Start by marking “A Diamond in the Desert: Behind the Scenes in the World's Richest City” as Want to Read:
A Diamond in the Desert: Behind the Scenes in the World's Richest City

A Diamond in the Desert: Behind the Scenes in the World's Richest City

3.24 of 5 stars 3.24  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"First published in Great Britain in 2009 by Septre"--T.p. verso.
Published May 1st 2010 by Sceptre (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about A Diamond in the Desert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Diamond in the Desert

Karen
This was a great introduction for me about the City of Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. Jo Tatchell grew up in Abu Dhabi in the 70s and 80s when the country was just starting to grow. Her father managed the British company Spinneys, that served the needs of the oil prospectors. Jo went back to Abu Dhabi when she heard that the government wanted to build a national art museum, like the Guggenheim or the Louvre.

What the author saw astounded her. Abu Dhabi had gone from a small desert town t
Lori
Very interesting look at the history of Abu Dhabi, progress and development, and a peek into the murky enigmatic world of the locals. Writing is smart, clear, and concise and Tatchell presents a balanced view of AD. Part of the interest of the book is recognizing landmarks and familiar situations she writes about. A couple of disturbing stories about bizarre parties and a boating accident, all of which add to the expat feeling of never being able to understand what really goes on here (and maybe ...more
Brenda
If you've ever been to, lived in, are considering living in or simply want to know more about the UAE and more specifically its capital - Abu Dhabi - you must read this book. After spending almost a year in AD, I was both excited and relieved to find a book that mirrored my conflicting sentiments about that place almost exactly. It is definitely a clear and intriguing account of the opposites and hidden agendas / hopes that encapsulates the somewhat deceptive wealth and ambition of Abu Dhabi. I ...more
Kristien
Must read for anyone living in the UAE and wanting to get under the skin of first impression. So much is unsaid or understood (not by the majority of expats though) and then there is this eye opener with its unique perspective of journalist and early resident of the history. So many modern mysteries explained by history, loved it!
Lindsey
Really enjoyed this. A great perspective from someone who spent part of her childhood in Abu Dhabi in the 70's, and has been there on and off since. The book was prompted by all the changes noted during her last trip there, which she made after being absent for about 10 years. Very current, very relevant.
Mary ellen
This book was a decent read if you are interested in the history of Abu Dhabi. Some of the bits are negative, some positive. I learned a great deal from reading about the place I live. It helped me to make sense of many things.
Louise
Jo Tatchell is uniquely qualified to write this book. She not only straddles two cultures, but also two eras in Abu Dhabi. Her father's work brought this British family there in the 1970's and 1980's. In her young years she experienced an Abu Dhabi way of life that had more in common with its culture 1000 years ago than that of today.

The world's thirst for oil has created a wealth and population explosion in this emirate. In the past 40 years the native population has become dwarfed in numbers b
Heather
The author provides a unique view of Abu Dhabi's development from her own perspective, as a Brit having spent many years there growing up while her father managed a major grocery chain, and from that of her family's friends and contacts who remained there. She ties stories from 'early' Abu Dhabi in with the current reality and pace of change. She also tries to predict, having observed this new society spring from quite different historical origins, where it will go next and where it needs to go ...more
Janette
I read this book during a first time trip to Abu Dhabi. I completely enjoyed the story and the storytelling. It enriched my visit immensely with local insights into a city that has both an impressive and bewildering history to my Western ways. The book captures colorful insights into the culture as the author revisits her childhood growing up there. Because of this book, my tourist visits to coastline and desert sands had a depth of appreciation for my surroundings that would otherwise have been ...more
Asmaa
Very engaging, critical and a piece of writing that offers a deep synthesis of the Abu Dhabian hidden contradictory realities.

I bet that Tatchell's personal stand as an English journalist protected her freedom of press and expression. Yet, a local publication of a similar critical tone would never have a chance to circulate around the country, simply because nobody wants to hear the bad news for the sake of maintaining the national brand!

Abu Dhabi is certainly developing, but it is a kind of d
Jaclynn
Very informative but not dry. The author includes so many personal memories and personal touches to the story, it's a history lesson and a bit of a memoir rolled into one. I am going to the UAE for the first time in a few weeks and wanted to learn more about the people, their history and the development of this amazing city. This book provides all that and positive and negative insights from an outsiders perspective.
Christopher J.j.
Excellent book for any Western visit Abu Dhabi. Interesting stories and well-written. Dated in that Abu Dhabi is changing so fast, although, rapid change is a theme to the book.
Rachel
I am slow to read nonfiction, but this book held my attention the entire time. Tatchell has a gift for creating suspense even in a memoir. Of course it helps that I have lived here for many years. It was like reading gossip about old acquaintances. Occasional inaccuracies grated. For example, a burka in the UAE is not a cloth face covering, but a shiny mask that looks like it is made of metal (but is actually a weird paper or leather thing). I'm surprised the author was able to get away with the ...more
Christy
It's a good read for someone living in or coming to live in AD. I wonder if I would have learned more if I had read it when I came, or if I would have just read some of the passages (think panther) and found them impossible. Now having been here, I can see it. Tatchell provides a perspective that most expats simply can't get: she has the history and the family background that lets her speak with the Emiratis. I found it a valuable read thought not really a gripping one.
Melissa Henderson
For anyone who's visited the UAE, this book offers an interesting, first-hand historical perspective of the area before the thriving metropolis and the societal problems that come along with newfound privilege.
George Huner
I learned a lot about Abu Dhabi from this book, a place I was barely aware of before my son and his wife moved there. A place of immense contrast and change. I hope to visit sometime in the next year.
James
Being an expat in Abu Dhabi, I enjoyed this book. It was written from a good point of view as the author lived in Abu Dhabi many years before and returned seeing the changes that had happened.
Joan
A history of Abu Dhabi- a commercialized (and luxurious) city in the Arab Emirates. Jo Tatchell explores the "story behind the headlines," since she lived there.
Ann

A good book on Abu Dhabi. A bit of history and a bit of culture. Some parts seemed a bit far fetched to me but you never know here.
Cyndi
I found this book extremely interesting. It gave another perspective on several questions I've had about the area and it's history.
Karin

When you live in Abu Dhabi it is a really interesting book as you can relate to most of the things in the book.
Paquintosh
Paquintosh marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Richard Gilder
Richard Gilder is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Renee
Renee marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Marci Lowney
Marci Lowney marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Poet of Baghdad: A True Story of Love and Defiance A DIAMOND IN THE DESERT: Behind the Scenes in the World's Richest City