Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)

Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  277 ratings  ·  77 reviews
WARNING!

As of today, there are only 7 CHILDREN who have ever read this book and lived to tell about it. 95 CHILDREN successfully read the first chapter, but upon beginning chapter 2, they started BLABBERING in some language known only as "flibberish." 38 CHILDREN made it halfway through this wretched book before they began SUCKING THEIR THUMBS THROUGH THEIR NOSES.

If you're

Published October 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published January 1st 2010)

Maeleah
Hooked from the beginning with a warning that only seven children have "read the book and lived to tell about", this fantasy story of human boy, Elliot, who becomes king of the underworld, exudes comical delight on every other page. Elliot is bumping along with a sister that burns everything she cooks, an uncle that seems to go in and out of jail like water, and brothers who are more interested in flooding the back yard than helping Elliot out. It all starts on Halloween night when Elliot has ac...more
Amy
Elliot wasn't known as a hero - he was usually the one getting beat up. He never knew that an act of kindness on Halloween would lead him to a destiny he never could have imagined.

The Brownies and the goblins have been at war for a VERY long time. And it's not just any war, if the brownies lose - they are eaten like the tasty treats they sound like. When the old ruler dies, someone must step in and fill in to lead the brownies to victory. Here comes Elliot. Savior of the day!

This book was a cute...more
Gmr
Oct 17, 2010 Gmr rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: readers of all ages
Recommended to Gmr by: Jennifer Nielsen
After a run in of the Goblin and Brownie variety dubs Elliot as a hero in the eyes of a few select citizens of the Underworld once upon a Halloween, his future is set in motion, and it's one he couldn't possibly expect, especially since he has no idea it's coming! The start to a great new Middle Grade series....you DO NOT want to pass this up! Elliot is such a likeable character and his family is so quirky you almost wonder how they fit together...but like all families, they do and quite well. T...more
jennifer
This book is like the fantasy - little boy, goblin, brownie, pixie - version of THE WORST DAY EVER. Everything just goes wrong and keeps on going - from accidently starting a goblin/brownie war, to flunking a spelling test to help a hag get her cursing powers back, to a disappearing bedroom, to your house blowing up. It's an everything goes wrong, no one notices, fiasco! It is very cute and very funny. It's a book that I think little boys who always manage to get into all kinds of mischief and c...more
Gina (My Precious)
Reasons for picking up this book and reading it were: to complete my Off the Shelf reading challenge, because I heard Jennifer A. Nielsen's A False Prince was fantastic and it was supposed to be a quick, light, fast read. I can't say I was disappointed. My only problem with the book (and its only my personal problem) is the reading level is pretty much at the recommended age level. Sometimes a young reader's book will also be written in a way that potentially appeals also to adults, this for me...more
Annette
Fun book. Elliot is a young boy who gets himself involved in a Goblin/Brownie War after helping a brownie get away from a goblin on Halloween night. Jennifer Nielsen has a very interesting writing style slipping in warnings to the reader and comments about translating goblin language for the reader, etc. These humorous quips inserting into the story are entertaining. Elliot has some rough times in his life (poor, bullied, uncle in jail) but the book is not intense so these topics are not scary f...more
Brenda
On Halloween while out trick or treating, Elliot unbeknownst to him, helps save a brownie from a goblin. It is because of this kind deed that he sets of a war between the two. It is also Elliot who is made the first human king of the brownies when the queen dies. I really enjoyed this series. The narrator talks directly to you as your reading and she has a very humorous style which makes the story very funny. I certainly will be picking up the next one in the series.
Beth
While out trick or treating, Elliot saves a fairy from goblins (he, of course, doesn't realize they REALLY are a fairy and goblins). Later, unknown to him, he is named the king of the fairies when the queen dies. This book is a humorous, rather than scary, fantasy. The narrator often talks directly to the reader in a funny or sarcastic way. Since it is written at a 5th grade level, this might be a good book for students who read above their grade level.
Phoebe
Dec 30, 2010 Phoebe rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Cheryl
One Halloween night, Elliot has an unexpected encounter with a Brownie named Patches and three goblins. This fateful meeting will affect Elliot's future in an amazing way--three years later, he is pronounced the new king of the Brownies, who need his help to win the war with the goblins. This is a good readaloud for 4th and 5th graders. The author writes well and has created a humorous, intriguing storyline. Let's hope for more!
Joe Hempel
This was a cute kids story about a war between the goblins and the brownies.

Written kind of like the Lemony Snicket series.

It's short and sweet, and is a great addition to your kids library!
Rachel
Great children's book! It's a fun one to read with kids, because it's very witty. You will not get bored!
Char
Cute little book about facing up to your fears and not letting bullies get the best of you.
Rosalie
Great book for both boys and girls! After reading the first page of this book I was hooked!
Brenda Nielsen
Fun for the whole family to read, together or separately.
Tami
Elliott and the Goblin War is the delightful, fantasy-filled tale of eleven-year-old Elliot Penster and how he becomes the King of the Brownies (Underworld inhabitants smaller than elves). At age eight, although Elliott is frequently bullied by Tubs Lawless, a boy who is two years older than him and lives just up the road, Elliott comes to the defense of a little girl on Halloween night being chased and having her treat sack stolen by three bigger children dressed as Goblins.

Elliott discovers, h...more
JG (The Introverted Reader)
Elliot somehow finds himself appointed King of the Brownies (not the kind you eat--the kind that likes to clean your house as you sleep. I'd be happy with either of them in my house). He first came to the Brownies' attention after he saved one of them from some evil Goblins on Halloween night. That night, Elliot also started a war between the Brownies and the Goblins, so I guess it's only fair that he has to lead the Brownies. The problem is that the Brownies have no concept of how war should wo...more
Libby Ames
When Elliot Penster unwittingly saves a young Brownie from some Goblins one Halloween, he has no idea how his life will change. Young Patches Willimaker is so grateful to Elliot that she can’t stop talking about him at home. His name is so familiar around the house that when Queen Bipsy asks Mr. Willimaker to name her successor, Elliot’s name comes to mind. Mr. Willimaker never believes the Brownies will make Elliot king, but they follow the wish of their queen.

Elliot soon finds himself the rule...more
Heidi
I found Elliot and the Goblin War to be both exciting and humorous. The intrusive narrator, which might be annoying to some readers, I thought was funny (see above). I snorted and giggled my way through this book. I really liked Elliot, mostly because he is a pretty normal kid. He doesn't have special powers or anything. He only becomes King of the Brownies through an accident involving a couple of goblins (he thought they were wearing costumes), a brownie, and a bag of pickles. By trying to hel...more
Jenben8426
When Elliot was 8 years old he saw a brownie and a goblin--in fact he saved the brownie from getting eaten by the goblin. However, that day was Halloween and he thought they were just kids in costumes. Fast forward three years later and Elliot now finds himself king of all the Brownies and he has to stop the war between them and the Goblins. Elliot's not quite sure he is up for the job, but he soon realizes he has more to himself than meets the eye.

A cute book--probably a 3.5 stars for me. The a...more
Danielle
I picked up this book in the public library, having a lot of other books in my hands , thinking it just as a reprieve from the darker world of young adult fiction. Boy, I didn't expect something so cultivated and entertaining from this book. Fun read!
Rick Daley
This book had me from the opening paragraph. It's a fun read, full of magic and mayhem. Elliot unknowingly befriends a friendly Underworld creature called a Brownie, who is nothing like the snack you are thinking of unless you are a Goblin, and then a Brownie is a very delicious treat. But for Elliot, the Brownie is a catalyst for adventure, danger, and...well...royalty.

The story was interesting, but what really makes this book is the author's playful voice. She has a great wit and the humor com...more
Karen
Elliot is an average boy that gets chosen to be the Brownie King when the Queen dies and doesn't name a successor. Mr Willimaker who is with the Queen when she dies remembers his daughter talking about a nice human boy that saved her from the Goblins on Halloween. Thinking that the Brownies will never let a human be King, he presents the name and no one except Fudd is opposed. Elliot’s troubles only begin when he finds out that he is now King. The Goblins are at war with the Brownies and Fudd is...more
Wart Hill
Apr 07, 2014 Wart Hill marked it as gave-up  ·  review of another edition
When all the goblin women want to be with and all the goblin men want to be the great war hero goblin, I think it's time to throw in The towel.

Dnf at 8%
Kami
- The story was humorous and fun from the get go.

- The Illustrations were great! I loved how they appeared before the part of the story that was illustrated.

- I like the passages where the author speaks directly to the reader. It adds back story, explanation, and it made me laugh.

- I want chocolate cake now, with a big glass of milk!

- This book was pretty cute, and I think a lot young readers would enjoy it, especially boys.

- Since I finished the book, I'm a little disappointed that I don't sp...more
Cindy
I wasn't instantly in love with this book. I wish there had been more action and a little less side trips where the author talked to the reader. That being said, there was a tone to the book that made it cute and the story went by fairly quickly.

I really believe without the hundreds of side comments to the writer it would have been okay. I don't know how many times I read "Now Dear Reader" but it was enough to make me scream when I saw it.

Other than that small problem it was a nice plot, good...more
C.S. Einfeld
I really enjoyed this book. As others have mentioned, the tone reminds me of "Lemony Snicket", with its "Dear Reader" authorial intrusion (which, I love). It even features its own 'series of unfortunate events'. Great cast of characters, loads of chocolate cake and carrots (nevermind--you'll see how the two go together), and a rollicking pace that kept me planted as firmly as Goblin garbage in the Underworld until I'd turned the last page. There's not a tween topside who won't enjoy this book. V...more
Tricia
Loved the cheeky tone of this book about Elliot who unknowingly tumbles into an interspecies war one Halloween when he defends a Brownie (not the girl scout-y kind) from goblins. Being a time of costumes, how was he to know that the elfish girl and creepy goblins were real? What follows is an amusing story of Elliot's reign as King of the Brownies, fighting goblins and treachery within the brownies to end the "Goblin War". First of a series...definitely think children who like snicket will eat t...more
Jenny Mock

I want to give this book 3.5 stars. At points I wondered if my sense of humor was broken. I put it down for a few weeks and enjoyed the last part far more than I did the first part. The humor is very tongue-in-cheek and I can definitely see some elementary kids liking it. It's a fun concept - young boy turned Brownie king helping to stop the Goblin War that he inadvertently helped to start. Elliot is a character that kids will be able to relate to and like.
A fun, goofy book, best described as inspired silliness. Not something that is as easy to write as it might seem, yet Nielsen makes it appear effortless. I’m quite pleased that I made it through chapter 15 with my limbs intact, but I’ll tell you, I was worried there for a while. Perhaps those of us named Jennifer have a better chance of reaching the end. I look forward, with equal parts eagerness and trepidation, to the sequel.
Kristen
The Short of It: A seriously hilarious new addition to an action-packed fantasy adventure. I love that the narration is so tongue and cheek and warns you away from the novel altogether - reminds me a bit of Lemony Snicket's series in that aspect. I think this new series has everything kids want, something gross, something hilarious and something full of adventure. Definitely a series I will be recommending to my students.
Free Giveaway 1 4 Oct 13, 2010 06:51PM
  • Neverdark
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1)
  • How to Slay a Dragon (The Journals of Myrth, #1)
  • The Secret Zoo (The Secret Zoo, #1)
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Priscilla the Great (Priscilla the Great #1)
  • Kid vs. Squid
  • The Quest of the Warrior Sheep (The Warrior Sheep, #1)
  • Crossing Over
  • Ghoulish Song (Zombay, #2)
  • The Farwalker’s Quest
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • The Lost Children
  • The Key & The Flame
  • Gustav Gloom and the People Taker (Gustav Gloom, #1)
  • We Are Not Eaten by Yaks
  • Deadweather and Sunrise (The Chronicles of Egg, #1)
Jennifer lives at the base of a very tall mountain in Northern Utah with her husband, three children, and a naughty puppy. She loves the smell of rainy days, hot chocolate, and old books, preferably all at once. She is a former speech teacher, theater director, and enjoyed a brief but disastrous career as a door-to-door pollster. In her spare time, Jennifer tends to panic, wondering what she has f...more
More about Jennifer A. Nielsen...
The False Prince (The Ascendance Trilogy, #1) The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2) The Shadow Throne (The Ascendance Trilogy, #3) Behind Enemy Lines (Infinity Ring, #6) Elliot and the Pixie Plot (Underworld Chronicles #2)