Start by marking “Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better” as Want to Read:

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  187 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Imagine this: Five eminently stylish and hilariously witty gay men -- authoritative experts in food and wine, grooming, decorating, fashion, and culture -- invade your life, assess your strengths and weaknesses, and, in the course of a day, make you better dressed, better groomed, better mannered, and a better cook, living in a better home. All of this is painless (unless ...more
Published February 10th 2004 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Queer Eye for the Straight Guy , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Queer Eye for the Straight Guy

Noran Miss Pumkin
Jul 29, 2009 Noran Miss Pumkin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most adults
Recommended to Noran by: myself
Shelves: fashion
Really enjoyed the CD set I got for $.99 off Ebay--They all talk and are really fun and even Carlon The fashionon crazed guru is sane and wonderful on his CD--eevn women can learn from this set. I sdore Jai and missed that he got little screen time--yet he got a CD to himself and really covered some clever oints for a party shy wall flower like myself.
The design and groom guys had to share a CD--they are the FAB - so i was expecting 5 CD's-I felt the designed guy got cheated! I do not if i will
Chad Lamb
Okay, so this was a fad. But I did enjoy the T.V. show and was trying to be a little hipper with my dress and apartment decorations so I could attract the ladies. This book was interesting and helpful in that department. Now I think guys can still clean themselves up but just need to be guys. Not quasi- or full metrosexuals.
Lenny Husen
Sep 03, 2014 Lenny Husen rated it really liked it
This was cute, not a whole lot of useful information, but some tips that were great even for a straight bird. Some laugh out loud quotes. You gotta love Carson.
Lots of glossy pretty photos of clothes, wine, and decor.
Even if it were just for the addition of "Trajikistan" to my vocabulary, this would have been worth the read.
Tracy
Jan 04, 2016 Tracy rated it really liked it
Lots of basics...good to read for early 20somethings...much of the advice is timeless or always applicable for a book written over 10 years ago
Bill
Nov 19, 2015 Bill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Margaret
Dec 12, 2008 Margaret rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finishedreading
Okay, I heard this on audio CD and I must say- it's quite a hoot! haha I loved it. I wanted to read up a little about how men behave (or rather, how they should behave according to the cultured Fab 5) so I picked it up. Not only did I pick up tips myself on cooking and wine, but I also have plenty of tips to spare for my 2 brothers and boyfriend. Ladies, you'll get a nice peak into how to help the boys around you act and dress appropriately for whatever occasion. Fun and entertaining! Plus, it's ...more
Zac Sigler
Aug 22, 2015 Zac Sigler rated it really liked it
Long overdue. I met Kyan at Outwrite Atlanta in 2006(?) at his book signing. I was hoping that Carson's fashion section might address what looks good on men of differing sizes.
alana
Jun 02, 2013 alana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I'm not a straight guy (nor a gay guy, for that matter), I did read this book cover to cover and kind of loved it. It made me want to re-stock my bar, buy a few good suits, and make sure to anchor each room in my dwelling. I love books that teach people to be gracious and polite! I wish my husband was fluent enough in English to read it. Alas!
Hilary
Dec 04, 2007 Hilary rated it really liked it
Cute, and enjoyable. Not sure I agree with all of the stuff about grooming. The section on decorating is abstract to the point of being hard to apply. Unsure how useful the stuff on fashion would be if you don't already know what you're doing in that arena. The cooking/eating section was very usefuli.
Therese Gilardi
Jul 31, 2011 Therese Gilardi rated it it was amazing
gotta love the guys. i bought this book for my husband, but of course i was the one who devoured it. all of the sassy flavor of the old show, with a lot of great ideas thrown in, especially with regard to skin care and food.
Jessamine
Jan 14, 2008 Jessamine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: baking-cooking
I know this book covers all the specialties of the Queer Eye guys, but I really got this book for Ted Allen's recipes. I've made a few of the recipes and they've all turned out awesomely delicious.
Pody Ken
Sep 29, 2007 Pody Ken rated it really liked it
The important book for women (especially for you who need someone give u much intention!). This is the secret of men. What they like, what kind of food or beverage they prefere. All about them!
Mr. Noah Sturdevant
Mar 28, 2013 Mr. Noah Sturdevant rated it liked it
I read this just as an exercise in broadening my horizons, but there were some good tips. I'm afraid it was too advanced for me in some ways, so I must really be out of touch.
Jamie
Feb 11, 2012 Jamie rated it it was ok
Cute book but I don't need advice telling me how to dress, comb my hair, cook or tips on being cultivated; I'm light years ahead of these guys but just haven't got their cash.
Ash
Jul 30, 2010 Ash added it
Queer Eye for the Straight Guy : The Fab 5's Guide to Looking Better, Cooking Better, Dressing Better, Behaving Better, and Living Better by Ted Allen (2004)
Nathan
May 15, 2010 Nathan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Informative. Liked it enough to try watching the show. . .if I wasn't too busy with Family, school, and work to watch TV.
Paul Groinus
Aug 05, 2010 Paul Groinus rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Every guy
This book actually has a lot of good tips. It's a fun read too!
Jillian
Jan 08, 2008 Jillian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Girls with boys who need help:)
I love this show! This book was great! This is the copy I own:)
Teena in Toronto
Jul 05, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
Even though it's directed at guys, I found it interesting and funny.
Joy
Jul 15, 2013 Joy rated it really liked it
Thanks for the tip on how to cook a steak!
Tyler Hurst
Jan 26, 2010 Tyler Hurst rated it really liked it
Hilarious, useful and more fun than I expected.
Susan
Jul 19, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, has a lot of good ideas.
Crystal
Feb 14, 2008 Crystal rated it really liked it
Even my hubby read it.
AMS
AMS rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2016
Tom Nelson
Tom Nelson rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Anna
Anna added it
Jun 24, 2016
Dinko
Dinko marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Tri Huynh
Tri Huynh rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Catherine
Catherine marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Sharon Williams
Sharon Williams rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Off the Cuff
  • The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size
  • Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Act, Eat, Sleep, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else
  • The Fashion File: Advice, Tips, and Inspiration from the Costume Designer of Mad Men
  • Best of Rivals: Joe Montana, Steve Young, and the Inside Story behind the NFL's Greatest Quarterback Controversy
  • The Starving Artist's Way: Easy Projects for Low-Budget Living
  • What You Wear Can Change Your Life
  • All the Presidents' Pastries: Twenty-Five Years in the White House, A Memoir
  • The Eastern Stars: How Baseball Changed the Dominican Town of San Pedro de Macoris
  • We've Always Had Paris...and Provence: A Scrapbook of Our Life in France
  • The Math Instinct: Why You're a Mathematical Genius (Along with Lobsters, Birds, Cats, and Dogs)
  • The Genius: How Bill Walsh Reinvented Football and Created an NFL Dynasty
  • P.S.-You're Invited . . .: 40+DIY Projects for All of Your Fashion, Home Décor & Entertaining Needs
  • The Paris Apartment
  • Rightsizing Your Life: Simplifying Your Surroundings While Keeping What Matters Most
  • Modern Vintage Style