Start by marking “By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design” as Want to Read:
By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design

By Its Cover: Modern American Book Cover Design

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  6 reviews
We all know we're not supposed to judge books by their covers, but the truth is that we do just that nearly every time we walk into a bookstore or pull a book off a tightly packed shelf. It's really not something we should be ashamed about, for it reinforces something we sincerely believe: design matters. At its best, book cover design is an art that transcends the publish ...more
Published August 11th 2005 by Princeton Architectural Press

To ask other readers questions about By Its Cover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Its Cover

Cara
I was hoping for theoretical stuff: "here's what makes a good book cover design." Instead, it's more art history/appreciation: "here are some good book cover designs! And some bad ones!" There is arty blah-blah about why they're good or bad, but so far, it's not generalizing for me, other than that the bad ones are bland and unoriginal.

So far, I've learned that I pretty much hate modernism, except Alvin Lustig. I like nearly all of his covers. Hoping to enjoy the later chapters more.

On the othe
Leighwoosey
I had the definite sense that this is a pretty write up of someone's PHD. And it is pretty, lavishing whole pages onto single covers, plenty of lead and contemporary URL inspired bold-blue emphasis in the text. It is a useful and detailed overview of the subject. It had a refreshing look at postmodernism, but broke no new ground, despite casting away the shadows of history from this particular area.
Tosh
A very well edited book on what is dear to me. Book covers. And here we have a lot of samples of great covers from the past - all American publications.

I have a collection of books that deals with book covers - and I think my favorite are the French, Japanese, and Dutch. The Americans were good as well. But during the 70's it got really boring for some reason.
Karl
Great reference material, but suffers under the texts selfish blather. I'd recommend anyone flip through it, but never suggest they try to actually read it.

Some really beautiful examples though, particularly through the 50s and 60s.
Tiffanie
I've been reading a few books recently on Book Cover Design for my Adv. Type class. It's dry but the reference material is helpful. Not a lot to read but a lot to look at!
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Pallavi
Pallavi is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2015
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
alex neuro
alex neuro marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Abby
Abby marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Ann Verdine
Ann Verdine marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2015
Alfredo Salcedo
Alfredo Salcedo marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Beda Buechi
Beda Buechi marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
booklearner
booklearner marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Gary Hoggatt
Gary Hoggatt marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Kme_17
Kme_17 marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Rambling Reader
Rambling Reader marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Rafsan Jaman
Rafsan Jaman marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Mark Thompson
Mark Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
  • Penguin by Design: A Cover Story 1935-2005
  • Penguin 75: Designers, Authors, Commentary (the Good, the Bad . . .)
  • Book One: Work, 1986-2006
  • New Vintage Type: Classic Fonts for the Digital Age
  • Bookcraft: Techniques for Binding, Folding, and Decorating to Create Books and More
  • Sagmeister: Made You Look
  • How to Make Books: Fold, Cut & Stitch Your Way to a One-of-a-Kind Book
  • Form of the Book: Essays on the Morality of Good Design
  • The Book as Art: Artists' Books from the National Museum of Women in the Arts
  • Re-Bound: Creating Handmade Books from Recycled and Repurposed Materials
  • Hand Job: A Catalog of Type
  • Non-Adhesive Binding: Books Without Paste or Glue
  • D.I.Y.: Design It Yourself: A Design Handbook
  • Cover to Cover: Creative Techniques for Making Beautiful Books, Journals & Albums
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Graphic Design, Referenced: A Visual Guide to the Language, Applications, and History of Graphic Design
  • Meggs' History of Graphic Design
  • Making Handmade Books: 100+ Bindings, Structures & Forms
Purity of Aim: The Book Jacket Designs of Alvin Lustig Modern American Book Cover Design: By Its Cover By Its Cover Design Education In Progress: Process And Methodology, Volume 2 Type And Image