Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1

Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Giants and Cannibals!
Wonders and Witches!
One Amazing Hero.

Brave Odysseus is far from home, tossed by stormy seas, and cursed by an angry one-eyed giant. If he ever wants to see his family again, he will have to face hungry cannibals, outwit a beautiful witch, and sail past a six-headed serpent. His journey is the ultimate test of endurance and courage.

In this exciting se...more
Published May 4th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

Emily
When I was a child, you could get books from a series titled "Illustrated Classic Editions." These petite sized, very abridged versions of famous classic novels were intended for early readers. See them here: http://lostinthecloudblog.com/2010/08... I had a few as a child, and the ones my husband collected currently adorn our bookshelves. They include things like "David Copperfield" cut down to 238 4"x5" pages.

"Tales from the Odyssey" parts one and two remind me almost exactly of this book seri...more
Courtney
I understand these are written to be easily read. I just don't understand why easily read has to be so boring. It's the Odyssey! It should have some element of excitement! But it doesn't, at all.
Nathan
Feb 26, 2014 Nathan added it
On this book, TALES FROM THE ODYSSEY, I liked it more than I thought I would. after I read about 5 pages I really liked it. this was because i like book that have adventures in them and a quest to do anything, in this case it was trying to get back home. the way the author set up the book was great. he didn't jump straight to conclusion she made it smooth the way she changed from one thing to another. his was one of the best books i have read since this year and over the summer. after i finishe...more
Erin
This is the story of Odysseus and his fateful journey home from the Trojan War skillfully told by Mary Pope Osborn. This makes a great introduction to the ancient Greek epic. I would recommend this book to anyone studying the original. My son loves the stories. he gets all indignant every time Odysseus' men fail to follow his instructions. And he totally understands how unfair it is for the gods to punish everyone for the slightest infractions.
Jean-Marie
This is a perfect child-friendly version of Homer's The Odyssey. I read this aloud to my children (6 and 10) to complement our history lessons about ancient Greece. They both enjoyed the story, although I think the older child would have been further engaged with a more complex text, especially since she is the household expert on all things about Greek mythology. I recommend this for early elementary readers.
Lisa Singleterry
This is your typical Greek mythology sort of story. Maybe a little more dramatization in it, but really its just the usual. I do recommend reading this before the Percy Jackson books though...it will really explain Sea of Monsters to you.
Lucas
I'm not entirely sure that Homer's epic needed a retelling. It would appear this was meant to introduce the Odyssey to a younger audience. The sexual content is gone, but there is still a surprising amount of gore. All that being said, it's still a solid enough retelling. It also made me realize that I need to reread the original for personal reasons. Earlier this year I joked, not inaccurately, that I was working for Scylla and Charybdis. But now that this book has given me back some more memor...more
Chrissanfilippo
I chose this book because I wanted to read a good mythology book. This book is about a brave man named Odysseus who is trying to get home to his wife and son but has to face terrible beasts. My favorite quote is when Odysseus says, "No we cant give up now," This is my favorite quote because even though almost all his ships are destroyed and almost all his men are killed he wont quit till he reaches his home and his family. I thought the authors writing style was great she explained the story wel...more
Sanz
Read aloud to my 8, 6, & 3 year old sons. We all LOVED it! They often asked for more chapters. Looking forward to reading the next one.
Halle
I loved this book because it had monsters and creepy places and the author added lots of details and descriptions in the book.
Angelic Zaizai
Cerita tentang Odyssey yang terkatung-katung muterin Yunani demi pulang ke kampung halamannya Ithaca yang dicintainya, yang terpaksa ditinggalinya demi berperang mengambil kembali Helen
dalam perjalanan pulang dia dikutuk dewa, jadilah dia ga pulang-pulang, dan muter-muter terdampar di berbagai tempat, bertemu segala macam makhluk - monster, dewa, dan macam-maca lagi -- ada cyclop, siren, scylla

lumayan seru kok, tapi ini buku anak-anak, jadi tulisannya gede-gede dan paragrafnya pun pendek-pendek...more
Owen
It was pretty good, but I'm not going to read part 2.
Rhonda Zimlich
Girls and I both loved it. Easy read. Clear mythology.
Ebookwormy
Dec 23, 2011 Ebookwormy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Tapestry of Grace
Mary Pope Osborne offers a somewhat lighter telling of many stories of the Odyssey. My young students were attracted to the hero, Odysseus, engaged in his story and concerned for his well fare.

Parents will need to put the role of Greek gods and goddesses in perspective, and I definitely would be cautious in sharing this with a sensitive/ fearful child. Nonetheless, children who are ready for it will love the adventure, and be a little disappointed that Odysseus doesn't reach Ithaca safe and sou...more
Kari
Excited that this was picked for the Oregon Battle of the Books...my fav classic (okay, not in high school) is paired down to an exciting and simple version for young readers!
Claire
By the author of the Magic Tree House Series, this used to be a series of short volumes; (1-6) episodes in the Tales From the Odyssey. I loved these books, really bright 2nd graders would burn through them and reluctant 6th graders could be coaxed to read them one by one and get drawn into the adventure, really enjoying their reading.
Now these are small paperbacks the size of an accessible novel and remain popular.
Classic tales told by a writer who loves these stories.
Kate
As a re-telling of the Odyssey targeted toward elementary school aged kids, I think it does a great job. My 9 yr old son loved part one. He couldn't wait for reading time every day. It sounds like a lot of pages at 270, but it's relatively large type and double spaced. We easily read aloud 90+ pages in an hour's time at a leisurely dramatic reading rate.
Rebecca Heywood
I really liked this "dumbed down" version of the Odyssey. I have read the regular Odyssey and it took me a long time and I still didn't understand everything that happened. I like this version. It's more of a kid version, but that is okay. I also have the "kid" version of Tale of Two Cities that I really like.
Rebecca White
I read this series to the boys years ago (they were probably 5 and 3) and a second time as well. Currently they are reading them on their own and loving them (well, the 10 year old is). They are a great intro to the story of the Odyssey. Easy to read, nice graphics and entertaining!
I highly recommend them!
Michelle
Quinn and I are reading these together, and he chose the 5 stars. I love that the story of the Odyssey has been made so accessible to young boys (and girls) who love a good adventure story! We have just started Part 2, and we read to pg 52 in one sitting. Worth buying for your classroom!
Eric W
I gave this book three stars because I love action and adventure. There is a lot of action like him fighting a six headed sea monster witch he kills with a spear. This book is about Odyssey a Greek warrior who goes and fights the Trojans during the Trojan war.
Kevin
I am not an expert on the Odyssey, or Greek mythology, by any means but I thought the series was a well done children’s version of this epic tale.

More here

Halida
Homer's Odyssey made simple.
This book tells some parts of the Odyssey's adventure: his meeting with the Cyclops, Circe, the sirens and his landing in the island of Helios.
It's well written. It gives a good glimpse of the whats and whys in this epic.
Darlene De fina
I enjoyed Mary Pope Osborne's telling of The Odyssey. My 8 year old read this, and loved all the dangers Odysseus encountered on his voyage back to Ithaca. Definitely a well-written, simple version to get kids interested in Greek Mythology.
Kimmy
I am embarking on my own journey: to reread The Odyssey. I read this children's book to remind myself of the general plot before I start to read but it was surprisingly well written and enjoyable! Only took about an hour to read too!
Karin
I read this book with my kids and they were very much drawn into the story. I think Mary Pope Osborne does an excellent job with retelling the story of the adventures of Odysseus. I'm looking for the second book that completes the story.
ladydusk
Own.

We enjoyed reading this at breakfast time. The children liked the story and always asked for multiple chapters on days we read it.

We're reading Part 2 now, and looking forward to other children's versions of The Odyssey.
Nicholas Barcelona
I liked this better than the iliad, well, i guess so.
It's pretty good, though I haven't finished it yet, the second part, i mean.
I'm looking forward the, because I had much expectations on the second one, haha.
Chloe
this book was so fun.once you read it you cant stop reading it.you have to read this book and I think you would like it, too.
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
  • Pegasus
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • La Princesa Dragon/the Loathsome Dragon (Cuadrada)
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Greek Myths
  • The Dragon of Doom
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland
  • Homer's Daughter
  • The Betrayal: The Lost Life of Jesus: A Novel
  • Hades and the Helm of Darkness (Heroes in Training, #3)
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • Tanglewood Tales: A Wonder-Book for Girls and Boys
More about Mary Pope Osborne...
Dinosaurs Before Dark (Magic Tree House, #1) The Knight at Dawn (Magic Tree House, #2) Mummies in the Morning (Magic Tree House, #3) Pirates Past Noon (Magic Tree House, #4) Night of the Ninjas (Magic Tree House, #5)