing
I have the written, chapter, non-manga version of this, and I LOVE IT!! I read this in 8th grade and did a book report on it, magnificent
  • Spice & Wolf, Vol. 3
  • Book Girl and the Wayfarer's Lamentation
  • Shakugan no Shana: The Girl With Fire in Her Eyes (Novel)
  • Zaregoto, Book 2: The Kubishime Romanticist
  • Kieli, Volume 2: White Wake on the Sand
  • Into the Blue (Full Metal Panic! #3)
  • Welcome to the N.H.K.
  • Gosick: The Novel (Gosick, #1)
Nagaru Tanigawa (谷川 流 Tanigawa Nagaru)

Nagaru Tanigawa is a graduate of the Kwansei Gakuin University School of Law. In 2003, he won Kadokawa's Grand Prize for Literary World for his work on the Haruhi Suzumiya series.
More about Nagaru Tanigawa...

Haruhi Suzumiya (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #1)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの溜息 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #2)
  • The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #4)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの暴走 [Suzumiya Haruhi no Bōsō] (Haruhi Suzumiya, #5)
  • The Wavering of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #6)
  • The Intrigues of Haruhi Suzumiya (Haruhi Suzumiya, #7)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの憤慨 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #8)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの分裂 (Haruhi Suzumiya, #9)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 (前) (Haruhi Suzumiya, #10)
  • 涼宮ハルヒの驚愕 (後) (Haruhi Suzumiya, #11)