Start by marking “Silas and the Winterbottoms: The Body Thief” as Want to Read:
Silas and the Winterbottoms: The Body Thief

Silas and the Winterbottoms: The Body Thief

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  33 reviews
And you thought your family was strange.

"I am dying. . . I might get the chance to know you before death takes me...I would like you to be my guest at Sommerset. . .I have enclosed a check for $ 10,000. . . Should you accept my offer..."

Uncle Silas has always been greedy, evil, insulting, and extremely rich But a dying uncle with a vast fortune is definitely one worth gett
Published August 1st 2010 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silas and the Winterbottoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silas and the Winterbottoms

Gwen the Librarian
This is the story of the three Winterbottom cousins, all strangers to each other, who are summoned to their rich and evil uncle Silas Winterbottom's castle so he can choose an heir. Each one has a reason to dislike the uncle, but each also needs money and must decide their strategy to earn his favor. When a sinister plot begins to unfold, the true nature of each cousin comes to light and all must band together to fight for their very lives! Silly and suspenseful, this is a very appealing read an ...more
Valerie
This was a great mystery! It really drew me into it, wanting to know what happens. That was great for a kid's book. It was a little dark, but that should be apparent by the title. It has death in it! It is obviously going to be a series, and I am very interested to see what will happen next. Still, the book was great as a stand-alone. I can't wait to recommend it to kids at the library, especially ones that enjoyed A Series of Unfortunate Events or kids wanting a change from Hardy Boys/Nancy Dre ...more
Michelle (Michelle&Leslie's Book Picks)
The young Winterbottoms, Adele, Isabella and Milo, are all in need of money. So, when the three receive a letter from their cruel, dying Uncle Silas, they accept the invitation. They each hope to be chosen as the next heir to his vast fortune and beautiful Sommerset estate. However, when the three arrive, they might have just walked into their own grave, finding that Uncle Silas has a threatening pet crocodile and that the estate is on a secluded island where nothing is as it seems.

I very much e
Cindy Hudson
The Winterbottom family is not exactly what you’d call close. Cousins Adele, Isabella and Milo have never even met each other, and the elder Winterbottoms have either died or refuse to see each other. So it’s rather strange when they each receive a letter from their rich Uncle Silas, who claims to be on his deathbed and in search of an heir. He wants each of them to spend some time with him so he can decide who will inherit his estate.

Once the children arrive though, they begin to suspect that S
I love books
Adele Winterbottom è una ragazzina timida che vive in Australia con i suoi genitori; una mattina l'arrivo di una lettera cambierà la sua vita: lo zio Silas, con cui non ha mai avuto contatti, la invita a raggiungerlo nella tenuta nel Somerset per trascorrere un pò di tempo insieme prima della sua dipartita. Inizialmente restia ad accettare l'invito, Adele cederà di fronte alla minaccia di sua madre, una scienziata con qualche rotella fuori posto, di rinchiuderla in una specie di riformatorio.
Isa
Reading Vacation
REVIEW

This middle grade book combines cute and dark with great results. The three cousins are all so different from each other and their bickering is pretty funny. Adele is a bookworm, Milo wants to be a gardener, and Isabella is spoiled rotten. I loved the scene where Isabelle ended up in a pile of horse manure – she deserved it!

The dark side of the story comes into play through old Uncle Silas. He is hatching an evil scheme that the cousins are slowly uncovering. I was surprised by what he had
Betsy
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory meets The Mysterious Benedict Society. If those words are mere gobblety-gook to you and don't mean a thing, don't worry. You can rectify that situation by either reading both of those books, or you can simply opt for perusing The Death (and Further Adventures) of Silas Winterbottom: The Body Thief instead. It has all the disposable child elements of Charlie mixed with the can-do attitude and problem solving of a good Benedict Society. All that's left is to throw ...more
Bri  Ahearn
Shy and book-headed Adele, crafty Isabella, and serious Milo have been gathered by their estranged uncle, Silas, at his secluded Sommerset estate. Silas has summoned the trio with a letter claiming his “dying wish” to know the children and enclosing a check for expenses for $10,000. The cousins first think he’s had a change of heart and maybe wishes to find amongst them an heir. They soon realize their mistake when they meet their ghostly uncle with a fondness for reptiles and scaring children. ...more
Jess - The Tales Compendium
I really enjoyed reading this. Silas is a horrible old man who plays his nephew and nieces off each other using their weaknesses and fears. Milo is a determined boy who is weary of others. Adele is naive and far too trusting but ultimately an intelligent little girl. Isabella is a scheming little miss, selfish and not unlike her Uncle Silas, but she still has a heart hiding inside her.

The story is well structured with enough suspense and mystery to keep you guessing Silas' grand plan and plenty
Krystal Morgan
silas is a cold hearted/rich man whom is very self-centred, his two niece's and nephew were very shocked to recieve a letter from him stating:" i would like you to come stay with me but if you dont want to i have given you some money that you can spend on anything you want". all the children went there . while the children were there they became very curious because there uncle was acting really strange. after a while silas traped the girls in a drain were there are visous and hungry crodiles ar ...more
Lisajrothe
What a interesting family tree! So why is the greedy, insulting Uncle Silas weaving a mysterious plot! Did I forget to mention he's extremely rich? This is a fun page-turner for upper 5th gr to lower 8th gr readers looking for a good mystery.
S.A. Larsen
My official review will be out on my blog on August 23rd. I found this book very intriguing for a target audience of 8 to 12 year olds. It's not all poppy seeds and butterflies. There are a few scenes and concepts which I considered gory for a child of MG age; however, there was nothing that was so over-the-top that I wouldn't allow my own children to read it.

The author does a nice job of introducing us to three distinctly different children (all with a boatload of personal issues) and blending
Rutvi
This is a great book for any 9-13 year old to enjoy. It is full of suspense and secrets with an unexpected ending full of twists.
READ AND ENJOY!!!
Karen
This creepy, twisted, intriguing little book would make a great start to a much larger adventure. Also, I kind of really liked Thorn.
LESLIE THAI
This book was so interesting as well as mysterious. I loved it!
Reader
What's not to love? In this book you have hungry alligators, parents killed by volcanoes, ancient crimes, and crimes against nature itself! Nasty old Silas Winterbottom is about to die and before he does he summons his two nieces and one nephew to his bedside. The children are there so that he can decide which one will receive all his money . . . or so he claims. The kids need to band together to discover the true reason for their visit, and why their uncle is far creepier than they ever expecte ...more
Annie McElfresh
This story had an awesome plot. I loved how the kids where sent to their crotchety uncle Silas's under false pretenses. The author did a great job allowing us to get to know the characters in this novel and the motives behind each one of them to get Silas's money.

I was not expecting the twist on why the kids where there, but it was great and added just the right amount of darkness to this middle-grade story.

If you like mystery with a little sci-fi magic mixed in. This one's for you.
Ailish
Silas and the winterbottoms is a carefully written mystery book about three cousins, Adele, Isabelle and Milo Winterbottom, who visit their dying billionare uncle, Silas. Two of them are hoping for the inheritance, one of them wants revenge. I thought this book was an absolute work of art devoted to keeping you on your toes, forcing you to question every word, every action of every person, as nothing is as it seems.
Jessi
Silas Winterbottom wants to choose an heir. So he sends for each of his siblings children, two girls and a boy. Adele is a nice, if somewhat naive young girl, Isabella is already an accomplished con woman, and Milo is a somewhat shy, very serious boy. But are they really gathered for the purpose Silas has stated? Or is there something more sinister behind his invitation?
Karen Arendt
A humorous and sinister, tale about an uncle who decides to invite his nieces and nephew to his estate to decide who should inherit his vast estate. In reality the uncle has his own diabolical plan to usurp one of the children's body's for his own eternal purposes. Great humor, lots of twists, and a far-fetched plan make this an entertaining read for 4th and 5th graders.
Lydia
It was a new, interesting twist on a story about a will. I have read one where someone faked their death to see how their kids would react, and I have read one where someone just put their kids through a bunch of different tests, but this one was quite unique.
Lorelie
Great concept. Enjoyable. I read it in one afternoon, so it kept my attention. I like the victorian qualities to the story. The characters were interesting. I will read the next book, as I'm sure there will be one... good story.
Susan
This is a great, fun read! It has a truly villainous villain, preposterous situations, a true innocents to empathize with, and a host of other interesting characters as well. Perfect for kids who are just beginning to read chapter books.
Interesting and mildly twisty tale of a very old and infirm man gathering his two nieces and nephew in order to perpetuate even more harm against his family. Fans of Lemony Snicket rejoice! Here is an excellent series to enjoy.
DeeAnn
This is a great, creepy, fun story to read as a family.
Lilian
I got this book for my birthday and when I looked at the cover I thought "oh great. A book for little kids." This book turned out much better than I expected however and was actually quite good.
Sara Truog
Sinister tale of three cousins who vie for the fortune of their dying uncle. Daniel started this one and decided it wasn't for him... I think it would be best for older juveniles (ie. 10 and up).
Book Bazaar
A fun tween read with some fabulously nasty characters to give the Lemony Snickets team a run for their money. Very entertaining with plenty of twists and turns. I look forward to the next book.
Katie Boggs
Good children's book; would make an excellent read-aloud to 4th or 5th grade. Had elements of Dahl, which made it read in a familiarly entertaining way, but was a creative new story.
Sandy
3.5 stars. A little bizarre, but in a good way. A fun, entertaining romp. I might pick up the next book in the series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Kendra Kandlestar and the Box of Whispers
  • Christopher Pepper and the Silver Soda
  • Jesper Jinx (Jesper Jinx,#1)
  • The Wyverns’ Treasure (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #3)
  • The Mourning Emporium (The Undrowned Child, #2)
  • Windblowne
  • Tashi (Tashi, #1)
  • The Winter Letter
  • A Bad Spell in Yurt (Daimbert #1)
  • Storyteller
  • Appley Dapply's Nursery Rhymes (World of Beatrix Potter)
  • Song for a Scarlet Runner
  • Nate Rocks the World (Nate Rocks, #1)
  • Oh So Tiny Bunny
  • The Tilting House
  • The Little Known
  • Hailey Twitch Is Not a Snitch (Hailey Twitch, #1)
  • Clover Twig and the Magical Cottage (Clover Twig, #1)
Stephen M. Giles is 38 and lives near the beach in Sydney. He has worked as a film classifier and a market researcher but these days he spends most of his time wandering around his imagination - which is where he met the Winterbottoms. -- source: http://www.panmacmillan.com.au/displa...
More about Stephen M. Giles...
The Vulture of Sommerset