Start by marking “The Song” as Want to Read:
The Song

The Song (Singer Trilogy #2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  244 ratings  ·  14 reviews
The Singer quickly became a favorite of evangelists, pastors, artists, students, teachers and readers of all sorts when it was originally published in 1975. Retelling the story of Christ through an allegorical and poetic narrative of a Singer who's Song could not be silenced; Miller's work reinvigorated Christian literature and offered believers and seekers the world over ...more
Published June 1st 1977 by IVP Books

To ask other readers questions about The Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Song

Tristan
So I thought that The Song was actually a little better than The Singer, but I'm giving it the same rating because three stars is about all I can muster for all but the absolute very best religious work. (See my review of The Singer for why). I thought that the poetry of The Song was about the same or a little better. There weren't as many "wow" moments where I was boggled by the beauty, but there weren't any slogging sections where the poetry seemed to suddenly fall apart either. I definitely t ...more
Matt Lee Sharp
As a reimagining of the Bible, I feel like this series is fascinating as an intellectual exercise but just too weighted down by its reverence for the source material. Kind of difficult to avoid. I wasn't really moved by The Singer like I imagine a Christian might have been. I did find some of its language beautiful, but on the whole I didn't like it. This afternoon I happened upon this sequel (The Song) and because there was nothing else very interesting, decided to give it a read. The mechanics ...more
Dr.
Reading this after many years brings back the memories of the calvacade of images that Miller produces. The final chapters opening stem end - "The day of one's death is a good day to be really alive," speaks to the deep eternal truths for a believer. Highly recommend this trilogy if you can find it today.
Rebecca Mandrillo
I preferred this book to the one that came before, The Singer. I felt like I could better appreciate the author's artistic license.
Billybobjoe
Not quite as powerful and clear in its message as The Singer, but still wonderful! I read it in a few hours and was much encouraged. Recommended to anyone confused about myths being true.
Caleb Jones
The Song is a good book. It was a minor downgrade from The Singer. The Song confused me until the last few chapters because I did not know that it took place before The Singer.
Jim
i just reread this for the first time in twenty years, dropped the stars from 6 to three. much more obtuse than i remember from the first half dozen times i read it.
Carol
I loved The Singer. The Song was a little bit harder to understand and at times I had trouble following what was happening, although I knew where it was going.
Ricardo Tavárez
Not as powerful as the first in the trilogy. Some good imagery, but it seemed to me that it lost its way in some of the metaphors.
Rick
An allegorical retelling of the story of Acts. Enjoyed more than the first one. Its a quick read, but quite thoughtful. Well crafted.
Aidan Ashby
Almost as beautiful as The Singer (1st book of trilogy). Absolutely beautiful poetry.
Beverly
So many good things in this book. Woo for round 2 of the Singer!
Heather
This wasn't as good as THE SINGER, but it was still fantastic!
Joel Blunt
eh....I've read worse. Wouldn't recommend it.
Ariel
Ariel marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2015
Dehosmer
Dehosmer marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Raquel Sotto
Raquel Sotto marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Sophia
Sophia marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
Mikailah
Mikailah marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
  • Jacob the Baker: Gentle Wisdom For a Complicated World
  • The Way
  • Mountains of Spices
  • The Reckoning
  • Something More : In Search of a Deeper Faith
  • Hand Me Another Brick
  • The Man Born to Be King: A Play-Cycle on the Life of Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ
  • Prodigals and Those Who Love Them
  • The Golden Key and Other Stories
  • Greater Health God's Way
  • Interior Freedom
  • The Fight
  • Preparing for Adolescence
  • When Christ Comes
  • The Gates of Neptune (Seven Sleepers, #2)
  • As You Think
  • Trial by Poison: Mary Slessor
  • Encouragement: The Key to Caring

Calvin Miller has written over 40 books of popular theology and inspiration. A former pastor, he is professor of preaching and pastoral ministry at Beeson Divinity School in Birmingham, Alabama. He and his wife, Joyce, have two grown children.
More about Calvin Miller...

Singer Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Singer
  • The Finale
The Singer The Singer Trilogy: The Mythic Retelling of the Story of the New Testament The Finale A Requiem for Love (Symphony Trilogy, #1) Into the Depths of God: Where Eyes See the Invisible, Ears Hear the Inaudible, and Minds Conceive the Inconceivable