Start by marking “Big Kicks” as Want to Read:
Big Kicks

Big Kicks

3.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  79 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Now in paperback— Goal! Kids of all sizes (and soccer abilities) will get a kick out of this humorous tale of high expectations—and the rewards of being yourself.

Biggie Bear lives in a quiet corner of a busy little town. He collects stamps, plays jazz, and enjoys being by himself. One day, the town soccer team knocks on his door, and they need BIG help. Biggie’s never play
Published April 27th 2010 by Candlewick (first published August 12th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Big Kicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Kicks

Cassie
Apr 22, 2009 Cassie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, sports
I read this book and couldn't wait to log onto goodreads so that I could post my review. I loved it! Imagine my dismay when I saw that the book's average rating was only 2.82. What was I missing?!? So, I read the book again. And again. I decided that I wasn't missing anything - I was getting it.

This IS an adorable story about a Biggie Bear filling in for Dog on the soccer team, and even though he's really bad at sports, he accidently helped the team to win. They all celebrate together eating pea
Tracy Morton
Bear accidentally helps win the soccer gme.
Ash
Jan 22, 2014 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This adorable children's book is ridiculously cute and silly. I love that Biggie collects stamps and is just happy being himself. Definitely one I will be purchasing a copy of for my son.
Julie
Jun 16, 2009 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC! There aren't that many entertaining picturebooks about sports for little ones, but this one is great. The only complaint I have with it is the line,"Well, I do look good in red," accompanied by the illustrations that clearly show the color orange. I don't know who was responsible for the error, the illustrator or the printer; but that's a big no-no for picturebooks.
Melanie
A very large, but young bear enjoys his quiet life of stamp collecting and jazz and peanut-butter and banana sandwiches. When the soccer team shows up one day wanting him to join their team because Dog has come down with fleas, Biggie isn't sure. He's never played soccer before. And it definitely isn't easy. But with the help of a rare stamp, Biggies is able to win the game.
The Library Lady
The art looks like the Czech made "Mole" movies I often show at the library, but kids should like that. The soccer theme and the "everyone can be good at something" bit will make this popular.
It doesn't rock my world, but it's a nice ordinary book.
Jamila
I absolutely adore this book and have used it for library storytimes twice. I'm going to buy it for my nephew. Who wouldn't love a bear named Biggie, jazz, stamp collecting, and soccer - all in one delightful book?!
Alison
Cute book about a bear who fills in to help out a soccer team. The rest of the team thinks that he will be good at soccer because he is big. It's a cute friendship book.
Tricia
Biggie Bear is fine on his own...but he is asked to be part of a soccer team because he is BIG. He's not very good...but he saves the day and gains some friends.
Kyla
Mar 19, 2012 Kyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: t-l-306
This book would be good when teaching about sports coming up and seasons. You could also use it when explaining to kids about how size doesn't matter.
Library Quine

The book has a nice premise; big isn't necessarily best. A tale about a football/soccer game and an accidental win.
Bradley
Good morals.. too bad King Cranky cannot enjoy not watching TV. Good grief. =)
Cheryl
Mar 09, 2010 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: otis-favorites
We discovered that today's kids have no idea what a stamp collection is!
Sari
Oct 26, 2011 Sari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 4-year old loves this book!
Tina
Jul 01, 2009 Chelsea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Colorful and cute!
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
Xander
Xander added it
Nov 09, 2015
Amber O'brien-verhulst
Amber O'brien-verhulst marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
OS
OS added it
Sep 24, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2015
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bob Kolar is the author-illustrator of several books, including DO YOU WANT TO PLAY? and RACER DOGS. He also illustrated ALPHAOOPS! THE DAY Z WENT FIRSTby Alethea Kontis. Bob Kolar lives in Kansas City, Missouri.
More about Bob Kolar...