Start by marking “The Ambushed Grand Jury: How the Justice Department Covered Up Government Nuclear Crime: And How We Caught Them Red Handed” as Want to Read:

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  14 ratings  ·  7 reviews
A 1989-1992 grand jury investigation into the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant in Colorado concluded that the Plant had been engaging in illegal plutonium burns that contaminated the area with radioactivity, but the U.S. Justice Department shut down the grand jury and their findings were sealed. Suspecting a cover-up, members of the grand jury initiated a "citizen's inves ...more
Published March 1st 2004 by Apex Press

To ask other readers questions about The Ambushed Grand Jury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ambushed Grand Jury

Lisa
Detailed and documented, this is another good resource about the contamination of Rocky Flats and the surrounding area. What happened is troubling enough, but it's clear that the same flouting of laws and utter disregard for anything other than a profit means many similar conditions exist at other nuclear facilities around the country. It's also something to keep in mind when oil and gas companies lobby for "self-reporting" about fracking. I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that the gove ...more
DLanie
I learned from this book that all is not as it seems within The Department of Energy (Atomic Energy Commission) and its atomic endeavors. I learned that safety practices are ignored, employee safety is last on the list of priority, and cover up in the name of big money bonuses was high on the agenda. I learned that with respect to DOE and the nuclear complex, it's a pretty "small town" - a lot of the same players within the corporations responsible for the contamination and pollution of nuclear ...more
Suz
May 03, 2007 Suz rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: non-fiction readers, government conspiracy theorists
To be honest, I started to read this because we have a copy at work and I needed a book for the bus ride home. It's non-fiction and would probably be rather shocking if I weren't so used to this kind of government cover-up/conspiracy (because of my job).
It's clearly not written by a professional author but by the head of a grand jury for an investigation into Rocky Flats Nuclear Facility, formerly producing plutonium, yet now a national park in Colorado and his attorney.

Funny how that works...
Ann Suellentrop
Important info for all citizens to know...unbelievable scandal and controversy which continues to this day! Wes McKinley, the grand jury foreman, and Ron Lipsky, the FBI agent who led the raid on Rocky Flats, will speak on April 14, 2011, as part of a series of talks put on by the Rocky Mt. Peace & Justice Center, to stop the contaminated area of the former Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant being opened up for recreational use by the public, including children!
I have to clarify why I give this five stars, and it's not because it's a fantastically written book.. But I do think it's a book that should be read.

Based on how many reviews are listed here (a mere 10 here and only 4 on Amazon), not many people are paying attention. I hope that changes.
Dracolibris
Everyone who lives in the Denver metro area should read this book to find out more about how the Rocky Flats area was mismanaged in potential deadly ways and the courageous people who fought for the truth.
Maya
Aug 23, 2007 Maya rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who lives near Denver or any nuclear power plant
This is scary stuff but we all need to know about it before they turn Rocky Flats into a nature preserve for our children to visit on field trips. Please read this book!
Nancy Wolfe
Nancy Wolfe is currently reading it
Jul 29, 2015
Andrew Kaiser
Andrew Kaiser marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Julie
Julie added it
Jun 12, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2013
Jessica Scudder
Jessica Scudder marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2013
Joanna
Joanna marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2012
Jenn Sung
Jenn Sung marked it as to-read
May 27, 2011