Start by marking “Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)” as Want to Read:
Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)

Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing #8)

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  6,435 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Sleek, swift and deadly, the famed X-Wing fighters have earned their reputation as the Rebel Alliance's ultimate strike force the hard way--first in battle, the last line of defense.Now they must make a deal with the devil herself--an enemy whose ultimate goal is their total annihilation.

It's the kind of mission only Wedge Antilles and the Rogue Squadron would dare to unde
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published April 1999 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Isard's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isard's Revenge

Daniel
Jun 25, 2013 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is especially hard to read after coming off Wraith Squadron's adventures. Character growth! Humor! Dialog! Pranks! Now it's back to Rogue Squadron, where everyone is perfectly logical, the humor is forced or refers back to something we've forgotten, and we'll rehash the first three books' plots.

There is no character development in this book. The dialog doesn't sound like any kind of real conversation; it's like everyone is just a floating plot point. It's very stilted, and even butler
Cian Beirdd
The title, including revenge and the character of Isard, suggested this was going to be the pinnacle of an, unsophisticated, series. It is not. There is a lovely set-up: Isard recruits Rogue Squadron to combat an old threat and save some POWs. But the execution was definitely lacking. Dialogue was embarrassing. Every important character is mechanically promoted all at once. The characters do nothing interesting, no development, no philosophy, no anything. The action is good, but this felt a lot ...more
David
If, by and large, books can be compared to food - the classics being haute cuisine; the terrible books being dog-food - then the X-Wing series of Star Wars books (all written pre-Episode One, and based on the popular LucasArts games) could probably be best described as fast food: enjoyable enough in small doses but you wouldn't want to live on them and not always that memorable.

With regard to this book, which picks up from the end of Timothy Zahn's "The Last Command" (with the ending of that no
Bryan
Oct 06, 2014 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything that puts Wedge Antilles in a TIE Defender gets 5 stars from me.
Darryl Dobbs
With Thrawn now out of the picture (The Last Command), the focus now for the New Republic is to eliminate the remaining Imperial warlords who are scattered throughout the galaxy.

Rogue squadron is ambushed by the Imperials who were under the guidance of - Isard "Iceheart", who was thought to be dead. So while Corran Horn, Wedge Antilles and the gang are whisked away to a secret base, Corran's wife Mirax Terrik and his friend (and Wedge's future love) Iella Wesseri are doing their own investigati
Tom Ferratt
Oct 20, 2014 Tom Ferratt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
X-Wing - Isard's Revenge: Clinging to the Past
Before I get into this novel, I have to say that I have a natural distaste for authors who feel that they can only cling to material they've previously created. I thought that Allston did a great job of expanding this series of novels by adding new faces (pun intended) and plots. With Stackpole's anticipated return to the series, he really just ignored most of what Allston did and dove right back to where he left off with Rogue Squadron's story. To m
Ron
Sep 30, 2009 Ron rated it really liked it
A gift for successfully ending the series. Predictable and pedestrian.
Megan
Feb 23, 2015 Megan rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars, scifi, fiction
I can’t even begin to figure out a way to write this review spoiler free. I myself don’t believe in spoilers, especially for books that were published in the 90s, but for the sake of preserving the surprises I got when I read this — knowing zero about it — I’ll tell you up front, this is one spoilery review.

(view spoiler)
J.
May 02, 2011 J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michael Stackpole returns to the X-Wing series after a brief interlude took us through Han and Leia's nuptuals and the Thrawn crisis. Things are decidedly different in Rogue Squadron following Wedge's promotion to the rank of General after Admiral Ackbar notes that his stubborn refusal to move up the ranks is inspiring his people to take the same stand and his bull-headedness is only hurting their careers. Wedge accepts the promotion and just about everyone else moves up as well. Corran Horn and ...more
Crystal Starr Light
Sep 27, 2010 Crystal Starr Light rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
“The way we rebuild the galaxy is by making lives better one at a time”
The New Republic is hot off the battle with Thrawn. Admiral Ackbar forces Wedge Antilles to accept a promotion to General so they can deal with the remnants of the Empire and the Prince-Admiral, Krennel, and rescue the remaining Lusankya prisoners. Little do they know that Isard is back and wants revenge.
NOTE: Listened to audiobook.

I Liked:
I don’t know if this audiobook was better edited, or I was paying attention better or t
Vincent Darlage
The sound effects and music made the story more fun than it otherwise might have been. Anthony Heald did a good job of reading it. The scene with the X-Wings ripping through the AT-AT's (as seen on the cover) reminded me of a Star Wars RPG game I played in my youth, wherein I took an X-Wing against an AT-AT and ripped through it - prompting us all to ask - why didn't the rebels send their X-Wings against the AT-ATs on Hoth? (Our answer was that X-Wings couldn't actually fly on planets - that the ...more
David(LA,CA)
If Joss Whedonand George R.R. Martin are well known for killing off characters we love, Michael A. Stackpole should probably be well known for faking the deaths of the characters we love.

A previous villian from the X-Wing series returns from the dead to extract revenge on Rogue Squadron and attempt to return to power. And Stackpole takes the opportunity to make sure that every character he has ever written for this series of books gets to add the words "returned from the dead" to their resume.
L.
Aug 03, 2013 L. rated it really liked it
It's difficult to offer a recap of Isard's Revenge without giving away spoilers, but it's pretty obvious that Ysanne Isard, the villain from the first four X-Wing books, is back and the Rogues are in her sights. As usual, Corran Horn is the star of the book, and as usual, there are a lot of aerial dogfights, unrealistic dialogue, fake deaths, incompetent Imperials, and chapters that end in melodramatic statements that no one - even in fiction - would ever utter out loud. Don't get me wrong, it w ...more
Michael
Sep 21, 2013 Michael rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
About a year ago, I embarked on a quest to re-read all of the X-wing novels, start to finish (as well as Stackpole's I Jedi , since it re-uses many of the characters and situations). I loved these books back when I was in middle school, and I wanted to see if they stood the test of time.

Spoiler alert: They don't.

Or rather, the first four novels in the series are still great reads, and Allston's Wraith Squadron series is passable, but by the time Isard's Revenge has come around, the formulaic
Emily
Jan 06, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Confusing, the plot takes a long time to take off and although it is an interesting idea I'd love to know why there are cloning machines apparently all over the Galaxy. Loved Mirax and Iella's bonding and the ending tied everything up neatly. Corran remains a firm favourite although I found myself missing the pranks and humour of Wraith Squadron.
Ricky Ganci
Jan 05, 2012 Ricky Ganci rated it did not like it
It was my least favorite of the X-Wing novels, and of the least enjoyable of the Star Wars novels as a whole, simply because I felt like I was reading a story that I’d read before, and that’s the main reason I’m crediting myself with an entire read even though I skipped about 100+ pages in the middle somewhere. It was basically the plot of all of the first four X-Wing books all mish-mashed into one. Corran goes missing, then comes back to life. Iella Wessiri shoots Isard to avenge her dead husba ...more
Jenny T
I love this series to pieces, but this one really got bogged down in an unnecessarily complicated villainous plot in which half of the characters thought the other half were dead but there was no real sense of danger. Still, fantastic characters.
Arlene Kellas
One chapter in and all I can think is it would be amazing to have Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole collaborate. This first chapter is what was missing from the Thrawn trilogy.

It wasn't the best book of the series, but it was still fun.

I do have to say this is the first book to really analyze the symbols for the Republic and Empire. It was from Isard's view, but I still loved it. "She hated the Rebel crest's soft curves and languid angles. To her it had no strength, no ability to stir the spir
Justin Miller
Mar 30, 2016 Justin Miller rated it really liked it
I'm just glad that Mr. Stackpole wrote this edition in the series. I feel he is much more in tune with Wedge and his mates than Mr. Allston is.
Jacob
Feb 10, 2014 Jacob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had a hard time getting through this one... Way too slow, and I don't feel the characters lived up to their reputations.
Craig
Apr 13, 2016 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the last three books this one was ok. Not as good. It doesn't have the same greatness the other novels had, but I could still enjoy it some.
Michael Barker
Funny enough read this book before any in the rogue squadron series and although confusing to be introduced to the characters so late in the game; it was a good read. Certainly looking forward to following rogue squadron more and finding out about their origins and future adventures.
May 15, 2015 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love how Stackpole writes. He marries the witty humor and light heartedness with the seriousness that battles bring without over doing it. Excellent character development as always. I throughly enjoyed this book just as I have enjoyed other works by Stackpole. Fantastic read and such a great ending to his work of the X-Wing series.
Mphecker
While I enjoyed the novel, I think I read this too soon after the Wraith Squadron books make the shift back to Stackpole's characters and writing style. I enjoyed Isard as a villain in the first four books, but I felt like her schemes weren't as thought out in this book. I enjoyed seeing the old Rogues, but the switch back from the Wraith Squadron series held me back a bit too much to really enjoy this.
Jerry
Jun 13, 2012 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The penultimate X-Wing novel actually makes for quite good reading; great writing and plenty of action and suspense, with a little drama and romance in the mix. However, the ending (which I won't divulge here) is slightly disappointing, if only because I'm unsure how they could continue the story afterward. I know there is just one more, because I own it; we shall see whether it's any good.
Andrew
Apr 26, 2016 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
The return of Ysanne Isard and her Imperial cronies, and a return to Rogue Squadron and Michael A. Stackpole after two books featuring Wraith Squardron written by Aaron Allston. As good as Stackpole's previous work: a bunch of plot lines branch out and all are tied in neatly towards the end. Always loved Wedge Antilles as a kid from the movies, so having him as the major character is a huge plus.
John
Mar 30, 2016 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paper-copies
Not as good as I remember previous instalments being, but that could be as much due to the huge gap in age between reading Solo Command and this novel. I did however still have a blast; I'll never get tired of reading about Corran Horn and his exploits.
John Scott
Mar 18, 2012 John Scott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Return to form for Stackpole, and a full return to the series for Rogue Squadron under now-General Antilles and Colonel Tycho. It also brings back some of Stackpole's characters and settings established in the x-wing comics and the first quartet of the novels. As always, Stackpole is on fine form, and the focus on Corran Horn is always a welcome one!
Mark
Stackpole is back for another turn with the Rogue Squadron plot, so of course the old nemesis Isard is back as well. I think there was some confusing stuff about clones around here somewhere. Well, who cares? We're not reading for completely coherent plots. We're reading for the dogfights.
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Jedi Healer (Medstar, #2)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • Tatooine Ghost (Star Wars)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • Survivor's Quest (Star Wars)
  • Showdown at Centerpoint (Star Wars: The Corellian Trilogy, #3)

Star Wars: X-Wing (10 books)
  • Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)
  • Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2)
  • The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3)
  • The Bacta War (Star Wars: X-Wing, #4)
  • Wraith Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #5)
  • Iron Fist (Star Wars: X-Wing, #6)
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Starfighters of Adumar (Star Wars: X-Wing, #9)
  • Mercy Kill (Star Wars: X-Wing, #10)