Start by marking “Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1
Preview

Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  397 ratings  ·  78 reviews
Giants and Cannibals!
Wonders and Witches!
One Amazing Hero.

Brave Odysseus is far from home, tossed by stormy seas, and cursed by an angry one-eyed giant. If he ever wants to see his family again, he will have to face hungry cannibals, outwit a beautiful witch, and sail past a six-headed serpent. His journey is the ultimate test of endurance and courage.

In this exciting se
Published May 4th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

Nate
Tales from the Odyssey is a great introduction to Homer and Greek Mythology, and will give children an excellent foundation of knowledge. I also think this book will leave children with the desire to further pursue mythology and, who knows, maybe lead to them reading Homer one day. The only reason this isn't 5 stars is because this is only Part 1.

The spoilers below are notes for our OBOB team.

(view spoiler)
Emily
When I was a child, you could get books from a series titled "Illustrated Classic Editions." These petite sized, very abridged versions of famous classic novels were intended for early readers. See them here: http://lostinthecloudblog.com/2010/08... I had a few as a child, and the ones my husband collected currently adorn our bookshelves. They include things like "David Copperfield" cut down to 238 4"x5" pages.

"Tales from the Odyssey" parts one and two remind me almost exactly of this book seri
Crusoe
The book Tales From The Odyssey is a book that will hook on to you and never let you stop reading. Tales From The Odyssey will make you have pity, chills, and even give you thrills. This book has excitement, chills, bravery, and adventure. this book will keep you reading and saying,"One more page, Please," when your mom calls you up for dinner. this book is one of my favorite books i have ever read. This book is good for people who like action and adventure.
Courtney
I understand these are written to be easily read. I just don't understand why easily read has to be so boring. It's the Odyssey! It should have some element of excitement! But it doesn't, at all.
Nathan
Feb 26, 2014 Nathan added it
On this book, TALES FROM THE ODYSSEY, I liked it more than I thought I would. after I read about 5 pages I really liked it. this was because i like book that have adventures in them and a quest to do anything, in this case it was trying to get back home. the way the author set up the book was great. he didn't jump straight to conclusion she made it smooth the way she changed from one thing to another. his was one of the best books i have read since this year and over the summer. after i finishe ...more
Lizeth
I rated this book 3 stars because although I did enjoy it I felt that everything happened too fast for so many years that Odysseus was on his journey.After all that happen he didn't go home to his family which made it seem like forever but this gives more reason to continue the story.I did like reading about his adventures in fighting all those different monsters.I need a bit more clarification because I was a bit confused in the part where he went to the land of the dead did he go there physica ...more
Jean-Marie
This is a perfect child-friendly version of Homer's The Odyssey. I read this aloud to my children (6 and 10) to complement our history lessons about ancient Greece. They both enjoyed the story, although I think the older child would have been further engaged with a more complex text, especially since she is the household expert on all things about Greek mythology. I recommend this for early elementary readers.
Sarahi
I give the book three stars it was a good book but sometimes it didn't catch my interest. But what did catch my attention was when in the beginning of the book they made a wooden horse to try to get Helen out. It was fun to her everything they did to try to prepare for their action and see them accomplish it. That's what I enjoyed must. I also like how loving he was to his family he would do anything for them to be with them and that just showed a different side of him.
Elementary OBOB, book 13. The feel of the book kept true to the Odyssey but with elementary kids in mind. Osborne put things together in an interesting, well organized way and had all her tales well documented. I think she is an amazing author for kids. She tells great stories but also gets the facts right.
Joshua Merino
What I thought of this book was pretty great. I do like to read about mythical creatures and gods. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in adventures and gods. The fighting in this book was also great to and was exciting to read to see what would happen next. As the story ends I wanted to read move on to part 2 which I will read next and continue on the great adventure of odyssey.
Saul
I gave it 2 stars because this book was really confusing. I didn't get one part of it. I thought it would be an easier read for me but it wasn't. I did like how brave Odysseus was. In one of the parts where he was fighting Scylla. Also how he beat the witch and the Cyclops. It was interesting to see how he and his team did it together. Furthermore, this is why I ranked this book 2 stars.
This book was a great way to expose curious kids to the classic by Homer. Because of the Percy Jackson series the kids are captivated with Greek Mythology. This book exposes them to the classic without having to struggle with the complexity of Homer poem.
Lisa Singleterry
This is your typical Greek mythology sort of story. Maybe a little more dramatization in it, but really its just the usual. I do recommend reading this before the Percy Jackson books though...it will really explain Sea of Monsters to you.
Selena
What I liked most about the book "Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1" was how the setting was being describing here and there. Giving us, the readers an imagination of how it would look if we were in the story. Also, I liked how some parts of the book showed how Odyssey could be brave at some points through out the book and then not so brave in others.
Lucas
I'm not entirely sure that Homer's epic needed a retelling. It would appear this was meant to introduce the Odyssey to a younger audience. The sexual content is gone, but there is still a surprising amount of gore. All that being said, it's still a solid enough retelling. It also made me realize that I need to reread the original for personal reasons. Earlier this year I joked, not inaccurately, that I was working for Scylla and Charybdis. But now that this book has given me back some more memor ...more
Angelica Calzada
This books makes kind of sad at times. Poor Odyssey seems to never find his way home to his wife and son from his journey. However i find it pretty cool that he has had to go though a lot of task i order to get home. Like visiting the land of the dead. It really shows how determine he is to get home.
Julia
I like the book because I like the plot and the order in which that they chose to set up the book.As well as because the title is a good title to describe the book because it is a very good and entertaining book. I also recommend it to people who like the Odyssey because it is a simple book to help you understand it better.
Chrissanfilippo
I chose this book because I wanted to read a good mythology book. This book is about a brave man named Odysseus who is trying to get home to his wife and son but has to face terrible beasts. My favorite quote is when Odysseus says, "No we cant give up now," This is my favorite quote because even though almost all his ships are destroyed and almost all his men are killed he wont quit till he reaches his home and his family. I thought the authors writing style was great she explained the story wel ...more
Lavaris
It was Okay because i some parts i did not like when i first start reading it. i said i did not like it but when it got to the middle in the end i start to like it because it start telling me a lot what was going on like why odyssey wanted to go back home in he had to fight them monsters on his way home
Sanz
Read aloud to my 8, 6, & 3 year old sons. We all LOVED it! They often asked for more chapters. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Angel
I like this book a lot but its sad at the same time because all of his men had died and he's traveling alone and his ship got wreck so now he's in a island alone. I would recomend this book to my uncle because he likes reading these kind of books and i think he will enjoy it.
Juan
I thought this book was kinda good because i'm a big fan of greek Gods. I didn't like how Mary Pope Osborne included other stories in the book. I would of liked it if she just wrote it as a big book instead of putting it into different books.
Alexis
I give this book 3 stars because it was kind of confusing with all the fights and the different scences they had.One thing I liked about this book was that there was different gods and godessess in h story that they had and they were all unique.
Halle
I loved this book because it had monsters and creepy places and the author added lots of details and descriptions in the book.
Mary
The book overall was good. Although at the beginning it was a bit confusing, towards the middle it started to make more sense. Having gods and goddesses for everything is confusing because they have a god for everything.
Yanely
I think this book was a good book to read. It was interesting and awesome to read. Something I liked about this book are the characters. I think the characters seem o have something interesting in them. I would also recommend it.
Jen
A retelling of Homer's Odyssey that does what it needs to do and no more
Angelic Zaizai
Cerita tentang Odyssey yang terkatung-katung muterin Yunani demi pulang ke kampung halamannya Ithaca yang dicintainya, yang terpaksa ditinggalinya demi berperang mengambil kembali Helen
dalam perjalanan pulang dia dikutuk dewa, jadilah dia ga pulang-pulang, dan muter-muter terdampar di berbagai tempat, bertemu segala macam makhluk - monster, dewa, dan macam-maca lagi -- ada cyclop, siren, scylla

lumayan seru kok, tapi ini buku anak-anak, jadi tulisannya gede-gede dan paragrafnya pun pendek-pendek
Evelyn
I gave this book four stars because I liked the way they described Odysseus and what he did. I also liked how the setting was being described and how the Gods and goddesses were shown.
Owen
It was pretty good, but I'm not going to read part 2.
  • The Revenge of Ishtar (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #2)
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
  • Boys Who Rocked The World: Heroes from King Tut to Bruce Lee
  • Pegasus
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • La Princesa Dragon/the Loathsome Dragon (Cuadrada)
  • The Trojan War
  • The Return from Troy
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • Gaby, Lost and Found
  • Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland
  • Greek Myths
  • King Arthur and His Knights (Children's Classics)
  • The Betrayal: The Lost Life of Jesus: A Novel
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Tales from the Odyssey (6 books)
  • The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)
  • The Land of the Dead (Tales from the Odyssey, #2)
  • Sirens and Sea Monsters (Tales from the Odyssey #3)
  • The Gray-Eyed Goddess (Tales from the Odyssey, #4)
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • The Final Battle (Tales from the Odyssey, #6)
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)