Start by marking “Downsize This!: Random Threats from an Unarmed American” as Want to Read:
Downsize This!: Random Threats from an Unarmed American

Downsize This!: Random Threats from an Unarmed American

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  3,932 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Americans today are working harder, working longer and yet for most of us, in this time of ruthless downsizing and political cronyism, job security, a decent standard of living and a comfortable retirement are becoming harder and harder to find. In this brilliantly funny and right-on-target diatribe, irreverent everyman Michael Moore gives his own bold views on who's behin ...more
Published August 12th 1997 by Harper Perennial (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Downsize This!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Downsize This!

Olethros
-Dieciocho años después poco ha cambiado, y si lo ha hecho ha sido muchas veces a peor.-

Género. Ensayo.

Lo que nos cuenta. Revisión inmisericorde de la política gubernamental y empresarial (y más concretamente de sus protagonistas) estadounidense durante la última mitad de los años ochenta y la primera de los noventa que cambió los paradigmas y las vidas de muchas personas en los USA. Poseo la traducción de la edición revisada y con nuevos contenidos de 1997.

¿Quiere saber más de este libro, sin s
Bryan
Jul 03, 2010 Bryan added it
Back When Moore Had a Real Issue......: This is from an era where Micheal Moore actually made valid points. I'm a Republican, but I'm also a Christian. That means I believe that people are supposed to give a darn about something besides just money. Greed and heartlessness in the corporate world are very real... though I'm a capitalist, this greed thing is something that I struggle with. There are folks who lose their jobs for no reason at all, hard working people with nowhere to go.

It's not rig
Kyra
This book was amongst a pile my college was purging from their library for 25 cents. I figured, since I'm a political science major, I should probably read this. And now I can say that I read it. It was a struggle to finish this book, but somehow I managed. I'll admit, I'm not the target audience- I will probably never agree with almost any of Mr. Moore's viewpoints. So it was systematic going through each chapter- "No, I don't agree," "I still don't agree," "I think you're wrong there too," "I ...more
Tinka
“Our Citizens Are Armed and They Like To Shoot”

Michael Moore is probably the one man half of America loves and the other half wants to chase out of the country with pitchforks. But hey that’s kind of the thing when polarize, especially with political statements.

I think Michael Moore is an intelligent and funny man and I enjoy reading his stuff and watching his movies. Well this book is not what you would call ‘up to date’. It was first published in 1996 and a second time around 2002. I found i
Kris
3.5 STARS

"Americans today are working harder, working longer and yet for most of us, in this time of ruthless downsizing and political cronyism, job security, a decent standard of living and a comfortable retirement are becoming harder and harder to find. In this brilliantly funny and right-on-target diatribe, irreverent everyman Michael Moore gives his own bold views on who's behind the fading of the American dream.

Whether issuing Corporate Crook trading cards, organizing a Rodney King Commemor
L
His talent and good sense of balancing irony and sarcasm with social issues makes him one of the few good writers nowadays in this subject area.
Travelin
Michael Moore does pay teams of fact checkers to ensure he doesn't end up financially beholden to any number of subjects who want his blood. He exaggerates and takes cuts at self-important frauds, but he hasn't been found guilty of falsifying facts against anyone litigious yet, to my knowledge.

As he tells people time and again, he grew up working class Irish-Catholic. This comes out as someone who wants central authorities, especially companies, to do more, while insisting that everyone should b
David Sarkies
Nov 03, 2014 David Sarkies rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Probably a bit obsolete now
Recommended to David by: I was going to read it anyway
Shelves: politics
Michael Moore takes a swing at corporate America
12 May 2012

I picked up this book probably within the first few months of getting my first fulltime, degree related job. Going from unemployment benefits to a steady wage at the time felt like rivers of gold had opened up and started pouring wealth onto me, and unfortunately I ended up spending it as if it was limitless. One of the things that I began doing was buying lots of books that I had never had the opportunity of being able to afford previo
The Treeman
Criticizing America is not a new thing. The strength and weaknesses of america has been quite clear for a very long time. I am not sure if I am the correct person to really review a book that doesn't live in america and can directly relate to all he is refering too but I still feel that I can at least understand his criticism through the books I have read about american history and society.

However, as much as I want to love his book I can't. The main issue is that I am never sure when Moore is
Hai Quan
While I agree with most of his main points, being a Viet-namese ( Hey the world ! this is the correct form, not Vietnamese ! Why we gave the American a superior power to do everything for us, including Americanize our country name and hence our people name , for the life of me, I do not understand ! ) I am most interested in Chapter 23 : THOSE KEYSTONE CUBANS.

I am even so enthralled after I had severely criticized Mirta Ojito 's memoir FINDING MA~NANA , to know that I was right all along ! Accor
Travis L. Poland
Jan 03, 2008 Travis L. Poland rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Michael Moore Fanboys
Okay, I admit it. I'm a big, fat, Michael Moore Fanboy. It feels good to get that off my chest. I generally agree with almost everything he tries to say in his films and books, but what I like most is how he frames the discussion. It's easy to become a pompous pundit blow-hard covering such topics, and your local Barnes and Noble or Borders is full of them. Michael Moore, however, is like talking to the funny fat guy at work on a smoke break. His dry sarcasm, and plain-spoken questioning style c ...more
Alan Ruckers
It took me a while to get around to this book even though I'd heard of it for a long time. It has a lot of truth to it. Why can't we pay all the workers a correct wage? Or an honorable wage? It seems like there are a lot of problems with the country that need a fixing. Moore is daring for trying to figure it out.
David Malantic
Can't decide between 3 & 4 stars. This is my favorite written work from the iconoclastic MM. Its content is quite provocative and insightful yet it is far too desultory to be considered a masterpiece; this is the same criticism I would level at "Slaughterhouse Five" for example, which is a far better book. However, politically, it's a must read. Released after his excellent, focused "Roger & Me," it was written during a more innocent time, linking his thoughts on Reaganomics, corporate d ...more
Brendan Spaar
Michael Moore is as hardhitting in his writing as he is on camera.Reading this book gives you insight into the corporate thinking that goes on behind the scenes.There's no sugar coating in this book.
Jeff
As a two-time victim of corporate (once non-profit greed), I found it easy to read and found myself getting even more angry! But unfortunately it's the same old story, greed is the basis of pretty much all economic problems, and the march of progress is kicking us all lifeless.

But hey, we know the world is greedy, yet nothing seems to change. So despite resonating with the content, there's not much more here than a rant by Moore, who admitedly can be arrogant when he wants to be. But he at leas
Tony
Find Moore to be an interesting character who writes from a different perspective. Not my favorite among his writings yet entertaining & thought provoking.
John Brugge
Good set of essays on all the things you can get mad about and laugh about, looking at the world of politics and business from the outside. It doesn't take a whole lot to point ou absurdities in the system, but few do it as well and as sharply as Moore.

His e-mails to his list tell that his latest book, "Stupid White Men", was almost shredded instead of being published after 9/11 because of fears of offending sensitivities and "national unity." Instead, it shot to #1 on Amazon. An excellent antid
Nicole Yovanoff
I really enjoyed this book. Wanted to read it years ago, but never had the chance and only finally got a copy on the cheap.

It was also good that I got to see a pre-9/11 perspective of the world's economy. Very funny at times with "radical" approached to solving the economic situation in the US, I found it even more funny on his jokes on abortions and rape from the right. At the time the right was less socially less extreme and Moore made jokes about ridiculous views on rape and abortion, which
Krista
So why read a 1996 book about politics in 2013? I'm not sure either, but when I saw this book in a friend's box of books to donate, it seemed to call out to me. And I'm glad I decided to read it. A lot has changed since 1996, but it's actually a little shocking how much actually hasn't. And while I don't agree with all of Michael Moore's essays, he certainly has an interesting way of writing about things! An entertaining and somewhat bittersweet look back at the way things were (and, sadly, in m ...more
Suzanne Macdowell
Today, more than we have in a very long time, we need to read this book and remind ourselves of the link between mass murders, for example Timothy McVey, and a horrible economy. McVey bombed the Oklahoma City FBI Building during the last really bad economy and how we have this current tragedy. I find it sad, however, that Mr. Moore is silent how that it is a Democratic President who is failing to address the economic issues that are putting our country at risk for tragedies such as this.
Jaime
It's actually surprising when this book was written almost 15 years ago and America seems to be stuck in the same rut of corporate greed. Good book, political references are a little out of date right now but a lot of the sad truths are still relevant. Especially lack of health care, jobs being shipped out of the country and corporate greed
Laksmi
Maybe just Michael Wore who know how to critcize his own country in a fun way.

in this book, he rumble to the crimes that was done by big corporates wich made thousand unemployment in US while the goverment up there was spoiling all those big babies for their own sakes.

funny and entertaining.

Amy Wolf
As one who has been downsized at least three times (the worst being Washington Mutual) I can fully appreciate the sentiments behind this book. I do think that Moore is a publicity-hound, but he does make some extremely valid points. Saw him speak in Seattle & he is uncompromising in his views.
David Goodberg
This book is a gem. Sure, I read it over 10 years ago, but it's one of those important books that everyone shold read and it really sticks! This is a very early work of his, before he got all soapy and crazy. It focuses on corporate crime and what big buasinesses are easily getting away with.
Peter
Argues (humorously and I think convincingly) that corporations should be required to be "good corporate citizens," prohibited from posting record profits that don't lead to higher salaries, laying off large numbers of employees without compensating the communities they affect, etc.
Erik Graff
Sep 16, 2011 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Americans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
I've always enjoyed Michael Moore's films and books--even the one episode I saw of his short-lived television program. It is a pleasant change to occasionally review the matters he discusses with some humor.

I was, incidentally, downsized myself and appreciate his concern.
Tony Bake
If there is one thing worse than Michael Moore's "documentaries," it's his writing. Simply horrible. And those were my thoughts when I still liked him and before I figured out that he is a fraud. Michael Moore...the Sean Hannity of the left. They are both pathetic hacks.
Derek Baldwin
When I wasn't famous, part 952.... Read this after seeing Michael Moore's BBC2 series years ago, and the film whose name I've forgotten, Someone-or-other And Me, about car industry. That was refreshing, and said things that needed to be said. So does this book.
Toni
I learned the way things are run in this country. This book is the reason I started paying attention to politics. After reading this book and learning of corporate welfare, I decided I would start voting when the candidates started talking about this issue.
  • Rush Limbaugh Is A Big Fat Idiot
  • Bushwhacked: Life in George W. Bush's America
  • The Best Democracy Money Can Buy
  • Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate
  • New Rules: Polite Musings from a Timid Observer
  • Rogue States: The Rule of Force in World Affairs
  • Dreaming War: Blood for Oil and the Cheney-Bush Junta
  • Rogue State: A Guide to the World's Only Superpower
  • Spychips: How Major Corporations and Government Plan to Track Your Every Move with RFID
  • Heroes
  • Homegrown Democrat: A Few Plain Thoughts from the Heart of America
  • You Can't Be Neutral on a Moving Train: A Personal History of Our Times
  • The People’s Manifesto
  • Ganz unten: Mit einer Dokumentation der Folgen
  • Spies for Hire: The Secret World of Intelligence Outsourcing
  • George W. Bushisms: The Slate Book of Accidental Wit and Wisdom of Our 43rd President
  • Live from Death Row
  • Liberty and Freedom: A Visual History of America's Founding Ideals

Michael Moore is an American filmmaker, author and liberal political commentator. He is the director and producer of Bowling for Columbine, Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, and Capitalism: A Love Story, four of the top nine highest-grossing documentaries of all time.[3] In September
More about Michael Moore...
Dude, Where's My Country? Stupid White Men Here Comes Trouble Fahrenheit 9/11 Will They Ever Trust Us Again?