Start by marking “Besieger of Cities” as Want to Read:
Besieger of Cities

Besieger of Cities

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  22 ratings  ·  6 reviews
When Alexander the Great died in Babylon, his generals such as Antigonus and his young son, Demetrius vowed to keep his great Empire together. Demetrius devoted his life to fighting for this cause, and in doing so was given the title 'Saviour God' by the Athenians.

He was a resourceful soldier, an inventor of weapons, as well as brave and handsome-small wonder he dazzled th
Published 1963 by Pantheon

To ask other readers questions about Besieger of Cities, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Besieger of Cities

TERENCE: I’ll take “Obscure Hellenistic Era Kings” for $1000, Alex.

ALEX TREBEK: All right. “I am the son of Antigonos. I am nicknamed Besieger of Cities. And I drank myself to death, a prisoner of Seleukos I Nikanor, in 283 BC.”

[Jeopardy theme plays as the contestants perplexedly scratch their heads]

TERENCE: [milliseconds before the buzzer sounds] Ummm…Who is Demetrios Poliorketes?

ALEX: Correct!

Besieger of Cities is the fictional life of Demetrius, the son of one of Alexander the Great’s general
Edmund Marlowe
Demetrius Poliorcetes (The City-Taker), the subject of this fictionalised biography, was probably the most likeable of the many colourful characters who struggled to capture control of Alexander the Great's empire in the forty years after his death. Exceptionally compassionate for an often cruel age, generous, charismatic and staggeringly good-looking, he was also fatally flawed, his boundless ambition and aptitude for warfare undermined by his self-indulgence and weak will. Plutarch, on whose l ...more
I read this novel many years ago, when I was a young(er) man, and greatly enjoyed. Would love to have a copy now :(.

The generation following the death of Alexander the Great was one of near constant warfare as his former generals, and their families, squabbled, intrigued, and plotted for power. The mighty Persian empire became a mere play thing as a dozen 'great' men spent their lives (and the lives of many others) striving for control. All set against the time when Greek and Macedonian civilis
A.k.a, "Elephants and Castles," this tells the story of the life of Demetrius I of Macedon, who in the 3rd/4th c. bce was the son of one of Alexander the Great's main generals. After Alexander died, Demetrius and his father attempted to reunite the empire (by force of arms, of course). Demetrius nearly succeeded, conquering Ptolemy's fleet and freeing Athens, then the rest of his life was spent trying, and trying, and trying but never quite succeeding. As usual, Duggan does a bang-up job of tell ...more
Generally an overall good read. A great compliment to studying the post-Alexander Greek world, often times ignored in historical novels.
It's the first book of Alfred Duggan I've read and I can see why some think he's one of the best historical novelists. I still like Mary Renault better, though.
The story of a Greek General hoping to follow in the footsteps of Alexander the Great. Well-researched but so dated now in its presentation. Oddly full of misprints. And lacked a map of the area to keep me right!
Thomas Ray
Thomas Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Laurentiu Lazar
Laurentiu Lazar marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2015
Jane marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Verity marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Omer added it
Feb 14, 2015
Devon marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Evan marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Nathan Tafolla
Nathan Tafolla marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Kyrce added it
Sep 28, 2014
Feliks added it
Oct 27, 2015
minniemon marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Peter Milner
Peter Milner marked it as to-read
May 13, 2013
Hélène marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Matt Goldwater
Matt Goldwater marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2013
Tim marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2013
"There have been few historical imaginations better informed or more gifted than Alfred Duggan’s" (The New Criterion).

Historian, archaeologist and novelist Alfred Leo Duggan wrote historical fiction and non-fiction about a wide range of subjects, in places and times as diverse as Julius Caesar’s Rome and the Medieval Europe of Thomas Becket.

Although he was born in Argentina, Duggan grew up in Engl
More about Alfred Duggan...