Start by marking “The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton” as Want to Read:
The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton

The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  8 reviews
The only authorized biography of Merton-a New York Times bestseller and a nominee for the Pulitzer Prize-this book was based on interviews as well as Merton’s unpublished writings. New Afterword by the Author. Index; photographs.
Published November 18th 1993 by Mariner Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton

booklady
“When I reveal most, I hide most.” ~Thomas Merton

I thoroughly enjoyed this biography savoring it as I spent time getting to know an author—who I consider more of a friend—better. I do not, however, recommend Seven Mountains of Thomas Merton for someone who has only a casual interest in Thomas Merton. Better to find a smaller/shorter bio, or better yet, try one of Merton’s many little gems on contemplative prayer. Come to know him first through his insightful writing.

Seven Mountains of Thomas Mer
Yeoldefoole
whew! a complicated man! that such a friendly & loquacious soul could persevere as well as he did (perhaps not so very well, really) under the vows of chastity, stability, obedience & silence is remarkable in & of itself. he was a man starved for love & friendship. while his social activism was straight from the gospels, his flirtation with Eastern religions troubles me, and I think it was unwise - for him. I'm not sure he had good enough personal boundaries to pull that off.
Kathleen
While this biography of Thomas Merton did fill in the gaps of my knowledge of the poet/monk/activist, it was certainly a slow read. There was a lot of time spent on dissecting literary works and the biographer's style was a tad long winded. I probably learned more than I wanted to learn!
John
Jan 14, 2011 John added it
Ok, I admit to turning slightly Catholic during the Holidays. This is good to read alongside his actual journals which are of course the source for much of the detail here. I'm on volume 3 of the journals.
Chris
This book is a must read for any Merton fan or critic. It outlines in sometimes harsh detail the life and trials of Merton. It helps you to understand the man behind the popular writings.
Gabriel
A fair and well-researched biography. However, my personal views on Merton are a hopeless muddle.
Lorna_tran
Mar 02, 2008 Lorna_tran added it
Shelves: favorites
Lovely biography of a monk. It's one of the books I won't let go of.
Sara
Jul 29, 2011 Sara marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
1985 finalist
Maryann
Maryann marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
K.h.
K.h. marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Ajay Akkara
Ajay Akkara marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Joya Martin
Joya Martin marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Navarra
Navarra marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Sabryna
Sabryna marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
David Berlekamp
David Berlekamp marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Christopher Goffos
Christopher Goffos marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Monks of Tibhirine: Faith, Love, and Terror in Algeria
  • Teresa of Avila: An Extraordinary Life
  • Consoling the Heart of Jesus: A Do-It-Yourself Retreat- Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius
  • The Fathers
  • On Wealth and Poverty
  • The Mountain of Silence: A Search for Orthodox Spirituality
  • God's Choice: Pope Benedict XVI and the Future of the Catholic Church
  • With God in Russia
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • A Travel Guide to Heaven
  • G.K. Chesterton: The Apostle of Common Sense
  • Forming Intentional Disciples: The Path to Knowing and Following Jesus
Pulsifier: A Fable Master Entrick: An Adventure 1754-1756 (A Yearling Book) The World of Richard Dadd Helmet and Wasps corday