Start by marking “The Frenzy” as Want to Read:
The Frenzy

The Frenzy

3.02  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,318 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
Love is a werewolf, influenced by the moon and terror, and always about to change.

Liv has a secret.

Something happened to her when she was thirteen. Something that changed everything. Liv knows she doesn’t belong anymore—not in her own skin, not in her family . . . not anywhere. The only time she truly feels like herself is when she’s with her boyfriend, Corey, and in the
Published September 28th 2010 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Frenzy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Frenzy

The Wicked Garden by Lenora HensonBeltane by Lenora HensonCity of Ashes by Cassandra ClareFirelight by Sophie JordanCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare
Girls with Red Hair
9th out of 217 books — 148 voters
The Host by Stephenie Meyer1984 by George OrwellUglies by Scott WesterfeldNumbers by Rachel WardSpecials by Scott Westerfeld
Eye of the Beholder
57th out of 444 books — 274 voters

More lists with this book...

Kim
Wow…. what a bummer. I was on a streak; (sort of) I was happily flitting through books and with such glee! I was inspired, intrigued, awake!

What happened, Francesca? What’s going on? Why are you suddenly writing these vampire and werewolf stories? Don’t you know that you’re above the hype. You are an original. You don’t need to succumb to this mainstream muddle of muck.

Where is THIS Francesca?

"Everything was chocolate ice cream and kisses and wind."

or

"Morning. Strawberry sky dusted with white
Greta is Erikasbuddy
Nov 07, 2010 Greta is Erikasbuddy rated it really liked it
Everyone has a monster inside. Whether want to admit it or not. No one is without their skeletons.

Frenzy is not only about a beast that lives inside a girl but also the demons of small town America.

I really dug this book. It spoke to me. I was raised around the same people Liv had around her.

I wouldn't recommend this book to a lot of people. I think Block's writing style would probably annoy them. But to me it sings like a Tori Amos song. It captivates me like a B-movie. It always reminds me tha
Suzanne
Jun 11, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was ok
You know, I'm not sure I've read anything else by Francesca Lia Block, even as famous as she is for YA. I've got to admit that I was expecting more. If this hadn't been short and if I hadn't been stuck in a doctor and a dentist office, I probably wouldn't have finished it. I'm trying hard to allow myself to abandon books after 50 or 100 pages if I just don't really care what happens next. Philosophy: life's too short for bad books, and there are SO many I'll never read, though that would be a ni ...more
Kristy
Apr 12, 2011 Kristy rated it liked it
I definitely don't regret reading this... but I wasn't super blown away by it either.

Slight spoilers up ahead:
I enjoyed the female werewolf point of view. It was a new idea. She was super angry and confused. It consumed her at times. I hate how pretty much all the hate was aimed at the mom. Does the author have mommy issues?!!?! Kidding, but really I would have liked her to stop with the mom for just a bit. I also liked her friend Pace, but I really don't know why his story was neccessary. Why
S.J. Bell
I try to avoid ranting in my reviews. Yes, I'm not always full of praise and kudos. If I see a mistake, I point it out. If an author breaks rules they should know not to, I wag the finger reprovingly. If I find the characters or themes of the story offensive, I will say so. But I don't treat a bad book as a slap in the face. I don't come at an author with both barrels demanding the time I spent reading refunded. I don't take this stuff personally.

The Frenzy is bad in a way that I do take persona
jess
Dec 03, 2011 jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ladyish, yaf, 2011
FLB, why can't I quit you?

This book is about a 17-year-old girl werewolf. She's got a closeted gay best friend and wealthy parents who don't understand her. She lives in a small, racist town, and she's dating a black boy from her high school, so of course, she's "closeted" in her own way with her secret interracial relationship. Her mom hunts wolves from airplanes, which set of an intergenerational feud between the werewolf people and Liv's family.

This book is like, classic Francesca Lia Block
Laura Pratz
Jan 21, 2011 Laura Pratz rated it it was ok

Plot:
Olivia (Liv) doesn't fit in at school (except with her gay best friend, Pace, and her boyfriend, Corey) and she feels like the black sheep in the family. She has a layer of hair all over her body, so she is pretty much ostracized.

Liv feels like a monster practically the entire book, and doesn't really know what she is until she comes across a woman that answers all of her questions for her.

Liv is too scared to tell her parents who and what she really is
Claire (YA Bookie Monster)
Shakeyna
Dec 08, 2010 Shakeyna rated it it was ok
Adrian Duţă
Jul 16, 2015 Adrian Duţă rated it liked it
It was ok. I liked the characters and the plot but neither of them touched their potential. The writing style was ok, kinda cheese at times, but enjoyable.
Tara SG
Nov 02, 2010 Tara SG rated it it was ok
* 1/2

--This book in 6 words:

I would not have finished this

--Why did I read this? And am I glad I did?

I thought this would be a fun read based on the summary. I just didn’t like this. I didn’t like the writing style. I didn’t care about the predictable plot. The characters were forced. While I did like the werewolf mythology, we didn’t really get to see much of it. I’m torn on even trying anything else by this author. If you’re read something by her and like it, will you please let me know?

--Read
Denisa C
Dec 16, 2014 Denisa C rated it it was ok
What the...
I don't get it. It is a standalone, but it doesn't make sense. Such an interesting plot but we just go nowhere.
I coulnd't relate to Liv, it is incredible how much she pissed me off. I didn't get attached to any of the characters, I just didn't care. We get so little detailes about them.
Even if this is a standalone is could have been bigger so the story could actually make sense.
We get plot lines that are never picked up again, they are just there.
We focuse on the love interest an
Lauren
Jul 17, 2010 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Werewolf books never used to one of my favorite types of YA books, but with amazing ones like The Frenzy, Sisters Red, and Raised by Wolves, it's seriously getting harder and harder for them not to be anymore.

The Frenzy tells the story of Liv, a girl who's always felt like an outsider among her peers and family ever since the chaos that occurred when she was thirteen, chaos that lead to her being taken to a shrink and her family and her growing even farther apart. Though, now it's five years la
Alyssa hoffmaster
May 22, 2011 Alyssa hoffmaster rated it liked it
More review here

While I wasn’t disappointed in this book it’s not one of my favorites.

Werewolf books are my favorite genre book, if I had to pick anything to read it would be a werewolf story, I have read a bunch of werewolf stories and they all involve romance or “imprinting” between two wolves in a story, more or less a love triangle.

I had high hopes for this book, unfortunately it wasn’t anything like I was expecting. This book was about werewolves but it really wasn’t the book (If that mak
Oana Ungureanu
Sep 10, 2012 Oana Ungureanu rated it it was ok
Cu ce să încep?

Destul de greu. Ca de obicei.
Pentru început, aș vrea să vă spun că am fost foarte reticentă , mai ales după ce am citit o mulțime de recenzii negative făcute acestei cărți. O aveam în bibliotecă. Ce să fac?
Am lăsat-o la o parte după primele douăzeci de pagini. Asta până când Daniela m-a convins să o reiau.

Eu stau și mă întreb. Ce rol au recenziile? Acela de a ne ghida spre anumite cărți, nu?
Cam așa ceva..
Hai să fim serioși, dacă vreau să scot în ochii voștrii o carte relativ bună
Nely
Sep 16, 2010 Nely rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-review, blog-tour
I was really looking forward to reading The Frenzy. The premise sounded wonderful and I think this new take on werewolves was very unique. But sadly, I really had a hard time getting into it. I found the writing hard to follow and very disjointed. Liv had a lot of potential - but for some reason I could not make a bond with her as a character. Some of the supporting characters were also interesting, but the same thing happened, I just did not feel a connection with any of them.

I did enjoy the st
Tina
Oct 20, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-fantasy
2.5 stars - Fast read. I finished this book in about 3 hours and I'm a slow to average paced reader. This was an okay read. Not boring, but not exciting either. The story line moved along ( a little choppy in parts) but something was missing. It could have been much more.

Yeahs ::

* Shifters/werewoves - my favorite paranormal stories to read ... thumbs up for that.

* Pace was an awesome character. I was drawn to him right away, to bad he wasn't the love interest.

* Joe Ranger twist was cool. I figur
Yan
Sep 11, 2010 Yan rated it did not like it
At the age of 13, Liv experienced two changes: her first period and her first shift. After finding out her mother shot and killed a wolf, sudden rage filled Liv where she fled to the woods to seek comfort against her desire to kill her mother. Liv’s life drastically changes from then on.

Francesca Lia Block is one of those authors that I felt guilty never reading her novels. Her books won awards, recognition, and praise, but I am weary of hype now. Having received an ARC of The Frenzy for review
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
The Frenzy is told from 17 yr old Liv point of view, and starts off with her looking back to when she was 13 years old when the "transformation" first happened. She always felt a little different but when her mother comes home from a hunting trip with a dead wolf in the back of her truck, it sets Liv off and she has no idea what's happening. Liv has never felt more alone that she did then.

Now 17, she has her boyfriend Corey and her best friend Pace. Pace is someone she's confided in. They both s
Kale
Sep 22, 2011 Kale rated it did not like it
The cover is beautiful, it has movement, and interest, all the things the story lacks in abundance.

A quick summary. Liv is a 17 year old werewolf. Who's in denial. She's weird and awkward, but Liv finds a place to belong with Pace her best friend and Corey her boyfriend. Liv lives a lie hiding who and what she is from everyone even herself. Her mom is the perfect former beauty queen huntress, to Liv's abnormal freakish physical qualities and vegetarian tendencies. Liv doesn't want to face what
Bodea
Oct 29, 2010 Bodea rated it really liked it
In The Frenzy, Liv spends most of her time fighting the "rage". She doesn't want to loose control ever again because the first time was a frightening experience and she doesn't trust that she'll be able to regain control a second time. Her life is a constant fight - against her parents, the community she lives in, her peers, and herself. The only things that give her solace are her best friend, her boyfriend, and Joey. However, with the appearance of a mysterious lady in the woods, it becomes ha ...more
Brittany
Oct 09, 2010 Brittany rated it really liked it
Liv has a secret, that she has kept since it first reared it's ugly head when she was thirteen. She knows what is inside her, but she has chosen to ignore it. When she starts to love Corey though, she wants to tell him so bad, but is afraid it will make him hate her and leave her. She finds some people in the woods who try to explain things to her, but Liv doesn't know if she can trust them. Liv isn't sure who her real family is and who she can trust at all.

This was a pretty good book. I'm tryin
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by LadyJay for TeensReadToo.com

Strange things have been happening to Liv. Ever since her thirteenth birthday, she has felt cursed - trapped by something she can't explain.

Her body is not her own - a transformation has begun and there is no way of stopping it. Her peers make fun of her, and her parents are far from understanding. Liv finds solace in her best friend, Pace, the beautiful, talented jock who is hiding a secret of his own, and boyfriend, Corey, who must hide in the shadows be
Annie McElfresh
Oct 16, 2010 Annie McElfresh rated it liked it
This book was a toughie for me. While I loved the concept of this book, I found I couldn't relate enough to the characters to really invest in them. The idea that Liv is a werewolf and doesn't know it, is exactly the kind of concept I usually go crazy for, but not with this one so much. I did, however, love the idea that her mother is a wolf hunter and there was crazy tension between Liv and her parents.

There were some other interesting things about this book that added a nice spin on the tradi
Courtney
Nov 14, 2011 Courtney rated it did not like it
Ella
Nov 08, 2015 Ella rated it it was ok
WTF have I just read ?!
Julie Decker
Sep 01, 2014 Julie Decker rated it liked it
This is the first-person narration of the life of Liv, or Olivia, who had something scary happen to her when she was thirteen. Unsure of what happened to her to make her want to attack her mother after she brought home a dead wolf in a hunting expedition, Liv ran into the woods and didn't remember what happened to her. She's afraid to go on with her life or allow herself to get angry or passionate, because she doesn't want whatever she felt when she was thirteen to happen again.

Her best friend i

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Liv has a secret.

Abbie
Aug 07, 2015 Abbie rated it really liked it
Wow. I had my doubts in the beginning--the writing style is kind of weird and really lacking in commas where I'm used to them being, plus the really big margins make what is 258 pages, double spaced, more like 210--but this ended up being a . . . an intense read, I guess I'll say. More like infuriating, actually. Liv had to put up with some nasty, horrible stuff right up to the end . . . and the end wasn't too satisfying. I hope there's a sequel. But, really, the crap she had to deal with toward ...more
Kimmyh
Jul 28, 2015 Kimmyh rated it really liked it
When she was thirteen, the change came over her for the first time. She was never able to figure out what had happened other than the fact that she had tried to attack her mother, with the intent to kill.

She was sent to a Therapist and the medications she's prescribed help, but, on the nights of the Full Moon, especially with the combination of her Menstrual Cycle, she again finds herself fighting urges she does not understand.

Now, at Seventeen, she finally discovers why she is so different fr
  • Daughter of Lions
  • Evidence of Angels
  • Taking Off
  • Dark Song
  • Extraordinary
  • Book of Revenge (Knight Angels, #2)
  • The Julian Game
  • Loups-Garous
  • Nocturne (Claire de Lune, #2)
  • Secrets of a First Daughter (First Daughter, #2)
  • Girl Next Door
  • Half Moon
Francesca Lia Block was born in Los Angeles to a poet and a painter, their creativity an obvious influence on her writing. Another influence was her childhood love of Greek mythology and fairy tales.
She has lived in the city all her life, and still resides there with her daughter, Jasmine Angelina (about whom she wrote her book Guarding the Moon), her son Samuel Alexander, and her two dogs: a spr
More about Francesca Lia Block...

“love is the only thing we have to save us” 12 likes
“I didn't tell him that what I was most scared of, most haunted by, was something I didn't understand and could never run away from. It was myself.” 8 likes