Start by marking “Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Trade Bind-up)” as Want to Read:
Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Trade Bind-up)

Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1 (Tales from the Odyssey #1-3)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  503 Ratings  ·  88 Reviews
Giants and Cannibals!
Wonders and Witches!
One Amazing Hero.

Brave Odysseus is far from home, tossed by stormy seas, and cursed by an angry one-eyed giant. If he ever wants to see his family again, he will have to face hungry cannibals, outwit a beautiful witch, and sail past a six-headed serpent. His journey is the ultimate test of endurance and courage.

In this exciting se
Published May 4th 2010 by Disney-Hyperion

Nate
Jan 02, 2015 Nate rated it really liked it
Shelves: obob-2015, 2015
Tales from the Odyssey is a great introduction to Homer and Greek Mythology, and will give children an excellent foundation of knowledge. I also think this book will leave children with the desire to further pursue mythology and, who knows, maybe lead to them reading Homer one day. The only reason this isn't 5 stars is because this is only Part 1.

The spoilers below are notes for our OBOB team.

(view spoiler)
Emily
May 31, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
When I was a child, you could get books from a series titled "Illustrated Classic Editions." These petite sized, very abridged versions of famous classic novels were intended for early readers. See them here: http://lostinthecloudblog.com/2010/08... I had a few as a child, and the ones my husband collected currently adorn our bookshelves. They include things like "David Copperfield" cut down to 238 4"x5" pages.

"Tales from the Odyssey" parts one and two remind me almost exactly of this book seri
Crusoe
Oct 30, 2014 Crusoe rated it really liked it
The book Tales From The Odyssey is a book that will hook on to you and never let you stop reading. Tales From The Odyssey will make you have pity, chills, and even give you thrills. This book has excitement, chills, bravery, and adventure. this book will keep you reading and saying,"One more page, Please," when your mom calls you up for dinner. this book is one of my favorite books i have ever read. This book is good for people who like action and adventure.
Faisal AlAbdulhadi
Oct 24, 2015 Faisal AlAbdulhadi rated it it was amazing
An entertaining trio of retellings of the Odyssey. Mary Pope Osborne is my childhood author.
Jun 24, 2015 Sarah rated it it was amazing
I have a special, English-major compartment in my heart for The Iliad so I figured the action-packed stories I had heard one-off of the Odyssey in a kid-friendly version would be perfect for my elementary school-aged boys. I was right! My boys still talk about many of the adventures of Odysseus from this version and part 2, and frankly, it's just plain awesome in my mind to go on to read things like Oliver Twist, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, The Call of the Wild, The Red Badge of Courage, etc. ...more
Courtney
Sep 01, 2014 Courtney rated it it was ok
Shelves: obob
I understand these are written to be easily read. I just don't understand why easily read has to be so boring. It's the Odyssey! It should have some element of excitement! But it doesn't, at all.
Nathan
Feb 26, 2014 Nathan added it
On this book, TALES FROM THE ODYSSEY, I liked it more than I thought I would. after I read about 5 pages I really liked it. this was because i like book that have adventures in them and a quest to do anything, in this case it was trying to get back home. the way the author set up the book was great. he didn't jump straight to conclusion she made it smooth the way she changed from one thing to another. his was one of the best books i have read since this year and over the summer. after i finishe ...more
Rodney Harvill
Dec 06, 2015 Rodney Harvill rated it liked it
Shelves: mythology
This book isa version of the Odyssey edited to achieve a primary school reading level. To support our homeschooling effort, my wife asked me to read this book to our daughter. Of course, with my work schedule, this meant reading to her just before bedtime. Some comforting and relaxing scenes from this book have so far included:

- The Greeks sack and burn Troy.
- The cyclops Polyphemus smashes a half dozen of Odysseus' men to death and eats them raw.
- Cannibal giants hurl boulders at most of Odysse
Christina Potter Bieloh
Sep 05, 2015 Christina Potter Bieloh rated it it was amazing
Davey loves mythology, and I was thrilled when I found this version of The Odyssey. We had more fun reading this book. It is greatly simplified for young readers, but the story is still intense. We often grew frustrated with the decisions Odysseus made; we yelled at him several times! "Nooooo!"

I have not read The Odyssey so I loved experiencing it for the first time with Davey. Part 2 arrived in the mail yesterday, and we can't wait to start it!
Lizeth
Feb 18, 2015 Lizeth rated it liked it
I rated this book 3 stars because although I did enjoy it I felt that everything happened too fast for so many years that Odysseus was on his journey.After all that happen he didn't go home to his family which made it seem like forever but this gives more reason to continue the story.I did like reading about his adventures in fighting all those different monsters.I need a bit more clarification because I was a bit confused in the part where he went to the land of the dead did he go there physica ...more
Jean-Marie
This is a perfect child-friendly version of Homer's The Odyssey. I read this aloud to my children (6 and 10) to complement our history lessons about ancient Greece. They both enjoyed the story, although I think the older child would have been further engaged with a more complex text, especially since she is the household expert on all things about Greek mythology. I recommend this for early elementary readers.
Sarahi
Feb 18, 2015 Sarahi rated it liked it
I give the book three stars it was a good book but sometimes it didn't catch my interest. But what did catch my attention was when in the beginning of the book they made a wooden horse to try to get Helen out. It was fun to her everything they did to try to prepare for their action and see them accomplish it. That's what I enjoyed must. I also like how loving he was to his family he would do anything for them to be with them and that just showed a different side of him.
Oct 22, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Elementary OBOB, book 13. The feel of the book kept true to the Odyssey but with elementary kids in mind. Osborne put things together in an interesting, well organized way and had all her tales well documented. I think she is an amazing author for kids. She tells great stories but also gets the facts right.
Rachel Roberts
Nov 05, 2015 Rachel Roberts rated it really liked it
Shelves: 10-15-literature
2010
Traditional Literature
Took an advanced reading series and made it kid friendly. The journeys that Odysseus goes on are action packed and brutal. Teaches good life lessons about following directions and consequences. My favorite story was the One-Eyed Giant and the plan to get out of the Giant's Cave.. It's very clever to tell the giant that his name was 'No One.'
Joshua Merino
Feb 18, 2015 Joshua Merino rated it it was amazing
What I thought of this book was pretty great. I do like to read about mythical creatures and gods. I would recommend this book to people who are interested in adventures and gods. The fighting in this book was also great to and was exciting to read to see what would happen next. As the story ends I wanted to read move on to part 2 which I will read next and continue on the great adventure of odyssey.
Saul
Feb 18, 2015 Saul rated it it was ok
I gave it 2 stars because this book was really confusing. I didn't get one part of it. I thought it would be an easier read for me but it wasn't. I did like how brave Odysseus was. In one of the parts where he was fighting Scylla. Also how he beat the witch and the Cyclops. It was interesting to see how he and his team did it together. Furthermore, this is why I ranked this book 2 stars.
Feb 15, 2015 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book was a great way to expose curious kids to the classic by Homer. Because of the Percy Jackson series the kids are captivated with Greek Mythology. This book exposes them to the classic without having to struggle with the complexity of Homer poem.
Lisa Singleterry
Jun 05, 2014 Lisa Singleterry rated it liked it
This is your typical Greek mythology sort of story. Maybe a little more dramatization in it, but really its just the usual. I do recommend reading this before the Percy Jackson books though...it will really explain Sea of Monsters to you.
Selena
Feb 18, 2015 Selena rated it liked it
What I liked most about the book "Tales from the Odyssey, Part 1" was how the setting was being describing here and there. Giving us, the readers an imagination of how it would look if we were in the story. Also, I liked how some parts of the book showed how Odyssey could be brave at some points through out the book and then not so brave in others.
Lucas
Sep 06, 2012 Lucas rated it really liked it
I'm not entirely sure that Homer's epic needed a retelling. It would appear this was meant to introduce the Odyssey to a younger audience. The sexual content is gone, but there is still a surprising amount of gore. All that being said, it's still a solid enough retelling. It also made me realize that I need to reread the original for personal reasons. Earlier this year I joked, not inaccurately, that I was working for Scylla and Charybdis. But now that this book has given me back some more memor ...more
Angelica Calzada
Feb 18, 2015 Angelica Calzada rated it liked it
This books makes kind of sad at times. Poor Odyssey seems to never find his way home to his wife and son from his journey. However i find it pretty cool that he has had to go though a lot of task i order to get home. Like visiting the land of the dead. It really shows how determine he is to get home.
Emi
Sep 20, 2015 Emi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Good introduction to Odyssey for young children. My boys enjoyed at ages 5-6 (which inspired one to go on to read the unabridged Homer). Read at bedtime to my 6-year-old daughter who can't wait for Part 2.
Julia
Feb 18, 2015 Julia rated it really liked it
I like the book because I like the plot and the order in which that they chose to set up the book.As well as because the title is a good title to describe the book because it is a very good and entertaining book. I also recommend it to people who like the Odyssey because it is a simple book to help you understand it better.
Chrissanfilippo
Dec 15, 2013 Chrissanfilippo rated it really liked it
I chose this book because I wanted to read a good mythology book. This book is about a brave man named Odysseus who is trying to get home to his wife and son but has to face terrible beasts. My favorite quote is when Odysseus says, "No we cant give up now," This is my favorite quote because even though almost all his ships are destroyed and almost all his men are killed he wont quit till he reaches his home and his family. I thought the authors writing style was great she explained the story wel ...more
Lavaris
Feb 18, 2015 Lavaris rated it it was ok
It was Okay because i some parts i did not like when i first start reading it. i said i did not like it but when it got to the middle in the end i start to like it because it start telling me a lot what was going on like why odyssey wanted to go back home in he had to fight them monsters on his way home
Sanz
Aug 19, 2014 Sanz rated it it was amazing
Read aloud to my 8, 6, & 3 year old sons. We all LOVED it! They often asked for more chapters. Looking forward to reading the next one.
I was impressed by the reading level and attention to detail that make this version engaging and rich to read at the 3-5th grade level.
Angel
Feb 18, 2015 Angel rated it it was amazing
I like this book a lot but its sad at the same time because all of his men had died and he's traveling alone and his ship got wreck so now he's in a island alone. I would recomend this book to my uncle because he likes reading these kind of books and i think he will enjoy it.
Juan
Feb 18, 2015 Juan rated it liked it
I thought this book was kinda good because i'm a big fan of greek Gods. I didn't like how Mary Pope Osborne included other stories in the book. I would of liked it if she just wrote it as a big book instead of putting it into different books.
Halle
Aug 15, 2014 Halle rated it it was amazing
I loved this book because it had monsters and creepy places and the author added lots of details and descriptions in the book.
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Oh My Gods!: A Look-It-Up Guide to the Gods of Mythology (Mythlopedia)
  • Boys Who Rocked The World: Heroes from King Tut to Bruce Lee
  • The Twelve Dancing Princesses
  • Pegasus
  • La Princesa Dragon/the Loathsome Dragon (Cuadrada)
  • The Trojan War
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • The Return from Troy
  • The Children's Homer: The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy
  • The Wanderings of Odysseus: The Story of "The Odyssey"
  • Written in Bone: Buried Lives of Jamestown and Colonial Maryland
  • The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus
  • Age Of Bronze Volume 3A: Betrayal (Part One)
  • Rome Antics
  • Ms. Frizzle's Adventures: Ancient Egypt
  • Glade (The Dragons of Wayward Crescent, #3)
More about Mary Pope Osborne...

Tales from the Odyssey (6 books)
  • The One-Eyed Giant (Tales from the Odyssey, #1)
  • The Land of the Dead (Tales from the Odyssey, #2)
  • Sirens and Sea Monsters (Tales from the Odyssey #3)
  • The Gray-Eyed Goddess (Tales from the Odyssey, #4)
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • The Final Battle (Tales from the Odyssey, #6)