Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing, #8)

Isard's Revenge (Star Wars: X-Wing #8)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  5,269 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Sleek, swift and deadly, the famed X-Wing fighters have earned their reputation as the Rebel Alliance's ultimate strike force the hard way--first in battle, the last line of defense.Now they must make a deal with the devil herself--an enemy whose ultimate goal is their total annihilation.

It's the kind of mission only Wedge Antilles and the Rogue Squadron would dare to unde...more
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published April 1999 by Spectra

To ask other readers questions about Isard's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isard's Revenge

Daniel
This book is especially hard to read after coming off Wraith Squadron's adventures. Character growth! Humor! Dialog! Pranks! Now it's back to Rogue Squadron, where everyone is perfectly logical, the humor is forced or refers back to something we've forgotten, and we'll rehash the first three books' plots.

There is no character development in this book. The dialog doesn't sound like any kind of real conversation; it's like everyone is just a floating plot point. It's very stilted, and even butler...more
David
If, by and large, books can be compared to food - the classics being haute cuisine; the terrible books being dog-food - then the X-Wing series of Star Wars books (all written pre-Episode One, and based on the popular LucasArts games) could probably be best described as fast food: enjoyable enough in small doses but you wouldn't want to live on them and not always that memorable.

With regard to this book, which picks up from the end of Timothy Zahn's "The Last Command" (with the ending of that no...more
Ron
A gift for successfully ending the series. Predictable and pedestrian.
Jacob
Michael Stackpole returns to the X-Wing series after a brief interlude took us through Han and Leia's nuptuals and the Thrawn crisis. Things are decidedly different in Rogue Squadron following Wedge's promotion to the rank of General after Admiral Ackbar notes that his stubborn refusal to move up the ranks is inspiring his people to take the same stand and his bull-headedness is only hurting their careers. Wedge accepts the promotion and just about everyone else moves up as well. Corran Horn and...more
Crystal Starr Light
“The way we rebuild the galaxy is by making lives better one at a time”
The New Republic is hot off the battle with Thrawn. Admiral Ackbar forces Wedge Antilles to accept a promotion to General so they can deal with the remnants of the Empire and the Prince-Admiral, Krennel, and rescue the remaining Lusankya prisoners. Little do they know that Isard is back and wants revenge.
NOTE: Listened to audiobook.

I Liked:
I don’t know if this audiobook was better edited, or I was paying attention better or t...more
Vincent Darlage
The sound effects and music made the story more fun than it otherwise might have been. Anthony Heald did a good job of reading it. The scene with the X-Wings ripping through the AT-AT's (as seen on the cover) reminded me of a Star Wars RPG game I played in my youth, wherein I took an X-Wing against an AT-AT and ripped through it - prompting us all to ask - why didn't the rebels send their X-Wings against the AT-ATs on Hoth? (Our answer was that X-Wings couldn't actually fly on planets - that the...more
David(LA,CA)
If Joss Whedonand George R.R. Martin are well known for killing off characters we love, Michael A. Stackpole should probably be well known for faking the deaths of the characters we love.

A previous villian from the X-Wing series returns from the dead to extract revenge on Rogue Squadron and attempt to return to power. And Stackpole takes the opportunity to make sure that every character he has ever written for this series of books gets to add the words "returned from the dead" to their resume....more
L.
It's difficult to offer a recap of Isard's Revenge without giving away spoilers, but it's pretty obvious that Ysanne Isard, the villain from the first four X-Wing books, is back and the Rogues are in her sights. As usual, Corran Horn is the star of the book, and as usual, there are a lot of aerial dogfights, unrealistic dialogue, fake deaths, incompetent Imperials, and chapters that end in melodramatic statements that no one - even in fiction - would ever utter out loud. Don't get me wrong, it w...more
Michael
About a year ago, I embarked on a quest to re-read all of the X-wing novels, start to finish (as well as Stackpole's I Jedi , since it re-uses many of the characters and situations). I loved these books back when I was in middle school, and I wanted to see if they stood the test of time.

Spoiler alert: They don't.

Or rather, the first four novels in the series are still great reads, and Allston's Wraith Squadron series is passable, but by the time Isard's Revenge has come around, the formulaic pl...more
Ricky Ganci
It was my least favorite of the X-Wing novels, and of the least enjoyable of the Star Wars novels as a whole, simply because I felt like I was reading a story that I’d read before, and that’s the main reason I’m crediting myself with an entire read even though I skipped about 100+ pages in the middle somewhere. It was basically the plot of all of the first four X-Wing books all mish-mashed into one. Corran goes missing, then comes back to life. Iella Wessiri shoots Isard to avenge her dead husba...more
Cian Beirdd
The title, including revenge and the character of Isard, suggested this was going to be the pinnacle of an, unsophisticated, series. It is not. There is a lovely set-up: Isard recruits Rogue Squadron to combat an old threat and save some POWs. But the execution was definitely lacking. Dialogue was embarrassing. Every important character is mechanically promoted all at once. The characters do nothing interesting, no development, no philosophy, no anything. The action is good, but this felt a lot...more
Arlene Kellas
Jun 30, 2014 Arlene Kellas is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
One chapter in and all I can think is it would be amazing to have Timothy Zahn and Michael Stackpole collaborate. This first chapter is what was missing from the Thrawn trilogy.
Jacob
Had a hard time getting through this one... Way too slow, and I don't feel the characters lived up to their reputations.
Mphecker
While I enjoyed the novel, I think I read this too soon after the Wraith Squadron books make the shift back to Stackpole's characters and writing style. I enjoyed Isard as a villain in the first four books, but I felt like her schemes weren't as thought out in this book. I enjoyed seeing the old Rogues, but the switch back from the Wraith Squadron series held me back a bit too much to really enjoy this.
Siobhan Parker
The penultimate X-Wing novel actually makes for quite good reading; great writing and plenty of action and suspense, with a little drama and romance in the mix. However, the ending (which I won't divulge here) is slightly disappointing, if only because I'm unsure how they could continue the story afterward. I know there is just one more, because I own it; we shall see whether it's any good.
Andrew
The return of Ysanne Isard and her Imperial cronies, and a return to Rogue Squadron and Michael A. Stackpole after two books featuring Wraith Squardron written by Aaron Allston. As good as Stackpole's previous work: a bunch of plot lines branch out and all are tied in neatly towards the end. Always loved Wedge Antilles as a kid from the movies, so having him as the major character is a huge plus.
John Scott
Return to form for Stackpole, and a full return to the series for Rogue Squadron under now-General Antilles and Colonel Tycho. It also brings back some of Stackpole's characters and settings established in the x-wing comics and the first quartet of the novels. As always, Stackpole is on fine form, and the focus on Corran Horn is always a welcome one!
Mark
Stackpole is back for another turn with the Rogue Squadron plot, so of course the old nemesis Isard is back as well. I think there was some confusing stuff about clones around here somewhere. Well, who cares? We're not reading for completely coherent plots. We're reading for the dogfights.
Jaime Contreras
This eighth book is one of the best because it features the return of Ysanne Isard and a new thrat to peace. There is also a sadistic prison commander, Admiral Krennel. The action is taut and fast.
Lindsey
Chris.s
Isard the enemy of the rouge squadron is back. And ready to kill the leader wedge antillles and corran withe the crew to the death.
Wesley
One thing about these books. They tend to blend together, but they all have great cover art!
Will Buckley
I HAVE NOT EVEN READ THIS BOOK I DONT KNOW HOW I ENDED UP RATING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hunter Beck
Aug 24, 2007 Hunter Beck rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: sciencefiction
Too short and a relatively dissapointing end to an otherwise outstanding series.
Matt
It was okay. I just didn't think there was enough story behind it.
Matthew
Not my favorite of the series, but still quite enjoyable.
Theresa
how do they keep things going
Joost
Still going strong.
Steve Pierce
Steve Pierce marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
  • Solo Command (Star Wars: X-Wing, #7)
  • Jedi Healer (Star Wars: Clone Wars, #5) (Medstar, #2)
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Tyrant's Test (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #3)
  • True Colors (Star Wars: Republic Commando, #3)
  • Hard Merchandise (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #3)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Survivor's Quest (Star Wars)
  • Refugee (Force Heretic, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16)
  • The Paradise Snare (Star Wars: The Han Solo Trilogy, #1)
  • Millennium Falcon (Star Wars)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1) I, Jedi (Star Wars) Wedge's Gamble (Star Wars: X-Wing, #2) The Krytos Trap (Star Wars: X-Wing, #3) The Bacta War (Star Wars: X-Wing, #4)