Start by marking “An Unnatural Order: Uncovering the Roots of Our Domination of Nature and Each Other” as Want to Read:

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  6 reviews
A text which examines how we have created such a violent society and what needs to be done to reestablish our sense of kinship with living nature.
Published May 1st 1997 by Continuum (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about An Unnatural Order, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unnatural Order

Greg
Aug 08, 2007 Greg is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Hillary found this book at a library sale and thought I'd like it. The central idea -- that there is a direct link between our domination of the natural world and our domination of each other and ourselves -- is precisely what propelled me into grad school.
Jacqueline
Gives a poignant account and perspective on how humans came to think of themselves as superior all-deserving "stewards" of the land. Lots of historical insights. Very educational.
David Agranoff
I read this too long ago to write a valid review, but this is fantastic groundbreaking environmental book everyone should read. changed my life.
Zsuzsanna
History of our connection to the animal world. I've used this book as a history guide as well.
Jeffrey Cohan
It is hard for me to dislike a book that posits the important and well-supported idea that the oppression of animals is the root of all oppression.

But while slogging through "An Unnatural Order," I found myself writing "that's b.s." far too often.

Jim Mason is a likeable guy and his book does offer a few interesting insights and ideas.

But "Unnatural" is disorganized, repetitive, unfocused, and, in some places, ridiculous.

Mason tries to achieve an academic tone without going to the trouble of doin
Dina
Aug 12, 2008 Dina is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
will be writing notes and reflections at http://freeganbook.blogspot.com/
Amanda Wilch
Amanda Wilch marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Wendy Shields
Wendy Shields is currently reading it
Oct 17, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Monica Nguyen
Monica Nguyen marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Elisa
Elisa added it
Sep 02, 2014
CrimsonFlamez
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Sebouh
Sebouh marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Ine
Ine marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Roberto Vidal
Roberto Vidal marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Seb
Seb marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Leeanne Beveridge steed
Leeanne Beveridge steed marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
J K
J K marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Mostafa Kharma
Mostafa Kharma marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Alyson Walls
Alyson Walls marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
courtney
courtney marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Hannah Ballou
Hannah Ballou marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The Ethics of What We Eat Animal Factories Eating No Holding Back: The 1980 John B. Anderson Presidential Campaign The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter