Start by marking “Three Novels of the Future” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Three Novels of the Fu...

H.G. Wells

Three Novels of the Future

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  228 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
The Time Machine
The Time Machine is generally credited with the popularisation of the concept of time travel using a vehicle that allows an operator to travel purposefully and selectively. The term "time machine", coined by Wells, is now universally used to refer to such a vehicle. Wells also introduced the idea of time being the "fourth dimension".

War of the Worlds
This st
Published 1979 by International Collectors Library (first published January 1st 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Three Novels of the Future, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three Novels of the Future

Reese
May 20, 2015 Reese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In H.g. Wells novel, War Of The Worlds, it gives you so many different types of content to read about. Aliens and spaceships are something that most people are not used to reading about. Not many people know about extraterrestrial life and even though this is fiction it is still wrote in a way that makes it seem as though it could be real. Within the first few chapters you start to realize that an alien invasion is happening and you’re not expecting how they start out.
H.G. Wells was for the mo
Varad
Apr 03, 2015 Varad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like The Invisible Man as much I liked War of the Worlds and The Time Machine because the story is even more elementary than it is in those books, and because the conceit at its heart isn't as interesting.

As is usual with Wells, the story he tells is a cautionary tale. Its message: the gifts of science cannot overcome the frailties of men's moral and physical characters. There is a section about two thirds of the way through the book where the antihero of the story, Griffin, the Invisib
Lauren
Jun 24, 2012 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: only science fiction fans
Unfortunately, I find myself tiring of H.G. Wells and thus my reading pace is slowed. This combined with that I will be leaving the state in which this library book is from means that I will not be able to finish the third and final book within this collection: The War of the Worlds. Hence why this book is in the "did-not-finish" shelf. First I will address The Time Machine and then I will discuss The Invisible Man.

The Time Machine follows the narration of the Time Traveler to his guests, whic

Arya
Jan 11, 2013 Arya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
From this novel, I read its 1ST story, The Time Machine, who, in the book, is only referred to as the Time Traveler. I'm not sure if his actual name was ever mentioned. It was the only 1 of H.G. Wells's edition that I could find with this story in it. The story is about a noble man (the Time Traveler), rather a scientist, who lives in what's now a year of the past. On a cold winter's night, he sits by the hearth in his house, having an intelligent conversation with some old acquaintances, trying ...more
Johnny Galt
Sep 12, 2010 Johnny Galt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing collection of the three best known stories by H.G. Wells, a recognized pioneer of the science fiction genre. It is mind blowing to think he wrote these stories before the turn of the 1900's, a time before airplanes, modern warfare, and space travel.
Molly
Jan 17, 2015 Molly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read "The War of the Worlds" before, which given my love of sci-fi and apocalyptic literature was an oversight. Embarrassingly I didn't really know the time period of HG Wells - it's almost as if the Martians landed in the first season of Downton Abbey. I really enjoyed reading it and comparing it to the movie versions.
The other two tales, I'm glad to have read, but Margaret Drabble's introduction is correct when she talks about how implausible they are from a scientific point of vi
Chrisbaker811
Nov 11, 2013 Chrisbaker811 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such cool stories.
Mary Catherine
Mary Catherine marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Gabrielle Himschoot
Gabrielle Himschoot marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Mason
Mason marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Dotsie Row
Dotsie Row marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Stewart Whitman
Stewart Whitman marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Georgina
Georgina marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jared
Jared added it
Jul 01, 2016
Kathy Edgren
Kathy Edgren marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Raffaello Palandri
Raffaello Palandri rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Jeanne Pearce
Jeanne Pearce rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
William W Horner
William W Horner rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Sandro Dogonadze
Sandro Dogonadze marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Max Wallace
Max Wallace marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Guy
Guy marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Wolf
Wolf rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Ada
Ada marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Jenny H
Jenny H marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Mary Benson
Mary Benson marked it as to-read
May 30, 2016
Phil Ryan
Phil Ryan rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2016
  • Shirley & The Professor
  • Plays, Prose Writings and Poems
  • The Lady in the Lake, The Little Sister, The Long Goodbye, Playback (Everyman's Library)
  • Extraordinary Voyages: Around the World in Eighty Days, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Seas
  • The Transylvanian Trilogy, Volumes II & III: They Were Found Wanting, They Were Divided
  • Ideas of the Great Philosophers
  • The Complete Works
  • Bedtime Stories
  • The African Trilogy
  • Flashman, Flash for Freedom!, Flashman in the Great Game
  • There Hangs the Knife (Joanna Stark, #2)
  • Ghost Stories
  • My Favorite Summer 1956
  • The Complete Henry Bech
  • Wolf Pass
  • UNIX for Dummies
  • The Sonnets and Narrative Poems
  • Design for Great-Day
In 1866, (Herbert George) H.G. Wells was born to a working class family in Kent, England. Young Wells received a spotty education, interrupted by several illnesses and family difficulties, and became a draper's apprentice as a teenager. The headmaster of Midhurst Grammar School, where he had spent a year, arranged for him to return as an "usher," or student teacher. Wells earned a government schol ...more
More about H.G. Wells...