Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Deluxe Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Deluxe Edition)

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #1)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  1,172,639 ratings  ·  11,611 reviews
"The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" introduced readers to the wonders and enchantment of Narnia when it was first published almost fifty years ago. Since then the hearts and imaginations of millions of readers have been captured by the story of Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, who step through a magic wardrobe into Narnia, once the peaceful land of Talking Beasts, Dwarfs ...more
Published September 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Narnia (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Peter Yoder LION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that…moreLION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that reading the books in their original published order is the best way to experience them. Here are the reasons:

1. Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe through Silver Chair follow the childhoods of the Pevensies and company, and thematically flow best when not interrupted by Horse and His Boy. They also reveal the world at the best pace for new readers.
2. There is a powerful nostalgia factor that you get when reading the Horse and His Boy that is diminished if you read it right after Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. Magician and Last Battle also play off that nostalgia.
3. The Magician's Nephew has allusions to another book that would not make sense if you had read Magician first. It is also experienced much better when you already have a picture of Narnia from the other books. You kind of spoil the surprises if you read it first.

If C.S. Lewis' was reorganizing the books to be in chronological order, it was an effort that never made its way into the books. I was flabbergasted when publishers started printing editions differently. Reordering the books in my mind is like recutting Memento. Will it still tell a story? yes. Will the story be as good? no. At least not without serious rework.

The published order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle(less)
Cher Depends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not…moreDepends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not until I was in my late 20s did I find out that there were more in a series! I found them, bought the paperback series and enjoyed them as a treasure found. I loved Harry Potter series and own it too. I enjoy reading teen and young adult fiction. I enjoy fantasy, sci fi and time travel books. I did not have a clue about the religious overtones. BTW I"m 70years young.(less)

J.G. Keely
My greatest disappointment in 'The Screwtape Letters' was that Lewis was not able to demonstrate what made his good people good or his bad people bad. The closest he got to defining goodness was that you could tell the good people from the vague aura of light that surrounded them--and which even shone in their cat. In this book, the cat is much bigger.

Aslan had no character, he was just a big, dull stand-in. Lewis often tells us how great he is, but never demonstrates what it is that makes him g
I loved this book.
It was first read to me in 4th grade. We would all come in from lunch and our teacher would read to us for about 30 minutes before we would start class.
I remember this book because it wasnt read to us by Mrs Graham, but instead it would be read by Mr Goodwin, her long-haired, bearded, Birkenstock wearing teacher's aid.
Over the next few weeks we were enthralled by this story, we couldnt wait for lunch period to be over so we could hear what was happening in this magic kingdom
Ademilson Moraes
I didn't read this book first. I actually read The Magician's Nephew before I got to this one, so I was already familiar with Lewis' writing style and with the general idea of the world of Narnia.

This is not a bad book, to be sure, but its characters, especially the humans, are a bit bland to stick with the reader once the book is closed. The exception is Edmund Pevensie, who is memorable only because Lewis makes him so unrelentingly obnoxious for almost the entire book. Lewis also draws on a my

A Defence of C.S. Lewis...or a brief attempt at such

Some thoughts recently crossed my mind no doubt on their way down-town to relax in regards to arguments one could offer as a defence of the Christian side of this novel. The main arguments against this novel as a 'Christian allegory' that I have heard are: 1)Aslan is not a strong Christ-figure 2)That C.S. Lewis 'preaches' a black and white morality. So I'm going to roughly address them from my perspective and hope it encourages some discussion.
I just re-read this book and got so much more out of it than the first time. The symbolism & parallels to basic Christianity stuck out.
*turkish delight is our human nature, prone to addiction, selfishness and wrongdoing
*Peter said about Edmund, "We should go after him. After all he is our brother." Even though he had just betrayed them and was causing grief they didn't mistreat or disown him.
*The very mention of Aslan's name caused certain positive feelings to come over them all they didn'
The Role (bibli)call:

The big cuddly cat = Jesus. Strange that a lion should be chosen to represent the big man when Lions are notoriously aggressive, solitary carnivores who are more likely to eat any potential apostles than than teach or lead them.

The white witch = Satan or Eve the temptress depending on which side of the tree of knowledge you're most likely to be barking up. Famed for a monochrome wardrobe in the A/W line only. Like Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, she has cancel
Dec 27, 2014 Laz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, really
Well, can you blame me for loving this? I certainly hope not. It's Christmas and I feel like a little kid and I was craving something to make me feel like I am one, indeed, and this book travelled me to a wondrous world full of heroes and of course a villain. The ride was awesome and I found the characters warm and fuzzy despite the eternal cold that had been placed upon Narnia. Now, they're all free of the curse of the White Witch thanks to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The kings and queens of ...more
Jun 19, 2012 Dyuti rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers
Shelves: children, fantasy
What an amazingly delightful book! I regret not reading it earlier

** Before I begin, let me clarify that as I am not a Christian, I had no idea that this book was written by keeping the image of Jesus (as Aslan) in mind. I just came across this revelation on Goodreads, and it just added another layer to the story! The review below is written only by treating it as a fun-filled and action packed novel!

I had seen the movie based on the book a couple of years ago, and had really loved it! On readi
Every time I read this wonderful story, it's like catching up with an old friend. I've read this particular Narnia book so many different times, but it never ever gets old. I love the fact that I can pick up this (or any of the other Narnia books, for that matter) and step into a whole other world. I also particularly enjoyed the fact that I found that I could relate with each one of the children, although I must say that I was partial to Lucy! Additionally, I love the role Aslan plays in this b ...more
Nov 07, 2011 Kenny rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Kenny by: Waaaaay too many people
I am tempted to give this book a zero but the idea of going through the wardrobe to another land is fantastic. Everything else, however, is not fantastic, including:

The over-the-top Christian allegory.
The complete absence of dramatic tension - the characters are static and the conclusion is foregone. There is nothing to keep you reading, to challenge you, or to even vaguely interest you.
The writing is mediocre at best.
The dialogue is mediocre at best.

Awful book, it as if someone read Matthew thr
Some useful German words and phrases that I learned from reading this book:

Alle Wetter, ich bin ja ganz in Schweiß gebadet! - Blowed if I ain't all in a muck sweat!

Biberin - female beaver

Feeneden - Cair Paravel

Heiliger Bimbam! - Great Scott!

Ich frage mich wirklich, was sie ihnen eigentlich auf den Schulen beibringen - I do wonder what they do teach them at these schools

Pfui Teufel, was für eine Gemeinheit! - Well, of all the poisonous little beasts!

tiefer Urzauber aus der Zeiten Dämmerung - deep
Welcome to Narnia, where nobody has genitalia.
Feb 20, 2008 Abi rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Smug Christians
I read this when I was little (I would guess about 7, 8 or 9), and I didn't pick up on all the Christianity references, despite them being SO overt. What I did feel was astonishment that the children all loved Aslan so much, when I thought he was massively sanctimonious and sickening as a character. I could not stand that lion. I didn't want the Snow Queen to win exactly, I didn't like her either... but at the same time I wanted someone to show the lion up, or force him to do something INTERESTI ...more
Apr 04, 2008 Werner rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone (of any age) who loves fantasy, and/or serious Christian literature
While I first read this book in the mid-70s, I read it again to my wife a couple of years ago (we both loved it then as much as I did the first time). Most people know that C. S. Lewis was an effective Christian nonfiction apologist, using the tools of reason and logic to build the philosophical case for Christian faith. But he ultimately became convinced that an even more effective apologetic is available through the "truth of art," the instinctive and emotional appeal that stories exert -- esp ...more
Rather than spend this review explaining what I thought of the book, I will instead devote my time to justifying placing this on my "the movie is better" shelf.

Reasons the Movie Version Is Better:
1. Watching it will take about the same amount of time it takes to read the book, because good lord does everything get wrapped up quick.
2. We actually get to see some real fight scenes, and even though there's no blood and it's all very PG, at least it's not just "There was a battle going on but then A
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis is one of the books in his series, the Chronicles of Narnia in which Christianity is portrayed through various fantasy creatures. God, for instance is portrayed as a talking Lion. What a wonderful series! What child hasn’t climbed into a closet and explored the back cracks in hope of finding an entrance to a new and exciting world after reading this book? I used to sit in a closet with the door closed and a flashlight reading my favorite books aft ...more
Regardless of the anyone's critical opinion, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is one of the most memorable pieces of fantastic literature ever produced (completely disregarding the pop culture influence). Its simple premise, reticulated with a vast allegorically fantastical world remains an incredibly effective method of storytelling, as its themes and concepts still resonate today.

The premise of the story is relatively straightforward; four young children are moved to the countryside to av
Okay, let me say first of all that I think C.S. Lewis is a brilliant man. That being said, this book made me feel like he could have given a little credit to the rest of us.
I wish I could review it based solely on the story, and not bother with the religious message, but unfortunately, it's impossible to read the story without getting a headache from the constant hammering that is "THE MESSAGE."
This story is a fun idea, fantasy-wise. I particularly love the ice queen and the Turkish Delight sce
Franco  Santos
Narnia fue el primer mundo que exploré en mi vida como lector, y por eso mismo El León la Bruja y el Armario esta vehementemente encepado en mi corazón.

Es un libro hermoso, lleno de fantasía y magia. Es muy entretenido y te hace amar a los personajes que tienen que ser amados. Recuerdo que cada página que leía era asociado a un sentimiento de excéntrico placer, sabiendo que estaba inmerso en una historia extraordinaria.

Es una de las novelas a las que más cariño les tengo. Es la que me impulsó
Erik Graff
Jun 10, 2014 Erik Graff rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Erik by: Skip and Flo
Shelves: literature
During my freshman year at Grinnell College we had resident advisors, a couple who lived downstairs in Loose Hall dorm who were there if we needed them. That never happened, but they were friendly and welcoming, their door usually open to visitors. My roommate, Richard Hyde, had some relationship with them and invited me to join him for a visit.

Skip and Flo were Christians! That was intriguing. I asked them about it and they gave me an answer which I only came to understand years later, after I'

I read this book when I was 9 or 10, and I really enjoyed it. Like most kids that age, I didn't notice it was Christian propaganda... I just thought it was a great story. The bit about Aslan allowing himself to be killed, and then coming back to life, seemed, I don't know, illogical... was all this stuff about the Deep Magic and the Emperor over the Sea necessary? It didn't seem to add much to the plot. But the tear-drenched scene with Susan and Lucy keeping guard over Aslan's dead body was effe
Μαγεία της αμφιβολίας,της ματαιοδοξίας,της προδοσίας,της αδελφικής αφοσίωσης,της εμπιστοσύνης,της μεταμέλειας,της συγχώρεσης,της πίστης στους νόμους,της αδικίας,της δικαιοσύνης,μαγεία της επιφανειακής ομορφιάς μα και της ουσιαστικής. Χαρακτηριστικά που μας κατακλύζουν στην καθημερινότητά μας και μας φαίνονται άχρωμα και στεγνά,αλλά με τα βιβλία του Lewis, υπενθυμίζουμε στον εαυτό μας ότι πάντα υπάρχει λίγη μαγεία να δίνει ανάσα στην αποπνικτική 'πραγματικότητα' που δημιουργούμε από συνήθεια,μα π ...more
I re-read this for script research. I remember reading this years ago and it still brought a smile to my face! Can't wait to get this up on the stage!
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is the first published book in author C.S. Lewis's high fantasy series for children: The Chronicles of Narnia. In a fascinating world of magical wardrobes, talking animals, and mythical creatures, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is an intelligent and entertaining story for children and adults alike.

This is another book I decided to read along with my son after he was asked to read it for school. As a student, it can be hard to get excited about books th
คือไมรูจะหักคะแนนตรงไหน เพอรเฟคไปหมดซะทุกอยาง เนือเรืองยังกับขนมหวาน อานไปยิมไป ละมุนเปนทีสุด ไมรูสิ ! การเลาเรืองลูอิสใชภาษางายๆ ไมมีอะไรมาก แตอาจจะเปนเพราะผูแตงเคาใสความคิดและคำพูดของเคาลงไปในหนังสือดวย เลยทำใหมันออกมาดูจับตองได ดูนาคนหา ฉากทีบรรยายทุงหญาปาเขาปกติเราจะเบือนะ แตนีเหมือนนังฟัง Audiobook แลวมีคนมากระซิบขางหูใหฟังเลยอะ ละเมียดละไมดีจริงๆ

คิดวาถาไมเคยดูหนังมากอนคงอินมากแนๆ แตตอนเดกๆเราดูหนังเรืองนีตังแตจำความได ดูซำไปซำมาจนจำไดทุกรายละเอียด ทำใหความสดใหมในการรับสารตรงนีมันหายไปเมือม
دوازده سال بعد از ورود من به نارنیا، دوباره خوندن این داستان برام حس بازگشت به خونه رو داشت.

نارنیا اولین مجموعه فانتزی بود که خوندم و مقدمه ای برای ورود به دنیای داستان و اگر الان اینقدر به کتاب علاقه دارم و عطش خوندن دارم، بی شک مدیون دنیای جذاب و پر هیجان نارنیا هستم.

متن کتاب واقعا شیرین بود. شاید خیلی ساده به نظر بیاد ولی حسی که نویسنده موقع نوشتن داستان به کلماتش داده اونقدر جوندار و تازه هست که بعد از این همه مدت هنوز برام بدیع و جذاب و هیجان انگیز بود. هنوز وقتی ادموند اون راحت الحقوم ها ر
I’m pretty sure that I read this when I was 11 or 12—but I didn’t remember it at all. In my defense, that was about 40 years ago. Here’s the funny thing though—as a kid, if I liked a book, I re-read it numerous times. So, if I did read it, lo those many years ago, I didn’t like it enough to re-read it. Around 12 or 13, I also read The Lord of the Rings, for example, and I have read it innumerable times now and continue to enjoy it every once in a while.

Now, I’m not sure if I believe this premise
Fantasy has over the years become one of my favourite genres - if it hasn't always been. Ever since that first encounter with C.S. Lewis.

I was young when my mother came home with the seven novels about Narnia. I was always an avid reader, wrote my first book at nine. I can't remember exactly what she told me of them, but I do remember my eyes. They were so large, I figure anyone who watched me might've thought they would jump out of their sockets. I read them as a homeless might gulp down food w
Unlike some who re-read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" as adults and bring their fond childhood memories to the experience, I barely remember reading it the first time, when I was quite young. So, reading it now, I'm judging it solely as an adult would. And while some children's books fare incredibly well when read by adults -- even those adults who never read them as children -- C.S. Lewis's book, I'm sorry to say, is not one of them.

"Lion" is not a bad book, to be sure, but its charact
May 12, 2015 booklady rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young people--of ALL ages!
Finally read the real McCoy! I see why modern movie makers feel the need to ‘spice it up’ as they did in the recent epic film extravaganza, but the original story is so sweet. It is perfect just as it is! I wish I'd read it as a kid; I know I’d have loved it.

It’s a reflection of when Lewis wrote it as there are numerous references to food, eating and the delights therein. It’s in the simplicity of the food we can hearken back to post-WWII 1950s England still deep in the throes of rationing and
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3)
  • Silver on the Tree (The Dark is Rising, #5)
  • Taran Wanderer (The Chronicles of Prydain #4)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • These Happy Golden Years (Little House, #8)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • The Little White Horse
  • The Trumpet of the Swan
  • A Little Princess
  • Ozma of Oz (Oz, #3)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • DragonLight (DragonKeeper Chronicles, #5)
  • The Phoenix and the Carpet (Five Children, #2)
  • Escape from the Island of Aquarius (The Cooper Kids Adventures, #2)
  • The Wolves of Willoughby Chase (The Wolves Chronicles, #1)
  • The Castle in the Attic (The Castle in the Attic, #1)
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)
The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2) The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)

“I hope no one who reads this book has been quite as miserable as Susan and Lucy were that night; but if you have been - if you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again.” 786 likes
“I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather, C. S. Lewis.” 677 likes