Całując ul

Całując ul (Crane's View #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  686 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Desperate for inspiration, a writer revisits a long-forgotten crime
After nine books, three wives, and a massive advance for his as-yet-unwritten next novel, Sam Boyd has run out of ideas. He tries to write but his characters are dull, lifeless. So his thoughts turn to his hometown, and the tragedy he once encountered there. Boyd was fifteen when he found Pauline Ostrova fl...more
Published 1999 by Rebis (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Całując ul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Całując ul

David Stewart
When I first heard of Jonathan Carroll, it was from a blog post a few days ago by Neil Gaiman. He said Carroll was not to be missed, that he was great, etc. etc. I did a little research and saw Carroll's name mentioned alongside names like Murakami. What other proof did I need that I should read the works of this man?

Unfortunately, I was misled. Carroll is no Gaiman, and he is certainly no Murakami. His writing is perhaps a notch about a Harlan Coben or a James Patterson. Kissing the Beehive is...more
Metaphorosis

reviews.metaphorosis.com

Struggling to overcome writer's block, Sam Bayer revisits his hometown, and is inspired to write about a murder he discovered as a child. A mysterious woman and some old friends help him to dig into a widening mystery.

I'm closing in on the conclusion that maybe I don'tlike Jonathan Carroll after all. It's a shame, because I now own a lot of his books. I bought a fair number of them a decade or two back, but my interest gradually waned. I bought a bunch more thi
Fox
Kissing the Beehive is the first of the books in the Crane's View trilogy, the others being The Marriage of Sticks and The Wooden Sea. Unfortunately, I've been reading this books horribly out of order. I read The Wooden Sea first, and I've still not read Marriage of Sticks. Thankfully, they don't need to be read in order, although doing so appears to give Frannie McCabe (the protagonist in the last book) far more dimension.

Kissing the Beehive is much more realistic than most of Jonathan Carroll'...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in July 2003.

Most of Carroll's novels have fantastical elements - spirits, blurred boundaries between fiction and reality, and so on - even if they start out seemingly realist. Kissing the Beehive is an exception to this, and is thus less individual than Carroll's other novels. It lies more within the crime than the fantasy genre, though it has other elements.

The central character and narrator of Kissing the Beehive, Samuel Beyer, is himself a best-selling no...more
Marshall
Absolutely one of his best. I'd have given it six stars if I could. Unlike most of his other books, this one lacks even a whiff of the supernatural, and actually I think it works better than some of them. In many of Carroll's books, he is pondering the big ontological questions: life, death, love, meaning, existence. Here, he pares it down, focusing more on story than philosophy, and it works very, very well. The characters are among the most finely wrought I've ever had the pleasure to meet on...more
Tracey
The main character is a writer who's feeling a bit museless.. until he decides to write about the murder of a hometown girl. He gets in touch with a childhood friend who is now the chief of police in his home town, and is pursued by/falls in love with a borderline obsessive fan of his.

Things are just starting to get interesting in his investigation... apparently someone else (possibly the murderer) is both helping and hindering the investigation, with deadly results.
Natalie
Among other things, the protagonist was such a major league dope that it was hard to care about him. I kept picturing Red from That 70's Show saying, "Bad things happen to you because you're a dumbass." And why were there so many exclamation points? Everyone talks like this! About everything! All the time! Drove me nuts. I was planning on reading the entire trilogy--maybe the next one is better.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
If you've never read a book by Jonathan Carroll I would think this is a good one to start with. Less fantasy elements than others, more of a mystery that's a bit like the old show Twin Peaks, but without 'the owls are not what they seem' and 'black lodge' stuff. I don't know if it's as hard to find as it used to be, my copy is a British edition.
Constance
why do you disappoint me so, jonathan carroll? i really felt that your books were special and beautiful, and then i go to the library and get this trite and misogynistic nonsense. i just checked out white apples. if it's not good, our relationship is over.
Tancredi
Anni fa sono stato in cura da un analista, che mi ha detto di non preoccuparmi, che tutto scorre, che niente dura per sempre. Se oggi non ti va bene, domani sarà diverso. Gli ho riso in faccia, dicendogli che in realtà tutto rimane, ti rimane appiccicato. I grosi scarafaggi dei ricordi e delle perdite ci rimangono attaccati, alcuni morti, molti altri vivi e vegeti, e ronzano e si agitano.

Judy
Feb 04, 2013 Judy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys urban fantasy or a bit of magic in their fiction; lovers of good prose.
This is my second book by Jonathan Carroll. I had to read it right away after reading "The Wooden Sea", which was, for my taste, practically perfect. I should not have been concerned that this book would disappoint. Kissing the Beehive was very different from The Wooden Sea, and yet the author's voice is clearly the same. I enjoy the first person narrator, the odd but enjoyable characters, and the richly detailed happenings. The main difference is that the story does not take the step into fanta...more
Anthony Cardenas
I started off reading this book thinking that I knew what it was about, only to finish it and realize that I had actually no clue as to what I actually read. I thought it was a non-fantasy Jonathan Carroll murder-mystery type of novel, much like Peter Straub's Blue Rose books Mystery and The Throat. As an admirer of Carroll's fantasy work, I have recently been delving into his non-fantasy work with great interest and an open mind. The first of these that i read was After Silence. I won't go into...more
Cathy
I'm about a third of the way through this and underwhelmed. The writing seems very pedestrian, and the protagonist comes across as a creep -- the way he talks about sex and women and his teenage daughter (he can't shut up about how pretty she is and his creepy possessiveness and hostility to her new boyfriend) and how he checked out the bod on the dead girl he found as a teenager is all very icky. Since it's a first-person narrative, I'm holding out a thin hope that this is intentional and that...more
Mason

Quite a good book. Still waiting to see how Marriage of Sticks transitions a solid mystery/thriller novel into the series that becomes The Wooden Sea with its strong magical realism or fantastic realism. The Wooden Sea still remains one of my favorite Carroll books.

Sashko  Liutyj
передбачувано, не надто заплутано, з банальностями, типу листів від убивці, викраденням дочки і старими фотографіями.
за одного персонажа - Вероніку - трійка.
Nicole
Quick, intriguing read. Sam Bayer, a bestselling novelist , is experiencing writers' block and searching for the story to break it. "I started a short story but it was so dreary that even my pen threw up."

The protagonist is very full, full of the mistakes that come from three marriages, full of love for his daughter that shines like a beacon in tough times. Bayer starts seeing a fan, and we know why - "She looked as good going as she did coming." Cliche but makes me laugh to read it.

I like Carr...more
Tragedy Booze
If you'd like to know what I thought of this book, please contact me directly and I'd be happy to discuss it with you.

All the best,

- TB
Simon
Gina
This...was a weird one. I mean, it's Jonathan Carroll so of course it's a weird one. But this one, while amazing as all his books are, wasn't QUITE as great as the bulk of his work. It's obvious that it's an early book of his, and his pacing is a little off. The end is abrupt and not that satisfying. However, it's a good introduction to the Crane's View crew and it's definitely still worth reading.
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Un romanzo piuttosto tiepido, affascinante per certi versi ma anche noioso, e che giunge ad un finale sorprendentemente insipido.

Sorprende, perché è di Jonathan Carroll che stiamo parlando, ed i suoi libri finora hanno avuto dalle quattro stellette in su.

Continua su

Fushigi
A bit disappointed with the ending, to be entirely honest. Still a good book, though, fast-paced, mysterious, engaging. Not sure why but I always really like Carroll's main male characters, there's something interesting and, let's say, manly about them. Not the best of Mr Carroll's books I've read, in my opinion, but I liked it, even though I feel a little underwhelmed.
Cat Hellisen
Eh...this is a hard one for me to rate. I need to think about it some more. I was aiming for a 3, but there are little things in the story that pushed it to 3.5

Tbh, I'm not a fan of crime novels or books about writers in general and this is both those things, so that's going to skew my review negatively. It's certainly not my favourite of his books.
Joni Wagner

This seemed to me to be different than any other Jonathan Carroll book I've read, I kept expecting the fantasy/magic/otherworldly stuff to happen but he fooled me and kept it all in this world. Intriguing characters, mystery, suspense... it's all there baby, I'd definitely recommend this one.

Erich
One of my favorite Carroll stories. Fans know how he tries to spring the vulgar, violent, alien and fantastic on the reader and I think that he is perhaps most successful in this story as so much of it is told in the past with a fondness for those things remembered and cherished.
Pamela
Not bad, but the mystery isn't really mysterious enough. The creepiness isn't creepy enough. The psychological thriller part isn't thrilling enough. Just so-so....one of those books you have to review right after reading or you'll forget about it.
Eustachio
È un giallo normalissimo, nonostante ci sia anche il protagonista de Il mare di legno e faccia parte della trilogia di Crane's View.
Avevo dato per scontato ci fosse qualche elemento surreale, ma anche così è stata una lettura piacevole. Niente di memorabile, comunque.
Mainrun
Sort of remember the story as I read the description so I gave it a three instead of a two. If I don't remember the book even after reading the reviews about it I give it two stars. Most I remember and give a one three four or a five. Sometimes I give
Kylie
I didn't like this one nearly as much as the Wooden Sea. The main character wasn't as compelling and there's nothing surreal in this one--it's a straight up mystery. But it's still interesting enough.
Kathi
I'm ashamed to admit it: but i think, i didn't finish this Carroll-Novel. Being the hero of my late teenage years dear Friend Jonathan didn't cease to disappoint me throughout my twens.
Jen
I love Jonathan Carroll. This is a fairly standard who-dun-it, with a twist. He always has a twist.
  • Morti di carta
  • Smoking Poppy
  • Act of Passion
  • Phantom Lady
  • Buenos Aires Quintet (Pepe Carvalho, #20)
  • Master of the Moor
  • Mygale
  • No Night is Too Long
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • The Snake Stone (Yashim the Eunuch, #2)
  • These Days
Jonathan Carroll (b. 1949) is an award-winning American author of modern fantasy and slipstream novels. His debut book, The Land of Laughs (1980), tells the story of a children’s author whose imagination has left the printed page and begun to influence reality. The book introduced several hallmarks of Carroll’s writing, including talking animals and worlds that straddle the thin line between reali...more
More about Jonathan Carroll...
The Land of Laughs Bones of the Moon (Answered Prayers, #1) The Wooden Sea  (Crane's View, #3) White Apples (Vincent Ettrich, #1) Sleeping in Flame (Answered Prayers, #2)

“Its easy to lose sight of what you want when you think you want everything.” 15 likes