Anchor and Storm

Anchor and Storm

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  539 ratings  ·  88 reviews
Anchor and Storm Kate Poole Edgar Armstrong, Earl of Callander, had not given much thought to marrying and producing an heir.until he meets Emily Sinclair. When their easy companionship grows into love, they learn that Edgar's progressively debilitating disease could be passed on to his children. As their joy turns to despair Edgar finds a solution. If he can't get her wit...more
Published April 2007 by Ellora's Cave

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine...

If you knew you would die without an heir, and your title would go to your nephew, a greedy, conniving man, how far would you go, in the name of love, to ensure that didn’t happen?

And what would you do to ensure that your wife, the love of your life, is taken care of after your death? How do you make sure she won’t be tossed from her home, or forced into being your nephew’s mistress just to survive?

Edgar Armstrong, Earl of Callander faced those questions and more. He’d never really worried abou...more
♡Karlyn P♡
This one really surprised me as you rarely find a really good erotica/romantica story with so much depth and reality. Nothing about this story felt contrived, false or forced. It was a beautiful, if not different (m/f/m), historical love story. I typically prefer the more mainstream m/f romances, but this one really made me think twice. It takes place in 1750 England, and through an array of believable circumstances the Earl must produce a child, yet he cannot be the biological father. Many live...more
I ♥ Bookie Nookie (bookienookiereviews.blogspot.com)
What a fantastic book! It was filled with emotion and a few twists and unexpected turn of events. When I was about 3/4 through with the book, my heart was aching for Edgar, Angus and Emily. I totally didn't foresee the path she eventually took us on. If you love a great romance with some drama, this is the book for you!

______________________________________________________________________
✳✳ Reviewed on I ♥ Bookie Nookie Reviews

___________________________________________________
If you like this...more
~J~ Riverina Romantics

Wow. This was such a lovely, heart wrenching and thought provoking story....and yes, it is erotica.

It is a rare occurrence for me to find an erotica that is equally matched in heart warming romance as it is in erotica sex scenes. Kate Poole definitely did a fantastic job, but in saying that - the sex scenes weren't the bow-chica-wa-wa, sort, they were sultry, sexy, but extremely sweet. The sort of sex scene where you think to yourself "Boy, does this guy love me love the heroine".

The story itse...more
Shawna
Mar 23, 2012 Shawna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of thought-provoking, emotional, erotic historical romance
4 ½ stars – Historical Romance

The writing isn’t perfect and the third part of the book and ending are somewhat choppy and rushed, but it’s such an emotionally powerful, touching story about the various depths of love with wonderful characters. I just adored sweet, gentlemanly, caring Edgar and gruff, rugged alpha Angus, and Emily was a loyal, loving heroine. It’s such an evocative, romantic story and had me tearing up, so definitely worthy of solid 4 ½ stars.
Holly
What an incredible story!! I give it 5+ stars!! I have never read Kate Poole before and this was recommended by a friend, all I can say is THANK YOU! This book pulled at my heart strings so much I spent a good part of it in tears. I think, for me at least it is rare that that I love all the 3 people in a menage story, but in this book you can't help but love Edgard, Angus and Emily and want a HEA for all of them!! I will definitely read more Kate Poole if all of her books are this great!!
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Apr 17, 2011 Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical romance fans and erotica romance fans
Recommended to Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
WOW. I wasn’t expecting to be so blown away by this read, but I was. The cover of the book is entirely misleading. Don’t get me wrong, it’s definitely hot, but there is so much more to it than just the sex in Anchor and Storm.

Edgar Armstrong is dying of a wasting disease and although he has found a loving wife in Emily, they wish to start a family before Edgar’s health declines even more. But when Edgar realizes his disease can be passed down to his young, he refuses to be the one to give Emily...more
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
4/5 stars

First, I'll start out by saying the cover of this book is very misleading. Anchor and Storm is a thought-provoking and deeply emotional historical romance. And while there's a strong undertone of erotica, the story's focus is mainly on the meaning of unconditional love and all it encompasses.

Anchor and Storm is emotional, angsty, and heartbreaking, as well as sweet, romantic, and heartwarming. It's a true love story.

The three wonderfully flawed but endearing characters, Edgar, Emily, an...more
Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
This novel is one of my All Time Top Favorite Historical Romance novels,with a kick of permanent Ménage!

If anyone is wondering "Huh?" Let me explain.Don't let the cover fool you.It's an HR and although I'm not into kinky ménage novels. This one wasn't kinky at all.It's totally Worth it!!!!!!!!!! I LOVED IT!

Edgar Armstrong,Earl of Callander,never thought he could find someone as beautiful,smart,kind hearted and loving as Emily Sinclair.In return Emily,shows Edgar,she sees the man that he truly is...more
Sammy
What an aweful cover for such a sweet love story. This book was absolutely nothing like I had expected. I only bought this book because the reviews were so good but the cover made it seam like it was "just another menage" story. I was so wrong about that.

This was a historical love story and I truly felt the love from all parties involved. It is rare when reading a menage to feel that all parties have a deep heartfelt love but Kate Poole did an excellent job. I will not give a synopsis, but high...more
Karla
What a sweet and fiery love story. Edgar was so charming, kind, and the perfect gentleman. Angus was the total opposite, hot -headed, infuriating, the perfect alpha male. They both endured hardship and my heart ached for them. Even though they were of different social status, they had a mutual respect for one another. Two men so different, with opposing lifestyles, but the one thing they had in common was their passionate desire and love for Emily. What one couldn’t give her the other one could,...more
Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog)
Feb 20, 2011 Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Angela Carr (Under the Covers Book Blog) by: Elena R a.k.a. Lunies R
Shelves: read-in-2011
*In tears*. 5 Stars!!!
Best Romantic Mènage a Trois!
(not that I've read many but this is really good)

I have no words to explain this book but my feelings for it.
It made me cry, it made me fall for two men, and it made me cry again!!!
I soooo want my own Anchor and my own Storm.

I highly recommend this book!!!

Thank you Elena!!! You got any more books like this to recommend?
Jen (Red Hot Books)
I'm not usually a big fan of menage stories for anything more than a dirty diversion. But Anchor and Storm is more than just a sexy romp. It's a love story. --I know, I know, I've seen the cover too. But I promise, there is more to this book than meets the eye.

Emily was governess to Edgar's nephew's children when he met her. Even though he was older and in poor health, the two of them fell for each other and married. To an outsider, it may have looked like Em married him for his money and title,...more
Nisha
Of all the menage stories I've come across, this would have to be the most realistic premise. A sickly "elderly" Lord (he's only 42, but has a degenerative disease) and his (young)Scottish Lady had married for love. But after trying to conceive for months, the Lord, Edgar, realizes that his condition is hereditary. Afraid that his offspring would suffer his fate but still needing an heir to prevent his vile nephew from inheriting, he decides that there should be a surrogate sperm donor and someo...more
Tammy Walton Grant
Well, she says (she being me, what the heck, let's try this in the third person), this one was a little different. And so much more than I expected.

This book showed up on my updates recently (I know, I said third person, but that POV switch is hard!) when some friends started talking about it so I snagged a copy to see what was up.

The cover itself is a little deceiving - contrary to what I would have thought from the image this is actually a historical romance. An erotic historical, to be sure,...more
Gina
Feb 16, 2014 Gina rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gina by: Kathleen
Shelves: historical, favorites, mmf
Another first for me an historical ménage, and it even included a hot highlander as well! OMG!! Could I ask for anything more! The sex was hot and steamy if course, but the best part of this book were the emotions and love I could feel between these three. I felt for each of them as I learned their circumstances and what brought together. I was happy, sad and captivated by each of them. I loved both heroes and the heroine!!!

An awesome read!! Thanks Kathy my sweet friend for the rec!!!!
K.
Who knew a talented author could spin this scenario to suit even my nit-picky tastes in erotic romance!! I really ended up enjoying this. It had a lot of unexpected heart and depth of character. Now I'm wondering if Kate Poole has scored any other refreshing erotic titles with an edge for down-to-earth people in empathetic yet steamy situations?!? Good job! If you occasionly like to "straddle the fence" between good romance and unconventional (and explicit) sexual scenes, go for this one!
K.
Cindy
Great read with an unusual historical setting, it takes place several years after the Battle Culloden. One of the heroes is Angus, who was indentured for participating and the second is an English earl who is dying of a wasting disease. The heroine is the daughter of laird who fell at Culloden. Very engaging story and fascinating characters. The author managed to deliver a three-hankie ending AND a happily-ever-after. No mean feat! I will look for more from her.
Kitt
I stopped reading around 67% ( In Kindle version, so I don't know the actual page number)

Authors, despite what ever delusions you may garner, forcing your Heroes on your Heroines is NEVER hot, sexy or romantic.

"No" and "stop" mean "NO".

This was my first by this author and will be my last.
Cheryl
Really liked this book! It took some twists and turns that I didn't expect and was quite the page turner! Excellent!
VampFanGirl
Emily Sinclair, once the daughter of a powerful laird, is now a governess for a wretched family in the English countryside. On the brink of being turned out on the streets, Emily is saved by Edgar Armstrong, Earl of Callander. Born of a suspicious lot, Emily is at first appalled by Edgar's proposal to travel the Continent with him as his companion. Having nearly been raped by her employer, Emily is initially disgusted by his suggestion but she soon changes her mind after learning all the facts.

A...more
Jane Stewart
3 ½ stars. Sweet, lovely romantic story, not wildly erotic. Caution: some tears at the end.

STORY BRIEF:
Emily lost her father and brothers in battles with the English. She found a job as a governess for Raymond’s children. Raymond’s wealthy uncle Edgar is visiting. Raymond informs Emily that they no longer need her services since they are sending the children to boarding schools. Raymond threatens to ruin Emily’s chances for other employment unless she has sex with him. She refuses. Edgar hears t...more
Elaine
What a beautiful, well written love story! The author Kate Poole spun a historic romantce tale that pulled me in immediately and I read this book in one sitting.

Early in the story Edgar Armstrong, Earl of Callander, who has a muscle wasting disease, pulls Emily out of an increasingly bad employment situation and she acts as his traveling companion. They fall in love and marry.

It is imperative than an heir is produced, or the Edgar's fortune will go to an ingrate of a relative. But he does not w...more
Erica
What a great read! I'm not sure what I was expecting when I started this book but I sure wasn't expecting two of the main characters to be Scottish Highlanders, the third a Scottish Lowlander, and for this book to be set in Scotland. Which, of course, heightened my enjoyment of it since I love Highlander accents and Gaelic to be used. This book reminded me a lot of parts of The Reluctant Dom and parts of Voyager. It is set in the Lowlands of Scotland shortly after the Rising and the final battle...more
Malinda
4.5-5 stars

This was a great story! I loved Edgar, Emily and Angus and how things worked out for them. The way the story came together seemed believable, like I could imagine this actually happening this type of situation and setting. This is the first book I've read by this author and I'll be looking to read more of her work.

Emily is the daughter of a Highland lord that was killed during a war, and he was with the losing side. She had to leave her home but found work as a Governess in a Lord's...more
Tai
Oh. My. Gosh.

I absolutely loved this story! So much so that I feel like I could walk around in a t-shirt declaring how much I “heart” it. I started reading, and could not stop until it was finished.

The story was so beautiful, from start to finish. Sammy Loves Books was absolutely right in her review when she said they put the wrong cover on it. There were no cheap, tawdry thrills (though I do enjoy that) as the cover would imply, just a pure sweet romance. I could even go as far as to say that t...more
Ina
I loved this one! A real page turner. Impossible to put down. I had to force myself to take a break. An extremely emotional ride is what it was. Edgar and Angus... such lovely men! And Emíly was a real sweet girl.

The cover may give you the impression of a book mainly focusing on sex, but I have to say that is not the main thing here. There certainly are some very tasteful sex scenes, but the main focus is on the beautiful love between Emily and her Edgar.. and of course Angus is in there too. :...more
I will never understand why some of these books have the covers they do... This one doesn't seem to do any justice to the book or it's content.
The writing wasn't the best for most of the book and felt choppy. However, once the story really got going it turned into an emotional and touching journey. Would have probably been better if it was a little longer, so it could have been less rushed. Great characters though, that I admit to fully tearing up over at the end of the book. A great lo...more
Jenny E
This was unexpectedly really good! The sexing was a little tamer than I was expecting from Ellora's Cave, but the really great plot and characters more than made up for it! It was very emotional, and the ending flirted with complete disaster and had I not been prepared for the ending I might have not completely felt it was a HEA that I have come to expect from books in this genre.

This is definitely a story that will stay with me for a while.
Ameliaa
There's so much about this story other than the steamy cover, trust me.

I never indulged myself in Historical Romance but this book is a wonderful masterpiece!

The connection between Edgar, Emily & Angus was purely romantic and heart-wrenching.

The sacrifice made by Edgar is beautifully written because he knew that his disease can be past on his descendants if he tried to make a child with Emily.

With his heavy heart, he knew that he need to do something to make a great legacy for his family nam...more
  • At Love's Command (Brothers in Arms, #4)
  • Claiming Cullen
  • Sinful: Epilogue
  • Lovely Wicked
  • Captain's Price
  • Half Hearts
  • My Three Lords
  • Asylum (Sanctuary, #2)
  • Polished
  • Devil's Pact (The Devil's Playground #1)
  • Lost
  • Imprinted
  • A Breach of Promise
  • The Queen's Consorts
  • Tea for Three
  • Simply Sinful (House of Pleasure #2)
  • Susie's Choice
  • Nice and Naughty
Beast of Caledonia Art of Modern Love Exhibition Delhi, Agra and Jaipur (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide) Jerusalem & the Holy Land (Dorling Kindersley Travel Guides)