Start by marking “Star Wars Children of the Jedi” as Want to Read:
Star Wars Children of the Jedi

Star Wars Children of the Jedi (Star Wars Legends)

3.26  ·  Rating Details ·  7,545 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Callista is a brave Jedi warrior who gave her life to save a sanctuary for wives and children of Jedi knights from obliteration by the Empire. Suddenly, a dreadnought is rearming itself for shelter destruction. Only Luke Skywalker can feel the evil presence and the influence of believed decades-dead Callista.
Library Binding, 409 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by San Val, Incorporated (first published May 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Star Wars Children of the Jedi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Wars Children of the Jedi

Ron
Nov 29, 2009 Ron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the worst SW book I've read. Lame, derivative, pointless. Hambly tosses the usual SW suspects into a moonlet; introduces the obligatory Palpatine clone/hand/minion/offspring; starts the ticking clock, and it still comes out with a hodgepodge of seemingly plagiarized elements.

Did Hambly read other SW novels before writing this? No, did she see the movies? She apparently doesn't understand what the Force is or how it works (or doesn't). She included the cliches, but not the spirit of Star
Kevis Hendrickson
I've read quite a few Star Wars books in my time and not all of them were great. But Children of the Jedi by Barbara Hambly is without question the worst Star Wars book ever written. I had to fight to get through the book and found the story to be quite lacking in every department. The romance between Luke and Callista seemed forced and was a complete turn off. Children of the Jedi is easily one of the worst books I've ever read and is a black eye on the Star Wars franchise. I don't know how thi ...more
Crystal Starr Light
The great Jedi Master Luke passes out - Times Four!
Han, Luke, and Leia are on Ithor, enjoying the beautiful Time of Meeting, when an old associate of Han's appears and leaves them with a cryptic message. This message leads Han and Leia to the mysterious world of Belsavis, and Luke and his students, Cray Mingla, brilliant scientist, and her fiancee, Nichos Marr, head to the Moonflower Nebula. Both quickly uncover a plot by a former Emperor's Hand to destroy Belasavis.
NOTE: I read this book years
Kelly
Here's the thing: I have an upchuck reflex just thinking about this book. I know that I should say, "HATEY HATE HATE SO BAD!" because that's what I'm doing without even thinking about it. I remember laughing at this and ranting about how bad it was, and I remember it being one of the few SW books I gave away.

... and unfortunately, now, eight years or so after I read this, I have no idea why. So, ah, take it with a grain of salt.
Mike
Unless you are a SW completeist, avoid this book (and all others by Hambly) like the plague! Hell, even if you MUST have every SW book printed, just don't read it-put it on the shelf with your collection and never touch it again.

Barbara Hambley's books are filled chock full with fail and aids-I've even tried reading her non-SW fic, and it's like reading bad fan fiction online. I won't even deign to give this book a single star. Blech!
Amy Rae
THIS IS A TWO-POINT-FIVE-STAR BOOK and it's sort of killing me to round up to 3, but here we are.

Children of the Jedi has some interesting ideas about the nature of humanity, as well as some interesting settings. How close to human intelligence is artificial intelligence? How far are you willing to go to save a loved one? Do people ever really change? It's also setting up a Boys from Brazil-esque hunt for Imperials who beat the system by hiding out on Planet Nowheresville, but it looks like you'
J.
May 15, 2011 J. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a sort of mixed reaction in reading Children of the Jedi, because it didn't work for me on a literary level and it frustrated me just due to the contradictory nature of most of its entirety. The timeline is crazy wrong, which normally can be forgiven because it predates the prequel trilogy, but at the same time the author can't manage to get the continuity from the previous Jedi Academy series which precede the events of this book. She somehow manages to switch up who destroyed the Sun Cru ...more
Jasmine
Jan 12, 2017 Jasmine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
C-390 was good. Learned interesting stuff about stormtrooper indoctrination. General plot and also the romance was passe at best.
Justin Benz
Michael
Mar 29, 2012 Michael rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever get your hands on a copy of this book. This is your only warning. Burn It!!!!
TheBookHunter
Children of the Jedi is a novel I'd really like to say is not an essential read for anyone looking to get into Star Wars books. In fact, the novel is severely lacking the excitement that is Star Wars.

I once received this book years back as a gift and after reading it through I was blown away of how bizarre, out of place and drab this story was.

It's practically a trippy fever dream through half of it, as our main cast of characters, Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker are separated for th
Scott Rhee
Of the many Star Wars Expanded Universe novels I have read, Barbara Hambly's "Children of the Jedi" ranks somewhere in the middle. I've certainly read much better books in the series, but I've also read worse. Coming off the heels of reading Dave Wolverton's horribly cheesy "The Courtship of Princess Leia", this book was superb.

Hambly is a talented writer who clearly has a knack for developing character depth. In this book, in particular, she gives the character of Princess Leia much more charac
Bryan
Oct 28, 2014 Bryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not terrible, but very underwhelming. The whole Luke/Callista subplot was a little weird. There were a few moments that I felt clashed a bit with the Star Wars continuity, but nothing that really bothered me. The biggest problem was that the book felt extremely long with very little plot advancement going on. A more concise story would have been more enjoyable. The author also had an annoying tendency to add paragraphs of irrelevant description in the middle of dialogue, causing the reader to lo ...more
William Hill
May 31, 2015 William Hill rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the most offensively stupid books I've read with Star Wars written on the cover. It's a dull, stilted, poorly conceived "adventure". It makes Attack of the Clones look like Citizen Kane.
Donsmaniac
Ok i'm gonna be honest and say there is a few books in the star wars expanded universe that you should avoid and this is one of them.

Maybe its just me but i found this book boring and a challenge to finish it.
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
I noticed when I picked this up how many bad reviews it has received from fellow goodreads members. So, naturally I expected to utterly hate this, but I really actually enjoyed parts of it. I will admit it definitely isn't the best Star Wars novel ever or even close, but it wasn't utterly unreadable either like some Kevin J. Anderson books I've had to choke my way through. *cough*JediAcademyTrilogy*coug* Yes, it the Luke/Callista thing is a bit weird and makes me a tad uncomfortable, but it work ...more
Kim
Jun 30, 2008 Kim rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's been about 15 years since I read this, but I was so irritated by this book I still remember it like it was yesterday.

After reading some amazing Star Wars canon (before the other two movie trilogies showed up to make it all apocrypha) - especially the amazing anthology Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina - I grabbed this one. The whole book felt like the author rewatched one or two of the movies for a reference with no interest in reading other Star Wars authors, then banged it out over the co
Suzanne Wood
I adore this book. Have read it so many times. Such good writing and story, equal time for Luke and Han and Leia. The aliens abord the rogue ship are fantastic, specially the mushroomy chaps. The relationship that develops for Luke was one that felt very real and believable. I was more than disappointed when it was sidelined for the Mara story later on. Fantastic!!
Oh, special cudos to Threepio - he acquitted himself admirably.

Note - these earlier Star Wars books (particularly those written by l
Jerry
May 30, 2012 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The majority of the reviews for Children of the Jedi are either saying it's among the worst of the Star Wars novels...or among the best. My feelings on it were more moderate; it wasn't amazing, but it also wasn't terrible. The story was decent, although nowhere near as enthralling as any of the movies. The writing was also passable. In fact, pretty much everything about Children of the Jedi was mediocre; so much so, that I can only recommend it to die-hard Star Wars enthusiasts, or those who hav ...more
Allie
Feb 15, 2009 Allie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wealhtheow
Jun 28, 2007 Wealhtheow rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I don't remember much about this book, but I think it's the one where Han and Leia's children are kidnapped and at one point, consumed by a Force-wielding slug thing.

ETA: ok, so apparently this is not the book with the magic space slug. Instead, it is the story of Luke's attempt to destroy the Empire's superweapon "Eye of Palpatine". His only ally on the ghost ship is another ghost, that of a long-dead Jedi named Callista. I kinda liked her, but the romance was a bit soppy.
Sally
Mar 17, 2012 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this back before the new trilogy came out and it made more sense before George Lucas began fiddling around with the lore.

That being said, I thought the novel was a fun read -- mistakes and all. I actually enjoyed parts of the novel, though I do have to admit I was very prone to just skimming until I found the next good part. It's not the worst novel I've read and it's definitely not the best, but overall -- it was still fun.
Tara Hall
Dec 27, 2012 Tara Hall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book years ago, my one foray away from the movies that I was weaned on. While it was very interesting to suppose what might have happened after the events of Return of the Jedi, I was not enthused enough to read further books of the Star Wars alternate universe. But this was a very romantic fantasy novel that was both engrossing and entertaining, I just found the ending to be a little too sweet/pat.
John
Nov 02, 2013 John marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
So awful I cannot continue. Yesterday I lost another day that could have been spent reading anything by trying to get through this mess.

I made it to page 136 which is 39% of the book.

I am not alone in my opinion. The first ten goodreads reviews slam this. I want to finish it so I can have another one-star book, but I can't make myself read any more.

shelf: abandoned
Yati
I sort of rolled my eyes at the romance parts; admittedly if those parts didn't exist I would have liked Callista just fine.

What alarmed me most, though, was how Luke seemed to get physically injured all the time (I still rolled my eyes at the brokenhearted bits).
Daniel Kukwa
Jan 23, 2011 Daniel Kukwa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
A very strange story -- the romanticism-meets-cyberpunk plot makes this very unique in the Star Wars novel series...almost a pure SF story in its own right, with special guest appearance by Luke Skywalker. I found it more fascinating than all-out entertaining & enjoyable.
Joseph Rankin
Feb 26, 2009 Joseph Rankin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No
This has got to be the worst Star Wars book I have ever read. I really enjoy all of the others, but this book drug out so bad. Plus the story line was not great. Unless you are like me & want to just keep with a chronilogical read even if the book isn't great, I do not recommend picking it up.
Joseph
Dec 03, 2008 Joseph rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This book was so confusing! In my opinion, it wasn't very well written when compared to Timothy Zahn, and it's a good thing that Kevin J. Anderson continues the story presented here in a mervelous way.
Ojas
Oct 24, 2007 Ojas rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book confused the hell outta me, i have good reading comprehension skills, but i had no clue what was going on in this book
Chris
Apr 15, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
rubbish really
  • The New Rebellion (Star Wars)
  • The Crystal Star (Star Wars)
  • Tyrant's Test (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #3)
  • Darksaber (Star Wars)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)
  • The Truce at Bakura (Star Wars)
  • The Swarm War (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #3)
  • The Courtship of Princess Leia (Star Wars)
  • Hero's Trial (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #4)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Tales from the Empire (Star Wars)
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Star Wars Legends (1 - 10 of 346 books)
  • Dawn of the Jedi:  Into the Void
  • Precipice (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #1)
  • Skyborn (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #2)
  • Paragon (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #3)
  • Savior (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #4)
  • Purgatory (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #5)
  • Sentinel (Star Wars: Lost Tribe of the Sith, #6)
  • Revan (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #1)
  • Deceived (Star Wars: The Old Republic, #2)
  • Red Harvest

“Luke talks about the power that lies in the dark side. The Force isn’t the only thing that has a dark side, Han. And the tricky thing about the dark side is that it’s so easy to use—and it gets you what you think you want.” 0 likes