Start by marking “If They Only Knew” as Want to Read:
If They Only Knew

If They Only Knew

3.06 of 5 stars 3.06  ·  rating details  ·  425 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Part feminist, part superhero, Chyna has blazed a trail where no woman had gone before. She has gained the respect of the men inside the World Wrestling Federation, and the world at large. She was the first woman to wear the Intercontinental Championship belt, yet these were not her most significant battles.

She has battled her entire life: against a controlling mother; aga
Published January 30th 2001 by HarperEntertainment (first published 2001)

Have a Nice Day! by Mick FoleyA Lion's Tale by Chris JerichoHitman by Bret HartFoley is Good by Mick FoleyUndisputed by Chris Jericho
Best Wrestling Books
21st out of 115 books — 89 voters
Running with Scissors by Augusten BurroughsThe Glass Castle by Jeannette WallsMe Talk Pretty One Day by David SedarisDry by Augusten BurroughsTo Live and Drink in L.A. by Ben Peller
Best Strange and Twisted Memoirs
109th out of 252 books — 777 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittany
To those of you who gave this book a bad rating I'd like to give you all the middle finger! Seriously there was nothing whiny and boring about this book. I've heard way worse. Chyna is just telling her story of how she fight to be where she is today. Everyone has to do that! Chyna didn't whine or complain about it. She sucked it up and did what she had to do. Sometimes she would even get frustrated and put up a fight which I don't blame her for doing. Although I disagree with some things she did ...more
Lyndsey Plitt
Alot of people say it doesn't have the substance to it that "The Rock" or "Mankinds" books did and in a way they are right. It does seem to rely a little heavily on pictures and the flow of the book is a bit off...it jumps around a bit and can feel like a collection of articles on Chyna's life more then an autobiography. However considering what this woman has gone through in her lifetime she approaches the subject matter with touching warmth and good humor. It's also a very honest look at tough ...more
Natalie
My ex was hugely into WWE and consequently bought every wrestling "autobiography" (most are ghostwritten, and this one was no exception) available. I picked this one up mostly because I wanted to see what the wrestling world was like from a female perspective. It was trainwreck-ish in the way that most celebrity biographies are, except on steroids.
JenniferJ
I enjoyed reading about Chyna aka Joanie Laurer's rise to fame and stardom. The photo's were awesome. I loved and miss Chyna so much.
Soho_black
In the world of professional wrestling, women aren't unusual. But where they do exist, they tend to be restricted to supporting roles where their main job is to look pretty and little else and on the rare occasion they do get to wrestle, they're often restricted to wrestling other women. Even in mixed wrestling bouts, it's far more common to see both women in the ring together than any actual mixed wrestling.

But as with anything, it only takes one person to change attitudes and in the case of wo
Melissa McLees
Awesome pictures of some of my favorite wrestlers, However some of the wording in this book to me was kind of scrambled like scrambled eggs, but I still liked this book because It was kind of informative about Chyna and what to look for to when watching wrestling, some of it may be fake and some might be real.
Ashley
I wonder why it is that so many biographies can't follow a simple time line? Don't get me wrong... I enjoyed the book. I just would have enjoyed it more if it hadn't been so scattered.
JoAlice
Enjoyed the read
Mysterio ...wwetkd...
Female power all the way!!!
Grace
It was fairly interesting, sadly it isn't the best written book ever. It meanders and skips backwards and forwards. It also manages to skim over her wrestling acheivements, which almost defeats the object of the book. However it was interesting learning some more about where she came from, her rise and the resistance to a female wrestling men. Worth reading if you can get past the annoying style.
This memoir from one of the most interesting female wrestlers of all time (in my opinion) is a little on the sad side. Joanie Laurer has had some rough times in her life and from reality tv, we know that these have continued. I enjoyed reading the parts about her time in the WWF (and her troubled relationship with Triple H) but it wasn't quite what I expected.
Mr. Pease
One of the very worst books I've ever read, wrestling or otherwise. Joanie Laurer comes off as a whining lout, incapable of taking responsibility for any decision in her life. As this was written long before her downward spiral into a pop-culture punchline, it doesn't even offer any value as train-wreck entertainment. Strongest recommendation to avoid.
Eden
May 20, 2009 Eden rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chyna fans, Wrestling fans
This book is about the life of Joanie Laurer also known as Chyna.

She talks about her childhood, life growing up and how she made into it the WWF (now WWE).

Joanie is an amazing woman and she may have some problems, but with this book you can see why she does. But, she is an inspiration and was a great female wrestler.
Rebecca
Chyna inspires me to be what I want to be. Trap my body to be like no others and never give up in archiving what I want. She was my favorite WWF wrestler and to this day I find her beautiful and an inspiration.
Newt cox
What a load of crap. Found this in hardcover at Dollar Tree. And after reading it I see why. Full of spelling mistakes. Plus Joanie can't seem to keep her stories straight. Avoid this one.
Jade
Was a really interesting book, learnt a lot more about Chyna herself, I remember borrowing out of the library the first time I read it, I have read it twice, good book. :)
Rebecca
What can I say, I am a sucker for celebrity autobiographies. I read this book in about 3 hours. It certainly wasn't great, but it was good brain candy, I suppose.
Garrett Burnett
I can't imagine a worse book being written at any point ever. On the plus side, it was great to see Joanie emerge back to prominence on Celebrity Rehab.
Carly C
Feb 28, 2012 Carly C rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Carly by: WWE
A great read! Here's to you, Chyna. For all you've gone through and for being able to be a genuine writer! Not to mention an AWESOME athlete!
Victor Orozco
Okay. A quick read and interesting to say the least. I can't help but feel if she elevates herself too much. All in all an okay read. B
Scott Dishman
A good autobiography of the famous professional wrestler. I enjoyed watching the wrestler perform so I enjoyed the book.
wendy
again - cleaning the shelves.

this was written well before her blazing downfall. it'd be interesting to see a part two.
Carie Parkin
Good read - interesting to see how she got to where she did in an all male world of wrestling. Entertaining.
Rachel
There were some strange metaphors and similes she used but otherwise it was really interesting!
Nila
I miss Chyna wrestling but I did read why she isn't anymore...
Benjamin
this'll bum you the hell out. but for a wrestling bio, it's awesome.
Kingmeng
Jul 04, 2007 Kingmeng rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No One
Shelves: autobiography
If only I knew...then I wouldn't have wasted my time in reading it.
Julie
If They Only Knew by Chyna (2001)
Brisbride13
Your typical book about a wrestler.
Bob
I thought their would be more pictures.
  • It's True! It's True!
  • Lita: A Less Traveled R.O.A.D.--The Reality of Amy Dumas
  • The Stone Cold Truth
  • The Rock Says...: The Most Electrifying Man in Sports-Entertainment
  • Hollywood Hulk Hogan
  • Driver #8
  • Batista Unleashed (Wwe)
  • Are We There Yet?: Tales from the Never-Ending Travels of WWE Superstars
  • Just for the Record
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Combined Set
  • Controversy Creates Cash
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
Fam: Rolling in a London Girl Gang Mastering the Art of wearing High Heels, 10 Hot tips