Start by marking “Anna Is Still Here” as Want to Read:
Anna Is Still Here

Anna Is Still Here

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  128 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Anna, a "hidden child" during World War II, struggles to adjust to freedom and overcome her fears in Holland after the Holocaust. "A compelling book, even stronger than its fine predecessor." -- Kirkus Reviews, pointer
Published April 26th 1993 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Anna Is Still Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna Is Still Here

Wendy
I read this as part of my final project I am doing for Children's Literature, the topic is the Holocaust as presented in Children's Lit. This book falls in the early chapter book area, no pictures, all text but no overly hard words. However, if you let the simple reading level stop you from reading this I think you will be missing out on a powerful story.

Anna lives in Holland. She was in hiding for 3 years during the Nazi occupation. She was alone, except for Kiki, her imaginary friend. She had
Brian

Thirteen year old Anna is facing difficulties in the real world, because she was mentally abused from the war, and hiding from Nazis. She has to recover from all the hard times of being alone to being disrespected as a person. Her father, even has troubles of his own. Her mother and Anna talk about how her father doesn't like pictures of passed away people from the war.

Anna sees this house that scares her, because she thinks the owner is a Nazi. Anna is wrong about this house, and throughout th

Brian
What I Learned:

There are so many people out there with struggles of their own, some cant even help. They cant help that they were born jewish, or whatever makes them different from their haters. No matter what they overcome, there will always be after affects, thoughts, fears, and adjustment troulbes.

My Review:

after the Holocaust

Anna has struggles living the regular life because she hasnt lived one for a while. Kept in a room by herself, voice kept at a whisper.. She doesn't know how to talk l

Patrick
Ripken
This book is about a girl who is in hiding from the Nazis.

I loved when Anna decides to help find Fannie. I also liked how Fannie is found and she was going to be taken to her real mom. I learned that people changed their names when they were in hiding.

The Nazis took away so many things from the Jews during world war 2.
Miss Amanda
** spoiler alert ** gr 5-8

1945 Holland. The war is finally over and Anna is finally reunited with her parents. 13 year old Anna spent 3 years in hiding alone and finds it hard to adjust to being back with her parents, going to school. When she meets Mrs. Neumann, at first she is convinced she is a Nazi. Anna learns that like her Mrs. Neumann was forced to hide during the war. Mrs. Neumann is waiting for word of what happened to her husband Max and her daughter Fannie.

The story focused on the re
Amanda
Trista Serrano
I read this with my daughter. It is a powerful story and we learned so much together. It was just enough information to introduce her to the subject of the Holocaust and she now would like to learn more.
Rebecca
OK, y'all know how I overdosed on Holocaust lit a looong time ago. But I still find poignant the rare stories that focus on how screwed up everyone was AFTER the war, like The Journey Back. These books go beyond the happily ever after of liberation to deal with survivers' trauma and the emotional realities of trying to rebuild broken families. This one is sensitive and right on, though the ending is pure fantasy.
Katie
I remember getting this book at a book fair when I was in the second grade and it is actually one I still own, over a decade later. I remember liking it because it was told from the perspective of a child and so was easier for me to understand the confusion and fear that Anna felt, which in my opinion Vos handled wonderfully. It's a very powerful book that I highly would recommend to anyone with children, or even just adults.
Taylor
anna is still here is about a little girl named anna who came back from hiding from the holocaust. she was separated from her mom and dad. but her mom and dad found her and took her back. she goes to mrs neumanns house all the time. her parents dont like that. anna didnt care. mrs. neumann's daughter frannie and her husband got taken away from the holocaust. she awaited for her daughter for a long time.
I read this in sixth grade. For some reason, in middle school, we had to read about a million books about WWII and the Holocaust. I barely remember what happened in this book except that it was in present tense which I had never really read in a book before.
Moira
The Holocaust is over, but Anna is still haunted by the past. This has a fifth grade reading level, but is a wonderful fictional story of a young girl three years after the Holocaust. The writing style is very odd.
Jamal
This story was about a young girl named anna that has just came out of an attic after having to go through the whole holocaust now she has to get her life back together and live the life of a normal girl
Leslie Moncada
An amazing story, and I enjoyed Anna's point of view on the story. It is simple but contains such a good message and provides an insight on how hard life was during this time.
Joanna Lee
a very heartwarming story :) i read it when i was still in highschool ! definitely a wonderful story :)
Jess
Post Holocaust book, good but it was a sort of sequel and I haven't read the first one yet.
Sharon
Great story about a girl coping after she comes out from hiding from the Nazis.
Lily
good book, had to read it for english class but i actually liked it
Beth
This book was kind hard to understand, but it was pretty good.
Ying Kong
The characters has interesting feelings with eachother.
Jasminemonday
Dec 10, 2007 Jasminemonday added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: my teacher and friends
i learned a lot of of new and intresting things.
Liv
This is the best book I've EVER READ
Skylah
i have the book and i love it
Jacob
It was really great!
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Whitney Carlisle
Whitney Carlisle marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Aurora
Aurora added it
Apr 07, 2015
Mary Bronson
Mary Bronson marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Freedom Crossing
  • The House at Ujazdowskie 16: Jewish Families in Warsaw After the Holocaust
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
The Key Is Lost Hide and Seek Dancing on the Bridge of Avignon Witte Zwanen, Zwarte Zwanen De lachende engel