Start by marking “Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)” as Want to Read:
Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy Mysteries #5)

Oh Danny Boy (Molly Murphy #5)

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,573 Ratings  ·  157 Reviews

In turn-of-the-century New York City, Irish immigrant Molly Murphy is contemplating giving up PI work for something a little less complicated, less exciting. Molly has had quite enough excitement recently, thank you very much. Especially from the handsome but deceptive NYPD captain Daniel Sullivan, whom she'd like to avoid completely. But when Daniel is accused of acceptin
Published March 7th 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published March 6th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Oh Danny Boy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oh Danny Boy

Kathy
Oh Danny Boy is the fifth installment in the Molly Murphy mystery series set in early twentieth century New York City. One of the strongest elements in these books is how Rhys Bowen so clearly ensconces the reader into the time frame of this city full of immigrants. It is the Irish immigrants with whom we gain familiarity most, as Molly is an Irish young woman with all the sauce and temperament of the red-haired Irish lass. She is determined to make her own way in a male-dominated city and profe ...more
Suzanna
Nov 17, 2008 Suzanna rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I didn't enjoy this book. I managed for force myself to read about half of it, and finally gave it up.

In my opinion, this author has little talent. I'm amazed she is so successful -- perhaps I picked a poor example of her work. To me, this read like a second-rate television mystery show; it makes "Murder, She Wrote" look more like "Masterpiece Theatre". The characters are shallow and typey, and similarly the language is canned goods as caviar. The story was predictable.

No good news on this one
Carol
Jan 13, 2015 Carol rated it really liked it
I liked this story. Not always happy with Molly and her decisions in this installment, but overall a decent story. I wonder if any of the new characters will make appearances in future installments. I enjoy reading about NYC and the surrounding area in the late 1800's. I also liked the addition of 2 REAL people into the story - Police Matron Goodwin and Police Commissioner Patridge - even if we didn't know they were real until the postscript at the end of the book. Anxious to read Mystery #6.
Eed99
Mar 19, 2013 Eed99 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think in the series so far this was my favorite mystery Molly has had to solve. Molly is actually trying to solve multiple mysteries and the further she delves into each of them, the more she discovers they are connected.

I enjoyed her various explorations in New York and Coney Island. I also like the fact that Molly seems to be making connections in the police and gangs along the way just through her tenacious nature.

I think the two things that still stand out most are the way the City is bro
Betty
Aug 15, 2015 Betty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
I continue reading Molly Murphy books through my library. I feel the series gets better with each book. In this one Daniel Sullivan is framed and in place in the Tombs. Molly works by herself to help him. All leads to those who might help are close to her. The ending is a surprise. Now on to IN DUBLIN'S FAIR CITY.
Miz Lizzie
May 16, 2009 Miz Lizzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adults
Not quite as strong as the previous Molly Murphy entries, this adventure is both darker and duller with Molly overlooking the obvious villain for far too long in the narrative. Then, again, Molly is a little preoccupied with an unexpected pregnancy and her on-again-off-again beau, Captain Daniel Sullivan, behind bars. A Jack the Ripper-like case is the backbone of the mystery though there are several other red herring cases thrown in as well. Sabella Goodwin, an actual historical character who w ...more
Mary
Dec 31, 2014 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series, look forward to more. Molly is an 17th century would be private investigator and the love of her life is in prison and needs her help. He boldness and wit get her into dangerous situations and with the help of her friends she keeps pushing buttons and asking questions until something pops.
Ed
#5 in the Molly Murphy series. 2007 Macavity Award for Best Historical Novel; Finalist 2007 Barry Award for Best Novel. Molly is an Irish immigrant in turn-of-the-Century NYC. After forcing herself on detective Paddy Riley as an apprentice, Death of Riley (2002), she is attempting to carry on the business after his death. Her not so faithful lover, Police Captain Daniel Sullivan, has been arrested and charged with accepting bribes from one of the notorious gangs and providing them with informati ...more
Kate
Michelle
Dec 29, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this has been my favorite in the series. Molly's former beau, Captain Daniel Sullivan, finds himself wrongly accused of taking bribes and is not only kicked off the police force but imprisoned. As Molly desperately tries to clear his name, she also deals with the repercussions of an unwanted and unexpected pregnancy. This book is definitely darker and more morose than some of the former offerings, but as always the glimpses into turn of the century New York and the hardships of being a w ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 18, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2006
Molly's sometimes boyfriend Daniel is arrested for police corruption, which is crazy despite the evidence against him. Molly, naturally, tries to clear his name. This book is great for characters development of both Molly and Daniel not to mention a great mystery.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Kimberly Ann
Jan 28, 2016 Kimberly Ann rated it really liked it
Shelves: coney-island
Molly Murphy investigates bribery & corruption charges against Police Captain Daniel Sullivan.... To do so she must step on the toes of Daniel's former fiance (her rival), the Police Commissioner, the Mob Boss, Daniel's uninterested attorney, and several other people.

With as much as she has on her plate, Molly is also trying to locate the best friend of Daniel's former fiancee, locate the murderer of prostitutes and young women, and investigate the killing of a racehorse at Coney Island. Not
Anne
honestly, fuck daniel

(view spoiler)
Sian Jones
Sep 27, 2009 Sian Jones rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I learned that I'm very much over the romantic plot of this series. Danny Boy is a ... how do I put this politely? A douche. I'm sorry to use such formal language, but there we are. Is it wrong of me to want Molly to meet a nice friend of Sid and Gus's and settle down?
Katie Sholty
Alternative Title: Daniel the Deceiver Meets Karma

Anyone else want a cat fight between Molly and N (Spell check is really not liking her name, hence, "N".) Or at least a really good catty back and forth? I feel as if N and Molly were a bit too civilized about it.

The plot is a tangled web of murder, a dead horse, prize fights, and missing girls. Molly as per usual bungles her way through the seedier side of New York in effort to free Daniel's name and get him out of the Tombs. What is different
Barb Klein
Mar 14, 2016 Barb Klein rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
The Molly Murphy Mystery series by Rhys Bowen is always a great source of very inviting novels. Ms. Bowen has written fifteen novels in the series as of 2016. I have read eight of them. I always start the novels with the intent of not staying up way past my bedtime to finish these exciting books. I always change my mind. Each new chapter is another exciting episode in the life of Molly Murphy. It’s a good thing she is young, as the city of New York, because she would walk herself to death otherw ...more
Dharia Scarab
It amazes me that one author can write two series that I find blah, and yet I love her Royal Spyness series.

My advice, skip this series and read the Royal Spyness instead. It much more fun and the main character far more like able.

2 stars.
diemmi147
May 04, 2011 diemmi147 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A mutual and passionate encounter with Danile one night, sadly, did no improvement on Molly's opinions about Daniel. She, in fact, was utterly dissappointed by him and determined to have nothing more to do with that despicable, cowardice creature. Thus, she cut short all contact from him. All letters from this Deceiver automatically was sent flying straight into the wastebin. Only that later she found out Daniel was actually in trouble, already deposited into the Tomb and had been trying diligen ...more
Barbara
Aug 31, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it
Okay, Molly is redeeming herself in my eyes. I liked Molly from the beginning, but as I read more in the series, I realized I liked her despite her shortcomings, which were wearing on me. She styles herself as a woman detective, in an era when woman were only mothers or ... and the police force was corrupt and not really respected - though getting there. (Don't even comment on how things haven't really changed in this day and age. I don't even want to go there. People are only human as they say. ...more
Debra
Mar 25, 2009 Debra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Irish immigrant and new P.I. Molly Murphy has a lot on her mind these days. Her former love interest, police officer Daniel Sullivan, is in jail. Daniel’s been accused of taking a bribe from a gang member, organizing a prize fight (banned by the city a year earlier in 1901) and to have tipped off the gang about a police raid, which resulted in an officer’s death. Daniel’s colleagues have turned against him, so his only help is from Molly and a brain-rattled prize fighter.

Molly believes Daniel’s
Spuddie
Sep 13, 2009 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#5 Molly Murphy mystery, set in 1902 New York. Molly is still struggling along as a private detective, but not doing very well. Her two young charges and their father are presently in the country where Bridie is at a camp recovering from the typhoid fever, so although she is grateful that she doesn't have to worry about feeding more mouths when she doesn't have much income, Molly is somewhat at loose ends.

She's been studiously refusing to even open the letters she has been getting from police C
Echo
Oct 01, 2007 Echo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of history and mystery
I had never been a reader of mystery books until I encountered the first Molly Murphy novel. My fascination with Victorian New York and Ireland made the book appeal to me, and Rhys Bowen's wonderful writing style has kept me reading each book since the first one. I enjoyed Oh Danny Boy every bit as much as the others in the series.

Bowen continues to impress with her wonderful depictions of turn of the century New York City, really making the period and city come alive. The plot drew me along an
Teresa in Ohio
I would give the first half of the book 3 stars and the second half five stars. In this installment we find Molly frustrated with city life in the summer and missing her family. She is thinking of leaving her independent life behind and becoming a school teacher in Nebraska. Then she recieves word that Daniel is in serious trouble and needs her help. This is where the fiesty Molly disappears as she rushes to his defense after all he has done to her. She becomes the typical female trying to prove ...more
Liz
Nov 01, 2015 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Molly Murphy and her great independent streak. In Oh Danny Boy, Daniel is arrested and asks Molly for help.

Molly provides the help he wants but does not necessarily want her to go into parts of NYC that she travels too. It is an odd dichotomy that he asks for her help while behind bars and then tells her how she should look for the truth.

This is a great story of the corruption led by Tammany Hall in the police department and how Daniel gets caught in the net.
Thenia
Aug 21, 2014 Thenia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, series, 2014, r-ab
A lot darker than the previous books in the series, this is a turning point for Molly.

Daniel is in serious trouble and Molly is in well over her head trying to help him. To add insult to injury, (view spoiler). I was a little annoyed with her indecision during this part of her adventure, but considering the circumstances I suppose her reactions are understandable.

A couple of new colorful c
Argum
As the title suggests Daniel is somewhat the focus here. He has been arrested for taking bribes and sits in jail for most of the book. Molly is his only hope for getting out, but as usual this involves Molly ignoring his advice and putting herself in quite dangerous situations. I like Molly missed the OConners in this book, but did enjoy her new friend. Did not see the ending coming at all. What a villain!
Rrshively
This is part of the Molly Murphy series. Some of the plot is a little like a 1902 Special Victims' Unit. Molly's friend, Danny, is falsely imprisoned, and she is the only one who seems interested in proving him innocent. Her investigations lead her in several different directions. How could they have anything to do with each other?
Kristin
I like Molly a lot. I also like Bowen's attention to historical detail. But good gods, I am so over Daniel Sullivan, to the point that my dislike of his character interferes with my enjoyment of an otherwise fun read. Am I the only one who secretly was hoping he'd die in jail before she could get him out? Because...that would be okay.
Jeff Dickison
Jul 25, 2014 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good entry in the Molly Murphy series. In this one her stud muffin, Daniel, has been arrested for corruption. While trying to clear him she runs afoul of the East Side Ripper. Molly, as always, manages to save the day. Recommended to early 20th century mysteries.
Erin Lee Arvin
This book takes a darker tack on Molly Murphy's life, and that of the goings-on around Coney Island. I really enjoyed her character development. I was also pleased that Ryan, Sid, and Gus took a backseat, as they were becoming caricatures in the last book. Another great installment in this series!
  • Murder in Little Italy (Gaslight Mystery, #8)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • The Winter of Her Discontent (Rosie Winter, #2)
  • A Fatal Waltz (Lady Emily, #3)
  • Pay the Piper (Pennyfoot Hotel Mystery, #7)
  • Murder in a Mill Town (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #2)
  • Death at Blenheim Palace (Kathryn Ardleigh, #11)
  • The Tale of Applebeck Orchard (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #6)
  • His Majesty's Hope (Maggie Hope Mystery, #3)
202867
"I'm a New York Times bestselling mystery author, winner of both Agatha and Anthony awards for my Molly Murphy mysteries, set in 1902 New York City.

I also write the Agatha-winning Royal Spyness series, about the British royal family in the 1930s. It's lighter, sexier, funnier, wicked satire. It was voted by readers as best mystery series one year.
I am also known for my Constable Evans books, set
More about Rhys Bowen...

Molly Murphy (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Murphy's Law (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #1)
  • Death of Riley (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #2)
  • For the Love of Mike (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #3)
  • In Like Flynn (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #4)
  • In Dublin's Fair City (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #6)
  • Tell Me, Pretty Maiden (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #7)
  • In a Gilded Cage (Molly Murphy, #8)
  • The Last Illusion (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #9)
  • Bless the Bride (Molly Murphy, #10)
  • Hush Now, Don't You Cry  (Molly Murphy, #11)

“Decency League is backed by the most influential” 0 likes