Start by marking “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe” as Want to Read:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #1)

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  1,568,795 Ratings  ·  15,042 Reviews
"The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe" introduced readers to the wonders and enchantment of Narnia when it was first published almost fifty years ago. Since then the hearts and imaginations of millions of readers have been captured by the story of Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, who step through a magic wardrobe into Narnia, once the peaceful land of Talking Beasts, Dwarfs ...more
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 174 pages
Published September 1st 1997 by HarperCollins Narnia (first published October 16th 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, please sign up.

Peter Yoder LION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that…moreLION FIRST! As someone who has read The Chronicles of Narnia at least eleven times, I know the books inside and out and can state categorically that reading the books in their original published order is the best way to experience them. Here are the reasons:

1. Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe through Silver Chair follow the childhoods of the Pevensies and company, and thematically flow best when not interrupted by Horse and His Boy. They also reveal the world at the best pace for new readers.
2. There is a powerful nostalgia factor that you get when reading the Horse and His Boy that is diminished if you read it right after Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe. Magician and Last Battle also play off that nostalgia.
3. The Magician's Nephew has allusions to another book that would not make sense if you had read Magician first. It is also experienced much better when you already have a picture of Narnia from the other books. You kind of spoil the surprises if you read it first.

If C.S. Lewis' was reorganizing the books to be in chronological order, it was an effort that never made its way into the books. I was flabbergasted when publishers started printing editions differently. Reordering the books in my mind is like recutting Memento. Will it still tell a story? yes. Will the story be as good? no. At least not without serious rework.

The published order is:
1. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
2. Prince Caspian
3. Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. The Silver Chair
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Magician's Nephew
7. The Last Battle(less)
Cher Depends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not…moreDepends on how fast you read. I found The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe in the city library as an elementary student and fell in love with it. Not until I was in my late 20s did I find out that there were more in a series! I found them, bought the paperback series and enjoyed them as a treasure found. I loved Harry Potter series and own it too. I enjoy reading teen and young adult fiction. I enjoy fantasy, sci fi and time travel books. I did not have a clue about the religious overtones. BTW I"m 70years young.(less)

Patrick
This is the first book where I chronicled my thoughts as I read through it with my son. I don't know how easy it is for y'all to access the record of those here on Goodreads, but if you're looking for a detailed account of my thoughts on the book, you can look there.

I'll say this. I've read a lot of books to my little boy these last couple years, and I can honestly say that This book is among the best. Good, tight writing, good description. Good action. Also there's not a lot of dead space or tr
J.G. Keely
My greatest disappointment in 'The Screwtape Letters' was that Lewis was not able to demonstrate what made his good people good or his bad people bad. The closest he got to defining goodness was that you could tell the good people from the vague aura of light that surrounded them--and which even shone in their cat. In this book, the cat is much bigger.

Aslan had no character, he was just a big, dull stand-in. Lewis often tells us how great he is, but never demonstrates what it is that makes him g
Bookdragon Sean
“If ever they remembered their life in this world it was as one remembers a dream.”

The real world is boring; it’s mundane, unimaginative and dry. So humans create fantasy as a means of escape. We watch movies or go to the theatre to see something more interesting than the standard realities of the everyday. We paint pictures and gaze up at the stars. We play video games and roleplay. We dream. Authors like C.S Lewis and J.K Rowling show us this miserable world; they show us its tones of grey.
James
5 stars to C.S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. Adored it. I must have read it three or four times as a child. Hits all the spots in my reading dreams. a forest. A large family. Talking animals. Secrets. Mystery. Drama. Hidden messages. Saga and series. Every child should read it.

Imagination runs free here. 4 children stuck a house. 1 goes exploring and finds herself lost in the world of Narnia. And the rest follow her.

Siblings fight. The book shows what happens when you don't lis
Manuel
May 06, 2008 Manuel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book.
It was first read to me in 4th grade. We would all come in from lunch and our teacher would read to us for about 30 minutes before we would start class.
I remember this book because it wasnt read to us by Mrs Graham, but instead it would be read by Mr Goodwin, her long-haired, bearded, Birkenstock wearing teacher's aid.
Over the next few weeks we were enthralled by this story, we couldnt wait for lunch period to be over so we could hear what was happening in this magic kingdom
Cait • A Page with a View
I hadn't read this in forever, so it was fun to come back to. I definitely remembered it being much more detailed, though. It's a pretty fast read... so that's funny how much my mind added to the story as a kid. But I still adore these books so much!!

And I still think this movie was one of the best adaptations ever.
Jonathan

A Defence of C.S. Lewis...or a brief attempt at such

Some thoughts recently crossed my mind no doubt on their way down-town to relax in regards to arguments one could offer as a defence of the Christian side of this novel. The main arguments against this novel as a 'Christian allegory' that I have heard are: 1)Aslan is not a strong Christ-figure 2)That C.S. Lewis 'preaches' a black and white morality. So I'm going to roughly address them from my perspective and hope it encourages some discussion.
Dem
Feb 25, 2017 Dem rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Novels were not a part of my life until my mid teens and therefore I missed out wonderful reading experiences like the Chronicles of Narnia but while I wish I had read more as a child I am having an absolute ball catching up on all these enchanting books when I can appreciate them on a different level

image:
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe is a compelling story that is both enchanting and filled with fantasy and adventure and I think can be appreciated by both adults and children alike.

Write
Aimee
Apr 19, 2008 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this book and got so much more out of it than the first time. The symbolism & parallels to basic Christianity stuck out.
*turkish delight is our human nature, prone to addiction, selfishness and wrongdoing
*Peter said about Edmund, "We should go after him. After all he is our brother." Even though he had just betrayed them and was causing grief they didn't mistreat or disown him.
*The very mention of Aslan's name caused certain positive feelings to come over them all they didn'
Shovelmonkey1
The Role (bibli)call:

The big cuddly cat = Jesus. Strange that a lion should be chosen to represent the big man when Lions are notoriously aggressive, solitary carnivores who are more likely to eat any potential apostles than than teach or lead them.

The white witch = Satan or Eve the temptress depending on which side of the tree of knowledge you're most likely to be barking up. Famed for a monochrome wardrobe in the A/W line only. Like Alan Rickman in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, she has cancel
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Lion, The Witch, The Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1), C.S. Lewis
عنوان: ماجراهای نارنیا کتاب نخست: شیر، کمد، جادوگر؛ نویسنده: سی. (کلایو) اس. (استیپلز) لوئیس؛ مترجم: امید اقتداری؛ منوچهر کریم زاده؛ تهران، انتشارات ایران، 1377؛ در 218 ص؛ شابک: 9646038085؛ چاپ دیگر: هرمس، 1379، در 166 ص، چاپ بعدی 1382؛ در 169 ص؛ شابک: 9647100116؛ چاپ سوم 1384؛ موضوع: داستانهای نویسندگان انگلیسی برای نوجوانان - قرن 20 م
عنوان: شیر ساحره و کمد لباس؛ نویسنده: سی. (کلایو) اس. (استیپلز) لوئیس؛ مترجم: پیمان اسماع
Jason Koivu
Aug 27, 2011 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It dawned on me the other day that I'd never read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. What an oversight! I had to fix this.

I knew the story. When we were kids, one of my cousins was all about this book and liked to tell me about it. I remember absolutely bawling my eyes out when the 1979 cartoon version aired on tv and Aslan was subdued. And then I also knew it through the more recent movie adaptation. Now, having read the actual book, it turns out I already as good as read the book. It varie
Laz
May 06, 2014 Laz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone, really
Well, can you blame me for loving this? I certainly hope not. It's Christmas and I feel like a little kid and I was craving something to make me feel like I am one, indeed, and this book travelled me to a wondrous world full of heroes and of course a villain. The ride was awesome and I found the characters warm and fuzzy despite the eternal cold that had been placed upon Narnia. Now, they're all free of the curse of the White Witch thanks to Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy. The kings and queens of ...more
Mandy Crider
Dec 03, 2015 Mandy Crider rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read as a little girl and loved it. Loved the mysterious places and fantasy lives and I always wanted my wardrobe to enter into a magical land. This book is worth more than 5 stars.
Dyuti
Jun 18, 2012 Dyuti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All fantasy lovers
Shelves: children, fantasy
What an amazingly delightful book! I regret not reading it earlier

** Before I begin, let me clarify that as I am not a Christian, I had no idea that this book was written by keeping the image of Jesus (as Aslan) in mind. I just came across this revelation on Goodreads, and it just added another layer to the story! The review below is written only by treating it as a fun-filled and action packed novel!

narnia

I had seen the movie based on the book a couple of years ago, and had really loved it! On readi
Rebekah Rodda
What a great family read aloud. My eight, six and four year old (and husband) enjoyed hearing this. The four year old flagged a bit but the eight year old got the allegory. A fantastic story, so well told.
Denisse
Nov 04, 2015 Denisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful read. There's no other way to say it. The story knows what it is, knows the public it wants to catch, children, but leaves details every now and then for we the grown ups to appreciate, turning a great children story into one of The fantasy novels this world has. Great messages, and unique style. Light but direct to the point, like all children stories should be. The lion, the witch and the wardrobe is a must for all the lovers of the genre.

description

Solo hay una cosa que de verdad se puede d
Kenny
Nov 12, 2008 Kenny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Kenny by: Waaaaay too many people
I am tempted to give this book a zero but the idea of going through the wardrobe to another land is fantastic. Everything else, however, is not fantastic, including:

The over-the-top Christian allegory.
The complete absence of dramatic tension - the characters are static and the conclusion is foregone. There is nothing to keep you reading, to challenge you, or to even vaguely interest you.
The writing is mediocre at best.
The dialogue is mediocre at best.

Awful book, it as if someone read Matthew thr
Pooja
Oct 25, 2015 Pooja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owns-these-books
This is one of those books that takes you to a land where you feel like you've come to this place many times before,
it feels like home,
you keep hugging this book,
every time enchanted and when you return to your world.

All you feel is MAGICAL.

"I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enou
Mark my words
Jun 07, 2015 Mark my words rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What are you doing in that wardrobe?"

"Narnia business!"
Joana - Ler Com Lobos
Jan 02, 2015 Joana - Ler Com Lobos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reino-unido
A primeira leitura que fiz em 2015 foi o "O Sobrinho do Mágico" porque tinha como objetivo para este ano ler todas as Crónicas de Nárnia por ordem cronológica, mas tal não se concretizou. Nem a ordem, nem a leitura em si. Acabei por deixar passar os meses e nunca mais continuei a minha aventura, até que chegou o mês de Dezembro!

Achei que não haveria mês melhor para ler "O Leão, A Feiticeira e o Guarda-Roupa" por isso peguei nele. O filme é um mais especiais para mim porque vi e revi e revi e o e
Jessika
Every time I read this wonderful story, it's like catching up with an old friend. I've read this particular Narnia book so many different times, but it never ever gets old. I love the fact that I can pick up this (or any of the other Narnia books, for that matter) and step into a whole other world. I also particularly enjoyed the fact that I found that I could relate with each one of the children, although I must say that I was partial to Lucy! Additionally, I love the role Aslan plays in this b ...more
Emer
Dec 01, 2016 Emer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children ages 8 and up
"She did not shut it properly because she knew that it is very silly to shut oneself into a wardrobe, even if it is not a magic one."

It's been many years since I first read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe but when it was chosen as a book of the month for a book group I'm in I couldn't say no to revisiting this classic.

I must confess that this book and series was never one of my childhood favourites; I always preferred the BBC TV series (circa late 1980s/early 1990s). However, there was a
Megan Baxter
Jul 05, 2011 Megan Baxter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading books is so inherently subjective. Books I have loved fall flat for my friends; ones they enjoy strike sometimes strike no chord in me. Sometimes it has everything to do with what is going on my life when I'm reading, or even what type of mood I'm in. When I write reviews, I try to keep that subjectivity first and foremost in my mind, explaining what about the book struck me in such a particular way as best I can.

This is heightened when writing about books that are, in many ways formativ
Ryan
This book will forever hold a special place in my heart.

Review to come.
Luke Taylor
So what is The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe?

description

It is without a doubt, one of the finest examples of children’s storytelling I’ve ever come across, seamless and cyclical, ushering the imagination toward that which is so fantastic it must be true, buried somwhere within in our heart of hearts, where the deep and unending magic set about before the dawn of time wove within in all creatures the desire for adventure, heroism, sacrifice, morality, greatness, grandeur, light, beauty, and loveliness.

W
Heidi The Hippie Reader
This is the story of four siblings who stumble through a wardrobe into a different world. They discover magic, monsters and their destiny.

One Christmas, when I was 11 or 12, my mother gave me The Chronicles of Narnia. It ignited a lifelong love of fantasy fiction and reading.

"Peter! Susan! It's all true. Edmund has seen it too. There is country you can get to through the wardrobe. Edmund and I both got in. We met one another in there, in the wood." pg 40.

I get the criticisms of this series- that
Madeline
Rather than spend this review explaining what I thought of the book, I will instead devote my time to justifying placing this on my "the movie is better" shelf.

Reasons the Movie Version Is Better:
1. Watching it will take about the same amount of time it takes to read the book, because good lord does everything get wrapped up quick.
2. We actually get to see some real fight scenes, and even though there's no blood and it's all very PG, at least it's not just "There was a battle going on but then A
Werner
Mar 22, 2008 Werner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone (of any age) who loves fantasy, and/or serious Christian literature
While I first read this book in the mid-70s, I read it again to my wife a couple of years ago (we both loved it then as much as I did the first time). Most people know that C. S. Lewis was an effective Christian nonfiction apologist, using the tools of reason and logic to build the philosophical case for Christian faith. But he ultimately became convinced that an even more effective apologetic is available through the "truth of art," the instinctive and emotional appeal that stories exert -- esp ...more
Nikoleta
Nov 17, 2015 Nikoleta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ένα υπέροχο μαγικό παραμύθι. Είναι φανερό πως γράφτηκε για κοινό μικρότερης ηλικίας και πραγματικά άμα το είχα διαβάσει στα δέκα μου θα είχα ξετρελαθεί. Και πόσο κρίμα που δεν είχα την Νάρνια να την διαβάσω… θυμάμαι εκεί, γύρω στα οχτώ μου χρόνια, κάποιος μου διηγήθηκε για μια ντουλάπα που βγάζει σε μια μαγική χώρα. Ακόμα θυμάμαι σαν σε όνειρο τον μικρό μου εαυτό να χώνεται στην ντουλάπα και να παλεύει με τα ρούχα της μάμας μου. Ακόμα θυμάμαι την τσαντίλα μου όταν φώναζα «Τζίφος»! Ποτέ όμως δεν ...more
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain #5)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #2)
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Silver on the Tree (The Dark is Rising, #5)
  • A Swiftly Tilting Planet (A Wrinkle in Time Quintet, #3)
  • Comet in Moominland (The Moomins, #2)
  • Just So Stories
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4)
  • The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Vol. 1 (Chrestomanci, #1-2)
  • The Two Princesses of Bamarre
  • Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)
  • Pippi in the South Seas
  • Enoch's Ghost (Oracles of Fire, #2)
  • Dinotopia: A Land Apart from Time
  • Chicken Soup with Rice: A Book of Months (The Nutshell Library)
  • Dangerous Journey: The Story of Pilgrim's Progress
  • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
More about C.S. Lewis...

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7)

“I hope no one who reads this book has been quite as miserable as Susan and Lucy were that night; but if you have been - if you've been up all night and cried till you have no more tears left in you - you will know that there comes in the end a sort of quietness. You feel as if nothing is ever going to happen again.” 980 likes
“I wrote this story for you, but when I began it I had not realized that girls grow quicker than books. As a result you are already too old for fairy tales, and by the time it is printed and bound you will be older still. But some day you will be old enough to start reading fairy tales again. You can then take it down from some upper shelf, dust it, and tell me what you think of it. I shall probably be too deaf to hear, and too old to understand a word you say, but I shall still be your affectionate Godfather, C. S. Lewis.” 876 likes