Blank-133x176
10 Minutes Till Bedtime

Peggy Rathmann

10 Minutes Till Bedtime

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  523 ratings  ·  86 reviews
It's almost bedtime At I Hoppin Place the fun begins when a family of hamsters--with ten offspring wearing jerseys numbered from one to ten--arrives at the door. There are only ten minutes left, and there's still so much to do But with the help of the Hamsters' 10-Minute Bedtime Tour (guided by his own per hamster), the little boy is able to get his toys put away, his paja...more
Published (first published September 28th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about 10 Minutes Till Bedtime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 10 Minutes Till Bedtime

Candice
Aug 14, 2011 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This is a super book! With so few words, you might think it would be a quick read, but the pictures are so detailed and hilarious that you'll want to spend a long time on each page. As the boy's father reads the newspaper (turned to the travel section), he announces "10 minutes till bedtime. The boy and his hamster are looking out the window and the hamster announces, "They're coming." "They" are a family of hamsters who have signed up for the "10 Minutes Til Bedtime Tour." All the boy's oblivio...more
Kaethe
1998 December 26

This was a Christmas present from me to Mike the year we were waiting for the Possum. The Spouse had been fond of saying that the hamsters came and threw a party and wrecked the place while he was sleeping, so I gave him a book in which the hamsters came and got into trouble.

***

2001 Jan 13

One of the most beloved picture books we have. I don't know how it came up the other night, but I told the girls why I'd given their father a copy of it. So then Tash wanted to read it again but...more
My family (the bigger and smallest members) enjoys Rathmann's "Goodnight Gorilla" so I picked this up at our local library. At first I wasn't too impressed, but multiple readings have made it a favorite. A kid and his hampster are taking a hampster family on a tour of his house, and hilarity ensues. But what makes it wonderful are the himsical, exquisitely detailed illustrations alongside minimal text. Each time I read it to my 3 year old I see more fun and cuteness (on one of the last pages the...more
Owen Sievers Bramble
As a 12-mo-old little boy, I can't stop looking at all the tiny little hamsters on the pages of this book. My mama didn't think I'd be interested in such small and detailed images, but they fascinate me! The hamsters do such weird things in those ten minutes before bedtime. I just stare and stare, trying to see all the things they're doing. Mama points out what this one and that one is doing, and makes funny noises. This is my favorite book right now! And I don't even know why!
midnightfaerie
Cute pictures, but the story wasn't too engaging. Maybe I read it at the wrong time or there was too much going on it the pictures. It was cute, just not one of our favorites.
Alyn
This book was very easy for my 6 year old to read because there isn't much to read. It's a countdown from 10 so the majority of the words are the same, the only difference is the number. The illustration is fun to look at. My son and I played some games with the pictures. There are 10 hamsters with shirts on and on the shirts are numbers 1-10. We ended up looking for those hamsters. I also had my son tell me stories about what is happening in the pictures and there are always a lot of things hap...more
Adam Bakken
The book 10 Minutes till Bedtime is a tour of a little boy’s usual bedtime schedule. Within the text is a countdown until the boy needs to be in beg. It has little hamsters helping the boy through his routine of cleaning his room, brushing his teeth, helping him throw on his pajamas, and him reading them a book At last, he takes a quick bath and help him into bed, disappearing before the father comes in to kiss the boy good night.
The pictures contained in this book are very hilarious and incre...more
Ardith
This wonderful book has very few words, which makes it all the easier for it to capture your imagination. Peggy Rathmann is also the author of Caldecott Medal winner Officer Buckle and Gloria. The story begins with a father telling his son he has 10 minutes till bedtime. The oblivious man doesn't notice the parade of tourist hamsters coming to visit his house. The hamsters' antics with the boy are adorable. Young children will enjoy trying to find all the hamsters while older ones will catch the...more
Camille Ryckman
10 Minutes till Bedtime by Peggy Rathmann is a seemingly thin read, but this book takes you (like Rathmann's other books - Good Night Gorilla and Officer Buckle and Gloria) into a picture world that overlaps with itself. I would recommend this to any child ages 2 1/2 -8. The story is rollicking from the moment "10 minutes till bed time" is shouted out by the father. We find the hamsters 10 minute bedtime tour is about to commence and from there it is a quick 10 minutes full of bedtime necessitie...more
Suebee
Quite simply one of the most masterful picture books I've ever seen. Why isn't Peggy Rathmann cranking 'em out like Mo Willems? What's she doing nowadays? Her work is unrivaled.

A little boy's hamster entertains tours of vacationing hamsters who do everything from snack on his animal crackers to deep - sea dive in his bathtub. My 2 year old and I love staring at the pictures (and noticing the numbers on the hamsters' shirts - there is always a similar thing happening to each hamster on every page...more
Janna Huyler collins
This is a favorite with my kids. My daughter turns ten tomorrow and she just had me read it to her before bed. The drawings are what keep the kids coming back again and again.
Sheryl Smith
Hilarious! What a pleasure! My whole family loved this treasure, even my sophisticated almost-10 year olds!!

This is one book that would be well worth buying for a home library. We poured over it again and again, searching the pages for the little hamsters.

You see, this is a book about a boy whose dad(?) has given him the 10 minute warning. While dad reads the paper, the little boy's hamster welcomes hamsters from all around. The hamsters pour in and take a tour of the house as the litte boy gets...more
Kathleen
It's an awesome book! Everybody should read it! ~M age 7
Hey, hurry up! It's 10 minutes till bedtime! ~A age 5
Anne
May 30, 2012 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Parents and kids
Recommended to Anne by: A friend gave our oldest "Goodnight Gorilla" when our son was little.
We love this book! It is one of the Rathman trilogy (Goodnight Gorilla and Officer Buckle round it out) that I would feel incomplete without.

My kids love these, and they are actually fun to read over and over. Every time you see something new in the pictures. Well, I do, anyway -- and I like to think I'm at least normally observant, maybe a little better than average.

Watch for the banana! It is in every scene.

The picture-within-a-picture is brilliant. I also like to think of myself as a modera...more
Julie W
I got this in a book order several years ago without knowing what it really was. At first I thought it was cute but didn't really think much of it. Each time my kids get it out I like it more and more. It only has a few words revolving around the count down to bedtime, but there is so much going on in each picture that you can actually spend a long time looking at it. My four year old recently rediscovered it on our book shelf. The characters are so cute and if you are familiar with any of her o...more
Brooke
Cute story. For such a quick read, it has very detailed pictures!
Little Miss and the Legomeister
So this was a strange story, but the kids seemed to like it. It's really told by the illustrations; there's not much to the text besides a countdown to bedtime. But there's so many little details in the illustrations, there's a lot going on if you take the time to look. It's really pretty cute.

But, I can't decide if I should be creeped out by all the tiny voyeuristic hamsters.

And why does he take a bath after he puts his PJs on?

Little Miss said, "That was so, so funny; I loved it. I loved it so...more
Colleen
This is a fantastic book. The more often you read it, the more fun it becomes. The first time I read it to my kids we probably breezed through it in five minutes. With each repeated reading, it took longer and longer to get through it because there is just SO much going on in the illustrations. There is very little text, but the illustrations of those little hamsters (all with their own little personalities) will keep both parents and kids engaged for as long as you want to sit there.

This becam...more
Bethann
This book didn't have many words, but it would be a good book to get children to interact with. The countdown in continuous throughout the book, letting the little boy know how long until bedtime. He gets all ready, and then before he knows it he's in the bath and it's bedtime. I think the hamsters may have gotten him off track while getting ready for bed! Once he hears "bedtime" he hurries along, gets out of the bath and does everything again to get ready for bed. Before too long, he's in bed a...more
Brandi
In this picture book with neat illustrations, younger kids can count along as a boy leads hamsters on a tour of house right before bedtime.
Pat (Get Kids to Read) Tierney
10 Minutes till Bedtime by Peggy Rathmann Puffin Books 1998

10 Minutes till Bedtime by Peggy Rathmann is an amusing bedtime storybook. The book is told with very little words and mostly pictures. It tells of the adventures of a little kid and the Bedtime Hamster tour that goes through his bedroom 10 minutes before he has to go to bed. I think this is a great before bed story and recommend it to both boys and girls ages 2-6.
Becky B
A whole troop of hamsters invades a little boy's bedroom for the "10 Minutes to Bedtime Tour." They watch and sometimes join him in his bedtime activities, while also providing their own entertainment. Eventually the little boy must firmly inform them that it is bedtime so they will end the tour and give him some peace and quiet.

A cute story told mostly with pictures, numbers 1-10 and the words "minutes till bedtime."
Serina
This is an adorable easy read picture book that tells the story of a boy whos has 10 minutes left till bedtime. With the help of his hamster friends, he bathes, gets ready for bed, and reads a story just in time. This would be a great bedtime story for children because they get to see the bedtime routine in a fun way and the illustration will really allow their imaginations to run wild. I would definitely recommend this book.
Emily
If you like Goodnight Gorilla, you'll probably enjoy this book by the same author. It's not a typical storybook, but Goodnight Gorilla's zookeeper and animals have a cameo in this one. :)

Really not my favorite kind of book for bedtime (I like 2 minute books at bedtime, not 10 minute ones), but it was still a cute book with interesting, fun details in all the illustrations.
Kylie Perrine
This is not your average counting book. When you think of a counting book you think of a bunch of numbers and no real story. However, this book is about the 10 minutes before bedtime this little boy has and the adventure 10 hamsters take him on. With the help of the 10 hamsters the boy is able to get everything done in only 10 minutes. The story is really rather silly and fun.
Beth
Apr 28, 2011 Beth rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Recommended to Beth by: found at library
I recognized the illustrator, so I grabbed it at the library. Nate (4 years old) actually wants to go to bed this week, at first because he loved the countdown, but now he sits and studies the illustrations and giggles while noone is looking. There are a gazillion hamsters doing all sorts of funny things and it is showing me Nate's fun sense of humor.
Devin Mclachlan
My twins loved this when they were tiny and they still love it at two, and I'm sure it will remain a favorite. Great little details and jokes hidden in the illustrations -- in the background you can see 'goodnight gorilla' going on; each of the 10 hamster kids has a distinct personality, etc., all of which makes it a joy to read over and over!
Randall
A picture is indeed worth a thousand words here. I can imagine children's eyes lingering over each illustration, seeing something new (and funny) each time. It's almost a bit overwhelming. The tension of the page filling with more and more figures, along with the countdown from 10 to 0, creates a great sense of expectation.
Corine
Given the number of imaginary guinea pigs roaming around our house, getting in all kinds of mischief, the girl absolutely devoured this book -- and then started to act it out every night for a week. Great fun for the child who fancies an invasion of small rodents every night before bed, while Dad remains oblivious.
Heather
5 minutes till bedtime! One minute! I certainly had this book in mind when I bought a document camera to add to our projector for story times...now I can share this book with an audience (it's perfect for the lapsit read as it is!) Finding this book in my early days as a children's librarian was a great treasure.
  • Amos et Boris
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • One Tiny Turtle: Read and Wonder
  • Tom
  • This Is the Way We Go to School: A Book About Children Around the World
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • Salt in His Shoes: Michael Jordan in Pursuit of a Dream
  • Sarah Morton's Day: A Day In The Life Of A Pilgrim Girl
  • The Magic School Bus Inside a Hurricane (The Magic School Bus, #7)
  • Flossie and the Fox
  • Over in the Meadow
  • Click, Clack, Quackity-Quack: An Alphabetical Adventure
  • In November
  • Three Hens and a Peacock
Good Night, Gorilla Officer Buckle & Gloria The Day the Babies Crawled Away Ruby The Copycat Goodnight, Gorilla