Start by marking “The House on Bloodhound Lane” as Want to Read:
The House on Bloodhound Lane

The House on Bloodhound Lane (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #2)

The House on Bloodhound Lane
Mass Market Paperback, 371 pages
Published July 1st 1997 by HarperTorch (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The House on Bloodhound Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on Bloodhound Lane

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganWhere the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Great "Dog" Books
909 books — 1,700 voters
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainMidnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Best Southern Books
576 books — 721 voters

More lists with this book...

John Carter
Jul 04, 2014 John Carter rated it liked it
I picked up five of Lanier’s Bloodhound series at a three-for-a-dollar, proceeds-to-charity used book sale, and when I got home and put them on my Goodreads to-read shelf I was startled to find that—out of the thirty-some I’d bought—they made up five of the six most highly rated; ranging from 4.19 to 4.26. From the back covers they didn’t sound that good.

Well, they’re not. But I’m giving this one a solid three stars. The writing was good, the characters engaging—by which I mean the bloodhounds.
Lynn Stenger
Apr 05, 2011 Lynn Stenger rated it liked it
I read the whole series...if you love dogs and mystery you will love them. Virginia Lanier passed away a few years ago while I was reading the series. She had bloodhounds of her own so in her books she speaks from true experience. Loved them!
Linda
Feb 20, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Older style mystery was enjoyable to me. No blood or guts, no thrills. Just a plain story with twists and turns and surprises. Works for me!
Cherry Williams
Jan 25, 2014 Cherry Williams rated it it was amazing
It is a crime that little of this amazing series is on Kindle. The heroine raises bloodhounds in South Georgia as tracking and scent hounds. Each story is a rich, layered, complex tale involving crime, wife beating for Jo Beth was an abused wife before she divorced, racial relations and traditions in the South, life in the swamps, romance, all in a heady brew of suspense, excitement, and fun. Jo Beth is a heroine to admire and root for as a survivor and thriver.
Casey Coleman
Mar 05, 2008 Casey Coleman rated it liked it
I liked the mystery of this book and the different setting: the bloodhound training facility. I didn't really like the lead character because I found her a little too know-it-all and not bumbly in any way. I love when a character is bumbling and fumbling, at least a little, because it makes them real.

Overall: a fun, quick read.
Lora Jones
Aug 04, 2015 Lora Jones rated it it was amazing
This was a "new to me" author, and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I was a little uncomfortable at first with the protagonist, as she is different than other main characters in books that I like. But by the end of the book I loved her irreverent take on justice and loyalty. I also loved her dogs.
Doug Dams
Oct 11, 2011 Doug Dams rated it really liked it
I liked this story more than the first book in the series. It involves a kidnapping and JoBeth's bloodhounds help solve the mystery. Added to the story is another story line involving JoBeth's violent ex-husband. I could do without this story line, but it does allow the author to explore the character of JoBeth from a different angle. These books are fun to read.
Michelle
Jul 25, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
really enjoying this series. Love love love the protaganist. she is such a strong female smart, witty and thinks outside the box at the same time she is flawed adn real. Love that the ending of this one got me and that she left you hanging can not wait to read the next in the series.
Liz
Dec 28, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it
Recommended to Liz by: Cat
Another fast paced bloodhound novel. Very fun. One annoyance was her hinting at then not resolving a certain major issue (trying to avoid spoilers here) but that only means I am right to read them in order, not take them as stand-alone books.
Shawnee Bowlin
Nov 06, 2011 Shawnee Bowlin rated it liked it
Good story, just didn't grab me like some do. It was nice to learn about Bloodhounds since I knew nothing about that breed. I did enjoy the author's mystery about the kidnapped man. Great job with that.
April
Jul 21, 2012 April rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, mystery
An interesting mystery with bloodhounds and a cantankerous dog trainer as the main.

Most of the descriptions are terse and dry but it was a quick and fun read with lots of interesting information and characters.
Rosemary
Jan 31, 2009 Rosemary rated it really liked it
I loved this series of mysteries, not only for the character and plot development but because I found the training and work of bloodhounds to be really fascinating.
Marianne
Oct 12, 2011 Marianne rated it really liked it
First time with this author. Took me a while to get into this book, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.
Kelsey
Oct 29, 2013 Kelsey rated it liked it
Shelves: first-semester
It had a good story line but tended to be a bit boring at times and there was bad language which is annoying to hear.
Terrie
Jun 30, 2008 Terrie rated it really liked it
The central plot resolves, but the book ends in a cliffhanger. Unfortunately it is not resolved in the next book, either, though it's alluded to.
Dee
Feb 25, 2008 Dee rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
I read all of Virginia Lanier's books in the same year--great for dog fans and detective fans alike!
Melissa
Feb 21, 2012 Melissa rated it really liked it
I really enjoy this series by Lanier. It is about Jo Beth Sidden and her bloodhounds who are used to track.
Amy
Dec 27, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Nice lightweight beach read. Kinda fun.
Alissa
Dec 17, 2008 Alissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I really enjoyed the protagonist in this series, and even though I'm not a big dog lover, I found the bloodhound training to be fascinating.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
good page turner
Susan
Sep 09, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
I read this series many years ago, and have thought of them often..there was a begining, middle and end, full circle to main characters' life..
Grandma
Mar 07, 2015 Grandma rated it it was amazing
Great book about blood hounds.
Lvolk
Oct 06, 2011 Lvolk rated it it was amazing
Another good one by Virginia Lanier.
Margaret
Margaret rated it it was amazing
Aug 04, 2014
Phyllis
Phyllis rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2011
William Gibson
William Gibson rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2011
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
May 18, 2012
Jennifer Hamblin
Jennifer Hamblin rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Wrena
Wrena rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2015
  • Bark M For Murder
  • Hair of the Dog (Melanie Travis, #4)
  • Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
An author who penned the popular "Bloodhound" series of mystery books and published her first book at age 65.

Her first book, Death in Bloodhound Red, released in April of 1995, was nominated for three literary awards: the Agatha, the Anthony, and the Macavity for the "Best First Mystery Novel in 1995."

Series:
* Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery
More about Virginia Lanier...

Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery (7 books)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • A Brace of Bloodhounds