The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville

The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  3 reviews
This work is a complete English translation of the Latin Etymologies of Isidore, Bishop of Seville (c.560 636). Isidore compiled the work between c.615 and the early 630s and it takes the form of an encyclopedia, arranged by subject matter. It contains much lore of the late classical world beginning with the Seven Liberal Arts, including Rhetoric, and touches on thousands...more
Published April 15th 2010 by Cambridge University Press (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Etymologies of Isidore of Seville

John Cairns
The introduction interested me because I wasn't au fait with the historical background, actually thinking Isidore would be an Arab. I did know of the Byzantine reconquest of a bit of Spain that Isidore is okay about seeing retaken by the Visigothic kings he's subject to while regarding himself as a Latin speaking Roman, living under Roman law, probably.

I took one look at the first page of the Etymologies and thought it'd be tedious but it was the reverse, because I'm interested in words and the...more
Jordan
This isn't really a book one reads for enjoyment, it's basically a 6th century Wikipedia combining aspects of Greek and Roman writing, along with the Bible, to try and craft an encyclopedia of the world. There are many very interesting entries, and then others are simply 1 word entries, it largely depended on what Isidore had to work with as the book was being assembled. If anything, the book is mainly interesting as a way to better understand how the well education at the time saw their world.
Nicola Griffith
A wonderful book. I can't praise it highly enough. This was the Wikipedia of Bede's time (and Hild's, though I'm not sure Hild would have seen it). Want to know why architects used green Carystean marble to panel libraries, or whether amber is born of the sap of poplar or pine? Look no further.

It's basically full of mnemonic devices to aid students (of any age, and age). And witty--in places.
Emma
Emma added it
Jan 25, 2014
Yann
Yann added it
Jan 21, 2014
Josiah
Josiah marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Vincent
Vincent is currently reading it
May 30, 2013
Guto
Guto marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Ludwig
Ludwig marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2012
Hito1
Hito1 marked it as to-read
May 03, 2012
Carl Hostetter
Carl Hostetter marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2011