Start by marking “The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena, #1)

The Legend of Lady Ilena (Lady Ilena #1)

Ilena, daughter of Moren and Grenna, has lived in the Vale of Enfert for all of her 15 years, but it is not her true home. Her parents refused to speak about the place they came from or their lineage. After the deaths of both of her parents, her questions remain unanswered. Her father’s final words to her provide the single clue: “Go to Dun Alyn. Find Ryamen.”

Ilena sets ou
Mass Market Paperback, 240 pages
Published May 6th 2009 by Laurel Leaf (first published February 12th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Legend of Lady Ilena, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Legend of Lady Ilena

Karen Lofgren
Apr 08, 2014 Karen Lofgren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books I read as a kid and recently reread to see if it still held up.

Short story: It did.

Long story:

The Legend of Lady Ilena is historical fiction and takes place in Scotland during the time of King Arthur. It tells the story of Ilena, a young woman brought up in the Vale of Enfort in the East, who, upon the death of her father and hearing his dying words, chooses to journey West to seek out the answers to who she really is.

This book does not disappoint, and while it is a mi
Aelvana
Jun 07, 2016 Aelvana rated it liked it
Ilena has lived in the Vale of Enfert her whole life, but she knows it isn't really where she belongs. Her parents, Moren and Grenna, came from somewhere else, and with the both of them now dead, she decides to go after her elusive heritage. But the truth threatens those who seek power, and they will go to any lengths to stop her . . .

Entirely by coincidence, I find myself reading yet another historical novel set in early British/Scottish history (approximately AD 500s). This time, Ilena is the
Danielle
Nov 29, 2009 Danielle rated it it was amazing
The Legend of Lady Ilena by Patricia Malone is an exciting, action packed book. Its epic battle scenes thrill the mind, while vivid descriptions truly complete an unforgettable experience. You will want to read more and more. This book is great for getting lost in a world filled with tribal warfare and heroic people.

The main character is a warrior named Ilena. She grew up learning the skills required to be a great and mighty fighter. Ilena is the daughter of Moren and Grenna. Her family lives
Edith Dominguez
Dec 09, 2013 Edith Dominguez rated it really liked it
In the book of “The Legend of Lady Ilena” by Patricia Malone, Lady Ilena is a young but confident woman, whose past is mystery. The main character is a warrior named Ilena. She grew up learning the skills required to be a great fighter. Ilena is the daughter of Moren and Grenna. Her family lives in the Vale of Enfert in Scotland during 500 C.E. Ilena knows that she is not from there, but there parents refuse to tell her where her where they are originally from, or about her ancestors. After the ...more
Lady Knight
This is an great teen read! It's got danger and action in spades, a coming-of-age storyline and dashes of romance. How can one not love that? A favorite of mine that I've read a few times now.

Ilena has grown up thinking she was the daughter of Moren and Grenna, strangers to the Vale of Enfert who arrived a few days after Ilena's birth. The people accepted them and took them into the community. Now as Moren lays dying, he tells Ilena to head East to Dun Alyn and to find her destiny there. Ilena
Renee
Dec 15, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it
This is a top quality first novel, and if it weren't my follow-up to In the name of the Wind, I may well have given it five stars. It was certainly good enough for me to want to buy my own copy one day (rather than the somewhat questionably worn library copy I ended up with).

Ilena is a strong main character, and it is really easy to see that Malone did quite a bit of research on the era - not only regarding the political upheaval of the time, but also daily rituals, customs, garb, and food. She
Megc
Dec 08, 2011 Megc rated it it was amazing
Hungry for more medieval times finished with King Arthur. Then the Legend of Lady Ilena by Patricia Malone (Publisher: Delacorte Press) is for you. Only $4.99 new! This book is illustrated by Tristan Elwell, copy-right date February 2002.
Ilena has always lived in the Vale of Enfert, but has never known her lineage because her family is from the East. When she goes to the one place her dying father told her to people start to mistake her for their lost Lady Miquain, enemies awake. Set in Britain
Janice (Janicu)
Jun 24, 2008 Janice (Janicu) rated it it was ok
A young adult book about an independent young girl who sets off by herself after the death of her father to find out who she really is. The story was a very straightforward adventure and probably would be good for preteens. Ilena is unusual in that she is trained with weapons and warfare. A good book to learn some interesting facts about the time period such as Druid beliefs and inheritance through the female line. Fast read.
Abby
Jul 28, 2011 Abby rated it it was amazing
i saw this book at the library and picked it up just because i needed a book to read. i stuck it towards the end of my book pile to read later. as soon as i started reading it though, i was captured and couldnt put it down. the suspense is incredible and its one of very few books i was unable to predict. for anyone who likes stories from the dark ages and the movie king arthur, this is a MUST READ!
Jenny
Jul 02, 2011 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, teen-2010
Ilena knew she was an outsider from the Vale of Enfert, even though she's lived there her whole life. With her father's last words to her to guide her, Ilena sets out to find distand Dun Alyn to find her destiny. With the help of new friends, including King Arthur's man Durrant, Ilena discovers she is the heir of Dun Alyn and must free them from the evil druid Ogern.
Becky
Meg
Feb 26, 2014 Meg rated it it was amazing
My favorite fantasy book from childhood. Until this past Christmas, I had owned the book since I was fourteen. I gave it mathom-style to a younger girl in my neighborhood, now about fourteen herself, who wrote me a thank you note including the sentiment: "I couldn't put it down! I red it through twice!" This is a truly spectacular book!
Mary-Beth
Dec 15, 2007 Mary-Beth rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This is more like it. Lady Ilena is a young, but confident woman, whose past is shrouded in mystery. All she knows is her father's dying request that she look for relatives at Dun Alyn. I like that Ilena is far from helpless due to her training as a warrior and I admire her independent spirit and her courage.
Kara
Oct 02, 2012 Kara rated it it was ok
Shelves: king-arthur

M'eh. Skimmed. It was trying to be too many things at once - historical fiction, fantasy, King Arthur story, Dark Ages story, mystery, secret princess, blah, blah, blah. It never draws you in - too much stiffness from the characters and not enough setting, like an 8th grade production of Our Town.
Lula
Jul 21, 2015 Lula rated it liked it
I liked this book. I didn't love it, and it won't be a new favorite, but it wasn't a bad read. The writing is probably what bugged me the most. It was stilted, and too formal. I understand that people spoke very formally back then, but it just seemed flat. I couldn't relate to Ilena in any way, so that was disappointing. Not a bad book, It just could've used better character development.
Debbie
Oct 10, 2011 Debbie rated it liked it
This book was sorely lacking in depth. The story itself was fine, it just felt like it was someone's notes rather than the actual story. I would have loved to have had more details on characters, a more prolonged ending, a more realistic ending battle, etc. But worth reading I suppose.
Patricia
Jun 20, 2011 Patricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story of an orphaned girl whose father's last words were to return to Dun Aryn, a place she'd never been. I primarily liked the story. This one is probably about 3-1/2 stars. It is a small book--a fast read.
Keri
Dec 16, 2013 Keri rated it it was amazing
I read this in middle school, but I remember not being able to put it down. Just the right level of adventure, intrigue, and romance for juvenile fiction. Hoping to re-read again soon to see what I think of it today!
Julie
Jun 12, 2008 Julie rated it it was ok
Recommended to Julie by: a teen at my library
Shelves: young-adult
This book was okay. It's historical fiction set in Brittain in the middle ages. It was a good story about the lady Ilena and her adventures as she finds out her true past. But the writing style didn't capture me.
Becky
Jul 19, 2013 Becky rated it liked it
I think this book has potential to be a really good book. It felt more like a rough draft being told in the first person. It was flat and you felt you really didn't know the characters. Still, it was hard to put down so instead of a 2.5 it gets a 3.
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
for YA fans of dark ages british history

readalikes for adults: The Dark Mirror (The Bridei Chronicles, #1) (but with magic elements)
Kathryn Thies (Bookwise)
I loved this book. I still cannot believe that the book I randomly picked out turned out to be Christian, if not partially.
For some reason I've always loved the case-of-mistaken-identity revelation in books. This was amazing- period.
Anneke
Jan 07, 2009 Anneke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Patricia Malone's first book, and it's way good! It's got the basic elements of a good adventure, and it's easy to relate to. And it should be believable, because it's Historical Fiction. A neat way to read Arthurian history, though!
Gracie
Mar 21, 2011 Gracie rated it liked it
While it was really able to predict the "twist" in this story it was still very well written and researched. This is a really great book for anyone who likes historical fiction and/or the dark ages. An enjoyable read overall.
Alyssa
Dec 26, 2014 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Chosen School reading
Zia
Mar 16, 2009 Zia rated it really liked it
This is graet book it makes u wish the auther rote a secwale
Ariel
Jul 26, 2015 Ariel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as a child, so when I saw it on Amazon, I decided to give it another read. It was good, but not as good as I remembered...
Heather
Jan 29, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
Grade: A
Terri Pray
Dec 26, 2011 Terri Pray rated it did not like it
Could not get into the voice of this one at all!
Smartyjonesgirl
May 27, 2008 Smartyjonesgirl rated it it was amazing
this was a good book. i had no idea what to expect and i like how it turned out in the end
  • Far Traveler
  • Blaze of Silver (The de Granville Trilogy, #3)
  • Anna of Byzantium
  • Pagan's Scribe (Pagan Chronicles, #4)
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • The Shield Ring
  • The Smuggler's Treasure (American Girl History Mysteries, #1)
  • Promise Breaker
  • Red Hugh: Prince of Donegal
  • The Borrowed House
  • Legend of the Emerald Rose
  • Viking Warrior (The Strongbow Saga, #1)
  • Cécile: Gates of Gold (Girls of Many Lands)
  • Quest for a Maid
  • Here Lies Arthur
  • Joseph
  • Leyla: The Black Tulip (Girls of Many Lands)
  • The Sunbird (The Lion Hunters, #3)
Born in 1932, Patricia Malone is a former teacher who began a second career as a children's author with her debut novel, The Legend of Lady Ilena.
More about Patricia Malone...

Lady Ilena (2 books)
  • Way of the Warrior (Lady Ilena, #2)