Start by marking “Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)” as Want to Read:
Call To Arms (The Corps, #2)

Call To Arms (The Corps #2)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  3,305 ratings  ·  40 reviews
The attack on Pearl Harbor swept America into the raging heart of the war. The stormy South Pacific presented a daring new challenge, and the men of the Corps were ready to fight. An elite fraternity united by a glorious tradition of courage and honor, the Marine Raiders were bound to a triumphant destiny. Now, the bestselling author of the acclaimed BROTHERHOOD OF WAR sag ...more
Published September 1st 1987 by Jove (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Call To Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Call To Arms

Ronald Wise
American World War II action — both at home and in the Pacific — from December 1941 through August 1942. The non-fiction prolog is critical to understanding much of the dialog in the novel. A military theorist having presidential pull results in the creation and use of special forces of the U.S. Corps called the Marine Raiders. This is the story behind their controversial creation and their first action on a small Pacific island. I later learned that this was the second of the ten-book Corps Ser ...more
Christopher
An excellent follow-up to Semper Fi. I like how this expanding story is about the characters and not solely about the war. In fact, the war just happens to be a backdrop for the real action, which is the development of Ken, Ernie, Pick and Company...A fun, quick read!
Tim
Feb 10, 2013 Tim added it
An excellent book. Number two in the series, giving me more historical knowledge about the immediate aftermath of the bombing of Pearl Harbor. I appreciate the way in which WEB Griffin writes these books to both entertain and inform. I will now start on the third book!
Bjoern
As nice as the first volume of this series. Honest Story of a Marine that does not do the stuff we've already read a million times about, loyal but not hyper-patriotic, very pleasant to read!
Kellie

I am trying really hard to like these books. The theme of this series is wartime, WWII in the Pacific. The characters are military men and the women in their life. The story takes place in the US for the most part in Florida, California, New York and Washington. I like the story line and some of the characters, however, I am not sure I like the author’s style.

First, some of the military reference in the book is so technical, I find myself skipping over it. It does not really interest me and I w
Michelle
Call to Arms picks up where the last left off, and leads us through the events after Pearl Harbor. A little slower than Semper Fi, we find McCoy in San Diego and Pick in Pensacola for the majority of the story. Griffin's research is top-notch, and the details around the military training, strategies and maneuvers really help the series come to life. These books leave me wanting to read more about the US role in WWII, so I will forgive the cheesy depictions of relationships and the eye-rolling di ...more
Brett Dungan
Griffin's narrative & character description flow easily, colorfully, content is well researched & believeable -> I recommend reading both books "Semper Fi" (book-1) + "Call to Arms" (book-2) together.
J.W. Thompson
Read this book years ago----love all of this authors books
Paula
Nov 21, 2012 Paula rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People who like historical fiction, People interested in learning about the USMC
The depth of the research involved in producing this book (and indeed the whole series) is really evident. And while the sheer quantity of information could have weighed the book down and rendered it unreadable, W.E.B. Griffin's skill as a storyteller prevents that.

Normally, I would have a problem with the constant long-handed way of presenting information (e.g. frequently referring to characters by their full name and rank, or referring to military property as "lamp, reading, one of" etc), but
Will
The Marine Raiders, prelude to Special Ops. The shadow of the China Marines looms as the DoD and the Navy specifically wrangle with unconventional warfare roles as espoused by Evans Carlson who observed the operations of the Chinese communists under Mao fighting the Japanese. While fought by most military brass, unconventional warfare was interesting to FDR and hence the creation of the Marine Raider Company. McCoy, Zimmerman and Banning get pulled into the fray as Pickering and Stecker slosh th ...more
Keith
Interesting book, moves quickly. I'm addicted to this series now. Would like to see more details of the battles, though. We seem to skip over them, an interesting concept for a World War II novel about Marines.
Julie
Anyone who is interested in military lore will love this series. The characters are like friends and Griffin knows how to tell a story. All around great entertainment with a good knowledge of historical events. I learned a lot as a bonus.
Mike Althouse
Excellent follow up to the first book. Couldn't put it down. The writing makes you care about the characters.
Howard Anders
Typical of the early Griffin novels; lots of intimate detail. In this one, Griffin is assembling his cast for the war in the Pacific. There is an interesting look at the enigmatic Evans Carlson, whose acquaintance with the Roosevelt family gave him the opportunity to experiment with his organizational and tactical concepts, as learned from observing the Chinese Communists. In discussing the Makin Island raid, Griffin addresses the confusion, and resulting lack of accountability that caused 9 Rai ...more
Chris
It is a pretty good book. Again short on action but rich in character development.
Andy
I am really enjoying this series...eagerly looking forward to the next one. The characters introduced in the previous book are more layered and developed here, and it makes the reader more involved as they begin to find themselves more drawn into the war after the events of Pearl Harbor. Griffin has also done a masterful job of interweaving love stories between the Marines and their girls and the background of the war to make the story fairly intense at times.
Kevin
Book 2 of 'The Corps' follows our heroes during the beginning stages of WWII. It starts just after the fall of Wake Island and conclude right after the disastrous raid on Makin Island.

Again, I don't want to give anything away. I will say that in these books the war is a backdrop for very intiguing character driven stories.

I highly recommend these books. The fact I read the book in 1 day says it all.
James Oliver Burns
This series is great for amature historians,history buffs and Marine Corps readers. It is the continuing saga 2nd LT. K (killer) Mcoy and the rest of your favorite characters, WWII is still in the early stages and the Corps is putting together a Raider BN. like the Brittish Commando's Lead by LtCol. Carleson. This takes on a journey from the conception and end results. I have a hard time putting these books down.
Fredrick Danysh
Historical fiction. Ken McCoy is brought back to the US following the outbreak of World War II. He debriefs several Marine intelligence officers and is granted an assignment to the Officer Training Course on the recommendation of an intelligence officer that he met in China. He also learns how to hobnob with the wealthy.
George
Another fantastic story by Griffin. It never seises to amaze me on how many books Griffin has written, and so far I havn't found a boring one. He's books are captivating and keep you in suspense throughout the entire book. Thank you W.E.B. Griffin for another entertaining book. No on to the next, "COUNTER ATTACK".
John
This series stunk! I read the entire series hoping for some kind of combat action, but was disappointed time after time. The main character seemed to miss every major action of WWII...the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the invasion of the Philippines, etc. I would not recommend this series to anyone I liked!
Lee
A historically accurate follow-up to "Semper Fi", the first book of the "Corps" series ... a developing story of WW2 USMCs in the Pacific. Give it 4 stars and look forward to reading "Counter Attack", the next book in the series.
David Ward
Call to Arms (The Corps #2) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1987)(Fiction - Military thriller) is the second installment in the Corps series about the USMC. My rating: 7/10, finished 1988.
Mike Hawryluk
While not as action packed as the first book "Semper Fi" I still really enjoyed this as I thoroughly enjoy reading about Killer McCoy, Pick Pickering and the gang. Highly recommend the series.
Bunny Maurer
This author loves the Marine Corps. Love interests are unrealistic and sophmoric as they were in the first book. The explanations of the training, etc., of Marines is interesting to me.
Tom
W.E.B. Griffin's epic story of the Marine Corps continues with an elite fraternity known as the Raiders taking form after the attack on Pearl Harbor.
Varun karthikeyan
this is a damn good sequel!!! bt one thing bothered me a lot there was jus not much action, may be some more action and i would hav had given this a full 5!!
Chuck
This is the second in The Corps series and we continue to follow now
Lieutenant Ken McCoy and friends through some rather dull commando
training.
Cori Arnold
I LOVED the first book and was a little disappointed when they didn't show up much in the second book.
Meakin
The story goes on. It gets better and better. Seems like World War II was just around the corner.
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • Churchill and America
  • Hammer Heads
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Into the Storm: On the Ground in Iraq (Commanders)
  • Charlie Mike
  • Vortex
  • America (Jake Grafton, #9)
  • Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows
  • Battle Cry
  • The Hinge of Fate (The Second World War, #4)
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

The Corps (10 books)
  • Semper Fi (The Corps, #1)
  • Counterattack (The Corps, #3)
  • Battleground (The Corps, #4)
  • Line of Fire (The Corps, #5)
  • Close Combat (The Corps, #6)
  • Behind the Lines (The Corps, #7)
  • In Danger's Path (The Corps, #8)
  • Under Fire (The Corps, #9)
  • Retreat, Hell! (The Corps, #10)
The Hostage (Presidential Agent, #2) Semper Fi (The Corps, #1) By Order of the President (Presidential Agent, #1) The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1) The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)