Start by marking “The Far Side Gallery” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Gallery

The Far Side Gallery (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #1)

4.40  ·  Rating Details  ·  17,305 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
1984 FarWorks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The Far Side and the Larson signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.

The Far Side Gallery is an anthology of Gary Larson's The Far Side comic strips, which were printed from 1982–1984.
Published October 1st 1984 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Gallery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Gallery

Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyDog Days by Jeff KinneyRodrick Rules by Jeff KinneyThe Last Straw by Jeff KinneyThe Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Books That Made Me Laugh Out Loud
47th out of 1,502 books — 2,142 voters
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas AdamsGood Omens by Terry PratchettLamb by Christopher MooreThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanMe Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris
Best Humorous Books
175th out of 3,118 books — 6,082 voters

More lists with this book...

Pramod Nair
Oct 11, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, art
Gary Larson, the American cartoonist and his internationally syndicated cartoon series ‘The Far Side’ – syndicated in more than 1900 newspapers – are both legendary in the annals of newspaper cartoon arena. Collected into more than twenty books, Larson’s works, which got translated into seventeen languages, has sold about forty-five million copies worldwide. With a distinctive style of illustration and creatively loaded with surrealistic humor, his single-panel cartoon strips evoke laughter by i ...more
Ronyell
Feb 24, 2014 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Gary Larson fans!!!
Far Side

Introduction:

After reading “The Far Side Gallery 3,” I was dying to check out more of Gary Larson’s “Far Side Gallery” series and I stumbled upon a collection of Gary Larson’s “Far Side Gallery” series in “The Far Side Gallery” (man, I am talking about the “Far Side Gallery” so much in this review)! Anyway, this collection of “Far Side Gallery” stories is just as memorable and hilarious as the “Far Side Gallery 3!”

What is this story about?

Basically, this “Far Side Gallery” collection contain
Stephen
Jun 23, 2010 Stephen rated it it was amazing
5.0 stars. Without a doubt, the funniest (and most clever) cartoon series ever put on paper. Gary Larson is a comic genius.
matt
Oct 15, 2011 matt rated it it was amazing

Wonderful. I grew up on these cartoons. My friend and I once made a tape (now lost to the ages, or taped over, same difference) of a fictional radio show where we verablly acted out these vignettes and reported on them like they were real news. God bless Gary Larson, wherever he is...
Thomas Strömquist
Dec 01, 2015 Thomas Strömquist rated it liked it
Shelves: book-collection
A collection volume of Larson's classic (almost exclusively) one-frame comic cartoons. Unmistakable style and often both clever and funny. Many of these did not age too well though (or it's just that I've seen them too many times) and it's not a book or books I ever re-read nowadays.
Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 24, 2009 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing
The odd and twisted world of Gary Larson, I miss his work. These stay on my shelves along with Charles Schultz work. These are two comics creators who's work stands up well to rereading. Schultz for humor and wisdom, Larson for humor and....that odd perspective on life he gives us.

I have a couple of other cartoon books in my library, they tend to make me laugh and lighten my mood at times, but I think Larson and Schultz will be around as long as there is thought and introspection along with humo
Mitchell Hahn-Branson
Jan 28, 2012 Mitchell Hahn-Branson rated it really liked it
It's a pleasure to revisit early Far Side strips and see how much Larson's sense of humor has soaked into pop culture. I don't remember the early '80s very well, but I'm guessing it was somewhat novel for a cartoonist to skew scenes of everyday life, both to create a completely bizarre alternate universe and to point out how profoundly strange and unsettling the real world was. Nowadays, it seems like most people—or most entertainers, at least—have just accepted that the world really is as odd a ...more
Kurtbg
Dec 25, 2015 Kurtbg rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Good stuff juxtaposing humans and animals to show the silliness of humans and how we're not so very different.
Philip
Jul 22, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing
I wish I could post my favorite Far Side from the book... I don't want to risk violating a batrillion copyright laws though.

Honest Abe at a podium reading:

"and so, the bartender says, Hey! That's not a duck!" (Wait for laughter)
Four score and seven years ago,..."

I think of that cartoon all the time. Sometimes I'll just randomly say, "Wait for laughter..." thinking about it.

I've decided to go through all my Far Side Gallery books. ...Larson is clutch. Twisted. But clutch.
Realini
Jul 31, 2014 Realini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

The Far Side Gallery by Gary Larson
Amusement and Uproarious fun for A Long Rainy Summer

The Far Side Gallery is hilarious, most of the time. There are jokes, lines that I did not get and others that are not my cup of tea…and we are talking about drawings here.
The uproarious parts make up for the tasteless, cryptic or hard to understand slices of a strange world, or is it Gallery at the Far Side. Come to think of it, we can’t say we haven’t been warned- we are invited at the “far side” of amuseme
Huda AbuKhoti
Jul 19, 2012 Huda AbuKhoti rated it really liked it
Crazy and hilarious. Loved it! I loved the fact that a lot of these comics are based on scientific knowledge, and if you don't have it it'll e hard to 'get' them.

I laughed a lot! and surely I'll come back to it whenever I need to change my mood.

One thing I noticed while reading it, and it really annoyed me is that a lot of people have stolen ideas from Gary's comics and made new ones which are really popular on social networks, so they're taking credit that they don't deserve.. grrr
Shannon
May 06, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lulz, graphic-novels
I really like Larson's humor. Also. I'm surprised no one mentioned it but.. I found this collection to be very "dark". A lot of the humor I thought was quite morbid. Nothing wrong with that, of course, just a few times I was actually a bit surprised. It's not all light-n-fluffy puns.
Jocelin
Jul 04, 2011 Jocelin rated it it was amazing
Everytime I read this book it always makes me laugh. I LOVE Gary Larson. His comic strips are classic. I am so sadi that he no longer puts them out. If you are having a bad day pick up a Gary Larson book it will make you feel so much better.
Donna Davis
Mar 22, 2013 Donna Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humorous, reviewed
I can't believe I am writing a review for this; it's sort like being handed an essay assignment titled "What Does Funny Mean to Me?" I suspect the king of the dark and biological cartoon, Gary Larson, has been under-reviewed because his work, which was prodigious and searingly funny until the well ran dry rather suddenly, was primarily done in the 1980's and 90's. Whatever.

My first Larson cartoon reached me by mail. My BFF back home in the Pacific Northwest sent it to me with a card at Christmas
Brendan
Sep 04, 2015 Brendan rated it it was amazing
It's difficult not to rate a Far Side collection five stars. I grew up on these comics. It's hard thinking of a time I didn't know about their existence. However, now I am much more aware of the world and these comics strike me differently. There are jokes I get now that I didn't get as a child, or jokes I thought I get that I missed completely. That does even mention the subtext of the strips that I completely glossed over. Great humor, great insight.
Denisse
Feb 02, 2014 Denisse rated it liked it
Shelves: lecturas-2014
Me costó avanzar con este libro, porque leía un par de viñetas y luego me aburría. Lo curioso es que en más de una ocasión me sacó carcajadas y leí tiras realmente brillantes. El problema es que se trata de un humor que no puedo consumir demasiado porque creo que sé cómo funciona algunas veces. Es exactamente lo mismo que hace en Chile, Alberto Montt. A mí no me gusta Montt porque no disfruto los trabajos digitales, no puedo ver sus dibujos sin que me apeste su forma de colorear, pero el humor e ...more
Sarah Kelleher
Jun 28, 2010 Sarah Kelleher rated it it was amazing
I have all the Far Side Galleries today because I stole them from my parents shelves when I was a kid... I poured over all of them a zillion times, each time I would "get" a few more of the cartoons.

Now I give them to my stepkids to read and they are the same way I was... they love looking at them, but don't exactly get them all. We sit in the living room and pass around the different books, pointing out funny ones to read, and they ask me about the ones that they don't get and I tell them what
Tabi Rae
Aug 14, 2014 Tabi Rae rated it it was amazing
I love The Far Side! I first discovered these collections through my uncle, and started building my own set of books. Gary Larson brings so much humor to a single frame comic, and the fact that he is able to bring science humor to unscientific people (like myself) is amazing. I've actually learned a lot of really obscure nature trivia from these comics, and the history ones are even funnier. I always go back to these books when I need a pick-me-up, or just to relive the laughter.
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it liked it
The Far Side comic strips offer alternate views of events and situations. Most commonly, Larson uses animals to present his thoughts and views. The humor is rather uneven: there are some hilarious ROTFL-type cartoons, while others leave you scratching your head. I suppose the range of situations that Larson uses for his comics is one factor causing the inconsistent feel.
Joshua
May 22, 2015 Joshua rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
3.5 stars - some good ones in here. Larson captures some of the oddness and idiosyncrasies of life in an almost pessimistic humour. The many science-related cartoons show remarkable insight into how scientists see the world (a lot have 'inside' jokes), and that they really aren't too different from the rest of humanity, after all.
WT Sharpe
Jul 01, 2015 WT Sharpe rated it it was amazing
When Gary Larson Retired in 1995 I'd wager that zoo personnel and everyone whoever worked at a veterinary clinic went into morning. If I was King of the World I'd force him out of retirement. His humor always cracks more up.
Jdetrick
Jul 01, 2015 Jdetrick rated it it was amazing
The Far Side is either a strip you get or one you don't. Suffice it to say that I love Gary Larson's odd way of viewing the world, and while a small number of strips don't land for me, the overwhelming majority do.
Mar 05, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Apparently I've read this collection so many times, I couldn't find the first few pages engaging! So I went through the book backwards instead! Another great collection of Larson's cartoon. Some classics in this one.
Martyn Halm
Feb 10, 2014 Martyn Halm rated it really liked it
Larson's genius to often tell a whole story in just one or two frames is incredible. Although I enjoyed this collection, you need some understanding of American history and customs to fully appreciate the humour.
Carrie
Jun 10, 2015 Carrie marked it as dnf
Shelves: humor, library, comic
Returned it to the library without finishing it. Some was funny and made me chuckle but over all it was just kinda meh. I'll try the next volume at a later date and see if I find it humorous.
Hank Stuever
Feb 14, 2014 Hank Stuever rated it it was amazing
High school: Janice and I sitting at the kitchen table at her house eating cookie dough and laughing so hard at these cartoons we couldn't breathe. (Are they still that funny?)
Valerie
Gary Larson's cartoons are among the most popular among scientists, and have a tendency to be posted on office doors.

I should point out, however, that some of the cartoons are scientifically inaccurate. Cephalopods not only don't mate in a
pair-bonding lifemate 'marriage'-type situation. They don't mate at all. Their first mating is the last act of their lives, and they die within hours afterward.

There are some of my favorite cartoons in this collection, which is why I had it set aside. The prefa
Min Yee
Jul 11, 2014 Min Yee rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Hilarious and nice drawing comics. This book contains the collection of comic strips from previous books “The Far Side,” “Beyond the Far Side,” and “In Search of the Far Side”. Although I never read his previous comics before this but I quite like the collection from this book.
Jaime Contreras
Mar 11, 2014 Jaime Contreras rated it liked it
I read this as a guilty pleasure because the weird humor of Garry larson speaks to me. The sublime and ridiculous does give me a chuckle. This was a good collection.
Rich
May 22, 2008 Rich rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
A single Far Side cartoon can evoke any number of reactions from people. Usually good ones (from the people I choose to hang out with, anyway.) A collection of Far Side cartoons has a totally different effect. When viewed side by side, for any extended length of time, the effect multiplies not just cumulatively, but exponentially. I have almost had to be hospitalized a number of times due to Far Side induced seizures. The first time I read this collection I needed an asthma inhaler by the time I ...more
What is supposed to the funniest part of... 3 20 Jun 13, 2014 06:32AM
  • Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat
  • Penguin Dreams and Stranger Things (A Bloom County Book)
  • FoxTrot: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Childhood Is Hell
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

The Far Side Gallery Anthologies (5 books)
  • The Far Side Gallery 2