Start by marking “Three Novels of the Future” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Three Novels of the Fu...

H.G. Wells

Three Novels of the Future

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  7 reviews
The Time Machine
The Time Machine is generally credited with the popularisation of the concept of time travel using a vehicle that allows an operator to travel purposefully and selectively. The term "time machine", coined by Wells, is now universally used to refer to such a vehicle. Wells also introduced the idea of time being the "fourth dimension".

War of the Worlds
This st
Published 1979 by International Collectors Library (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Three Novels of the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novels of the Future

Reese
In H.g. Wells novel, War Of The Worlds, it gives you so many different types of content to read about. Aliens and spaceships are something that most people are not used to reading about. Not many people know about extraterrestrial life and even though this is fiction it is still wrote in a way that makes it seem as though it could be real. Within the first few chapters you start to realize that an alien invasion is happening and you’re not expecting how they start out.
H.G. Wells was for the mo
Varad
I didn't like The Invisible Man as much I liked War of the Worlds and The Time Machine because the story is even more elementary than it is in those books, and because the conceit at its heart isn't as interesting.

As is usual with Wells, the story he tells is a cautionary tale. Its message: the gifts of science cannot overcome the frailties of men's moral and physical characters. There is a section about two thirds of the way through the book where the antihero of the story, Griffin, the Invisib
Lauren
Jun 24, 2012 Lauren rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only science fiction fans
Unfortunately, I find myself tiring of H.G. Wells and thus my reading pace is slowed. This combined with that I will be leaving the state in which this library book is from means that I will not be able to finish the third and final book within this collection: The War of the Worlds. Hence why this book is in the "did-not-finish" shelf. First I will address The Time Machine and then I will discuss The Invisible Man.

The Time Machine follows the narration of the Time Traveler to his guests, whic

Arya
From this novel, I read its 1ST story, The Time Machine, who, in the book, is only referred to as the Time Traveler. I'm not sure if his actual name was ever mentioned. It was the only 1 of H.G. Wells's edition that I could find with this story in it. The story is about a noble man (the Time Traveler), rather a scientist, who lives in what's now a year of the past. On a cold winter's night, he sits by the hearth in his house, having an intelligent conversation with some old acquaintances, trying ...more
Johnny Galt
Amazing collection of the three best known stories by H.G. Wells, a recognized pioneer of the science fiction genre. It is mind blowing to think he wrote these stories before the turn of the 1900's, a time before airplanes, modern warfare, and space travel.
Molly
I had never read "The War of the Worlds" before, which given my love of sci-fi and apocalyptic literature was an oversight. Embarrassingly I didn't really know the time period of HG Wells - it's almost as if the Martians landed in the first season of Downton Abbey. I really enjoyed reading it and comparing it to the movie versions.
The other two tales, I'm glad to have read, but Margaret Drabble's introduction is correct when she talks about how implausible they are from a scientific point of vi
Cyndi
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Rhiannon
Rhiannon marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
JkW
JkW marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
The Sterlings
The Sterlings marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Ran
Ran marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Haris
Haris marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Chenny
Chenny marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Derrick Turner
Derrick Turner marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Roxanna
Roxanna marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Cassie
Cassie marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Kristy
Kristy added it
Jul 07, 2015
Sarah Jobe
Sarah Jobe marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde and Other Stories
  • Three Hainish Novels (Hainish Cycle, #1-3)
  • Plays, Prose Writings and Poems
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Ghost Stories
  • Christmas Stories
  • Extraordinary Voyages: Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas  (Library of Wonder)
  • War And Peace: 3 Volumes (Everyman's Library Classics)
  • The Complete Henry Bech
  • Collected Stories
  • The Complete Tales of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The African Trilogy
  • The Best of Wodehouse: An Anthology
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...
The Time Machine The War of the Worlds The Invisible Man The Island of Dr. Moreau The Time Machine/The Invisible Man