Moolah and Moonshine (Petit Morts, #3)

Moolah and Moonshine (Petit Morts #3)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  224 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Rust. Cabbage. A vague sour odor of spoiled milk. No, that's not the smell of the dumpster behind Sweets to the Sweet—it's Emmett Russo's horrible house. Everyone told him a home was a great investment, but the market went bad, he discovered a bunch of hidden problems, and now he owes more on his mortgage than the old Kansas farmhouse is worth.

If that's not bad enough, hi...more
Published February 13th 2010 by JCP Books (first published 2010)

Among the Living by Jordan Castillo PriceWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyWith Caution by J.L. LangleyCamp Hell by Jordan Castillo PriceChange of Heart by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Paranormals
394th out of 614 books — 544 voters
Downtime by Tamara AllenA Token of Time by Ethan DayRinse and Repeat by Amberly SmithTrick of Time by J.L. MerrowThe Druid Stone by Heidi Belleau
Time Travel M/M Books
10th out of 25 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara
Book 3 in the Petit Morts Series- this one is by Jordan Castillo Price.

Emmett Russo has made a bad investment in a broken down house. His best friend is moving to Paris and he's broke. One day he ends up at the counter of Sweets to the Sweet and Chance introduces him to Sam Kowalski, a handyman that was willing to do him a favor. Then things just get strange.

Not my favorite of the series. There were two main reasons, I think. First, and I know it's romance so relationships can develop quickly- b...more
Sath
Emmett's best friend Rosemary is about to move away to a new job in paris. Emmett doesn't want to be left behind, but he can't help it as all his money is tied up in his house. The house is quietly falling apart all over, will cost far too much to fix, and smells like old cabbage.

Then Chance at Sweets to the Sweet, introduces Emmett to Sam, who is big dark and handsome, and 'good with his hands'. Emmett invites Sam over to see what can be done, and the two go down to investigate the basement. An...more
Yvonne
I liked the first story about one man who has sunk all his money into a lemon of a house and then is set up with a handy guy who may be able to help him out. Then there was a dumb twist added which took all the enjoyment out of the story.(view spoiler)...more
Sandra
So... this was kinda wierd. One of the things I like about this series of shorts is the very subtle bit of mystery and magic to Chance's 'match-making'. This story started out great with Emmett's money-pit of a house and the worry and stress to go along with that. The plot seemed to be going in a nice direction (view spoiler), and while I appreciate a good plot twist, it needs to be consistent with the story and...more
Kassa
This short story shows JCP's fabulous imagination and great writing. The ending is somewhat odd with a fantasy twist in the middle but you'll want to read for yourself. The characters are fun and entertaining with an optimistic ending I never saw coming. I didn't necessarily enjoy the fantasy aspect but I think it speaks to the writer's skill to concoct a pretty cool story using it.
Paris
2:0 Jordan Castillo Price is leading so far in this series. Nice little story. No regrets. No turning back. Embrace the adventure. Look ahead. Splendid.
Emmie
Merith
In this new series combining two of my favorite authors (Josh Lanyon and Jordan Castillo Price), I can see so many wonderfully delicious bites of decadence coming from both of them.

I'll admit right off that Jordan's "Moolah and Moonshine" confounded me. Twenty-four hours later, I'm still looking at the story from different angles and maybe that's a good thing. I want to say that it's a very good thing for Emmett and Sam.

The story starts by introducing us to Emmett, a mild-mannered sort who's los...more
Elisa Ramblings
This is probably the strangest in the Petit Morts I read till now (but I have still 2 to read, so maybe it will be not in the end): Chance, the owner of Sweets to the Sweet, is again playing matchmaker, and this time he decides that Emmett, the thirty something lonely man who is loosing his girl best friend to Paris, needs the companionship (friendship, love, or whatever) of Sam, the twenty something handyman; the official reason is that Emmett has a very old and decrepit house that needs mainte...more
Tam
Emmett’s depressed because his best friend is moving to Paris. He decides to buy her chocolate (which will go straight to her ass) and of course meets Sam who is a handyman, just what Emmett needs to help him with his money pit of a house. They are exploring in the basement when they find a hidden room which has an old still. They follow a tunnel and somehow end up in the past during the era of prohibition. That’s all I’ll say about that but I laughed out loud a few times reading this. Emmett wa...more
L-D
The premise behind this series is pretty cute. Chance is some sort of magical man/being and he has a chocolate confectionery called Sweets for the Sweet and seems to be some sort of mystical matchmaker.

Emmett owns a money pit. After buying a house, he sunk all his money into fixing it and hasn't made much progress. Chance links Emmett up with Sam, a local handyman who will help fix his house as a favor. Emmett and Sam return to Emmett's house to assess what needs to be done and then weird and bi...more
Josephine Myles
Strange and sweet - I loved Emmett as a narrator - his cynicism combined with a certain campy charm hooked me in. I was less sure about what Sam saw in him - because the two guys have only just met and then have to deal with a very strange turn of events (no spoilers) they are having to react to what's going on around them more than to each other. It was a little hard to swallow how easily they made their choice to leave things behind, but they did make a cute couple at the end.

Definitely intere...more
A.B. Gayle
I thought this was a perfect little short story. Good balance of characterisation, an interesting premise and enough action and sex to round it off.
With many short stories, I feel that the setup is great, but that's all there is. This one had a good balance between setup and resolution. Sure, there could have been more of all aspects, but we had enough to cover the story that JCP wanted to tell.
Some reviewers were thrown by the twist, but let's face it, the whole Chance and the chocolate shop co...more
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
3.5 stars.

I really enjoyed the pairing of Emmett and Sam, they seemed very suited to each other. I liked how Sam was able to defy every potential permanent damage in Emmett's house, which was a kind of living thing. I must confess though that I was a bit baffled by the direction the story took. Everything began so ordinarily and it suddenly became so out of the ordinary. Both Emmett and Sam were kind of looking for a way to get out of their life and they got what they asked. I wished their desti...more
Lady*M
I always appreciated JCP's imagination and I appreciated it here as well. But, like the first time, the story left me somewhat dissatisfied. I can't really pinpoint the reason: the super quick romance, completely unexpected resolution, especially easy and complete breakup with men's past, or, perhaps, my failure to connect to the characters. I don't really know, but this was my least favorite story among the first ten Petit Morts. But, JCP's "meh" story is still better than the average.
Kaje Harper
Another nice little taste of two guys meeting under the spell of chocolate, and this time finding themselves in the basement of a dilapidated house where things are not quite what they seem. There were twists and turns here I definitely did not see coming. And although the logical part of my brain was a little taken aback by the ending, the romantic in me was more than willing to go along for the ride. This series of stories could become as addictive as good chocolate.
Caliban thegnomedruid
This is probably my least favorite of the Petit Mortis books. It just didn't click for me.

Even though we know Chance and the Chocolate Factory Shop operate outside the realm of "everyday", it's never pulled any of the other protagonists in so deeply before. I think that was a bit of a left-field plot I wasn't expecting, which never sits well with me.

It's still worth a read, and maybe it will play into what we learn about Chance in the final series.
Suzanne
Yes, the relationship happened *very* quickly. Yes, it seemed odd that these two men had no issues leaving the future in the past with few second thoughts. But I *like* science fiction, which along with fantasy is my favorite genre, and I was really happy to have sci-fi happen in the middle of a JCP story. Kewl.
Anne Barwell
I loved this. It packed a lot into a short story, great characters, and then a plot twist I didn't see coming - which incorporated one of my favourite sub genres.

Working through this series, I'm intrigued by the thread connecting them all, the sweet shop and the guy working there - Chance.
Charming
I need to read this one again before I am sure about rating it. It went in such a different direction than I was expecting that I can't decide whether I liked it or not. 3 Stars for now, but it may go up - parts of it were hilarious, and the new direction was pretty interesting.
Megan
I liked the characters and I was holding my breath in anticipation during the first half of the book, but the second half goes somewhere I didn't quite enjoy following. It wasn't unpleasant, just rather rushed after a big shift in story expectations.
Becky
This one was a bit odd. Rarely do I disagree so much with a choice that characters make in a story. Instead of deciding to go on this big adventure, it felt more like they were both running from unhappy situations. Just... not satisfying.
Meggie
Okay this third part was at the beginning really pulling and interesting. I liked both MC's, but come on, the part about finding a door which led in the past, was simply ridiculous.
Blaine
Mar 06, 2011 Blaine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Two men hard on their luck and they find a way to be together and be happy (and have some money), even if they have to say goodbye to the world as they know it.
I loved it!
Logan
The entire line of these are great...I was rec. these by a friend on the site. I was glad I read them. He always sends me the best books.

Thanks D!
Douglas
Time travel, hot guys and a devilsh imp matchmaker. Who could ask for more?
Pia Veleno
Adorable and fun, with a great twist I'd never have expected.
Victoria
Sweet and funny, with a twist.
Sally
3.5 stars. Enjoyable short read.
Emilie
Jan 25, 2011 Emilie added it
Edited this.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • One Less Stiff at the Funeral (Petit Morts #8)
  • Slings and Arrows (Petit Morts #2)
  • Love Ahead: Expect Delays
  • Boystown 2: Three More Nick Nowak Mysteries
  • Quiet Erp
  • Deadly Slumber (Deadly Mystery, #4)
  • An Inner Darkness (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #5)
  • A Forest of Corpses (Geography of Murder, #2)
  • I Dare You (Dare #1)
  • Dudleytown (Cornwall Novellas, #1)
Author and artist Jordan Castillo Price is the owner of JCP Books LLC. Her paranormal thrillers are colored by her time in the midwest, from inner city Chicago, to small town Wisconsin, to liberal Madison.

Jordan is best known as the author of the PsyCop series, an unfolding tale of paranormal mystery and suspense starring Victor Bayne, a gay medium who's plagued by ghostly visitations. Also check...more
More about Jordan Castillo Price...
Among the Living (PsyCop, #1) Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2) Camp Hell (PsyCop, #5) Secrets (PsyCop, #4) GhosTV (PsyCop, #6)