Start by marking “Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)” as Want to Read:
Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)

Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)

WARNING! As of today, there are only 7 CHILDREN who have ever read this book and lived to tell about it. 95 CHILDREN successfully read the first chapter, but upon beginning chapter 2, they started BLABBERING in some language known only as "flibberish." 38 CHILDREN made it halfway through this wretched book before they began SUCKING THEIR THUMBS THROUGH THEIR NOSES.

If you'r
Published October 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published January 1st 2010)

Pranta Ghosh Dastider
Nov 28, 2015 Pranta Ghosh Dastider rated it really liked it
I would say, this was a kid grade fantasy. And that's not a bad thing. Something that everyone can read and anyone can have fun from. Some jokes I really liked and some was hit and miss. Overall it kept me amused. The story got better after it was 50% through. My favorite character in this story is Agatha, I like the curses she came up with and how different her character was from anything I have ever read. Elliot was also one good character, perfect portrait of kids of his age. He was a good pe ...more
Amy
Jun 01, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Elliot wasn't known as a hero - he was usually the one getting beat up. He never knew that an act of kindness on Halloween would lead him to a destiny he never could have imagined.

The Brownies and the goblins have been at war for a VERY long time. And it's not just any war, if the brownies lose - they are eaten like the tasty treats they sound like. When the old ruler dies, someone must step in and fill in to lead the brownies to victory. Here comes Elliot. Savior of the day!

This book was a cute
Maeleah
Feb 02, 2011 Maeleah rated it it was amazing
Hooked from the beginning with a warning that only seven children have "read the book and lived to tell about", this fantasy story of human boy, Elliot, who becomes king of the underworld, exudes comical delight on every other page. Elliot is bumping along with a sister that burns everything she cooks, an uncle that seems to go in and out of jail like water, and brothers who are more interested in flooding the back yard than helping Elliot out. It all starts on Halloween night when Elliot has ac ...more
Diane
Sep 29, 2011 Diane rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I understand this was written for kids, but it was still a bit outrageous. I especially hate the whole "author takes a break from the story to talk to the reader" element about it. Just not my idea of a good story.
Gmr
Oct 17, 2010 Gmr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of all ages
Recommended to Gmr by: Jennifer Nielsen
After a run in of the Goblin and Brownie variety dubs Elliot as a hero in the eyes of a few select citizens of the Underworld once upon a Halloween, his future is set in motion, and it's one he couldn't possibly expect, especially since he has no idea it's coming! The start to a great new Middle Grade series....you DO NOT want to pass this up! Elliot is such a likeable character and his family is so quirky you almost wonder how they fit together...but like all families, they do and quite well. T ...more
jennifer
This book is like the fantasy - little boy, goblin, brownie, pixie - version of THE WORST DAY EVER. Everything just goes wrong and keeps on going - from accidently starting a goblin/brownie war, to flunking a spelling test to help a hag get her cursing powers back, to a disappearing bedroom, to your house blowing up. It's an everything goes wrong, no one notices, fiasco! It is very cute and very funny. It's a book that I think little boys who always manage to get into all kinds of mischief and c ...more
Gina (My Precious Blog)
Reasons for picking up this book and reading it were: to complete my Off the Shelf reading challenge, because I heard Jennifer A. Nielsen's A False Prince was fantastic and it was supposed to be a quick, light, fast read. I can't say I was disappointed. My only problem with the book (and its only my personal problem) is the reading level is pretty much at the recommended age level. Sometimes a young reader's book will also be written in a way that potentially appeals also to adults, this for me ...more
Annette
Feb 15, 2012 Annette rated it really liked it
Fun book. Elliot is a young boy who gets himself involved in a Goblin/Brownie War after helping a brownie get away from a goblin on Halloween night. Jennifer Nielsen has a very interesting writing style slipping in warnings to the reader and comments about translating goblin language for the reader, etc. These humorous quips inserting into the story are entertaining. Elliot has some rough times in his life (poor, bullied, uncle in jail) but the book is not intense so these topics are not scary f ...more
Brenda
Nov 06, 2011 Brenda rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
On Halloween while out trick or treating, Elliot unbeknownst to him, helps save a brownie from a goblin. It is because of this kind deed that he sets of a war between the two. It is also Elliot who is made the first human king of the brownies when the queen dies. I really enjoyed this series. The narrator talks directly to you as your reading and she has a very humorous style which makes the story very funny. I certainly will be picking up the next one in the series.
Beth
May 01, 2011 Beth rated it really liked it
While out trick or treating, Elliot saves a fairy from goblins (he, of course, doesn't realize they REALLY are a fairy and goblins). Later, unknown to him, he is named the king of the fairies when the queen dies. This book is a humorous, rather than scary, fantasy. The narrator often talks directly to the reader in a funny or sarcastic way. Since it is written at a 5th grade level, this might be a good book for students who read above their grade level.
Phoebe
Dec 30, 2010 Phoebe rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Cheryl
One Halloween night, Elliot has an unexpected encounter with a Brownie named Patches and three goblins. This fateful meeting will affect Elliot's future in an amazing way--three years later, he is pronounced the new king of the Brownies, who need his help to win the war with the goblins. This is a good readaloud for 4th and 5th graders. The author writes well and has created a humorous, intriguing storyline. Let's hope for more!
Joe Hempel
Aug 12, 2011 Joe Hempel rated it really liked it
This was a cute kids story about a war between the goblins and the brownies.

Written kind of like the Lemony Snicket series.

It's short and sweet, and is a great addition to your kids library!
Rachel
Feb 19, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Great children's book! It's a fun one to read with kids, because it's very witty. You will not get bored!
Char
Feb 01, 2012 Char rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book about facing up to your fears and not letting bullies get the best of you.
Rosalie
Feb 19, 2011 Rosalie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Great book for both boys and girls! After reading the first page of this book I was hooked!
Brenda Nielsen
Jul 06, 2011 Brenda Nielsen rated it it was amazing
Fun for the whole family to read, together or separately.
Tami
Elliott and the Goblin War is the delightful, fantasy-filled tale of eleven-year-old Elliot Penster and how he becomes the King of the Brownies (Underworld inhabitants smaller than elves). At age eight, although Elliott is frequently bullied by Tubs Lawless, a boy who is two years older than him and lives just up the road, Elliott comes to the defense of a little girl on Halloween night being chased and having her treat sack stolen by three bigger children dressed as Goblins.

Elliott discovers, h
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Elliot somehow finds himself appointed King of the Brownies (not the kind you eat--the kind that likes to clean your house as you sleep. I'd be happy with either of them in my house). He first came to the Brownies' attention after he saved one of them from some evil Goblins on Halloween night. That night, Elliot also started a war between the Brownies and the Goblins, so I guess it's only fair that he has to lead the Brownies. The problem is that the Brownies have no concept of how war should wo ...more
Amariah Dixon
Mar 30, 2015 Amariah Dixon rated it really liked it
An interesting, strange, funny little book. I enjoyed the humor. I found the characters likable and the premise entertaining. I read it in 3 days--being that it was a quick and easy read. I had read The False Prince (by the same author) and liked it a lot and when I found out about this book, I decided to give it a chance. Not a disappointment! Though I wouldn't have minded a little more action. Definitely four out of five stars! (In my opinion)
Libby Ames
When Elliot Penster unwittingly saves a young Brownie from some Goblins one Halloween, he has no idea how his life will change. Young Patches Willimaker is so grateful to Elliot that she can’t stop talking about him at home. His name is so familiar around the house that when Queen Bipsy asks Mr. Willimaker to name her successor, Elliot’s name comes to mind. Mr. Willimaker never believes the Brownies will make Elliot king, but they follow the wish of their queen.

Elliot soon finds himself the rule
Mrs. Downs
GR Level: ?
Lexile: 740L

FIC NIE

Elliot is minding his own business on Halloween then what would come about but a brownie and some goblins. Elliot does what he can to keep the brownie safe- just figuring a bunch of kids being rough on Halloween. This is only the beginning of his dealings with brownies and goblins. . .and boy does it move along quickly!
Fun read with clever and witty writing.
Theo kids
Sep 22, 2016 Theo kids rated it it was ok
The family characters were clever and unusual, but sadly, all the rest, particularly the villains, were as predictable as trick or treaters on Halloween. The story did have interesting concepts and wasn't bad for child-level fantasy, however it was peppered with jokes that detracted from the plot, and frequently elicited a groan more often than a chuckle.

Still, I probably would have given it 3 stars except for one small detail in the writing style: I simply cannot abide stories that keep up a r
Heidi
I found Elliot and the Goblin War to be both exciting and humorous. The intrusive narrator, which might be annoying to some readers, I thought was funny (see above). I snorted and giggled my way through this book. I really liked Elliot, mostly because he is a pretty normal kid. He doesn't have special powers or anything. He only becomes King of the Brownies through an accident involving a couple of goblins (he thought they were wearing costumes), a brownie, and a bag of pickles. By trying to hel ...more
Erica
Mar 25, 2016 Erica rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, novel
Fun read with clever and witty writing.
Anna
Jan 24, 2015 Anna rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this fun mid-elementary age book. It has an enticing teaser, telling the reader that most kids did not survive the reading, so proceed at your own risk. It is the story of a boy who saves a Brownie from a Goblin and becomes embroiled in an under-world adventure. Light and fun humor, yet still laced with great messages about standing up for others.
Jenben8426
Aug 29, 2012 Jenben8426 rated it liked it
When Elliot was 8 years old he saw a brownie and a goblin--in fact he saved the brownie from getting eaten by the goblin. However, that day was Halloween and he thought they were just kids in costumes. Fast forward three years later and Elliot now finds himself king of all the Brownies and he has to stop the war between them and the Goblins. Elliot's not quite sure he is up for the job, but he soon realizes he has more to himself than meets the eye.

A cute book--probably a 3.5 stars for me. The a
Seth
Feb 17, 2015 Seth rated it liked it
Shelves: by-myself
Elliot got a little scared one Halloween because of fake goblins, or were they fake? Elliot got to be the king of the brownies. He got to be the king of the brownies because he saved a brownie.The brownie he saved was named patches. Elliot got the goblins friends with the brownies!
Cecilia Rodriguez
On Halloween night, Elliot saves what he believes to be a kid in a costume. In reality, Elliot has just saved a brownie.
The story is exaggerated and very silly, set off by the black and white illustrations by Gideon Kendall.
H.B. Moore
Jan 09, 2015 H.B. Moore rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
My daughters really enjoyed this book, ages 11 & 7. Although my 7 year old kept asking "What is a 'brownie' again?" She couldn't wrap her mind around that fact that a "brownie" is a pixie in this book and not a chocolatey dessert.
Danielle
Feb 03, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
I picked up this book in the public library, having a lot of other books in my hands , thinking it just as a reprieve from the darker world of young adult fiction. Boy, I didn't expect something so cultivated and entertaining from this book. Fun read!
Free Giveaway 1 4 Oct 14, 2010 03:51AM
  • Neverdark
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • Agent Q, or The Smell of Danger! (Pals in Peril #4)
  • Smugglers' Mine (Something Wickedly Weird, #5)
  • Happily Ever After (Girls to the Rescue #1)
  • The Farwalker’s Quest
  • Brains For Lunch: A Zombie Novel in Haiku?!
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Call (The Magnificent 12, #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Lost Children
  • Young Lord of Khadora (Forgotten Legacy, #1)
  • Dillweed's Revenge: A Deadly Dose of Magic
  • 101 Dalmatians (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • The Ghostwriter Secret (Brixton Brothers #2)
  • Penumbras (Middle School Magic, #2)
  • The Faerie Door
Jennifer lives at the base of a very tall mountain in Northern Utah with her husband, three children, and a naughty puppy. She loves the smell of rainy days, hot chocolate, and old books, preferably all at once. She is a former speech teacher, theater director, and enjoyed a brief but disastrous career as a door-to-door pollster. In her spare time, Jennifer tends to panic, wondering what she has f ...more
More about Jennifer A. Nielsen...

Underworld Chronicles (3 books)
  • Elliot and the Pixie Plot (Underworld Chronicles #2)
  • Elliot and the Last Underworld War (Underworld Chronicles, #3)