Start by marking “Murder Ink: The Mystery Reader's Companion” as Want to Read:
Murder Ink: The Mystery Reader's Companion

Murder Ink: The Mystery Reader's Companion

Thoughtful and amusing articles about the mystery genre by authors, critics and fans.
Published January 1st 1977 by Workman Pub

To ask other readers questions about Murder Ink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder Ink

Greg Z
Mar 03, 2017 Greg Z rated it really liked it
I bought a copy way back when this first came out in 1977. Agatha Christie had just passed, and this is as much a homage to her as to many other mystery writers. It's a great reference book for looking up pre-1977 mystery books/authors and I've had it on my shelves now for 40 (!!!) years, visiting it every now and then: like staying in touch with an old friend.
Elizabeth Williams
Apr 09, 2009 Elizabeth Williams rated it it was amazing
I found an old dusty copy of this for free at a yardsale, then later accidently bought it at a bookstore. WORTH IT! Note: Too big to be read in the bath.
Jill Hutchinson
Jul 24, 2013 Jill Hutchinson rated it really liked it
What fun for the mystery lover! This book, compiled by the owner of the famous NYC mystery book store, Murder Ink, is a collection of short essays from authors, fans, and editors about everything mystery........from mystery organizations through Poirot's death, how to avoid being poisoned, blunt instruments as murder weapons, and laundering money. All essays are based on information taken from famous (and not so famous) mystery literature. It is irreverent, fact filled, and sometimes really funn ...more
Judith Shadford
Jan 18, 2016 Judith Shadford rated it liked it
Second reading. I bought the initial edition in 1977 when it came out. It was thrilling then, interesting now. So much has changed in the mystery-crime genre, so many first-rate writers, shattering all the old formulae. But Murder Ink, and its compatriot, Murderess Ink (which I'll reread next) are pretty valuable historical accounts. And I think they noted the rise of the genre in America, the mystery bookstores, resurgence of Dorothy L Sayers, maybe even tilted decision-making at PBS in introdu ...more
Kevin Fitzsimmons
Jul 09, 2014 Kevin Fitzsimmons rated it it was amazing
I like this book so much I keep it on a shelf next to my bible. A great compilation of articles and illustrations about the mystery genre that never fails to entertain me. Published over thirty years ago an update is desperately needed, but the information here is solid enough that it provides a firm grounding in the various mystery genres.
Peter
Apr 15, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of the mystery
This is an amazing collection of works about mystery writing. It tells readers all they ever would want to know about the genre. I also noticed that it has been updated and I will absolutely HAVE to get the update. This is a "must read" for anyone who even remotely likes mystery writing. Keep the faith.
John Peel
Aug 22, 2015 John Peel rated it it was amazing
An absolutely delightful, funny and informative trip through pretty much everything you'll need to know to read (or write)mystery stories. It includes a short piece by a friend of mine, Bill Vande Water, on the love of mysteries set at Christmas.
Rich
Mar 12, 2010 Rich rated it it was amazing
Excellent collection of articles about mystery writers. Talks about thier stle and motivation as well as what made the writers interesting. Recommended read.
Brendan  McAuliffe
Apr 23, 2013 Brendan McAuliffe rated it liked it
Read this a long time ago
Anmiryam
Anmiryam rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Harper
Harper rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Louise Carlson Stowell
Louise Carlson Stowell rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Storyheart
Storyheart rated it liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Dandie
Dandie rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2012
Josephine
Josephine rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2011
Betsy
Betsy rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Randee
Randee rated it really liked it
May 03, 2014
PATRICIA DUNN
PATRICIA DUNN rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Nona
Nona rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2011
Elko Dunstable
Elko Dunstable rated it really liked it
Apr 20, 2014
Joanne Thomson
Joanne Thomson rated it really liked it
Oct 14, 2010
Ralph
Ralph rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2013
Katherine Coble
Katherine Coble rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2009
Lisa Rector
Lisa Rector rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2017
Stewart Tame
Stewart Tame rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Meloney C
Meloney C rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Ashley Lambert-Maberly
Ashley Lambert-Maberly rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2013
Virag
Virag rated it really liked it
Mar 12, 2010
Relax
Relax rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2008
Twoina
Twoina rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014