Start by marking “W pustyni i w puszczy” as Want to Read:
W pustyni i w puszczy

W pustyni i w puszczy

3.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,617 Ratings  ·  63 Reviews
Staś Tarkowski i Nel Rawilison to dzieci inżynierów budujących Kanał Sueski w Egipcie, gdzie toczy się akurat "święta wojna" przeciwko kolonizatorom. Dzieci zostają porwane i od tej chwili zaczyna się ich podróż przez Afrykę, podczas której przeżywają przygodę za przygodą, jedną niebezpieczniejszą od drugiej.
280 pages
Published 2003 by Zielona Sowa (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about W pustyni i w puszczy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about W pustyni i w puszczy

⊱ Irena ⊰
Dec 25, 2015 ⊱ Irena ⊰ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, classics
Most classics I've read (at least, those that I haven't reread) have a as far as I remember rating. I see now there are some I should reread because, honestly, some books should be rated higher than my very young self thought. This one could keep its rating. It deserves it.

I don't know if I will ever come back to this book. This was one of my favourites when I was a child. I don't remember many details except that it was very engaging. For some reason one of the most prominent scenes that stuck
May 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found the movie on Netflix last year and then saw it was based on a book. It was written in Polish about 1905 and translated in 1911. It was really gripping and kept me thinking what else is going to happen and how are they going to get out of that situation. I like books like this and Out of Africa that have little conversations in a language I know because I feel like I have an insight that the average reader doesn't know. There were a few parts that didn't use quite the right words in the t ...more
Anatolie
May 05, 2013 Anatolie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dupa "Aventurile lui Tom Sawyer" "De la Port-Said la Mombasa" a fost cartea care mi-a marcat adolescenta. Prima data am citit-o cand aveam 13 ani. Mi-aduc aminte ca am descoperit-o in biblioteca sateasca si am avut o oarecare reticenta in privinta subiectului si a autorului... de ma rog, cum poate un polonez sa scrie despre aventuri in Africa? (Nu stiam eu pe atunci cine este Sienkiewicz :) )
Am citit-o pe nerasuflate si pot sa spun doar ca e ceva EXTRAORDINAR! Talentul de prozator al lui Sienke
La Laith
Feb 07, 2014 La Laith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was 7, I think. And in my head I was Stas. Sometimes Nelle. I loved every page of that book. It was my foremost treasure. I read it like 15 times since then. I still remember a lot of details. Haven`t picked it up for years. I still move it with me when I swap apartments. I was this other worlds, adventure thrill, tomcat girl. I recommend it to all that were tomcats, and all that have little tomcats, for a bedtime read. ...more
Jana
Sep 21, 2015 Jana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, fiction
I had this University professor who was obsessed with this book. He had all major psychological problems, we students had a tendency to develop them as well.

If I had to put it in any category, it would be, college memories. Except that, I don't really like it.

In other circumstances, maybe I would love it. But, not in this life.
Magdalena
Dec 17, 2010 Magdalena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read it when I was 10 and absolutely loved it. Fantastic adventure book not only for children, adults would enjoy it as well. Believe me - it's really engrossing.
Rosy
Apr 07, 2015 Rosy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't stand its racism. I can't bear its kids talking and acting like adults. It's too bad to finish reading.
Staś 14 tuổi và Nel 8 tuổi, nhưng cư xử như các cụ non 24 tuổi và 18 tuổi, có đứa trẻ con nào như thế không? Kể cả là Rémy (Không gia đình) hay Oliver Twist, những đứa bé lang thang đường phố cũng không có cái độ "bá đạo" của 2 đứa công tử tiểu thư này!
Nhưng cái đáng chê nhất là thái độ kỳ thị chủng tộc 1 cách quá quắt của tác giả. Ông ta là người da trắng, nên ông ta nhìn mọi việc dưới
Arminion
Dec 12, 2013 Arminion rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish-it
I had this book on my shelf for a very very long time. My grandmother used to tell me to read this book, it was one of her favorite book for children. But I always found something else to do or read. Until now, 20 years later.
I couldn't finish this book. Right from the first page I knew this book isn't for me. When I heard that 14 year old kid talk like a 34 year old politician I almost fell asleep from boredom. This is a kid's book for God's sake! Why do we keep reading about this political and
Skyeofskynet
Czytając ponownie po latach, stwierdzam, że jakkolwiek pustynna część jeszcze ujdzie, ta w puszczy to ból dupy białego człowieka.
Ella Do
Dec 07, 2014 Ella Do rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Desert and Wilderness" was written by a Polish writer by the name of Henryk Sienkiewicz. It is about two children being kidnapped on their way to visit their fathers, and how brave they are when they fighted back the kidnappers and found their back to their fathers. I rather like the main female character of this story; she was a kind-heart-eight-years-old girl named Nel. Nel is such a wonderful girl, even though she was weak and frail, but she helped Stas (The main male character) a lot throug ...more
artu
Apr 28, 2015 artu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Velika je razlika citati ovu knjigu kao mlad ili odrastao. S obzirom da sam je ja procitala tek kao odrasla ne mogu joj dati vise od 3. Da sam je procitala u osnovnoj skoli sigurno bi mi se drugacije dojmila. Ne kazem da je knjiga losa, prosto i jednostavno iz ove perspektive sve izgleda preterano, nemoguce, glavni lik koji je pun sebe, prepun predrasuda i ponasa se i govori kao da mu je barem 10 godina vise neg sto ima, i devojcica koja je predstavljena kao nemocno i bolesljivo celjade koju on ...more
Agnieszka
Oct 07, 2012 Agnieszka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a classic in Poland and I remembered to love it, when I read it 20 years ago. Now I re-read it and hated it to bits for its rassistic undertones. Considering that it was written 100 years ago, it may explain some of it, but I just couldn't make myself finih it.
Bookeraj
Nov 05, 2010 Bookeraj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it as a child, it was good walk down the Memory Lane (although Stasio is still a Superboy, perfect in every sense).
Jovana
Jan 05, 2012 Jovana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book from childhood and no matter what you think it deserves five stars :-)
Darius
Mar 25, 2014 Darius rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple adventure with a young boy as the hero, surviving and thriving through dangers posed by human enemies and by nature. Though written by the author of "Quo Vadis", it does not try to address any large psychological, social or political theme; so, a high-school kid would probably find it shallow melodrama.

For its genre and audience, it is pretty good. (Aside: The portrayal of non-whites would probably be considered offensive today.)
Jacob B Nimako
Oct 29, 2015 Jacob B Nimako rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely Engaging Story

Am not a good reader and often do not try unheard off authors. Or rather authors I don't know. I started this one with skepticism and been delighted since. Thank Henryk for your insight on the wilderness. It's soo convincing I believe all the different descriptions you gave of the places. I recommend this well written novel to all readers. Thanks again Henryk.
Boyana
Dec 31, 2014 Boyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one awesome book for young children - like 9,10,11,12 years old! Even though, I enjoyed it a lot too!
Madzia
Dec 06, 2014 Madzia rated it it was amazing
Super, fajne zakonczenie. To lepsza ksiazka niz Tomek na tropach Yeti (ciagle zatrzymuje sie we wrzesniu).
Anya
Sep 24, 2014 Anya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nobel Prize novel by Polish Writer, about two friends kidnapped by rebels during Mahdi's rebellion in Sudan.
Petya
Apr 03, 2014 Petya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I`ve read as a child! Every kid should have it on the bookshelf! ...more
Rajna Kersic
Mar 26, 2014 Rajna Kersic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about two young friends who were kidnapped by rebels.
Schejtan Ana
Jan 07, 2015 Schejtan Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
The almost forgotten favourite from my childhood. Epic.
Gosia Kowalska
jak na Sienkiewicza to i tak nieźle
Tamara
Feb 05, 2016 Tamara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful, touching story.
Devero
Dec 20, 2014 Devero rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Da bimbo ce n'era una copia che mi guardava dallo scaffale sopra il letto di mio fratello. La copertina mi affascinava parecchio, ma ricordo che leggerlo fu penoso, pesante, noioso. Impiegai molto per finirlo.
Anna Sochacka
Dec 13, 2011 Anna Sochacka rated it really liked it
I'm really impressed how my 10 years old son likes it. I read the book, when I was at his age and really loved it, but that was in times without computer and Cartoon Network. But he got driven into it and shows really deep emotions about childrens' adventures.
We are listening to audiobook, so maybe it's also good way to show classics to children.
Matic Sket
European boy and a girl living in Africa are kidnapped from their fathers. We are experiencing their journey. A journey full of adventures that involves lions, diseases, killing kidnappers, storms, elephant and dog, slaves, swiss man in bed, living in a tree and abandoned village, desert-mountains-jungle, war, kite flying and a happy end.
Lucy Sisk
Apr 23, 2012 Lucy Sisk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skvělé podání autorovy samotné cestovatelské vášně zasazené do příběhu dvou unesených dětí, kterým se podaří vyklouznout ze zajetí a projít se přes celý kontinent ( tedy skoro ).
Je vidět, že sám autor procestoval kraje a prožil příhody a nemoci, které zde popisuje. To je to, co dělá z nudného díla záživné a poučné.
Ann
Sep 01, 2012 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Children kidnapped, escape and wander around having adventures trying to survive in north Africa. The descriptions of location and tribes are amazing, violent, condescending. It's a time capsule of stuff no longer politically correct. Very well written. Like a bedtime story all grown up. Same guy who wrote Quo Vadis.
Anna
Mar 04, 2009 Anna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Staś Tarkowski and Nel Rawilison are children of engineers building Suez Canal in Egypt, where the saint war against colonisators is going on. Kids are kidnapped and from this their journey through Africa starts. Their adventures are more and more dangerous as for 9-year-old girl and 14-year-old boy. Great read.
Goodreads Librari...: Description in wrong language 3 29 Jun 14, 2015 01:24AM
  • Awantura o Basię
  • Kwiat kalafiora (Jeżycjada, #3)
  • Akademia Pana Kleksa (Pan Kleks #1)
  • Karolcia
  • Ballady i romanse
  • Ten obcy (Ten obcy, #1)
  • Mitologia: wierzenia i podania Greków i Rzymian
  • Chłopi
  • Wedding
  • Kamienie na szaniec
  • Faraon
  • Dziewczyna i chłopak czyli heca na 14 fajerek
  • Sposób na Alcybiadesa
Henryk Adam Aleksander Pius Sienkiewicz (also known as "Litwos"; May 5, 1846–November 15, 1916) was a Polish journalist and Nobel Prize-winning novelist. He was one of the most popular Polish writers at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries, and received the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1905 for his "outstanding merits as an epic writer."

Born into an impoverished gentry family in the Podlasie vi
More about Henryk Sienkiewicz...

“Nevertheless, in this sea of human wretchedness and malice there bloomed at times compassion, as a pale flower blooms in a putrid marsh.” 26 likes
“He always smiles, even when contemplating nothing good.” 15 likes