Start by marking “Brains For Lunch: A Zombie Novel in Haiku?!” as Want to Read:
Brains For Lunch: A Zombie Novel in Haiku?!

Brains For Lunch: A Zombie Novel in Haiku?!

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  37 reviews
The difference being that this middle school novel is written entirely in Haiku. Loeb, its zombie protagonist has a problem: the object of his affection, Siobhan, is a lifer (i.e. human). What to do? In scenes set around a lunch table (the menu: brains) and around the school, eyes roll and jaws drop (literally). Also featured in the cast of characters is Carl, a chupacabra ...more
Published August 17th 2010 by Roaring Brook Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Brains For Lunch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brains For Lunch

October Mourning by Lesléa NewmanNix Minus One by Jill MacLeanNothing by Robin FriedmanSharp Teeth by Toby BarlowBrains For Lunch by K.A. Holt
Verse Novels for Boys
5th out of 39 books — 6 voters
The Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakOld Yeller by Fred GipsonLove You Forever by Robert MunschA Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
Children's Books I Hate
47th out of 59 books — 46 voters

More lists with this book...

Erin Reilly-Sanders
I thought that the idea of this book sounded great and was hoping for a fun quick read. However, I felt that the book was ambitious beyond its abilities and that the format really didn't work to the novel's advantage. At the beginning I had a lot of difficulty figuring out what was going on and who the main characters were because poetry formats in general leave a lot of holes to be filled in by the reader. Perhaps it would have helped had I read the front flap but a book should not depend on it ...more
Mikey T
Loeb is a middle school student. He attends a middle school where zombies, humans (lifers), and chupacabras roam the hallways. With some encouragement from his favorite teacher, Loeb decides to enter the school’s poetry contest. Thing is, no zombie has ever dared enter before. Loeb also becomes interested in a certain female lifer. Will Loeb win this contest and the girl or will he just have her Brains For Lunch?
I will admit that at first I was a little apprehensive about reading this novel.
E. Anderson
BRAINS FOR LUNCH by Austin author K.A. Holt is a zombie novel in haiku. Wait. Yes. You read that correctly. It is the tale of middle-school angst from the perspective of Loeb (teehee, get it?) a “Z” attending middle school alongside “lifers” and “chupos” (if you have yet to discover el chupacabra, let me Wikipedia that for you). Loeb’s story is told in hilariously snarky haiku, in the 5-7-5 style often referred to by haiku aficionados as “senryu.” And how appropriate, as one might imagine a zomb ...more
Sarah BT
When Brains for Lunch came across my desk at the library in my new book stash, I knew I had to check it out. Brains for Lunch is a fun twist on zombies. The book is told entirely in haiku-you see, zombies talk in haiku.

The haiku format is creative and makes for a fun fast read. It's a short book-just under 100 pages-and the short poetry format makes the book go quickly. The haiku format does give the reader a good idea of zombie speak, but at times I wish there was room for just a bit more stor
The Rusty Key
Reviewed by Rusty Key Writer: Jordan B. Nielsen

Recommended for: All the strange poets and zombie lovers in your life, ages 10 and Up.

One Word Summary: Experimental

Zombies in Haiku?
And you’d thought you’d seen it all
Enter K.A. Holt

Loeb is a Zombie
Still a normal teenager
Save for rotting flesh

His school’s pretty weird
The humans are called ‘Lifers’
Zombies are called ‘Zs’

Undertones of racism
Permeate this tale

Poor Loeb h
Luke Cobbs
I did not really like this book for a couple reasons. There wasnt really much of a plot and it was boring. Thats why i would only give this book two stars. But not one star because I can see how it would be hard to write a book with just haikus. What I did like about this book though, was its creativity.

About half way through this book I started to realize that it didnt really have a plot. It was just a bunch of things zombies would do. There wasnt a purpose. Whcih maybe makes sense since it was
Gorski
Brains for Lunch a Zombie Novel in Haiku is a very unique book in the sense that the entire story is told in haiku. Personally I did not enjoy the book that much, in fact I despise it. I suppose that part of the reason that I did not enjoy reading this book is because I don’t like poetry. Three reasons I did not enjoy this book would have to be because it’s short, poor character development, and a stale plot.

Most of the time I don’t have a problem reading a short book, however in this case the b
Tami
The idea of a middle school novel in haiku grabbed by interest as soon as I saw it at the library. Brains For Lunch is, indeed, an interesting undertaking. I think there are moments of real wit and brilliance interspersed throughout the story.

As indicated by the title, the entire book is written in haiku. It revolves around Loeb, a Zombie middle-schooler who attends school with Lifers (humans), other Zombies and Chupacabras (blood-sucking creatures). He struggles with the typical geek/jock tensi
Jeff Richards
Even thought it was interesting that the book was written in Haiku, I still think the book deserves 2 stars. The reasons behind this are that the book was too short, didn’t have much of a plot, and had a boring story line.

The book was too short mainly because Haiku’s in general are really short poems. Each page only had around 4 Haiku poems that didn’t really explain much. The poems really seemed choppy and didn’t transition as well as they could have. Also, everything was briefly explained and
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

In a school where humans, zombies, and chupacabras co-exist, there's never a dull day.

When Loeb meets Siobhan, a lifer (human), she seems interested in him. She, however, thinks that zombies aren't smart. To prove her wrong, he enters a haiku poetry competition. Should be simple, since zombies talk in haiku anyway, right? Wrong.

Loeb's poetic abilities seem to have frozen up. Can he win the competition and get the girl - without eating her brains?

A funny, mi
John Orman
Did not think it was possible to create a readable novel all in haiku, but this book shows it can be done!

This is a tale of middle-school life in which the classmates are zombies and chupacabras.
A zombie student has a crush on a human classmate who he hopes to impress by winning the school's haiku competition.

Brains for lunch again.
"Stop moaning and just eat it."
Lunch lady humor.

Geek table awaits,
Larry brags about fresh flesh.
He is full of lies.

This is my life, huh?
It's the Catcher in the Fly.
La
Janis
A zombie novel in haiku! What could be wrong with that? Plenty. A haiku should be a succinct expression of an idea. Here, it was basically one "haiku" after another, and the parts of each may or may not have fit together. There are cultural references today's teens may not get (a "Back to the Future" reference, for one, in which a character is knocked on the head with a, "What's up, McFly?"). The story really could have played up the zombie factor, but didn't do that, either, other than to have ...more
Jen McConnel
Last month, I met K.A. Holt at the Highlight's Foundation Novels in Verse workshop. She's a great lady with a sharp sense of humor and a quirky personality, and that shines through in her zombie novel-in-verse Brains for Lunch.

Told in Haiku, this is the short, sassy story of Loeb, a depressed zombie at an integrated school. He deals with the scorn of the Lifers every day, not to mention his sometimes disgusting zombie peers. But a pretty girl and a librarian might be just the ones to break Loeb
Line
Great concept, but horrible execution. nasty. The ' seductive' teacher idea is repulsive. not a book for my students.
Hilary
Clever, but ultimately a disappointment. This book was written for a very young audience, and while it was a skilled and interesting task to write a novel in haiku (especially a zombie novel in haiku!), the fact that it was geared for a young audience made the book dull. The main story centers around a zombie boy in middle school, and along with all the middle school boy problems that one would normally find in a book like that, there are also amusingly morbid jokes regarding his school's zombie ...more
Michelle
Such a quick and easy read. It was really intriguing. It was completely written in haiku! It was easy to follow and it had zombies, which I love. The drawings though were weird. Looked like a child drew them and the man character Loeb looked like a monkey at some points. And that is why I only rate this book with a 2.
Kelli Sprowls
Novel in haiku?
There's no way it can be good
It's not good, it's great!
This book is so clever, written entirely in haiku. It manages to tell a story while just being fun to read. I have no complaints except that I want more!

e have no complaints except i want more

Christiane
Loeb goes to a really diverse middle school and tries to impress his love interest with....haiku? Interesting format that may appeal to some young readers, though just because it is short does not mean it is easy to follow the story (but I guess that's the point of haiku: short does not equal simple!).
Natasha
Amusing, different. The technique was clever but happily it wasn't a very long book as it gets a bit old after awhile (for me). I would definitely suggest this to kids in need of a quick read or the reluctant reader or someone who wanted something a bit gross/different/more cerebral than Goosebumps.
Heather
Curious! A title and illustrations that are cool, quirky, and comic like--which might appeal to 3/4 grade readers. But this novel in haiku is solidly written for middle schoolers. It's about a zombie who has a crush on a "lifer" (human). So it's about groups, others, even desegregation. Really!
Middle school for Loeb is everything you expect--bad food, bullies, and girls who confuse you. Only worse, cause he's a zombie.

Told in haiku and with a fun sense of the gross, this quick read will appeal to most older elementary/middle school boys. And anyone who just likes zombies...
- Ny-Oshi";D0ra !
- im reading this bo0k ritee n0w ! its written in stanzas when i first seen it it i thought it was a book about poems because the way it was written !! but anyways its intresting i can barely understand what half the words mean but i still get what its about !!
P.J.
book 49 for 2010. I love the idea of a zombie Haiku novel, and this doesn't disappoint. One of the best things about this book is the wide audience it will appeal to. Highly recommended for boys and girls, third grade and up.
Rebecca
Nov 26, 2010 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Rebecca by: Angie
Fun stuff, great for reluctant readers.

"How original
Popular kid torments geek
Must stifle my yawn

I said that out loud?
Internal monologue fail
Must start shutting mouth"

-p. 61
Joy Kirr
I just didn't really get it. Too many characters, too odd a plot, and I guess zombies aren't for me!

I'd suggest this to anyone who likes zombies, likes haikus, or wants a very short book.
Donalyn
Zombies and live humans never mix at the local high school, until Loeb, a zombie falls for an ivy-haired live girl. Formatted as a haiku novella, this is a clever idea, poorly executed.
Mrs. Nelson's
If your goal is to read more poetry, ease into it with "Brains for Lunch: a Zombie Novel in Haiku" by K.A. Holt. A. Zombie. Novel. In. Haiku. Enough said.
--Review by Lauren
Inge
Feb 18, 2011 Inge rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Boys meets girl, but doesn't eat her. Get it? Because he's a zombie. But she's not. Written all in haikus and super Pun-tastic. I'll be recommending this a bunch.
Samantha
Just when you think you've seen it all, you get a novel written completely in Haiku, based on zombies, none the less. How could I not read it after discovering it?
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Rhyme Schemer Mike Stellar: Nerves of Steel Red Moon Rising Dear Teen Me: Authors Write Letters to Their Teen Selves