Start by marking “The Specter Key (Bran Hambric, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Specter Key (Bran Hambric, #2)
Preview

The Specter Key (Bran Hambric #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  47 reviews
"Your enemies will do anything to stop you. Your best friend might be dead. And your only hope is your father...a man you've never met-until now."

Who would you trust?
Would you even trust yourself?

Bran Hambric believes that the Farfield Curse is over with. But when he discovers a safe-deposit box in his dead mother's name-in the very bank vault where he was discovered as a
Published October 10th 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Specter Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Specter Key

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareTorment by Lauren KateCrescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick
Gotta have 'em!!! 2010 & 2011 YA Releases!
233rd out of 349 books — 996 voters
Graceling by Kristin CashoreFire by Kristin CashoreEragon by Christopher PaoliniAlanna by Tamora PierceThe Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
YA Second World Fantasy
275th out of 355 books — 478 voters

More lists with this book...

IndyPL Kids Book Blog
Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse began the story of Bran, a boy who doesn’t know a thing about himself. He was found at age 6 locked in a bank vault in the town of Dunce. He has no memory of anything before being discovered in the vault. He’s being raised by the Wilomas family, only because Mr. Wilomas worked at the bank and is forced to obey the “Finders Keepers Law.” If you find it, you have to keep it, even if “it” is a kid.

In Dunce, magic is outlawed. In The Farfield Curse Bram discovered th
Alondra Duenas
This was a really great book it had a the exitment and drama. now i am going to write a little about the book

Bran is and ordanary boy with a crazy imagination, but he has no memory from his past. He lives in a world were thers a curse but no one can stop it. one day Bran discovered a cure for it in his dead mothers deposit box. When he decided to open the box alll these crzy imaginations come running back into his head. He rememebers that there no one in the world that survived this curse and if
Karen
Oct 04, 2010 Karen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I thoroughly enjoyed walking into the creative mind of Kaleb Nation when I flipped open Bran Hambric: The Specter Key. The world he created is colorful and rich in detail. The action was ongoing throughout the book and made me wonder what was going to happen next.

The story begins where Bran Hambric: The Farfield Curse leaves off and jumps in with both feet. Elspeth & Joris share their evil plans by introducing the next challenge Bran will have to endure.

Kaleb Nation created interesting new
Julie
Jan 02, 2011 Julie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bran fans
Here we are at the second Bran Hambric novel. As with the first, I felt that Kaleb Nation had particular strengths and weaknesses. The world-building is nicely done. The town of Dunce, with all its rules and nutty holidays, is fun to read about. The side characters are nicely made as well (especially like Sewey Wilomas, who is a jerk but can be talked out of serving eviction notices to poor widows), but... here is the crux of my problem.

I like the main characters alright (Bran, Astara, Adi, Gary
Aelvana
Bran Hambric is back to his old life after his death-defying encounter with Baslyn. But things are a little different. Rosie is gone. He's aware of his own power, though he tries not to use it. And then the box turns up. The safety deposit box with his mother's name, and its mysterious contents. It doesn't take long for Bran to once again be fighting forces far vaster than he can comprehend, and for a far more dire cause.

The sequel to The Farfield Curse, The Specter Key picks back up with Bran a
Lauren
Review: Bran Hambric: The Specter Key
Author: Kaleb Nation
Author Kaleb Nation seriously ups the ante in the second book in his Bran Hambric series, Bran Hambric: The Specter Key.
While helping Sewey Wilomas clean out the bank vault one day, Bran Hambric and he stumble across an old safe-deposit box with his mother’s name on it. Dusty and long-forgotten, Bran takes it home to try and figure out what it is. Inside is a wooden box, sealed by magic, and though it seemingly can’t be opened, it begins
Kim
Bran is back along with some old friends (Adi, Polland, and Astara), as well as some new ones. The old characters were still fabulous to read about. I savored every scene with Adi, Polland, and Astara because there were new characters for Bran to meet. Let's get into some of those, shall we? Thomas. Um no. He just...no. He's going to have to do a lot of redeeming to make him even remotely appealing to me. Gary was interesting, but I'm on the fence with him. I don't quite know what to do with him ...more
Denae Christine
The humor is awesome. KN is a funny author (and vlogger, and blogger, and speaker), and his ideas are new and just fun.
The magic, though, doesn't seem well thought out. Or, at least, it's not presented as such. Sometimes the mages use wands. Sometimes they have to say words to do magic. Good thing is, I can't point to a part where a mage was in danger and could've used magic and didn't. A lot of authors make that mistake, conveniently "forgetting" that their characters can do magic just to escal
Alisha
I really enjoyed this book. I know that this is the sequel to Bran Hambric: The FarField Curse. I loved the front cover of the book. I loved that the first book was all about Bran learning about who he really was and about his mother, where this one was all about his father but still digs deeper into the story. As Bran tries to find Astara and learns who is father is in the process. In the end he saves Astara and returns home safe and sound. The ending to me was good even though it is left open ...more
Sam
Dec 29, 2010 Sam rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
An excellent followup to "The Farfield Curse" with a lot more character development. Our favorite oddball wizard Bran Hambric comes to find out that his mother left a safe deposit box in her name right in the vault he was found in by Sewey Wilomas. Soon, Astara is kidnapped and Bran is being haunted by the specters- trapped souls who need something from him to move onward. In the mean time, there are a few other mysterious characters who are showing and have an unusual interest in Bran. What is ...more
Joseph
I chose this book because of the Farfield Curse, the other book in the series. The book is about a boy named Bran Hambric who is a mage (magician) whose mom was notorious a criminal because of her misuse of her powers. In the book his friend Astara gets kidnapped by spirits and Bran desperately tries to save her. During his struggles he meets new allies and also finds dangerous enemies. Kaleb Nation's writing style is very creative and keeps throwing new information at you until the very end of ...more
Amy
I really enjoyed this sequel to Bran Hambric The Farfield Curse. I have to admit forgetting quite a bit of the first book, but didn't leave me too confused on the plot of this book. I enjoyed the new characters, but missed having more of Polluck and Adi. My favorite part of this book was seeing how deep of a friendship Bran and Astara share. I will definitely pick up the next book when it comes out. I think this would be a great series for 10 and up boys and girls.
Kathryn
Bran Hambric: the Specter Key is a thrilling novel that shows amazing promise. With its action packed yet humorous plot line, Bran Hambric is a must read for Harry Potter and Percy Jackson fans alike! This is a great book for all age groups, so it is an awesome book for the whole family. Kaleb Nation outdid himself in this amazing sequel, and I hope all "Bran Fans" will agree with me when I say his second novel was even better than his first!
Elizabeth
I liked the storyline, but there were some inconsistencies with how mature Bran is. one line, he'll be quite wise, and in the next, he'll be 14 again. There was still the fast-pace, which I ADORE. I loved every single character, and the "bad guys" were much better in this one. The Specters didn't play as big of a part as I thought they would, but they were still really creeptastic.
Ryan
Yet another book that I picked up (with nothing indicating it is part of a series) only to be annoyed by tons of exposition. Within the first few pages it hits me. This is book two. AAAAGHHH!! Just put the stupid number on the cover so I can look for the first one instead of wasting my time.
Still, it sounded pretty good. Maybe I'll get the first one and see if it's worth it.
Catarina
I really enjoyed this book and I have to say that while with most book series the first usually has a bigger impact, this one I'm actually pretty undecided which one I liked best: the farfield curse or the specter key.
You can definitely see an evolution in the writing and it's a very gripping book from start to finish with an unexpected plot.
Jessica
Kaleb Nation's sequel to The Farfield Curse clearly shows his development as a storyteller. The beginning of the story fetl a little long to me, but it moved much, much quicker than the beginning of his first book. I enjoyed the story enough to hope he will write a third book.
Jb
Mar 04, 2014 Jb added it
really like this series.
will there ever be a third book?
Anthony Giancola
This book entertained me more than the first one did. Now, I loved the first one too I just liked all the new characters and progression of Elspeth as a villain. Gary was especially a cool character and I need his house. I cannot wait until the third book is released.
Matt Hayes
A great sequel. Kaleb Nation has once again spun a great tale that people of all ages will enjoy...especially the people who have just come out of the shadows of the Harry Potter franchise.
A BookNerd
Awsome read. Total recommend. Bran was amazing. Plot was really good,but not so suspensful. I knew hat would happen next. Especially Thomas. But other than that great read. Give it a C-. Nice. :)
Debbie
This was an interesting sequel to the first Bran Hambric book. I am looking forward to reading more books in this series. It will be interesting to see what happens next.
Trina
This sequel was a pleasant improvement over the first book. With all of the characters well-established, the pace was much faster and the story more compelling. A very fun read.
Jompyshy
Bran Hambric and The Specter Key blows the first Bran book ("Bran Hambric and the Farfield Curse") out of the water. Longer review to come soon...
Kari
great follow up book. more serious and there is a bit more development from his character. this seemed a quicker read than the first.
Chelsea
Such a fun read! Kaleb Nation has created a great character in Bran and the world he lives in. I've loved both of the Bran Hambric books!
Erin
Didn't realize this was a sequel until I looked it up because I was confused about plot points. May revisit after reading the first one...
Kristyn Patton
This book was great. I picked it up and couldn't put it down and I already want more! I can't wait to read what comes next!
  • The Prince of Neither Here Nor There
  • The Seer (Truesight, #2)
  • The Faerie Door
  • Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)
  • Myka Finds Her Way (Tales of Pixie Hollow, #17)
  • The Blue Shoe: A Tale of Thievery, Villainy, Sorcery, and Shoes
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Last of the Nephilim (Oracles of Fire, #3)
  • Atlantis: The Antediluvian World
  • The Ever Breath
  • The Monsters of Otherness (Erec Rex, #2)
  • The Door of No Return
  • Knightley Academy (Knightley Academy, #1)
  • Moonkind (Winterling, #3)
  • Three Hainish Novels (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
  • Blue Sea Burning (The Chronicles of Egg #3)
  • Air Keep (Farworld, #3)
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
KALEB NATION is a producer and Internet personality. With the help of an online army known as the Nationeers, his writing and videos have been seen over 50 million times. A black belt in taekwondo, Kaleb lives in California with a cantankerous chinchilla named Chilla.
More about Kaleb Nation...

Bran Hambric (2 books)
  • The Farfield Curse (Bran Hambric, #1)
The Farfield Curse (Bran Hambric, #1) Harken (Harken, #1) Harvest (Harken, #2)