Start by marking “Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)

Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)

Jo Beth Siddon is a bloodhound trainer with a special talent for harrowing search-and-rescue missions, and a bad habit for mouthing off to deputies who refuse to take orders from a woman.She has seen her share of trouble: moonshiners poking guns at her head, crooked cops, and an abusive ex-husband with a terrible temper. Then she's suspected of murder and finds herself tre ...more
Published July 1st 1996 by HarperTorch (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Bloodhound Red, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in Bloodhound Red

Lori Whitwam
Dec 26, 2007 Lori Whitwam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-dog
I read this book shortly after it came out, and it inspired me to do something I never do... write to an author. I found that Virginia Lanier was in her 60s and had written this book at age 62. She had recently retired, along with her husband Hoss. They weren't in great health. She read a book and threw it on the table, declaring she could write better. Hoss said, "So do it." She had a million excuses. No education, couldn't spell, didn't have anywhere to write. Hoss bought her a dictionary, a u ...more
Jen
Apr 27, 2009 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am about to finish this one, and what a page-turner!
At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it. The heroine is a bit too feminist and ball-breaking for me, plus her smoking habit makes me feel like I can't breathe. The book is well-written, however, and I can see where the constant attention to detail is necessary. I mean, if you raised and trained bloodhounds for things like search & rescue, tracking, drug sniffing and arson detection, of course you would pay attention to detail. Much
Gloria
Jun 22, 2015 Gloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
The only single thing I can say against this book is that it is unnecessarily long at 461 pgs.

Now for the good stuff... Virginia Lanier did not begin writing this series until she was in her 60s, after working decades in the deep South during the years of Civil Rights and good ole boy attitudes. In this, her excellent debut mystery about an outspoken amateur female detective who leads bloodhound searches for all types of missing persons, her love for and her regret about the American South emerg
Liz
Dec 28, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
Recommended to Liz by: Cat
Very fun read. Takes place in my neighborhood in SE Georgia and the working bloodhound stuff was interesting. I didn't care for the protagonist's Stephanie-Plum-like need to describe her clothes and makeup and her ability to attract all the hunky men but the book was still very fun. And although I read all the Stephanie Plum books, I much prefer JoBeth Siddon, who knows how to crawl around in the swamp and isn't as quick to need the help of some hunky guy to save her from her own mistakes.
Donna
Apr 08, 2010 Donna rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
First book in this series I have read. Not good enough to read another. The main character is just too much of a ball-breaking, in-your-face woman. I am a strong feminist but I found her obnoxious.
Morgan Stansell
Feb 11, 2014 Morgan Stansell rated it it was amazing
Greatest series ever. I first read these when I was in fourth grade (backwards, of course) and then several times after that. Most important series of my life after Harry Potter.
Becca
Jun 13, 2008 Becca rated it did not like it
Terrible writing and the longest book in creation. I had to finish it because I hoped it would get better. NEVER again with this author The tedious detail included make me want to shoot myself.
Leslie Angel
Jan 13, 2017 Leslie Angel rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
First bloodhound book; there are 6. Don't have to read in order except for the last one should be last.
Nicole
Oct 05, 2009 Nicole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting with a crime to solve using her blood hounds. Totally different world than i live in. She is a no nonsense gal that can talk anyone into place with words not always very feminine. She owns and runs a blood hound breeding compound and then trains them to sniff out drugs as well as for search and rescue in the Okefenokee swamp. She does all this with the fear that her ex is going to come after her. There are Language issues though. But, I am obviously not a saint becasue I read mo ...more
Kristen
Nov 09, 2010 Kristen rated it liked it
I've started to read this series a few years ago and haven't finished the series since. There's one more book left I need to read next year to read the whole series. This is a great mystery featuring Jo Beth Sidden, who's a search and rescue dog handler, who searches for missing people, does drug sweeps, and sniffs out the bad guys. Jo Beth also has troubles of her own with a violent ex-husband and a few people who want her heart, as she runs, breeds and trains her own bloodhounds. If you love a ...more
Helen
Aug 04, 2008 Helen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dog lovers/ mystery lovers
Recommended to Helen by: bookstore
The voice in this novel is so authentic I felt as if I was listening to a friend telling me her experiences. Each chapter is packed with action and intriguing discriptions of the Florida swamp country, the inhabitants (human, reptile, insect and mammal) of Jo Beth Sideen's world. I couldn't bear to miss a single sentence by skipping ahead to find out how the book ended as I often do with formula mysteries. This isn't just a novel. It is an experience not to be missed.
Lvolk
Sep 29, 2011 Lvolk rated it it was amazing
This book was really suspenseful and made me laugh too, well, little chuckles here and there. YOu can tell it was written by someone who was from the South or had lived here a long time. The sayings the author used in the story were funny! The personality of the main character was a little different; not predictable. For one thing, her livelihood isn't typical for a female. She's a tough cookie in more ways than one. I liked her.
Doug Dams
Oct 11, 2011 Doug Dams rated it liked it
This is the first of Virginia's Bloodhound books. I liked the story, the characters and the bloodhounds. The setting of the stories near the Okefenokee swamps also provides an interest to the reader. Being from the midwest, I haven't experienced the swamps. Some of the characters are a bit of a stereotype, but it's not enough to hurt the story. A good story with an amateur sleuth as the central character makes for a good read.
Homerun2
Sep 13, 2016 Homerun2 rated it really liked it
A very different read. Lots of interesting plot twists, nicely paced. A truly unique setting and the parts of the book that dealt with tracking using bloodhounds was fascinating. The prickly heroine was sometimes admirable and sometimes exasperating but definitely one of a kind with a strong and singular voice.
Janell
May 25, 2012 Janell rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I liked the story.. I hated the nitty gritty detail. I don't care about five minutes of furniture shopping or her desire for a specific kind of jam on toast... just tell the story. I know that seems mighty whambamthankyoumaam of me but truly, she did wander more than just a tad. That being said, I liked the overall plot, loved the characters, and have continued on in the series.
Meagan Brantley
Feb 15, 2014 Meagan Brantley rated it really liked it
WARNING: SPOILER! I loved this book by the end! As a bloodhound owner the last several chapters were very difficult to read for me. I found myself cradling my Clara after I finished the book. Bloodhounds are so unique and truly magnificent animals--the author does a fabulous job showing their character and courage to the world.
Diane
May 04, 2009 Diane rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Virginia Lanier did not disapoint in the 2nd book of the Bloodhound series. The tension builds through the story. I love Jo Beth Siddons. She has her flaws but she is a gutsy - go after what you want type gal. She is a bit over defensive with regards to her tracking business and the different police departments but all and all she is a great main character.
Sastrugi7
Jul 12, 2015 Sastrugi7 rated it liked it
Juvenile writing style, WAY too much tedious detail - eg. cleaning the house, how she dresses. Obnoxious main character, as bad as the men she ridicules. I would have given this two stars but the story line (when you ignore the immature style) held my interest. This could have been a good story if the author was a better writer, or had a good editor.
Janet
Jun 22, 2011 Janet added it
Shelves: failed-attempts
This has got to be the slowest book I've ever read. I'm 170 pages in and there's still no plot. All I've gotten are feminist rants, bloodhound search-and-rescues, manic self-defence measures, way too many flashbacks, and vague hints about both a will and an abusive ex. I'm not slogging through the remaining 291 pages in vain hopes of a plot showing up.
Leo
Mar 06, 2015 Leo rated it it was amazing
My wife and I love this whole Bloodhound series and have often recommended it to others but have rather lost track since it has been some time since the last one was written and there will be no more.
Karen Cowgill
Dec 15, 2015 Karen Cowgill rated it really liked it
I liked the book. I love the dogs, but she is just a little too feministic for me. I am all for her rants on how women were treated... it is set awhile back, but I wish she had focused a little more on suspense than political science. This IS worth the read, though.
Deanna
Oct 06, 2007 Deanna rated it really liked it
I loved her books. She started wrtign very late in life shen she threw a book across the room and told her husband she could write better. She bought her a typewriter! Love the true life story of someone changing their life so late.
Patty
Apr 15, 2012 Patty rated it liked it
As characters go Jo Beth Siddens isn't the most sympathetic, and probably won't be among my favorites, but Virginia Lanier tells a good story with just enough plot twists to keep things interesting. And there are dogs.
AmyJo
Jan 13, 2017 AmyJo rated it really liked it
I re read this book this week because I was waiting for several books from the library but the snow has kept me homebound. I really like this book, I first read in in 2000. Times have changed and they haven't. It was good to re read it.
Lori
Jun 10, 2016 Lori rated it it was ok
I had to bail halfway through. She just was too much. Too confrontational 24/7 and too busy to seem real to me. I was intrigued at first, but then she never really showed any self awareness or took any time for reflection. Seemed like a very well fleshed-out cartoon, not a real girl.
lynn
Nov 11, 2009 lynn rated it it was amazing
These stories are great if you like murder mysteries with some excitement in the investigation. You easily become connected with the main character, her life and her bloodhounds.
Gd
Aug 03, 2009 Gd added it
read all of her series ,sadly virginia has passed away,and there will be no more.loved every book she wrote
Michelle
Jul 25, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this one when I read it smart sassy protagonist very real. look forward to reading the rest in this series.
Alissa
Dec 17, 2008 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoyed the protagonist in this series, and even though I'm not a big dog lover, I found the bloodhound training to be fascinating.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
This is the first book in Lanier's "Bloodhound Series." I loved the characters and the story. I look forward to reading more from this series.
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • Bark M For Murder
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
An author who penned the popular "Bloodhound" series of mystery books and published her first book at age 65.

Her first book, Death in Bloodhound Red, released in April of 1995, was nominated for three literary awards: the Agatha, the Anthony, and the Macavity for the "Best First Mystery Novel in 1995."

Series:
* Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery
More about Virginia Lanier...

Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery (7 books)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane