Start by marking “By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design” as Want to Read:
By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design

By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  6 reviews
We all know we're not supposed to judge books by their covers, but the truth is that we do just that nearly every time we walk into a bookstore or pull a book off a tightly packed shelf. It's really not something we should be ashamed about, for it reinforces something we sincerely believe: design matters. At its best, book cover design is an art that transcends the publish ...more
Published August 11th 2005 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about By Its Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Its Cover

Cara
I was hoping for theoretical stuff: "here's what makes a good book cover design." Instead, it's more art history/appreciation: "here are some good book cover designs! And some bad ones!" There is arty blah-blah about why they're good or bad, but so far, it's not generalizing for me, other than that the bad ones are bland and unoriginal.

So far, I've learned that I pretty much hate modernism, except Alvin Lustig. I like nearly all of his covers. Hoping to enjoy the later chapters more.

On the othe
Leighwoosey
I had the definite sense that this is a pretty write up of someone's PHD. And it is pretty, lavishing whole pages onto single covers, plenty of lead and contemporary URL inspired bold-blue emphasis in the text. It is a useful and detailed overview of the subject. It had a refreshing look at postmodernism, but broke no new ground, despite casting away the shadows of history from this particular area.
Tosh
A very well edited book on what is dear to me. Book covers. And here we have a lot of samples of great covers from the past - all American publications.

I have a collection of books that deals with book covers - and I think my favorite are the French, Japanese, and Dutch. The Americans were good as well. But during the 70's it got really boring for some reason.
Karl
Great reference material, but suffers under the texts selfish blather. I'd recommend anyone flip through it, but never suggest they try to actually read it.

Some really beautiful examples though, particularly through the 50s and 60s.
Tiffanie
I've been reading a few books recently on Book Cover Design for my Adv. Type class. It's dry but the reference material is helpful. Not a lot to read but a lot to look at!
Daniel Swann
Daniel Swann is currently reading it
Dec 27, 2014
Rosella
Rosella marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Alex Gilbert
Alex Gilbert marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Meghan
Meghan marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Jessica Robinson
Jessica Robinson marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Di
Di marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Mcromano
Mcromano marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Christian
Christian is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2014
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Cristina Garcia
Cristina Garcia marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Marie Ortiz
Marie Ortiz marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Cláudia Pereira
Cláudia Pereira marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Adan M Garcia
Adan M Garcia is currently reading it
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)
  • Book One: Work, 1986-2006
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • The Anatomy of Type
  • A History of Illuminated Manuscripts
  • New Masters of Poster Design: Poster Design for the Next Century
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • Portraits of the Mind: Visualizing the Brain from Antiquity to the 21st Century
  • D.I.Y.: Design It Yourself: A Design Handbook
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
Purity of Aim: The Book Jacket Desighs of Alvin Lustig Modern American Book Cover Design: By Its Cover By Its Cover Design Education In Progress: Process And Methodology, Volume 2 Type And Image