Start by marking “Interpreter of Maladies / The Namesake” as Want to Read:
Interpreter of Maladies / The Namesake

Interpreter of Maladies / The Namesake

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  2,374 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Jhumpa Lahiri took the literary world by storm when her debut collection, Interpreter of Maladies, won the Pulitzer Prize in 2000. The collection was followed by her best-selling and critically acclaimed novel The Namesake—a finely wrought, deeply moving family drama. Presenting these works together here, this edition displays Lahiri’s enormous talent as a storyteller.
Published November 15th 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about Interpreter of Maladies / The Namesake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Interpreter of Maladies / The Namesake

Nicolien
Aug 16, 2013 Nicolien rated it really liked it
"Miranda folded her arms across her chest and looked Rohin in the eyes. 'Tell me something.'
He was silent.
'What does it mean?'
'What?'
'That word. "Sexy." What does it mean?'
He looked down, suddenly shy. 'I can't tell you.'
'Why not?'
'It's a secret.' He pressed his lips together, so hard that a bit of them went white.
'Tell me the secret. I want to know.'
Rohin sat on the bed beside Miranda and began to kick the edge of the mattress with the backs of his shoes. He giggled nervously, his thin body fli
Gabriel Valjan
Aug 31, 2012 Gabriel Valjan rated it really liked it
I'll be honest: didn't like Interpreter of Maladies on the first-go. I had read The Namesake first and was spoiled by the experience. When I went to Interpreter I couldn't get through it because it felt like I was being cheated, given the window display when I knew that there was more behind the counter. I had that knowledge because I had read a full-length, in depth display of the author's narrative power. As the old adage goes in programming: the end-user is an idiot and that idiot was me. The ...more
Angela
Sep 05, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing
I can't honestly say enough about this book, Jhumpa Lahiri, or her ability to gently tell stories that don't change your life, but make you feel part of a giant, overwhelming world. Her prose is perfect. Her sentence structure flawless. She is my literary idol and I am anxious for her to write something new. Nothing about her writing will make you stay up past midnight trying to get to the end and it's this very kind pacing that I appreciate most. Her characters are real people who are relatable ...more
Eva Lim
Mar 05, 2012 Eva Lim rated it really liked it
I really liked the short stories and it's a wonderful collection, excellent reading. As for the namesake, it's a delight to read this novel, story about immigration and clash between two cultures....A son that has an identity crisis"ABCD" American Born Confused Desis. His parents clings to their Ethnic Background and traditions.
Terry
Dec 15, 2013 Terry rated it it was amazing
My niece, a 27-yr old science girl, asked me for a book for Christmas. I was moved. Yesterday I walked to a brick and mortar bookstore near my house and lovingly purchased Interpreter of Maladies for her. Thumbing through the stories before wrapping, I am overtaken again by the book's beauty.
Kathy
Sep 04, 2013 Kathy rated it it was amazing
I read just The Interpreter of Maladies... So beautifully written. Reminded me of Olive Kitteridge with its little glimpses of humanity and the funny/sad things that happen everyday. One of those rare books that I wanted to read as slowly as possible so that it would last longer.
Yi Lin
Apr 08, 2012 Yi Lin rated it it was amazing
I really liked her poetic writing style. It was lovely reading it :)
Donna
Oct 09, 2016 Donna added it
Not a big fan of short stories. I enjoyed The Lowlands very much and The Namesake was ok.
Lucy8C
Jan 04, 2011 Lucy8C rated it liked it
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it really liked it
Interpreter of Maladies:-

Unlike the other works of her I read before this, this collection of short stories is smooth like a properly aged mild liqueur, and comforting, without the raw edges in her other works that I read before that gave a pain sometimes, often dull, sometimes sharp - which did not detract from the literary qualities of those works, but rather enhanced the experience for a reader familiar with her world.

Lahiri either always was or is developing into a rather fine author and d
Kurt
Aug 21, 2013 Kurt rated it liked it
79. Interpretor of Maladies, by Jhumpa Lahiri. 198 pages.

Jhumpa Lahiri is an ethnic Bengali writer, born in London. brought up in America, who writes in English. As someone caught between the rootless culture of the modern developed world and the more tradition-bound culture of India, she is well positioned to exploit that vague sense of unease that we feel when we turn our back on our roots and traditions. The short stories collected in this Pulitzer Prize-winning volume focus on different aspe
Linda Bouley
Jul 18, 2012 Linda Bouley rated it really liked it
This book of short stories, assigned for my book club, won the Pulitzer Prize. At first I didn't really care for it and was a little nonplussed that I wouldn't be over-the-moon about a book of that stature. But I kept reading and felt attracted to the main characters in each story. Each was deeply steeped in their Indian culture and in some way struggling to integrate themselves into their lives be it in India or as immigrants. During the book club meeting discussion, I began to realize that in ...more
Arielle Rubinstein
Aug 12, 2016 Arielle Rubinstein rated it really liked it
"Interpreter of Maladies" consisted of a series of a short stories describing the challenging dichotomy faced by immigrants settling into a new country--that of maintaining traditions from the homeland while simultaneously assimilating to the pervasive dominant culture. The novellas are connected by common motifs that explore the nature of relationships between lovers, friends, family members etc, posing the question: What constitutes a family/home?

"The namesake," a novel, explores the themes o
Tiffany
Dec 16, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it
"Interpreter of Maladies", by itself, gets 5 stars. "The Namesake" comes in at 4; it's good, very good, written in such a way that the large span of time covered is seamless and almost thoughtlessly easy to follow (my greatest gripe with books that span several years is the constant flipping back and forth I have to do to remember where -- when -- I am), but somehow almost unbearably depressing. I swear, when I pictured this book in my head, I saw everything in so many different permutations of ...more
Ernestine
Mar 11, 2012 Ernestine rated it really liked it
If I were to grade these stories I would give them an "A"! They are well written, they are multi-layered with issues that leave you thinking and provide a lot of topics for discussion. Arranged marriages, cultural clashes, and universal themes of how we treat each other are all dealt with in a very sensitive manner. I did not give it 5 stars because I felt there was a formula that she followed for each story that made them feel like a homework assignment. However, she did an excellent job on her ...more
Maria
Jul 24, 2012 Maria rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of short stories and was so glad to have discovered this J. Lahiri. She is well-deserving for the acclaim she has received for this work.

All the stories stick and despite the fact that the characters are all from the subcontinent of Asia, the immigrant themes are quite universal. In addition, her stories are much more meatier than other short stoies that I have read recently (9 in total here), which make for thorough details and room for subtle stuff too. None disappoints.
Lisa Ann
Sep 27, 2013 Lisa Ann rated it it was amazing
She is one of my favorite writers having been introduced to her short stories in INterpreters of Maladies and i think a piece that was in the New Yorker several years ago. She's not prolific, therefore her newest book, just realeased last week by Amazon sits next to one of my reading chairs!

Don't judge her by the movie, The Namesake. It was an OK movie , and a terrific book. I'm drawing a blank on her next book, it was also shortstories and I read it and listened to it back and forth on a trip t
Neil Crossan
Sep 28, 2010 Neil Crossan rated it really liked it
Lahiri understands that time is of the essence in these short stories, so she doesn’t waste time outs in the 2nd half on defense and understands how an two minute drill is supposed to be run. He spots the open man looks away the safety, she doesn’t turn it over in the red zone. Bottom line, she throws the ball to T.O. because he can make plays. But she still talks about Indian food too much. (7/10)
Leah Polcar
Amazing. Reading through a few Goodreads reviews, I am surprised by those who didn't like it from the beginning; I found it outstanding from the first page and blew through it in a day. I am not surprised however at the high ratings: this was after all a Pulitzer Prize winner for Fiction (a collection of short stories nonetheless!), but I am unbelievably envious that it was also a debut collection. I plan on reading everything by Lahiri I can get my hands on.
Henrique Medina
Oct 22, 2013 Henrique Medina rated it it was amazing
El intérprete de sueños es una serie de historias sobre familias, parejas e individuos en India refleja la mayoría la realidad del indiano como inmigrante y su adaptación a marcos culturales distintos a la idiosincrasia milenaria que llevan a cuestas, sus soledades, sus sueños y luchas e incluso sus frustraciones. Esta serie de relatos cortos es una obra completa, viva y envolvente salida de la pluma de Lahiri.
Abby
Jan 12, 2014 Abby rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Jhumpa Lahiri writes such touching, melancholy accounts of the true struggles of being alone, lost, or in a place you don't know well while longing for a place you miss through her tales of immigrants, and provides insightful, equally melancholy accounts of human life and our tendencies to push away our past, our culture, and even those we love most.
Ann-Marie
This is about The Namesake only. I have not read the Interpreter of Maladies. I am disappointed! I have heard and red so much about Jhumpa Lahiri and her amazing novels and I guess I had high expectations. Its an easy read novel about an Indian family in America but absolutely nothing more. I cant understand whats so special about it. ...more
Jen
Apr 17, 2016 Jen rated it it was ok
I got about halfway through both of these books. I read both, for different reasons related to work. They both had some really great moments, but ultimately just weren't interesting enough to finish. The author has some great descriptive passages, but doesn't bring a whole lot of suspense and excitement.
Marcy Auguste
Feb 21, 2011 Marcy Auguste rated it it was amazing

This was the first book of Ms. Lahiri's I ever read and I really enjoyed it. It made me laugh and cry and was a great experience in my first foray into more ethnic books. Its like she says in the Namesake, reading books allows us to travel around the world without having to go to the places we read about.
Ami
Jun 04, 2012 Ami rated it it was amazing
I adored this book. Each story was a gem. I learned much about Indian culture in these well told stories. Lahiri is a fabulous writer and truly deserved the Pulitzer Prize for this collection. In that my partner is Pakistani, my interest was heightened in the subject matter. I hope to read more of her works in the future.
Carola
Mar 18, 2012 Carola rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I like the way the author reveals information about her characters. Every story in the collection was worth reading, and they vary enough that they don't feel repetitive. The relationships amongst characters are often fraught, but I was not left with an overall dreary feeling. The common human frailties are portrayed with compassion.
Shannon Shepherd
Jul 10, 2016 Shannon Shepherd rated it it was amazing
I usually struggle to feel attached to a collection of short stories, but I had no trouble with this anthology. To borrow the words of Langston Hughes, these tales felt like a collection of, "the human soul entire." Painful. Heartfelt. Beautiful.
Murray
Feb 04, 2012 Murray rated it it was amazing
I usually don't like to read collections of short stories, but this one is so highly regarded -- and I liked "The Namesake" so much, I decided to read this one. Each story is compelling, well-written and enjoyable.
Rhoda Baxter
Mar 12, 2012 Rhoda Baxter rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up after hearing about on the radio. I read the first story and I cried. The writing is beautiful. The stories are images from the middle class Indian diaspora - some are sad, some not. It's a wonderful little book of stories. I've read it twice. I'd read it again.
Redwan Orittro
Nov 17, 2013 Redwan Orittro rated it it was amazing
Brilliant piece of writing. Each story deals with a different aspect of life. The stories are simple and engaging....will make you wonder, 'Hey!! I could have come up with this story...but I didn't.' I would like to call it "A little piece of Bengal"
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Still Wild: Short Fiction of the American West 1950 to the Present
  • Folklore, Memoirs, and Other Writings
  • The Best Short Stories by Black Writers: 1899 - 1967
  • I'm With the Bears: Short Stories from a Damaged Planet
  • The Serpents of Paradise: A Reader
  • The Ruskin Bond Omnibus: Ghost Stories From The Raj; Nightmare Tales; Book Of Haunted Houses; Scary Stories
  • That Distant Land: The Collected Stories
  • In Search of Snow
  • Extremities: Stories of Death, Murder, and Revenge
  • The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2013
Nilanjana Sudeshna "Jhumpa" Lahiri was born in London and brought up in South Kingstown, Rhode Island. Brought up in America by a mother who wanted to raise her children to be Indian, she learned about her Bengali heritage from an early age.

Lahiri graduated from South Kingstown High School and later received her B.A. in English literature from Barnard College in 1989. She then received multiple d
More about Jhumpa Lahiri...