Start by marking “Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)” as Want to Read:
Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)

Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing #7)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  5,304 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Wraith Squadron: they are the Rebel Alliance's ultimate strike force. Sleek, swift, and deadly, they are the first in battle, the last line of defense. Now they must find and destroy a wily enemy more powerful than the Empire itself.

Their covert mission has been a success. The enemy has been vanquished. Or so they thought. The Super Star Destroyer Iron Fist somehow escaped
Published February 1999 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Solo Command, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Solo Command

Path of Destruction by Drew KarpyshynHeir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoRule of Two by Drew KarpyshynDynasty of Evil by Drew Karpyshyn
Best Star Wars Books
121st out of 320 books — 888 voters
Heir to the Empire by Timothy ZahnDark Force Rising by Timothy ZahnThe Last Command by Timothy ZahnDarth Plagueis by James LucenoStar Wars, Episode IV by George Lucas
Star Wars Novels
66th out of 177 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Tom Ferratt
X-Wing - Solo Command: This is not the finale you're looking for

I admit to being a little disappointed in Solo Command - but merely in the sense of it not truly resolving anything. This is meant to be the finale to the Wraiths vs Zsinj saga. To that end, it builds up beautifully - with the same intrigue and adventure that we've come to expect in this series. The final showdown at the novel's climax is a great read, but the ending just leaves you wanting more closure. The fact that the true endin
Ron
A solid four, if not, more. A rousing story, well told. He actually involved iconic SW character in his story, not just as walk-on cameos.

Allston not only brings his trilogy to a satisfying conclusion, but bridges the gap between books written before his own series.

The Millennium Falsehood was a nice touch.
Arlene Kellas
So much is going on in this book. The characters are evolving to a point where they could almost each their own books devoted to them. Although this book had much more Han Solo in it than most the others, I really wanted more of our newest characters.

However, I guess that is what has to happen. Now that the Wraiths are a solid group and proven squadron, it's time to focus on Zsinj. We actually get to see more from General Han Solo and get into his battle with Zsinj. And what a battle it is. The
Jacob
You know, it’s hard to remember a year where I read fifteen books cover-to-cover let alone a time when I’ve done so in four months time. At this rate I’ll have read sixty novels by the end of the year. That’s not the entirety of the expanded universe but it’s gettig there. By my calculations I should be able to get through the New Jedi Order series by December.

But today I’m finishing up the main chunk of the X-Wing series, with Solo Command, which I will say is a step up from the previous book b
Crystal Starr Light
“Zsinj…kiss my Wookiee!”
The Wraiths grow ever closer to destroying Warlord Zsinj’s diabolical reign of terror. But when it appears Twi’Leks and other species are sabotaging the inner workings of the New Republic, the Wraiths realize this could mean the end of the New Republic. So Han Solo, the Rogues, and the Wraiths team up to figure out what is wrong…and how to send Zsinj back from where he came.

I Liked:
I really enjoyed how Allston pulled out Han and Chewie and tied them into the Wraith’s ques
Daniel
Solo Command is another great entry in the X-Wing series. Once again we follow Wraith Squadron as they run amok around the galaxy, solving problems with crazy ideas and inducing me to laugh out loud regularly.

The characters are the star of the show again, this time Myn Donos and Lara Notsil as the mains. Both work well, each having distinct personalities from the rest of the previous main characters. Wedge has some fantastic, hilarious, and touching moments as well, dealing with Donos's issues,
L.
"Solo Command" is quite possibly the best of the three Wraith novels and is as good as some of the Rogue books. It still features a rather large amount of humor and jokes and pranks with the Wraith pilots, but features a faster moving plot that actually seems to be going somewhere. The previous two Wraith books didn't really seem to advance any sort of storyline. Something else that I liked here was that the Rogue Squadron was included on the main mission here, so there was intermingling between ...more
Michael
For the past few months, I have been reading all of the X-wing novels, plus I Jedi since it's spiritually in the same series. I recall enjoying Solo Command when I first read it many moons ago, but I must admit that it did not hold up to a re-reading that well. Most of my qualms with Solo Command are the same as with Aaron Allston's other X-wing novels: the characters and their situations are melodramatic to the point of farce, and I don't really feel strongly about any of them. I also think th ...more
Ian Miller
When people ask me what my favorite Star Wars book is, I usually say either Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn, or Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston.

But sometimes, I say Solo Command.

It's tricky, naming this as a favorite. It's the third in a trilogy, seventh in a series, and greatly dependent on all that has come before for its emotional impact.

But that emotional impact is so heavy, and so satisfying, that some days, I just don't care.

It's my favorite on those days. The slow thawing of
David
Released pre Episode I, the Star Wars: X-Wing books are, I believe, amongst the first EU ('Extended Universe') novels that do not focus on the main protaganists of the films as their central characters, taking instead LucasArts X-Wing/TIE fighter games of the 90s (as an aside - somebody really REALLY needs to re-make those for modern machines) as their inspiration.

This is the 7th book in the X-Wing series, and the 3rd to focus primarily on the activities of Wraith squadron, after both Wraith Sq
David(LA,CA)
This section of the series comes to an okay conclusion. Having read other novels in the expanded universe before, I should have known what was coming. Still, it feels like a let down on some levels by ending the story by saying "go read this other book to find out what happens". I guess that's part of the danger of filling in gaps between other novels written by other people.

Otherwise, it's pretty good. It retains its sense of humor while wrapping up as many of its storylines. There's even a bri
Breeanna
AHH I LOVE THIS BOOK. IT IS SO GOOD. I love the plot twist with Fel, I love Lara's arc, and I love Zsinj plans. Only issue with this series is WHERE THE HELL IS RHYSATI? All the other Rogues are at least mentioned some (like Nawara's badass self) leading whole side plots. There are new Rogues but no Rhysati. She was alive and part of Rogue Squadron at the end of the Bacta War, but she's never mentioned (and doesn't appear in the dramatis personae of Solo Command). If she left the squadron, I'd h ...more
Jacob
LOVED it. Several laugh out loud hilarious bits, while still maintaining a lot of the normal seriousness of Star Wars books.
Ricky Ganci
It was the best of the seven X-Wing books I’ve read so far. Great story, even a stretch in the middle where I physically couldn’t stop reading. The plot was so well isulated in on itself that when Gara Petothel and Myn Donos had their showdown, it really was what it should have been. She had a chance to redeem herself (even though Zsinj got away), and that made me feel good. The anonymous time of irresponsibility was a nice touch, as was having Han Solo around for some of the action. It bleeds n ...more
Josh Barnett
Once again I found this book to be much more enjoyable than the first book in the first Wraith Squadron novel. Again it does have the same issues as I stated in the Wraith Squadron review. This book, Solo Command just happened to be much more enjoyable. As the end of a trilogy it wraps things up as nicely as possible considering that the author had limitations because of the next Star Wars novel in chronological order. It is a bit hard to explain further without giving spoilers away about the co ...more
Paul Lunger
X-Wing Book #7, Aaron Allston's "Solo Command" continues the story from the last book with a lot more focus being on Han Solo himself. He continues the quest to bring down Zsinj & the Wraith Squadron continues to do pretty much what it has done all along with again not a lot of variation in plot. The stories themselves in this series seem pretty much to be all along the same routes with some development & action moving towards whatever conclusion this series ends up with. 7 down in what' ...more
Cian Beirdd
This was nice. Character wise this was still more interesting than the Rogue novels, the plot is not terribly intricate, but throwing in some familiar characters in unusual positions and then seeing how they all react was fun. If Allston was hoping to recreate a character as interesting as Thrawn he had no chance; the villain does seem to fall flat with that standard. Still, with just the good guys to focus on this was a neat novel. I was disappointed when the characters in Wraith Squadron didn' ...more
Timothy McNeil
It really feels like Allston would have been happier not having to write about post-movie Han Solo, but he does a good job maintaining the plethora of characters that populate this relatively straightforward outing. And to his credit, Allston does not go the George R.R. Martin route of killing off characters just to do so, thus letting the reader feel that the amount of time spend developing a character actually means something.
John Scott
The third in the Wraith Squadron mini-series, Solo Command tells the tale of Wraith and Rogue Squadrons joining a fleet commanded by none other than General Han Solo (with Chewbacca tagging along of course). Yet another brilliant story from Allston set only half a dozen weeks before the novel Courtship of Princess Leia, and leading onto the beginning of that novel.
Mphecker
This is like a 4.85 star book. I just wish there had been some kind of closure with the whole Zsinj storyline, aside from the provided "Read about more of Han Solo and Warlord Zsinj in The Courtship of Princess Leia!" The conclusion provided in this book was so unsatisfying, especially for such a great series.
Ari
This series was a ton of fun. It was nice, for a short time to concentrate on some of the minor characters. Alot of the characters are such a blast Corran and Piggy are the coolest. Overall good writing. Enjoyable, feel good story lines. You really feel the havic that Isard was spreading around. Overall A good read.
Andrew
Nice Han Solo appearance in the third Wraith Squadron novel, as Wedge and his group of somewhat-unlikely heroes continue the hunt for Warlord Zsinj.
Mark
Han Solo is large and in charge for the ultimate confrontation with Warlord Zsinj. Also, it turns out Wedge's brother-in-law is the greatest TIE Fighter pilot ever. Those kids are going to have some seriously amazing genes - as we will see for ourselves as the EU canon progresses.
Matthew
This was the original conclusion of Wraith Squadron's story, before Mercy Kill (Star Wars) came out, and I think it's a good ending to the story.
waltzy
Fun and feel-good adventure, which is really what I'm looking for when I read Star Wars novels. I love the idea of Wraith Squadron and Allston's sense of humor, and I like the Lara subplot a lot.
Jaime Contreras
This book starts out well and then slows down. By the end, it has redeemed itself. The object of the Wraith Squdron in this book is a new Super Star destroyer, Iron Fist.
Lindsey
A great ending to the Wraith trilogy, I would be happy to see these characters come back in more books. Allston writes a good character story with great action scenes.
Wesley
Loved the squadron and love the covers. Story is okay...better than average for comic writers doing novels. I enjoyed them.
Hunter Beck
Aug 24, 2007 Hunter Beck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: sciencefiction
We get to see some of the bigger characters in action here (namely Han Solo) - and see them contribute to the New Republic.
  • Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Tyrant's Test (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #3)
  • The Hutt Gambit (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #2)
  • Battle Surgeons (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #4) (Medstar, #1)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • Survivor's Quest (Star Wars)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Assault at Selonia (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #2)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
Wraith Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #5) Iron Fist (Star Wars: X-Wing, #6) Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9) Betrayal (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #1) Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)

“Rogue Squadron doesn’t run. Unless we really, really have to."
"No, this will be Wraith Squadron’s mission."
"We don’t mind running. Even when we don’t have to.”
16 likes
“Welcome aboard Mon Remonda. Let’s get the rest of your pilots in... so I can get out of this torture suit."
"But, sir, I was just going to say how smart you looked in your uniform. I think we ought to stay here, in uniform, a couple of hours so the holographers can capture the image. You know, for the historians."
"Wedge, I think I’m going to have you killed."
"Yes, sir. I trust you’ll wear your dress uniform for an event like that.”
6 likes