Start by marking “The Pirate Devlin” as Want to Read:
The Pirate Devlin

The Pirate Devlin (The Pirate Devlin #1)

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  27 reviews
An injured French officer struggles along a desolate stretch of West African coastline, desperate to hold on to his secret. Alas for him, his tale is soon ended, and violently, but a young pirate recruit, Patrick Devlin, who happens to speak fluent French, comes away from their encounter with a new pair of boots and a treasure map. From there the adventures of the pirate D ...more
Published February 1st 2010 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirate Devlin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirate Devlin

Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia ReesThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Pirates!
133rd out of 362 books — 493 voters

More lists with this book...

Melki
"What happened 'twixt you and Lewis, by and by, mate?"

As if in answer, a crack rang out below deck, and Toombs's eyes shot down to the empty belt where Devlin's left-locked pistol used to be.

"I told him it was best not to be fed to the sharks alive."

Devlin tapped his forehead and stepped down to retrieve his pistol.

That's Devlin for you...always thinking of others.

The Dread Pirate Devlin is a right tricky bastard with clever schemes aplenty when it comes to parting the undeserved wealthy from t
Alan
If you are looking for some light escapist fiction this summer, Keating's THE PIRATE DEVLIN may fit the bill.

Keating tells a take that is reportedly based mainly on actual events, but it's not quite historical fiction...at least as far as I could tell. The rise of Devlin from essentially an indentured servant on a British ship to the position of pirate captain makes for a fun story.

The plot moves right along, there are twists and turns, and toward the climax of the tale I found myself wonderin
Tony Thomas
An action packed adventure on the high seas. Full of unsavoury characters, double crosses and plenty of swash and buckle, with a great end twist. This is crying out to be made into a movie. Highly recommended!
Kara Jorges
Patrick Devlin was a lowly manservant until the day his boss’ ship was attacked by pirates and he joined their ranks. Not long after, when his band of new pirate friends attack a French ship, he finds himself in possession of a map that leads to a huge stash of gold. That much gold doesn’t stay secret for long, though, and Devlin and his pirates aren’t the only ones after it. Rumors about Devlin himself also make the rounds, and his head soon seems worth almost as much as the gold to some.

This i
Benjamin Thomas
I love a good adventure novel, especially concerning pirates. Unfortunately, while this one had it's moments I can't rank it among the better ones I've read. I won't sumarize the plot of this one, as others have done a good job at that.

In this novel, Mark Keating has attempted to break into the pirate fiction market by focusing on adventure as well as accuracy. That's a noble undertaking and I appreciate that approach. Unfortunately, he'll need to work a little harder on storytelling in future
Rosemarie Short
Can't really big this novel up enough. When I first started reading I wasn't all that interested; I felt like this was something I'd read before almost, in the same vein as something like Stranger Tides from Tim Powers. But while Stranger Tides left me cold I found myself caught up in the momentum of Pirate Devlin (Fight for Freedom as I know it - English title??) and while I was never a great fan of the main character I found the richness of the side characters and settings (and an admirable pl ...more
Jacey
Alos published as: The Pirate Devlin. Set in 1717, this is a pirate book, hence I was drawn to it on the shelves in Tesco, not my usual bookstore.

The blurb on the front cover tells me that this is, 'Set to be the Sharpe of the high seas,' but sadly Patrick Devlin is no Richard Sharpe. He lacks the gritty panache and rough-hewn romanticism that characterises Richard Sharpe and despite rising surprisingly (but not entirely credibly) to lead a pirate gang in very short-order, he's just not a scrap
Savannah
Jeremy Poole
The Pirate Devlin
By mark Keating

This swashbuckling story that falls somewhere between Treasure Island and the Pirates of the Caribbean. It is a tale of the early years of the 18th century when Blackbeard and other infamous pirates ruled the roost. The story is one of greed and corruption and of how Patrick Devlin rises above this to become a pirate captain with the rare qualities of loyalty and humanity. The plot is invariably the search for stolen gold and immense wealth, one where Devlin manag
Robin Carter
This is my first foray into a pirate novel, and have to say i really enjoyed it, in similar fashion to Julian Stockwin it took me a few chapters to get into the flow of the book but i think that this is due to trying to get your head into the zone of a pirate, to start thinking like a pirate, to become part of their world, i dont think i ever really managed it, but i got closer.

The Pirates are a strange mix of contradictions, honour when it meets their code, yet blood thirsty back stabbing gits
Zoe Blinko
Exempt of mythological leviathans and supernatural elements, here we have a straight forward but historically accurate pirate adventure of one Patrick Devlin. Although at times, due to the huge number of characters in this book, I was getting confused, in the end, all was tied together and left me wanting more.

It is pretty much Devlin vs his former master in this book, with Devlin trying to find treasure unscathed and the former master having to hunt down Devlin. Now onto the next book in the s
Corey Holst
A ripping good pirate yarn to be sure. It had plausible attacks and tactics, no mystical voodoo hooey like recent movies... just good old fashioned cutlass wielding scallywags. I might have given it five stars if the book had resolved all issues before the end, but it is clear that the author plans on continuing his sea saga. I don't mind sequels, I've read several ongoing stories, but each story should have a satisfactory ending. When the inevitablity of a sequel is shoved in your face, it's an ...more
David
The second 'pirate'y book I've read this year - the first being Michael Crichton's "Pirate Latitudes" and, I'm afraid to say, neither of those two books have really impressed me that much.

Despite being sold with the quote 'Set the be the Sharpe of the High Seas', I found 'Fight For Freedom' (previously sold as 'The Pirate Devlin' - not a good sign that they changed the title!) to be harder to get into, and nowhere near as enjoyable, as any of the Sharpe novels: I just couldn't get into this one
Mel
If you take it on face value as an adventure pirate story, then it was great. It was an entertaining read and the characters were likable. However, I found the plot and coincidences to be a bit too far fetched to be completely believable and many of the characters weren't fleshed out enough to make them interesting. In the beginning of the book I found his descriptive actions to be distracting and over the top. Overall, a decent quick read. But not a book that I would pick up again.
Leonardo Etcheto
A great romp, reminded me of the books that I used to read through the night in my teenage years. A very realistic setting for some bombastic action. Truly enjoyed it. A little fanciful in areas, but arrogance has gotten more than one person in trouble and there is nothing worse than underestimating your enemy. Plenty of self – justification by Pirates and Navy men both. Both really following a horrific path.
Great stuff to read about, but a very crappy time to be alive.
Manda
Though there is treasure hunting, sea battling, and enemies to outwit aplenty, the action in this book wasn't as gripping as some others I've read. The dangers are too easily evaded, and the motivations that drive the initially reluctant protagonist are somewhat murky. It's hard to ever really get a bead on him, because it's never really certain just what precisely he wants to accomplish or why he chooses to stay in a life of piracy that in the beginning seems so distasteful to him.
Annette
A rousing pirate tale, with seemingly accurate detail. Full of twists and intrigue.

Truthfully, since I'm not well versed in nautical volcabulary and terminology, I did find myself getting a bit lost in the descriptive narrative, but pushed on because of all the action and well-written verbal sparring. Good stuff, matey! Arrrgh.
Jo
Patrick Devlin is an Irishman serving the French when he's taken by pirates and, in a bid for survival, joins their ranks. I thought a tale of the pirate life would be more exciting and action packed but I found it slow to get going and I couldn't warm to the characters.
Ryan Scott
Overall a fun pirate romp, despite some issues with the writing at times. You can certainly tell it's his first novel but overall it was a pretty solid yarn. A few slow spots and his comma key must be worn out, but no really big complaints.
Jessica
I think the author was hoping Jerry Bruckheimer would read this book, or maybe Mr. Keating was inspired by the original Pirates of the Carribean movie since to me if felt rather like a back story to Captain Jack Sparrow...still, an interesting read.
Ange
The book backcover suggested that Daniel Dafoe an Alexanre Dumas inspired this author. I find no soul-searching and no romance. Written with an eye for a movie script and a sequel to follow. No leading lady will be required.
Kyle
I'm surprised by the low ratings for this book. I wanted a good rip-roaring pirate yarn and that's exactly what I got. Looking forward to the next installment in the series!
Michael Hernandez
Good action. Just enough reality to make you believe the tale. Wasn't a page turner by any means, as I went days without picking it up, but a good enough story nonetheless.
Jessica B
PLEASE WRITE MORE!!! I have been starving for some serious pirate stories and this was perfect! Why can't there be more books like this?
Cody
Read on my nook. Not bad... entertaining if forgettable. I'll probably read the next one in the series.
Gary
A really fun pirate novel!
Les
enjoyable read
Joseph Courchesne
Joseph Courchesne marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Niels
Niels marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Angus Whittaker
Angus Whittaker marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Tenacious (Kydd Sea Adventures, #6)
  • Honour And The Sword (The Chevalier, #1)
  • True Soldier Gentlemen (Napoleonic Wars, #1)
  • Sea Robber (Hector Lynch, #3)
  • The Scarlet Thief (Jack Lark, #1)
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • The Caspian Gates (Warrior of Rome, #4)
  • The Time of Terror (Nathan Peake, #1)
  • Renegade (The Insurrection Trilogy, #2)
  • The Siege (Agent of Rome, #1)
  • Captain of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #2)
Mark Keating is a new author of historical fiction, whose debut novel THE PIRATE DEVLIN was published by Hodder & Stoughton in the UK in February 2010 and by Grand Central Publishing in the US in July 2010. It draws on the wealth of tales from the Golden Age of Caribbean piracy with the emphasis on adventure and accuracy. No monsters, romance or romantic monsters. He was born in Enfield, North ...more
More about Mark Keating...
Hunt for White Gold (The Pirate Devlin, #2) Blood Diamond (The Pirate Devlin, #3) The Pirate Devlin Cross of Fire (The Pirate Devlin, #4) Blood Diamond. Mark Keating