Start by marking “The 4 Day Diet” as Want to Read:
The 4 Day Diet

The 4 Day Diet

Take weight off fast with Dr. Ian Smith's Customized 4 Day Diet Modules!
You can follow The 4 Day Diet straight through for a month with stunning results. But only you know how you eat—and how you diet. Customize your own program in whatever order works best for you—or just repeat the modules you like best. Only the first two are doctor's orders:
Induction (detox/cleansing)
Published April 1st 2010 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The 4 Day Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 4 Day Diet

melissa
Feb 09, 2009 melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am finding this book hard to review. Do I judge it on if I enjoyed the read, or if I lost weight? Well, I decided I should finish the book before I started the diet, so I have yet to lose any weight (but I did start this morning, and am so far, not struggling to follow it.) It was easy to read, easy to follow (the book itself), and educating. It was inspiring, and I think when I get stuck, if I go back and read some, it will be motivational. It was well laid out, and the ‘rules’ are clear. It ...more
Ashley
Apr 05, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I decided to read this because I am a fan of Celebrity Fit Club. I've been wanting to eat healthier for a long time-and Dr. Ian Smith seemed to have the answers. I liked the book, but thought he was targeting obesity more than general weight loss. I found his answers honest and straight forward. He focuses on the emotional state of the individual and their relationship with food. At the end, Dr. Smith provides modules for the reader to follow. I found the section on food substitution very very h ...more
Cjpeffer
Feb 18, 2010 Cjpeffer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this. It had some new viewpoints I hadn't really thought about. It was about par with all the celebrity weight loss books that have come out which basically say the same thing but with a spin. The only 4 day part of the diet is in different modules that last 4 days. But you move between seven different modules as your accomplish your goals which could take months,etc. I like the reality of that concept. We didn't gain the weight in 4 days, we should be told we can lose it that fast.

I
Jen
It's hard to rate a diet book -- rate it on how well written it is? On whether you lose weight? On the science? -- but I'm going to give this one three stars. Three stars because it's the perfect January diet: you're highly motivated to follow very restrictive rules; you lose weight right away; you have lots of energy to accomplish all those other pesky resolutions; and you eat lots of vegetables and fruit. But whether you gain it all back immediately or whether it's really a good idea to neglec ...more
Joanne
Jun 19, 2009 Joanne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, diet
Nothing really new in the first half of the book, which is the motivational section on why I should diet and how to psych myself up for a diet. The actual diet consists of 7 "modules" of 4 days each. Each module has a different diet plan and a different exercise plan. After doing the first 2 modules, you can do the rest in any order and repeat any module as you wish. I can see how this could make your diet plan more interesting and potentially keep you on the plan for a longer time. Unfortunatel ...more
Adrienna
There were many great points in this book; however, I'm not quite sure who would follow his diet plans to a Tee. They were pretty brutal and hate constraints on good eating. Yet, I do suggest detox plan that works for you to get your mojo started and get the junk out of your system to get back your energy and metabolism going once more. Thanks Ian for helping clear the surface! I took some great notes from the book and substitutes for watching movies--popcorn (have changed to air-popped and not ...more
Latiffany
I have been planning to read this book for ages, but never got around to it. I think that if I had read it when it first came out, I may have benefited from it. It was not interesting at all. We have an overload of information on how to eat right and stay healthy. This book covered nothing new and the meal plan seems bland and boring.
Trenia
Mar 12, 2009 Trenia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was really pumped about the book til I was listening to the radio and Dr. Ian tried to play everyone with a fake letter. I listened to a show in the morning and he read the letter then again in the afternoon different show at that. How could a person write the same letter and change which show she first heard about the challenge on. Come on Dr. Ian you could have changed the letters.
Laura Needels
Jun 05, 2013 Laura Needels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a 28 day program. The title is misleading. He has it broken down into seven 4 day programs. I like the variety of the foods, and the fact that you can slip a little treat in here and there. More importantly, I DID lose weight on the program and found it fairly easy to stick to.
Rhonda M.
Dr. Smith's diets in this book are easy to follow. He writes in a way that is neither judgmental nor preachy. I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a diet that offers variety without a lot of supplements.
Debbie
Apr 13, 2010 Debbie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read. I always like to read a variety of books at any one time. He has a great approach to why diets may not have worked in the past. Can't wait to check the book out again (I ran out of time to finish and could not extend it at the library)
Penny
May 01, 2016 Penny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This just wasn't my kind of book. I can see how it might help others.
Beleeby
Sep 21, 2009 Beleeby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health-diet
I really liked this book and it really got me going in my quest to be a healthier person. I hope anyone that is looking to start the healthier life change would buy this book.
Marie Connor
Some good info, but I like WW better.
Kelly
Jul 02, 2010 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
obviously didnt work.
Theresa
May 20, 2009 Theresa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
The book jacket says, "Be thinner by Friday." I thought this was funny.
Aubri
Jan 14, 2009 Aubri rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
so if you want to eat brown rice and tea for every meal, this book is for YOU!
Jenna Edgar
Jenna Edgar rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2015
Jen
Jen rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2010
Lana
Lana rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2012
Chrisney
Chrisney rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2014
Buttercup
Buttercup rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2013
Latonyakeys
Latonyakeys rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2010
Queenie
Queenie rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2017
Sori
Sori rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2010
Crystal Glenn
Crystal Glenn rated it did not like it
Sep 21, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was ok
Dec 31, 2010
Aloma Johnson
Aloma Johnson rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2012
M.D.  Rhett
M.D. Rhett rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Sep 03, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • 7 Money Mantras for a Richer Life: How to Live Well with the Money You Have
  • Saved in the City
  • Illustrated Guide to Gardening (updated w/ color)
  • The Couple's Tao Te Ching: Ancient Advice for Modern Lovers
  • Fasting for Spiritual Breakthrough: A Guide to Nine Biblical Fasts
  • Mind Into Matter: A New Alchemy of Science and Spirit
  • A Hood Affair
  • Martha Stewart's Wedding Cakes
  • Using What You Got: A Novel
  • Friend Raising: Building a Missionary Support Team That Lasts
  • The Circular Study (Mr. Gryce #10)
  • What Makes the Great Great
  • A Whisper to a Scream
  • Chicken Soup for the New Mom's Soul: Touching Stories about Miracles of Motherhood
  • The 100 Best Vacations to Enrich Your Life
  • Emilie Du Chatelet: Daring Genius of the Enlightenment
  • Watercolored Pearls (Spirit and Soul #3)
  • No Time To Die (Michael Collins, #2)
Ian K. Smith, M.D.,Ian K. Smith, M.D. is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of SUPER SHRED, SHRED, THE 4 DAY DIET, THE FAT SMASH DIET and EXTREME FAT SMASH DIET among 7 other books including, SHRED Diet Cookbook , EAT, Happy , and The Blackbird Papers. His newest book, THE SHRED POWER CLEANSE, is available 12/29/15.

He is a former co-host of Emmy-winning “The Doctors” TV show, and a medica
More about Ian K. Smith...