Start by marking “Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)” as Want to Read:
Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)

Call To Arms (The Corps #2)

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,151 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
The attack on Pearl Harbor swept America into the raging heart of the war. The stormy South Pacific presented a daring new challenge, and the men of the Corps were ready to fight. An elite fraternity united by a glorious tradition of courage and honor, the Marine Raiders were bound to a triumphant destiny. Now, the bestselling author of the acclaimed BROTHERHOOD OF WAR sag ...more
Published September 1st 1987 by G.P. Putnam's Sons (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Call To Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call To Arms

Freda Malone
Nov 23, 2015 Freda Malone rated it really liked it
Anytime you read a Griffin novel, he's going to get 'technical' with regards to the military and its weapons, military speak, and terms. His footnotes often help if you're not sure what the terms mean. I enjoy these types of novels because I am a military brat. I can relate to the emotions of Western Union telegrams of the injured or casualties to the families.

This series is focused on Pick, McCoy, Banning, and some other characters who wind their way around the world with their billets and ord
Ronald Wise
Aug 09, 2014 Ronald Wise rated it liked it
American World War II action — both at home and in the Pacific — from December 1941 through August 1942. The non-fiction prolog is critical to understanding much of the dialog in the novel. A military theorist having presidential pull results in the creation and use of special forces of the U.S. Corps called the Marine Raiders. This is the story behind their controversial creation and their first action on a small Pacific island. I later learned that this was the second of the ten-book Corps Ser ...more
Christopher
Feb 05, 2012 Christopher rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft-fiction
An excellent follow-up to Semper Fi. I like how this expanding story is about the characters and not solely about the war. In fact, the war just happens to be a backdrop for the real action, which is the development of Ken, Ernie, Pick and Company...A fun, quick read!
Tim
Feb 10, 2013 Tim added it
An excellent book. Number two in the series, giving me more historical knowledge about the immediate aftermath of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I appreciate the way in which WEB Griffin writes these books to both entertain and inform. I will now start on the third book!
Bjoern
Aug 26, 2010 Bjoern rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads, military
As nice as the first volume of this series. Honest Story of a Marine that does not do the stuff we've already read a million times about, loyal but not hyper-patriotic, very pleasant to read!
Kellie
Feb 17, 2010 Kellie rated it liked it

I am trying really hard to like these books. The theme of this series is wartime, WWII in the Pacific. The characters are military men and the women in their life. The story takes place in the US for the most part in Florida, California, New York and Washington. I like the story line and some of the characters, however, I am not sure I like the author’s style.

First, some of the military reference in the book is so technical, I find myself skipping over it. It does not really interest me and I w
Michelle
Call to Arms picks up where the last left off, and leads us through the events after Pearl Harbor. A little slower than Semper Fi, we find McCoy in San Diego and Pick in Pensacola for the majority of the story. Griffin's research is top-notch, and the details around the military training, strategies and maneuvers really help the series come to life. These books leave me wanting to read more about the US role in WWII, so I will forgive the cheesy depictions of relationships and the eye-rolling di ...more
Bob Conner
Mar 23, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-war
I fell in love with Griffin's series about the Corps and have read all his awesome works. I can't recall reading a more engaging series with characters all so rich and colorful each of them could be an awesome novel of their own. But Griffin smashes them all together into one nuclear story.

Amazingly colorful characters - Kenneth "Killer" Kelley and his gorgeous wife Ernestine Sage, Jack "NMI" Stecker, Pick Pickering, Sgt Zimmerman, etc....... The list just goes on and on and they never lose thei
Brett
Feb 28, 2016 Brett rated it liked it
Griffin's narrative & character description flow easily, colorfully, content is well researched & believeable -> I recommend reading both books "Semper Fi" (book-1) + "Call to Arms" (book-2) together.
J.W. Thompson
Dec 30, 2009 J.W. Thompson rated it it was amazing
Read this book years ago----love all of this authors books
Paula
Nov 21, 2012 Paula rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who like historical fiction, People interested in learning about the USMC
The depth of the research involved in producing this book (and indeed the whole series) is really evident. And while the sheer quantity of information could have weighed the book down and rendered it unreadable, W.E.B. Griffin's skill as a storyteller prevents that.

Normally, I would have a problem with the constant long-handed way of presenting information (e.g. frequently referring to characters by their full name and rank, or referring to military property as "lamp, reading, one of" etc), but
Stephanie Litwins
May 08, 2016 Stephanie Litwins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read!

Although this series is reminiscent of the Brotherhood of War series with respect to character variation and relationships, it is also equally enjoyable to read. I might have been considered a 'Private Benjamin' in the U.S. Army, but I was proud to serve and these books remind me of life in the military. W.E.B. Griffin will always be one of my favorite authors.
Matt Johnson
Jun 23, 2015 Matt Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did it again.

I've read this series about 4 times over the years and I've started again. Killer McCoy, Banning, Pick, and Ernie are all people I miss reading about and truly wish and hope there are at least a few more books to come in the future. Just have to wait and see. Till then, Ill re-read the ten we do have over and over because this series is that damn good. Period.
Softbananas
2.5 Stars

The title says "Call to Arms" the story reads rich guy meets rich girl, poor guy has already met his rich girl. Rich guy and poor guy join the marines and fall into every perfect scenario there is.

This is a soap opera. It's also the book of filler to get to the next book in the series. I hate when that happens.
Will
Jun 07, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
Shelves: military-action
The Marine Raiders, prelude to Special Ops. The shadow of the China Marines looms as the DoD and the Navy specifically wrangle with unconventional warfare roles as espoused by Evans Carlson who observed the operations of the Chinese communists under Mao fighting the Japanese. While fought by most military brass, unconventional warfare was interesting to FDR and hence the creation of the Marine Raider Company. McCoy, Zimmerman and Banning get pulled into the fray as Pickering and Stecker slosh th ...more
George
Sep 04, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
The second installment of the Corps series--2Lts McCoy and Pickering after attack on Pearl Harbor. McCoy goes to DC and is assigned as a spy against renegade LtCol who created the Raiders; the precursor to today's Marine Corps Special Operations. Pickering plops at Pensacola for flight training, becomes a fighter pilot and falls in love with the unattainable woman. Other characters just keep coming back to life. The characters are strong in their relationships, especially among the raiders. Grif ...more
Keith
May 17, 2014 Keith rated it really liked it
Interesting book, moves quickly. I'm addicted to this series now. Would like to see more details of the battles, though. We seem to skip over them, an interesting concept for a World War II novel about Marines.
Julie
Feb 01, 2014 Julie rated it really liked it
Anyone who is interested in military lore will love this series. The characters are like friends and Griffin knows how to tell a story. All around great entertainment with a good knowledge of historical events. I learned a lot as a bonus.
Howard Anders
Mar 31, 2013 Howard Anders rated it really liked it
Typical of the early Griffin novels; lots of intimate detail. In this one, Griffin is assembling his cast for the war in the Pacific. There is an interesting look at the enigmatic Evans Carlson, whose acquaintance with the Roosevelt family gave him the opportunity to experiment with his organizational and tactical concepts, as learned from observing the Chinese Communists. In discussing the Makin Island raid, Griffin addresses the confusion, and resulting lack of accountability that caused 9 Rai ...more
Jose
Aug 17, 2015 Jose rated it really liked it
A little bit slower and less thrilling than Semper Fi, but great nevertheless. Great characters and story
Ben
Feb 15, 2015 Ben rated it it was ok
Just plain boring, a whole book of developing characters, no action at all
Chris
Jan 16, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
It is a pretty good book. Again short on action but rich in character development.
Tom Nolan
paperback 4x6
Reagan Boals
Mar 20, 2015 Reagan Boals rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Characters!
Andy
Jan 14, 2013 Andy rated it really liked it
I am really enjoying this series...eagerly looking forward to the next one. The characters introduced in the previous book are more layered and developed here, and it makes the reader more involved as they begin to find themselves more drawn into the war after the events of Pearl Harbor. Griffin has also done a masterful job of interweaving love stories between the Marines and their girls and the background of the war to make the story fairly intense at times.
Kevin
Mar 02, 2010 Kevin rated it really liked it
Book 2 of 'The Corps' follows our heroes during the beginning stages of WWII. It starts just after the fall of Wake Island and conclude right after the disastrous raid on Makin Island.

Again, I don't want to give anything away. I will say that in these books the war is a backdrop for very intiguing character driven stories.

I highly recommend these books. The fact I read the book in 1 day says it all.
James Burns
Aug 15, 2013 James Burns rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wish-list, fiction
This series is great for amature historians,history buffs and Marine Corps readers. It is the continuing saga 2nd LT. K (killer) Mcoy and the rest of your favorite characters, WWII is still in the early stages and the Corps is putting together a Raider BN. like the Brittish Commando's Lead by LtCol. Carleson. This takes on a journey from the conception and end results. I have a hard time putting these books down.
Fredrick Danysh
Aug 22, 2013 Fredrick Danysh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: us-marines
Historical fiction. Ken McCoy is brought back to the US following the outbreak of World War II. He debriefs several Marine intelligence officers and is granted an assignment to the Officer Training Course on the recommendation of an intelligence officer that he met in China. He also learns how to hobnob with the wealthy.
George
Oct 05, 2012 George rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic story by Griffin. It never seises to amaze me on how many books Griffin has written, and so far I havn't found a boring one. He's books are captivating and keep you in suspense throughout the entire book. Thank you W.E.B. Griffin for another entertaining book. No on to the next, "COUNTER ATTACK".
John
Sep 10, 2010 John rated it did not like it
This series stunk! I read the entire series hoping for some kind of combat action, but was disappointed time after time. The main character seemed to miss every major action of WWII...the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the invasion of the Philippines, etc. I would not recommend this series to anyone I liked!
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Hammer Heads
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Churchill and America
  • The Bloody Ground (The Starbuck Chronicles, #4)
  • Marine: A Guided Tour of a Marine Expeditionary Unit (Guided Tour)
  • The Enemy Within
  • Battle Cry
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • The Hinge of Fate (The Second World War, #4)
  • In the Shadow of the Moon: A Challenging Journey to Tranquility, 1965-1969
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

The Corps (10 books)
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)
  • Under Fire (The Corps, #9)
  • Retreat, Hell! (The Corps, #10)

“Everybody, sooner or later, stubs their toe. When that happens, the thing to do is swallow hard and go on” 0 likes
“But he just knew how to fly. All they had to do was explain to him what the propeller was doing, spinning around like that.” 0 likes