Start by marking “I'm The Best” as Want to Read:
I'm The Best

I'm The Best

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Dog loves his friends. He thinks they're brilliant. But he also thinks that he's the best, and he just won't stop telling them! So what happens when his friends decide to teach him a lesson, by showing him all the things they are best at?
Published May 3rd 2010 by Walker Books Ltd. (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about I'm The Best, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I'm The Best

Morgan
I thought this book might be teaching a good "don't brag" lesson when the animals started teaching Dog that it wasn't nice to brag about being the best. But then in the end he reiterates that his ears are fluffiest and that is most important so he is the best.

??
Todd
The conceit (pun intended) of this picture book is successful, but the execution is a bit clunky. Lucy Cousins' illustrations in bright, vivid colors fly off the page, making for a fun romp through a simple but important message. Dog's comeuppances are well-deserved and amusing. The book's final page is thought-provoking... is Cousins indicating that a trait such as conceit is innate and unchangeable? Or that everything that had been taught before was forgotten in an instant? A mixed message tha...more
Abdul
The book is about a dog named Dog. Dog wants to be the best at everything. Throughout the book he challenges his friends and beats them at different competitions. This makes Dog very boastful. However, his boastfulness is cut short when he realises that some of his other friends are actually better than him at many things. This humbles him, and he realises how mean he was to his friends. In the end, he apologises and they accept his apology.
I liked the book because it conveys a moral message. I...more
Michelle McBeth
This book brought tears to my eyes. The dog is over boastful and makes his friends feel bad every time dog says he is better than they are. Then the friends boast back and dog realizes how bad it feels to be put down. But the friends love him no matter what and that is what makes dog the best. I love the story's message as it is perfect for a young, learning, age group.
My only negative is that the illustrations are rather messy which makes it less pleasing to look at.
Would I recommend this book...more
Julia Jasztal
Mommy's review from 11/20/11 -

I'm still not sure what exactly to think about this one. I was happy to see at least one other person shared my views on this because it seems most, or a lot, of people didn't seem to notice.
The story *seems* to have a great message about boasting, modesty, always thinking you're the best, that sort of thing. The whole story goes on in this vein... until the last page.
Let's that put that away for the moment. Dog, Ladybug, Mole, Goose and Donkey are all good friends...more
Rima Aroutiounian
I love this book! its a great book for kids who bully and get bullied. Its about a dog who bullies his friends by showing off to them that he is the best at everything. Then his friends show him that in some things they are the best. He regrets his actions and apologizes and they become friends again. Big print, colorful and little words.
I'd just like to start out by saying that I am the Best! I must be faster then someone (maybe that rock) and I must be taller then someone else (maybe that two year old)--I must be the best! I love Cousin's enthusiastic dog, who is sure that he is the best at everything because he is better then one of his friends. Unfortunately his bragging makes his friends sad so they show him that they are better then he at those things, which makes him sad. Fortunately dog has the most important thing, and...more
Bridget R. Wilson
Dog knows he's the best. He can run faster than Mole. He can dig better holes than Goose. He's bigger than Ladybug. And he can swim better than Donkey. But...

Mole can dig holes better than Dog. Goose can swim faster than Dog. Donkey's bigger than Dog. And Ladybug can fly higher than Dog. Nevertheless, Dog is the best at being their best friend and he has fluffy ears. Ergo, he's obviously the best.

What I thought: Ego much, Dog? I liked the book. It shows that everyone is special in their own way....more
Tricia
Ariel Cummins
A funny story about a dog named Dog who knows that he's the best at everything. Until his friends give him a not-too-gentle lesson in comparing yourself to others. I found it funny and silly and quite true-to-life in terms of how kids often think.

The mixed-media illustrations are bright and colorful, and make the text feel playful.

I think it would be fun for a story time about playing games or friends! Nice, large text and reoccurring refrain ("I win. I'm the best.") would be fun to make your o...more
Erin Ingold
This book depicts the theme of friendship. I'm the Best teaches a great lesson about how you should not boast. The dog goes through periods of time where he brags about everything. This story also gives a mixed meaning when it arrives to the end. Do the characters actually gain a valuable lesson out of it? Even though this story may have a forgotten meaning by the end, teachers can still teach a valuable lesson to their students through this picture book.
Paula
Read for Kindergarten Story Time 1.27.2014
Melody Costa
At first this is just another book to teach kids not to be too full of themselves and to be nice to their friends. The ending of the book is really what made me like it.

The bright pictures and the watercolor words are very attractive and will get children's attention quickly. And the simple narrative calls for interaction with the kids while reading out loud.

I think this will be a fun book to do for storytime.
June
Jan 12, 2011 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to June by: Cap Choices 2010
Dog claims he's the best of his friends. Then mole points out that he's a better digger, duck's a better swimmer, donkey's bigger, lady bug can fly higher. Dog is crushed until his friends admire his fluffy ears and that is the most important thing so he is the best. Gorgeous colors. Not thrilled with the storyline or the message, prefer messages on talents, instead of someone being the best.
Kate Hastings
Jun 10, 2010 Kate Hastings rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pre-K to K competition
If you have a child that competes with other children or always has to come in first place-- this is the book for you. Dog beats his friends at all sorts of competitions and claims he is the BEST. They feel bad-- but then discover there are things that THEY do the best and tell dog. Then dog feels bad. Then everyone decides they are all the best at being best friends.
Pre-K to K.
Andrea
I think the group of 3 and 4-year-olds that I read this to were a little confused by it at first. This dog is bragging about being better than all of his friends. I think they felt like what he was saying was wrong but weren't sure if they were supposed to be cheering him on or what. In the end, we used it to have a discussion about how everyone is good at something different.
Dee-Ann
I can understand others criticism of this book, but my boys really liked it. My youngest could relate to it, as he is always striving to be the best but he too could see that while the dog may be better than another in an area, the tables can turn really quickly. They thought it was funny and my youngest liked it for the predictable and repetitive text.
Allison Parker
Lucy Cousin's charming illustrations help tell the story of Dog, who likes to think he's the best at everything. His patient friends must gently show him that not everyone can be the best at everything, and that being the best isn't always the best thing anyway. A great read-aloud for the very young.
Danie P.
I love love love the color in this book. Lucy cousins definately knows how to illustrate a childrens book (I think she does her own illustrations) Anyway this is a hysterical book about how dog thinks he is the best at everything which then makes his friends feel very bad about themselves.
Greg Gormley
I love this book, it's a delightful and perfectly resolved text. Lucy Cousins Has the wonderful ability to capture character in the most simple way possible. Even when she works in a new style and medium the results are fresh, lively and beautifully coloured.
Mary Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2010 Mary Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents and teachers of toddlers and preschoolers
Excellent book for toddlers and preschoolers! The prose and illustrations strongly empathize with young childrens' natural sense of pride in all they undertake. Lucy Cousins' signature artwork seals up this book as a must-have for your little ones' library!
pati
Over confident dog gets his comeuppance after bragging to all his friends. They all put him in his place and then shower him with love to pull him up from the dregs where they pushed him in the first place. On the bright side, the artwork is great!
Gphatty
Yay! A Lucy Cousins book that I REALLY liked. (I'm getting tired of Maisy, etc.) This dog is sooo cute. (And bratty.) And his comeuppance is well done, without being preachy. It ends well, too. Great book for those with show off kids.
Mindy
This is a good book to read with preschoolers to talk about boasting or about how different people have different talents. My 4yo picked up on the lesson quickly and groaned at the end when it didn't seem like Dog learned anything.

Sheri
Mar 09, 2011 Sheri rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: teachers of elementary school
Kids I read it to (52) third grade age students, they didn't like it or want to read it again. But it was very accurate in language and vocabulary for the 5-8 age group.
They do want to be the best and win approval.
Edna
Dog brags to his friends, Ladybug, Mole, Goose and Donkey, that he's the best at everything and makes them feel a little sad when he shows off. But is he really the best at everything?
Becky
I won't lie, I teared up a little. I always do when seeing a picture of a character crying, and also sometimes when there is a happy ending. Love Lucy Cousins -- perfect for preschool!
Heather
Dog (mostly) learns not to brag when his friends show him that he is not the best at everything. This one could definitely be used to start a discussion with younger children.
Rachel
A dog makes his friends feel bad when he brags he is better than them, and then is down on himself when he realizes his friends are better than him at some things.
Susan
read this for a group of three to five year olds during a story hour and they all just cracked up. Very funny and lively with Cousin's always fun and zesty art.
  • Balancing Act
  • Dancing Feet!
  • The Wonderful Book
  • Mostly Monsterly
  • Dinosaur vs. the Potty
  • Is Everyone Ready for Fun?
  • Tiny Little Fly
  • I Spy Under the Sea
  • Wolf Won't Bite!
  • Chester's Masterpiece (Chester)
  • Forever Friends
Lucy Cousins, BA Honours in Graphic Design from The Faculty of Arts and Architecture, Brighton Polytechnic, postgraduate degree from Royal College of Art, is an author-illustrator of children's books. She is best known for her books featuring Maisy Mouse but she has also published other children's books including one about Noah's Ark. She is a mother of four and lives in Hampshire, England. Her ow...more
More about Lucy Cousins...
Hooray For Fish! Maisy Goes to the Library: A Maisy First Experience Book Yummy: Eight Favorite Fairy Tales Peck, Peck, Peck Maisy Goes to Preschool: A Maisy First Experiences Book