Start by marking “The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #1)

The Rat Brain Fiasco (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys #1)

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
When Cody Mack is called to the principalÕs office yet again, he finds something far worse than detention awaiting him: Splurch Academy, a frightfully sinister boarding school for disobedient children run by a group of monstrous teachers.
Published August 12th 2010 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Rat Brain Fiasco, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rat Brain Fiasco

Carrie Machowski
Nov 06, 2010 Carrie Machowski rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book from Goodreads and I received it on a Wednesday. As it turned out that was the week that my 6 year old Zachary was student of the week at school. He was so excited that he brought the book to class and the teacher read from it for two days. I was not there, of course, but she said that the book went over really well. My son loved the illustrations and thumbed through the book for hours. I personally thought that the story was a great idea, and I loved it. Me and my son ...more
C.nick
Dec 16, 2010 C.nick rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have
This was my first book that I received from Goodreads First Reads and I enjoyed the whole process. I found the book to be like a more masculine, less cosy ‘Araminta Spookie’ by Angie Sage, with shades of Road Dahl’s ‘The Witches’. It was fast paced and engaging, particularly with the visual portions of the story, which draws in spatial thinkers and makes it interactive. My little male family members especially enjoyed it.

I liked the fact that the character’s names were descriptive, like Princi
Brenda
Sep 14, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Reluctant Readers
Recommended to Brenda by: Goodreads
I won this book through the Goodreads First-Reads giveaway program. So, a big "Thank You" to Goodreads, the author and illustrator and the publisher for this book! As soon as the book arrived, my kiddo had already flipped through all the pages, stole the beautiful bookmark and proclaimed “love the detailed drawings of the contraptions." Specifically the one on page 50 which shows a catapult made out of a milk carton, two forks, some sticks and rubber bands. The allure of this book for kids is de ...more
Julia
Aug 11, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing
I smiled or laughed out loud on almost every page of this book! Julie Berry knows how to write about boys and how to make you love the mischievous ones. The amazing illustrations are integrated in the story, not redundant like many children's books. This is a series that kids and parents will love equally. I can't wait for the rest of the books.
Heather
Aug 19, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I love the format, which incorporates graphic novel elements into the text. Unlike some books, the words in these illustrations are not a repetition of the story. In fact, if you don't read the words in the pictures, you will be confused. Also, the story itself was plenty entertaining. I would highly recommend this one for 3rd - 5th grade boys.
Rebecca
Jul 27, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ages 7 through 13
Shelves: fiction
The 5 star status and this review come from my 11 year old son. He states, "I think it was an awesome book and the ending was really unexpected. I liked that Carlos was inventive. I liked how daring and brave Cody was. Anyone who likes comedy and adventure would like this book. I really think it was a very good book."
Ellen Brandt
Jan 21, 2011 Ellen Brandt rated it really liked it
Shelves: older-elementary
The first in a new series targeted primarily to boys in grades 3 and 4. A mix of graphics and text; funny, scary, a little gross; I can see this being a hit at my school!

I met the (local) author at Willow Books. She is delightful and said she'd be happy to come talk to the students.
Stacey
Aug 23, 2010 Stacey rated it really liked it
I wish there was a 4 1/2 star rating! Cause under my new guidelines of 5 stars being only stuff that changes my life and is mind-blowing, I have to stick to the 4 on here, but this was so cute, and funny that I want everyone to read it!

Full review to come soon!
Julie
Jun 22, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
This is the first book in a series of four that I'm writing. My sister, Sally Gardner, is the illustrator. We've had way too much fun working on this. Advance copies will be available soon from Penguin/Grosset & Dunlap, and books go on sale in August.
Tasha
Dec 14, 2010 Tasha rated it really liked it
What a really great book! I love the storyline, the humor and the illustrations! I can totally see this book appealing to young boys. Looking forward to looking throughout the next in the series.
Amy
Jan 09, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
For me, three stars; for the target audience (young elementary-age boys), possibly four or five stars.

Cody Mack is such a troublemaker that his teachers, principal, and even his parents are out of ideas for getting him to behave. The only alternative seems to be to send him to the Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, a boarding school whose headmaster, Dr. Farley, looks suspiciously like a vampire. It turns out, of course, that the headmaster is a vampire with a dastardly plan for the boys in hi
Corinne
Cody Mack isn't exactly a model citizen. In fact, he has made so many "poor" choices at school, that his parents are shipping him off to Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, where he will be under the care of a very suspicious headmaster and by all manner of suspicious teachers. Certainly things can't get any worse than the nasty food and creepy school until Cody uncovers a plot that makes monsters for teachers look like child's play.

After my nine year old read this book in about an hour and lov
Monster
Cody Mack is used to getting into trouble. The principal’s office is his second home. However, as he sits outside the principal’s office while his parents are inside, Cody realizes this visit isn’t like the others. First, this meeting is lasting much longer than most. Second, he’s overhearing words like “remedial neuro-therapies.” When he is finally called into the office, he notices a tall, strange man in the room. The man, Dr. Farley, runs a special school for naughty kids. His parents quite r ...more
Janene
Feb 12, 2016 Janene rated it liked it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Cody Mack is a naughty, trouble-making child who has exasperated his parents and the school system to the breaking point. Reaching that breaking point means it is time for him to be sent to the Splurch Academy for some serious training and reform. What Cody finds there are, of course, other disruptive boys stuck with this nasty fate, but they all seemed resigned to that fact. Monsters for teachers? Is this OK? For Cody Mack, it is not. What he discovers about the academy and what he plans to do ...more
Mar 24, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
The entire series is perfect for elementary/middle grade boys (and girls). My reluctant reader (8yo boy) absolutely loved this entire series and begged for the next one and each of them came out. If you're looking for something fun for your younger crowd, this series is amazing! (My 5yo girl loved these, too!)
Angelic Zaizai
3,5 bintang

Ceritanya lumayan lucu, ilustrasinya juga kocak
Alkisah Cody si anak badung luar biasa harus masuk ke Splurch Academy karena ga ada sekolah yang mau menerimanya
nah sekolah barunya itu agak aneh, murid-murid lain pake seragam garis-garis ala tahanan
apalagi guru-gurunya - termasuk kepala sekolahnya yang misterius
Cody sih udah berusaha lari, tapi gagal
nanti ketahuan apa sebabnya dan siapa sebenarnya guru-guru di splurch academy itu
meskipun agak-agak ga masuk akal, soal transfer otak itu
Eliza
Mar 26, 2014 Eliza rated it it was amazing
Read it and loved and started reading it again mysterious at times and many awesome illustrations. Great for kids starting chapter books. Not scary either
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 07, 2016 Carterkempgmail.Com rated it it was ok
Yecch. I'm not saying some kids won't like this, but the authors shoot for the lowest common denominator. Monsters meet rowdy kids, guess who wins?
Bubacar Ndoye
Jul 18, 2012 Bubacar Ndoye rated it liked it
thebsummary of this book is Cody Mack is a terrible horried child that's so despicable he had to best school their is for dircuptive boys because Cody Mack was so dispicable he had to be sent
to Splurch Academy were no on ever has excaped and because all of students their are dispicable.
Farley the head master vampier made a divise so he can control the students but Cody Mack defats him but with the help of Farleys mom and the other monster/theachers ruled the school . I would recomened this book
Earline
Jul 05, 2016 Earline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up on clearance at HPB. Was pleasantly surprised with the fun writing and amazing illustrations. The story totally sucked me in and I definitely want to check out the other books in this series.
Laura Gardner
Jun 12, 2012 Laura Gardner rated it it was amazing
This book is all things creepy-- kid style. If you give your young son this book to read be sure to have plenty of time to let him get his fill. It's funny and clever and he won't be able to put it down. Not only is the story jam-packed with a comical cast of monstrous teachers, there are also hilarious illustrations that kids at our library can't seem to get enough of. Great for reluctant readers!
Kathy
Aug 22, 2011 Kathy rated it liked it
Will appeal to Diary of a Wimpy Kid fans, w/ the story told graphically in parts. I found it awfully mean-spirited. Perhaps the appeal will be in that boys will be able to say that they're not nearly as bad as that, just like kids can see how badly Greg Heffley behaves. Recommend especially around Halloween beacuse of the vampire, Frankenstein, mummy and other monsters.
Jan 15, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: chi-comedy
A home for disruptive boys run by monsters with an evil scientific scheme. Good for those kids wanting silly humor who are in the next stage passed Capt. Underpants. Maybe good for younger Diary of a Wimpy kids readers also. Has a comic book feel with several drawings as well.
Beth
May 05, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it
Met author Julie Berry at the Albany Children's Book Festival. My son selected this book and we read it together. Our review will be on Tuesday Tales soon.

Meeting Julie Berry:

SPimpernel
Oct 23, 2010 SPimpernel rated it it was amazing
Great story and amazing illustrations make this a terrific buy for reluctant boy readers. All my 4 kids ages 6 to 13 enjoyed it.
Jacquelyn
Nov 13, 2012 Jacquelyn rated it really liked it
I read this series with my son, and we both loved them. Parts will have you laughing out loud. We really enjoy them.
Mery

Aug 30, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kaulin Hardy
Recommended to Jen by: Mikey Nielsen
Shelves: ya-youth, fantasy, fiction
Read this with Mikey; he LOVED it!
YABookBridges
YABookBridges marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
  • Frank Einstein and the Electro-Finger (Frank Einstein, #2)
  • Andrew Lost On the Dog (Andrew Lost #1)
  • Alien on a Rampage (Intergalactic Bed and Breakfast, #2)
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • It Came from Beneath the Bed! (Tales from the House of Bunnicula, #1)
  • The Dragon Prophecy: The Dragonology Chronicles, Volume 4
  • Dracula vs. Grampa at the Monster Truck Spectacular (Wiley & Grampa's Creature Features, #1)
  • Little Comic Shop of Horrors (Give Yourself Goosebumps, #17)
  • Stink and the Midnight Zombie Walk
  • The School Is Alive! (Eerie Elementary #1)
  • Legion of the Dead (Barnaby Grimes, # 3)
  • Night of the Zombie Goldfish (Dr. Roach's Monstrous Stories #1)
  • The Jelly Bean Experiment (Danny's Doodle, #1)
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet, #2)
  • Black Dragon Codex (Dragon Codices, #3)
  • George and the Big Bang
  • Goblins Don't Play Video Games (The Adventures of the Bailey School Kids, #37)

Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys (4 books)
  • Curse of the Bizarro Beetle (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #2)
  • The Colossal Fossil Freakout (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #3)
  • The Trouble with Squids (Splurch Academy for Disruptive Boys, #4)