Start by marking “Ultimate Bread” as Want to Read:
Ultimate Bread

Ultimate Bread

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  118 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
You don't have to go to San Francisco for sourdough, to Italy for ciabatta, or to Germany for Pumpernickel. All these recipes and many more are found in "Ultimate Bread." Step-by-step sequences and easy-to-follow text takes the mystery out of breadmaking. Baking essentials and basic techniques are included, too. "Ultimate Bread" guarantees the pleasure that making and eati ...more
Published September 15th 1998 by DK Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Ultimate Bread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ultimate Bread

Janet
May 21, 2008 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I have the English version as well as the German version, this is because in Europe the classification of the flour types is different. And this book has good illustrations on the flour types. The naan bread recipe is really good!
Amy
Jan 03, 2009 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
This is a great book for anyone who loves to make bread. It starts with basics & tells you everything you need to know. And the pictures are GORGEOUS! I loved it.
Vanessa
Dec 07, 2011 Vanessa rated it it was amazing
I got this from my Library and loved that it has so much information on homemade bread I bought my own copy.
Foxthyme
Nov 24, 2007 Foxthyme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I've been making bread for years, I thought. I'd never invested in a bread book that illustrates techniques, so well, before. Now that I have this book, I'm understanding that the end product truly is the staff of life. Bread is alive, it moves, it grows.

I'm through with overflouring breads, which just dries out the pour suckers. Nice sticky, moist, elastic dough for many breads is the ideal.

Some loaves I've been learning with:
-Quick rise corn bread
-Ballymaloe Brown Bread - dense single rise lo
Mara Shaw
The photography in the book is Fabulous! Thank you Ursula Ferrigno! Recipes from around the world and photos of every ingredient, piece of equipment, techniques and all of the different finishes on bread -- pre-bake and after baking. The well-written 69 pages of technique and fundamentals are always good to have.

I'd appreciate some mention of how best to use these recipes in a convection oven, but am figuring it out myself. I'm curious why such low oven temps (200C) are used in so many recipes.
DeAnne
Oct 14, 2009 DeAnne rated it really liked it
This is a fantastic technique book. I've had to modify a lot of the recipes I've tried, probably to compensate for a radically different climate and flour than Northern Europe...but the techniques are spot on, well illustrated and explained. This is a good companion book for the hobbyist baker.

It is important to note that there are two versions of this book: One is just called Bread by the same authors, published in the 90's; and that version went to press with a significant number of errors in
Aja Marsh
Oct 12, 2013 Aja Marsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty good-- i was skeptical at first as a lot of time this publisher's books are too basic and i don't always like the recipes, but seeing as i'm a fairly novice bread baker the simplicity and step-by-step photos here were really helpful as were some of the tips and tricks that have caught me in my last few bread making attempts. i can't quite speak for any of the recipes yet as the first one i've made is mid-rise, but we'll see in a few hours! country oatmeal bread. sounds good! :)
Rose Ann
Dec 18, 2013 Rose Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
6/26/2013 -- Made the Pain Ordinaire, in the English Cottage Loaf shape. OMG was it wonderful! Next: Victorian Milk Bread. I'll keep you posted!

7/15/2013 -- Victorian Milk Bread -- wonderful!

12/17/2013 -- Well, made the stromboli. (ahem) It was not a success. As much as I hate to waste food, I think I will have to throw this away! But I blame myself more than the recipe; I think I mishandled the dough, and then rolled it up too tightly as well. I might try it again and see how it goes.
Faith
Dec 19, 2008 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book ever! The instructions are great and there are LOTS of pictures...which I need. I have tried several of the recipes and so far I have liked all of them. The basic white bread is my favorite white bread recipe I have found so far. I am in the process of trying out the San Francisco Sour Dough...the pretzels were fun!! I highly recommend this book.
Zoraidac
This books has excellent photographs, easy to follow techniques (ex. shaping and folding dough), and a good amount of basic information. Where it falls desperately short is in the recipes. The proportion of flour, to water, to salt, is so off that it would definitely discourage any beginner.
Darcy Asher
Mar 12, 2008 Darcy Asher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in bread making
Recommended to Darcy by: I found it after lots of research
This is my bread bible book. It has lots of pictures, details, and great bread making recipes from across the globe. Awesome Book! I spent 3 hours in Barnes and Noble searching all the available bread books on the shelf, and this book won :)
Gregg McNeill
Jan 30, 2012 Gregg McNeill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
My Friend Nathan recommended this book to me because it was one that his mother used. It's a great reference and the photography is excellent. I have used the recipes many times. If you're new to home baking, this book is a great first step.
Jenny
Nov 16, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite bread book. It's got loads of mouth-watering pictures to entice you to cook. Includes a good explanation of different types of flour, gluten, bran, yeast, and when each is appropriate. Love it!
Zachary G. Augustine
Dec 19, 2013 Zachary G. Augustine rated it it was ok
A sort of strange book with emphasis on ideas and techniques and diversity with hit or miss recipes. It's basically a glorified picture book or a beginner's informational book on general bread IQ.
Whitney
Dec 22, 2010 Whitney rated it it was amazing
I love this book solely because of the gorgeous pictures of bread. I think I've only made one recipe in it...Parker House Rolls, which I overcooked, but still looked beautiful.
Dineen
Apr 06, 2012 Dineen rated it it was ok
Here is the odd bread book. Most bread books have countless recipes with a handful of photos. This one has countless photos and a limited number of recipes.
Snickety
Mar 14, 2011 Snickety rated it really liked it
Shelves: available-at-gpl
Terrific, easy-to-follow recipes for breads from different areas of Europe. We particularly enjoyed the Victorian Milk Bread.
Zharina
Jul 29, 2012 Zharina rated it it was amazing
superb! i love the way they wrote this book systematically. and even they have problem solving chapter alone!
Melanie Cook
definitely a wonderful book about bread. and it's not just a recipe book, it really *is* a book about bread.
Erin Greenwood
Aug 25, 2009 Erin Greenwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been renewing this book to the point I feel it is mine. It has good bread recipes.
Julie
Apr 29, 2008 Julie rated it it was amazing
My favorite bread recipes EVER. Cheese Hearth Bread, Stuffed Focaccia.....yum.
Nohreen
Nov 04, 2010 Nohreen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
A great addition to a baker's collection of cookbooks.
Gretta Fisher-gomez
Mar 06, 2008 Gretta Fisher-gomez rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Learn the art of bread baking.
Aristi Pratomo
Dec 01, 2010 Aristi Pratomo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
yumming bread, all in!
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Michelle Trautmann
Michelle Trautmann rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Julia Walsh
Julia Walsh marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
  • Dough: Simple Contemporary Breads [With DVD]
  • Flatbreads & Flavors
  • The Bread Bible: 300 Favorite Recipes
  • 50 Great Curries of India
  • Crust and Crumb: Master Formulas for Serious Bread Bakers
  • Vegetarian India: A Journey Through the Best of Indian Home Cooking
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • A Mediterranean Feast: The Story Of The Birth Of The Celebrated Cuisines Of The Mediterranean, From The Merchants Of Venice To The Barbary Corsairs, With More Than 500 Recip
  • A Girl and Her Greens
  • Illustrated Step-by-Step Baking
  • Olives, Lemons & Za'atar: Palestinian Home Cooking from Nazareth to New York
  • Moosewood Restaurant Kitchen Garden: Creative Gardening for the Adventurous Cook
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle
  • Small-Plot, High-Yield Gardening: How to Grow Like a Pro, Save Money, and Eat Well by Turning Your Back (or Front or Side) Yard Into An Organic Produce Garden
  • Landscaping with Fruit: Strawberry ground covers, blueberry hedges, grape arbors, and 39 other luscious fruits to make your yard an edible paradise.
  • Moro: The Cookbook