Start by marking “In Hot Pursuit” as Want to Read:
In Hot Pursuit

In Hot Pursuit

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  250 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Genre: LGBT Mystery/Suspense

Hard-working NYPD cop Noah Tobin didn't even want to go on vacation. But it's been a tough eighteen months since the death of his lover, so he's determined to make the most of it. On his first night in sunny Florida, a chance encounter with a handsome man in a bar bathroom jumpstarts something in Noah that's been dormant for all those months. Th
Published February 12th 2010 by Loose Id, LLC (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In Hot Pursuit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Hot Pursuit

Lily
When Noah Tobin's lover is killed by a man out gunning for Noah he's left with the memories of his love and a thirst for justice. Eighteen long months later the NYPD Detective is in the courtroom to witness his lover's killer brought to justice. After months of hard work it's a satisfying yet hollow victory.

Knowing how stressed Noah has been during the past eighteen months his lieutenant places him on paid leave and offers him the use of a time share in Tampa, Florida. With no choice in the matt
Ami
Jan 30, 2011 Ami rated it liked it
I enjoyed two of more recent stories by Ms. McMurray, so I decided to go back and read her first. This is a decent story ... for something with a bit mystery/thriller flair in it, there are more coincidences than actual investigation. However, the two protagonists -- the burned out cop Noah Tobin and the restaurant/club owners Harrison "Hary" Knowles are both appealing. Since this story is from Noah's 1st person POV, unfortunately, Harry hasn't been fully developed in my eyes. I do like
Elisa Rolle
Oct 25, 2015 Elisa Rolle rated it it was amazing
2010 Rainbow Awards Honorable Mention (5* from at least 1 judge)
Kassa
Feb 28, 2010 Kassa rated it liked it
In Hot Pursuit is a decent fluff read with some hot sex, a splash of mystery, definite eye candy, and a happy for now romance between interesting characters. The story drags in the middle yet is mostly a quick read with a lot of sex. This is the kind of book that’s great for a beach read yet you’re likely forget it as soon as it’s done. The ending is good for the characters and fitting yet leaves room for more if the author chooses to revisit these two. I didn’t mind reading this but it’s not on ...more
ElaineY
This started well but got boring rather fast. Even Harry's character, the stranger Noah has the brief encounter with, fell apart and in the end I just didn't care about the story or the characters.

It wasn't bad, hence the three stars for what I read - which is more than half the story - but it's just one of those books that didn't do it for me.
Tam
Jun 05, 2010 Tam rated it really liked it
Noah, a closeted NYC cop is on the verge of burnout. His partner of 6 years was murdered by a guy coming after him and he's been working non-stop on the case for over a year, had a fall-out with his partner's parents and life sucks. His boss sends him on a mandatory 2 weeks vacation to his time-share in Tampa. The first night he hits a gay bar and has sex in the bathroom with Harry. When Harry is on the news as missing and not just a random guy but a prominent gay business man, Noah feels compel ...more
thelastaerie
Feb 28, 2010 thelastaerie rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. I liked it more than I expected. The writing is good, but could use some speeding up. I thought the two characters were well drawn, even though sometimes the emotions and inner thoughts are a bit too "written out loud", could be due to the first person POV, but sometimes it's better to keep the readers guessing, or give a unreliable first person POV.

The relationship grows slowly - even though they had sex in the bathroom the first time and fall in love within a week - but the way the
Wren
Apr 19, 2010 Wren rated it really liked it
Noah is a NY detective on vacation in Tampa, FL. He's not out; his lover was killed a year and a half ago. He runs into Harry in a gay bar, where they have bathroom sex. And Noah's broken soul starts to wake up. Harry is kidnapped, but escapes, and Noah is drafted into helping the police by guarding Harry. All sorts of things ensue, including drug deals and murder and kidnapping attempts and getting shot at. Harry never seemed to act as I expected, which was fun. Watching Noah come out of his pe ...more
Beck
Jan 24, 2015 Beck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely story that has it all ... love, tragedy, mystery & smex ... what more can you ask for? ... I loved the dichotomy of the big bad cop being the more submissive lover & the more flamboyant character being the top ... this book is a fast-paced, easy read which entertains the reader without being too demanding ... light on the angst & not too heavy on the erotica.
Cassie Richards
I liked this book, it had a good plot with the kidnapping of Harry and the romance was realistic and believable.

However I wasn't convinced by the HEA, Harry is an out and proud playboy and Noah is still not out at work. I just couldn't believe they would work long and there doesn't seem to be a sequel.
Tami (synchro from BL)
Jul 23, 2012 Tami (synchro from BL) rated it really liked it
A nice one.
The first person POV works really good and the MC is very likable. Throw in some hot love story and a nice crime part. Very entertaining.
Kaje Harper
May 05, 2011 Kaje Harper rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, mystery
The plot of this book just didn't quite work for me. Individual scenes were great, though, and the characters were well portrayed.
UnusualChild{beppy}
synopsis:
noah is a cop and a closeted one at that. when his lover is killed one night by a man who came seeking noah, noah can't show his grief, but he can work. a year and a half later, noah's boss insists that he needs time off and offers him the use of his timeshare in florida. noah takes him up on it, and since he's not in his home town, decides to go to a gay bar. once there, he has sex in the bathroom with someone who pushed his buttons. the next morning, noah finds out that his one night
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader for Kate McMurray Week!

If I'm correct, this book is Kate McMurray's first published novel. At least, from her Goodreads info and a quick look. It does list her short "In December My Heart's Full of Spring" as being released first but, as it is available now for free, I'm not sure if it was ever published or not. Anyway, the whole reason for that is that I always find it rather interesting to go back and read an author's first published book when they
ARe Cafe
Apr 18, 2013 ARe Cafe rated it really liked it
Shelves: vals-picks
In Hot Pursuit by Kate McMurray is an absorbing mystery with an original twist on the standard police procedural. Instead of solving a mystery in his usual precinct, NYPD detective Noah Tobin gets inadvertently involved in a criminal investigation while on vacation in Tampa, Florida. He also works in an underrepresented field in crime fiction – not homicide or narcotics, but missing persons. Meanwhile, he struggles with his own ambivalence towards keeping his sexual orientation a secret to prote ...more
TracyGee
Apr 06, 2016 TracyGee rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I won this book in a giveaway, this is a new to me author, I didn't know quite what to expect....

I have to say I was impressed.... I enjoyed the writing style, the book had a great plot, with a bit of mystery/suspense to it.... Lots of twists a turns make this book a good read, nothing is predictable at all.....

I will be reading more books from this author in the future....
Noah
Feb 02, 2015 Noah rated it really liked it
Read this entirely because I think it's awesome a gay erotic thriller stars a character with my name. Made even more surreal by the 1st-person narrative. I figured this would be a silly beach read, but I actually found myself enjoying it and feeling for the main character. Not a perfect book, and perhaps not even very literary. But fun and surprisingly emotional.
Diane
This is a book where the clues are twisted enough that you are kept guessing to the end. The men are smoking hot and the Florida temperature has never over on the heat created by the two of them when they're on the page together!

Looking forward to reading more by Kate McMurray!
Jane A
Aug 29, 2013 Jane A rated it really liked it
Another book that I truly enjoyed. I've read this book like it was a movie. All the action and sort of mystery kept me truly engaged throughout the book. I really liked Noah and Harry together. Their conversations are really fun to read, especially with Noah's sense of humor. Even though they fell in love really fast, it didn't feel like that for me. I guess it's because there was so much happening during the few days that they were together, that I didn't even stop to think about whether or not ...more
Ayanna
Oct 28, 2013 Ayanna rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed, aaaaaawwww
I actually rather liked it.

I seem to be encountering a lot of dead former lover stories now, although this one isn't a ghost story.

The timing is very well conceived, I think. Namely, where the story began.

I liked the character dynamics, and I will say that I was happy that

The rest of it was solid. Not exactly quite spectacular or particularly dazzling, but solid. I liked it and had no immense qualms about it, so I'm going to give it that additional star.
melek
Noah an cop is left heartbroken when his partner of 6 years past away due to things.After the incident that happened his boss suggested take leave on vacation . 18 months past still grieving in his own way, he meets harry in all places they hook up in the bathroom. after that things get heated up with kidnapping and what it all means and getting to know harry. Pretty much an action packed with some mystery and hot moments.
ainsley davis-kutschera
Apr 25, 2012 ainsley davis-kutschera rated it really liked it
This falls squarely into the category of books I can't objectively review because I know the author, which is probably a good thing since I kind of suck at reviews. For what it's worth, I'd recommend this author to any of my friends who read slash.

But this does remind me of why arithmetic is sometimes wrong. One hot man times one hot man is not one hot man, no matter how many times 1x1=1 was drilled into our heads.
Book Utopia
Jun 01, 2010 Book Utopia rated it liked it
Maygirl7
Jun 09, 2010 Maygirl7 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m
I wish I had given more credence to the reviews I read before buying this book. It was fine, but it really did drag towards the end. I thought I would enjoy it more. The writing was good enough, but I wasn't really engaged after the first third. And I wasn't enamored with Harry. The more I think about the book the less satisfied I am with it.
Chris
Jun 26, 2010 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, gay, done, 2010, owned, ebook
Good m/m romantic suspense about a closeted NYPD cop, whose boyfriend was killed by a shot meant for him and who has been working too much in the years since then, is sent by his captain to a timeshare in Tampa on vacation to avoid burnout. Oh, the excitement he finds on his vacation...
Cindra
Easy to read cop story that takes place in my home town.
Shaz
Jul 28, 2013 Shaz rated it really liked it
I wasn't really sure what to expect of this one, but what a great little gem it was. Hot characters, hot sex... what more do you want? But wait, there is more: there's a nice bit of who-done-it running through it all as well.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Epilogue is sort of an HFN: (view spoiler)
Teresa
Mar 05, 2010 Teresa rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010
Fast, fun, hot read. Kate delivers on the drama, the action, and the schmoochies. I'm looking forward to more from this new author.
Susan65
Dec 30, 2012 Susan65 marked it as don-t-think-so
Unfortunately, i lost interest and couldn't finish. I will come back to it later.
  • Personal Demons
  • Big Cypress Crossroads
  • In the Flesh (Flesh, #1)
  • 72 Hours
  • Pas de Deux
  • Hide Out (Private Dicks, #2)
  • A Deadly Game (A Nick Fallon Investigation, #1)
  • Touching Evil
  • Ice Cream on the Side
  • Three Wrong Turns in the Desert (Have Body, Will Guard, #1)
  • Unspeakable Words (The Sixth Sense #1)
  • In the Shadow of a Hero
  • Mobsters and Miracles
  • L.A. Heat (L.A., #1)
  • No Good Deed
  • Like Pizza and Beer (Dino Martini Mysteries, #2)
  • No Rest for the Wicked (Adam & Peter, #2)
  • Hidden Force (Tennessee Cops, #1)
Kate McMurray is a nonfiction editor. Also, she is crafty (mostly knitting and sewing, but she also wields power tools), she plays the violin, and she dabbles in various other pursuits. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a presumptuous cat.
More about Kate McMurray...