Start by marking “There and Back Again” as Want to Read:
There and Back Again

There and Back Again

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Bailey was heading home in his steam-powered rocket when he found a message pod. It was only by luck that he spotted it, disabled and drifting in an eccentric orbit around a large M-type asteroid. Strange to find a message pod so far from interstellar trade routes, drifting through the Asteroid Belt around Old Sol. Bailey picked up the message pod, and notified its owners...more
Published October 15th 2000 by Tor Science Fiction (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about There and Back Again, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There and Back Again

Scurra
This is a hoot. Not only is it a splendid book in its own right, but the fun of trying to see how the incidents from The Hobbit are going to be recreated in this lunatic universe is almost unmatched (I think only Jasper Fforde's The Eyre Affair has a similar symbiotic relationship with it's source, and that is far more tangential. Although on reflection, Bridget Jones' Diary probably qualifies too.)

edit: just finished a reread (in the light of Mr Jackson's work) and I'm putting it up a star beca...more
Claire Scott
Probably in the opposite way from most of Pat Murphy's fans, I picked this up in a pinch at the library because I really enjoyed The Wild Girls, her new novel for younger readers. It turned out to be a lovely decision: There And Back Again is a perfectly charming romp through space, following neatly and creatively in the path carved by Tolkien's Bilbo Baggins. It had some gravity but not too much, humor, geeky allusions, a fun storyline, and a happy ending.
Spoonbridge
After I watched the latest Peter Jackson Tolkien adaptation a few weeks ago, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey which left me scratching my head as to how they will milk two more movies out of The Hobbit, I decided to pick up this space opera homage of my favorite of the stories of Middle Earth. I have to admit, I have not read many science fiction novels in the past, but I felt Murphy's melding of the adventure With the Asteroid Belt taking the place of the Shire and a syndicate of clones taking...more
Charlie
This is a great re-working of the story of The Hobbit as a space opera. When I'd read the first chapter or two I wondered if I should have re-read The Hobbit before starting, but as it turned out I remembered enough to enjoy many of the story's tongue in cheek similarities. I'm not sure how much I missed, but it really does not matter.

It is a fun story in its own right with much of the tempo and tone of the original. It involves a small homely person and a set of clones going of on an adventure...more
Jordan
The Hobbit! In Space! Woooo!

So this book is pretty much The Hobbit turned into a space opera. And it actually works quite well. You can clearly see which events from The Hobbit match their counterparts here, but at the same time it manages to not feel too forced. Putting aside the re-telling aspect, it's a pretty entertaining reading on it's own.
James
This book very carefully reproduces the whole of The Hobbit, except transposed to space opera. Which is kind of a fascinating exercise to watch unfold, but not in a way which makes it a very good book. Mostly you spend the whole book thinking things like "OK, how's she going to work the barrels in .. oh, there they are!" instead of reading the book.
Cathy
Entertaining space opera based on "The Hobbit," which will be most enjoyable for those who are fans of both trashy Science Fiction and the Tolkien book. This was the second read for me, since I remember it fondly from about five years ago. A nice low-key summer book.
MJ
Rather annoying parallel to the Hobbit by Tolkein, only far into the future when Bailey the asteroid miner is duped by "wizard" Gitana into going on an adventure with a group of clones. I like Murphy's storytelling ability though, and will look for other titles.
Mace
Mar 02, 2011 Mace rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011
It was just okay. Parts of it felt like writing exercises that got put into a book. Other parts were very captivating. I'm going to read more by this author, but so far Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell has captured me the most.
Ashley
Tolkien’s “The Hobbit” re-envisioned as a science fiction story. Believe it or not, it works, and makes for a marvelous adventure that will have you cheering the characters on just like in the original.
Chris Elford
one of the oddest books I've read in a while. i should have expected this from the title: its pretty much a homage to "the hobbit"
Alex
a remake of 'the hobbit' kind of a wierd read if you've already read the hobbit, but it's set in outer space if that makes a difference
to'c
Pure Pat Murphy fun. You'd have to be mad to combine The Hobbit, The Hunting of the Snark, and The Hero's Journey. Or maybe just genius...
Philip
A fun book, retelling "The Hobbit" as space opera with Gandalf played by a tall, blond woman with one eye. A good read.
Erick
An amazingly clever and fun retelling of The Hobbit, in a science fiction setting.
Frank
Modeled after The Hobbit and set in space. Very enjoyable if you compare the two tales.
Carolyn
Imagine the Hobbit in Space. Strange little pastiche. Fun, though.
Angela
Nov 07, 2007 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sf
A fun retelling of The Hobbit as a space opera.
Becky
Unhobbled Hobbit. Nice.
Aurelia
Aurelia marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Shannon Haddock
Shannon Haddock marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Víctor Vázquez
Víctor Vázquez marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Cameron King
Cameron King marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Is there a digital version of this book? 1 1 Jan 26, 2014 07:53PM
The Wild Girls The Falling Woman The City, Not Long After Adventures in Time and Space with Max Merriwell Nadya